Mosquito Dunks

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I bought a package of these to treat my houseplants.. It seems I have some "gnats" flying around. In the past I had a huge infestation, from which I learned a lesson from. At that time I repotted into fresh soil, each and every house plant I had. I assure you it was quite a job, but well worth it.

Not sure if its fungus gnats this time or fruit flies. There are only a few so I'm gonna get a jumpstart on them NOW!! Hubby bought two boxes of fruit from his neices school fundraiser.. so that is probably it, but I would rather be safe than sorry AGAIN...

Okay...to the point. I bought the mosquiuto dunks, thinking they would disolve in water. But it does not appear that they do. How do I go about disolving them in water in which to water my house plants? At the moment I have just crumbled a piece of one in the water and have let it sit overnight.... Is there a better way to use the dunks?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The dunks are just the vehicle that carry the bacteria. No need to dissolve - just let them float. ;o)

Al

Thanks Tapla....but for how long before using the water in my plants?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Use it right away. The dunks break down very slowly. It DOES help, I've been using them for a number of years. I put one quarter of one in a approx. quart sized watering can. A little goes a long way. It's water surface area, not water amount you are treating. Half of one will take care of a 30 gal. garbage pail of water for instance.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Agree.

Al

Thanks guys!!!

One more question.. "Use right away" .. Is this how to do it anyway..or because I have already let it sit overnight?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Doesn't matter! Not sure how fast the BT goes to work in it but probably fairly quickly if not immediately.

Thanks Tommy

zone 6a, KY

I just keep a quarter or so in my watering bucket and when it dissolves or gets scooped up into a plant, I put another !/4th. I am seeing fewer gnats now, so something is helping. The fungus gnats are all black. Fruit flies are more grayish and maybe have reddish brown on them.

Anyway, for fungus gnats.... I sprayed neem, use the mosquito dunks, put up fly paper, vacuum adults, used some hydrogen peroxide water on the soil in my worst area (terrarium) and got 2 sundew plants :) (that was the best part).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.