millipedes

zone 6a, KY

How do you get rid of millipedes in the soil? I don't want them eating up the roots and I noticed them in a few plants.

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh Honey, I don't know anything about anything that has a million legs.. Ewww!!

Good Luck.. I'm going to bed on this one because I know someone smarter than me will come to answer this for you soon.

G'nite

Mount Vernon, OH

The only way I know how to is to change the soil with fresh sterile soil. Then use a soapy water to wash the the plant and soil afterwards (a gentle soap) Most of the time they are hard to get rid of because of the eggs they lay in the soil. Good luck!

zone 6a, KY

I have only noticed it in new plants bought locally, but they are the same kind that are outdoors here. I planned to do a lot of repotting anyway this spring. I wonder if neem would get rid of them eventually. I guess in the spring, I can get more aggressive about control. I think they don't like hydrogen peroxide very much.

Mount Vernon, OH

Most likely they came from something outside once, because they are known more for being in outside soil. You could try neem but normally doesn't phase them but maybe kill the eggs that is what you need to do after getting rid of the adults. that is why you should try and change the soil as much as you can. They can be really nasty if the multiply and can get into the house/basement and are hard to control get rid of.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.