leggy aglaonema (chinese evergreen)

Chicago, IL

Hi, folks -

I've had a sturdy aglaonema in my office for some time, but it is getting long bare stems with leaves at the top, and one of the stems is starting to flop over.

I'd appreciate any tips on rejuvenating it - for example, do I need to try to lop off and replant the top, or can I just bend the stem and re-bury it deeply (I'm not sure if it will give rise to new baby plants that way too?)?

Thanks!

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Sounds like it needs more light to be a good long term plant. I would suggest getting another and either keeping this one at home with TLC or composting it.

zone 6a, KY

This isn't the best time of year to try rooting the top, and if the plant is weakened from lack of light that will be another strike against rooting the cutting. If you want to cut the falling stem to a couple inches tall, you can try to root the top. Also, it should cause the cut stub to grow a new start and you'd have foliage at the bottom. If you wait til spring, I think you can just cut the whole plant back. It should regrow, and you can root the tops, too.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

No argument with the 'lack of light' observation, for sure; but no lateral breaks & foliage that tends to grow in tufts at the end of branches or stems is often a symptom resultant of being very root-bound and/or a N deficiency. If the plant is sparse, I wouldn't cut it back until you're able to correct the cultural conditions causing the decline and the plant has gained some energy reserves. I would even have reservations about pinching it if it's struggling.

Al

Chicago, IL

Thanks, everyone! I'll wait till spring and give it a little more TLC. It is my oldest aglaonema and perhaps I'll see if I can get it to do a little more thriving and not just surviving in the office :) Appreciate the comments.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.