New bees Seed Junkie chit chat Come in!! 12-14-09

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Til it freezes, then kiss them babies "goodbye" Or bring them in. Wait til it warms up, mabe we can send you some.
Will that work. They are pretty tough.
Good, glad you joined me.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Count me in, too. Can't have you girls plating all by yourselves - lol...

Yeah!!! Glad for the company. ☺

Morning everyone! I lost ya for a little while. Glad to see you back Candles! We missed ya. Did you find the Goth thread link?

Way up the thread Violap asked about planting small seed. There's a device we use to get every last seed. Called a Pro Seeder. Tedious but used in GH's everywhere that aren't mechanized. Makes a wonderful stocking stuffer. Here's a link: http://www.territorialseed.com/product/379/165

Check in later. Have a great day!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't even know where to start!! I only left for a minute...6:15 pm on yesterday and there is so much going on I don't know where to start....
Endi!! I am so glad to see you back!! If you get lost again just send a dmail to me I might get us both lost for a bit but I will get us there.... And that completely blank pallet you have to begin your masterpiece on wow think of the plants everyone she has so much free space...some of us would sell our first born for that empty space...( Just Kidding Jo I wouldn't sell you....Not for anything....Just wanted to make my point.
Now Jan I can even pretend to keep up with you or Seray all I have to do is blink and poof someting is brewing..
Honey you have now officially published my secret...It is way more fun to have this job than it is work to do it....
So what are we hunting for now that the non-seed planters have bitten into the poisen cookie of starting from seed...forever to be "If at first you don't succeed try try again". "I thank my Dad for that" and you all will be able to thank Jan for it now that she has caught you and convinced you that seed starting is a wonderful and painful thing. As is life.
Seray I almost left you out that is an amazing little tools you clever lady...

OK keeping up with participants here, so far the contestants are:
(If I miss anyone please let me know.)

RRM
Enidcandles
Loca
Arejay
Trina
Hunnybunch
F4F

Seray and I will be posting and watching and laughing so have fun.
Seray will also get a kit to grow the hooded pitcher plants for doing all the hard work and first place will get one and second place will get green Tacca seeds-(green bat flower)
And if enough join in we may add a 3rd place winner.
Sure to be a lots of FUN.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 5:13 PM

Hi Guys

Mekos told you we're planning a scavenger hunt for Friday and Saturday. Everyone is welcome. She's offering great prizes!

We'll be starting from The Garden Talk forum and will post the link here and in Charley's Goth thread to direct you to the starting gate on Friday. We think it'll be fun!!! You'll have lots of time to work it out so put your kids and company to bed and join in late. We'll have a trial run so you can learn the basics if you've never been on a scavenger hunt. We will help you if you get lost. Then you'll be off and running.

It will be great for Newbies because it will introduce you to areas you've never been before and get you familiar with forums, threads, and posts. Mekos is bartender and will be providing mojitos and sammiches as we go through.

Friday noon is the cut off date to sign up. Have to get the lime order in. LOL

Enid, OK

Mojitos - yippee!! I certainly need the trial run - I can't even always find the power button to the computer!

Sounds like lots of fun! Can't wait til friday!

I'll drink to that. We'll be here to help IF you need it during the trial run but after that you are on your own.

After that you will have to buy your way out of the maze with a pack of seeds to the Newbies! LOL

Now what was I supposed to do Mekos? LOL

Good idea to keep up with what is on our(my) want list to tempt with seeds.LOL (Got cha Seray.)Hehehahahe

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Add my name to the list to please... I always want to play...

Now if your name is NOT on the list and you want to play, please let us know so you can be added.

I'm working on our site. Ignore or enjoy. I want to see if this pic will post. lol

And that was supposed to be unrestricted. Sorry

This message was edited Dec 15, 2009 6:18 PM

Thumbnail by

Dog gone ,it won't blow up either.

Who is this Seray?

I was looking for free stock pictures to use for our adventure. I didn't have any pics of girls or mules. LOL So I was trying free stock places. I'll try again

Thumbnail by

How about that one. Titled Charley's girls explore.

Sounds and looks GOOD to me. Go for it.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Love the footprints seray!

I'm working on it. LOL

Hey you guys, look what my DH bought me last week. It's a Christmas Rose- Poinsettia
Not a great picture but plant is pretty. The spots on the leaf is the glitter on it.

Thumbnail by mekos

Those are beautiful. You will have trees out of them.
They grow good in the summer time. You will love them.

Those are pretty Mekos! Was it your Birthday?

No I use to grow them but gave away the last I had to my preacher's mother a few years ago and just never got another one. I had the regular poinsettia (red) until back in the summer when we got a bad wind storm and it broke my last one all to pieces and the rest died so when these were at the store and we went he got it for me. The only one they had with the curly leaves. This one is called the Christmas rose because it's leaves curl around instead of going out flat and pointed. You can't tell much in the picture but it is.

I thought the leaves were different. It's nice and he's a sweetie for getting it for you!

Yep, He is pretty good to me. Would give me the world if he could. I couldn't ask for a better husband than he is. He gets awards for perfect attendance from work and comes straight home afterwards and very considerate of me and my feelings and doesn't drink anything stronger than tea. We get along great. Since my health isn't great, he helps me around the house and anything else I need help with outside. I have NO complaints. He even loves plants as much as I do. You should see him when the mail comes with a package and he gets so excited, open it , lets see what it is! I think he is more excited than me.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

So glad you got a good hubby mekos!

Your plant is beautiful! Red does not photograph well. Can't remember exactly why - lol - but I read that in the photo forum or somewhere...

Yes, and they put glitter on the petals and the light reflects off them like it's ugly. But I like it.
And thank you by the way.

Here's the link to the Scavenger Hunt practice session. Have fun!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1063255/

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

MORNING ALL !!! How is everyone? I haven't been on for a couple days so had some catching up to do.
Beautiful pointsettia mekos. I got one this year. It has varigated petals on it. I had never saw one like this b4. I usually don't get them cause the die on me and I feel I wasted the money but this one is small and was very inexpensive ,so I felt if it died on me I wasn't losing much.
I went over to the thread for the trial scavenger hunt and I knew what the answer to that one was with out even going to the forum to look it up. I love orchids and and know what they are and where they grow and how they grow so it was easy to answer but I have never tried growing them until this year and I have 2 now.
Everyone have a great day!

Orlando, FL

hi all
found you took me awhile, been a little busy, well i am not sure if i told you all before i lost you, my son has no brain damage, but tomorrow is having his bypass surgery, well gotta get ready for the hospital. have fun on your scavenger hunt i got totally losts lol must be a blond thing.
too much on my mind, well if i am not back before everyone have a wonderful Christmas
blondie

Well, I didn't know the answer. I know I will "Bomb out" on this one. May have to sit back and let you all do it.
I am terrible at games.
The Sun is shinning, seray. So far, No RAIN. Here I was wanting rain, now I'm drowning in it☺
But we sure was dry for awhile, so I'm really not complaining (too much) ☺
I have a Vanilla bean orchid and 2 others I got at Lowes. Went to Ingles and got some plants they had marked down to
99cents. Desert Rose Kalanchoe, very pretty, Got a dish garden with small palm, ivy and another Kalanchoe.
Poor Blondie, our Prayers are with you. Take care of yourself .

This message was edited Dec 16, 2009 9:38 AM

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Goodmorning..I went over to the scavenger hunt too.. looked simple enough after Mekos did it lol...Hope you all have a great day...Ughhh have to get the floors swept and mopped, the vacuuming done... I dread it... Id rather be out raking pine straw...talk to you later

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

I hear ya RRM my brain is feeble when it comes to thinking in riddles..

WE can do what we can and Cheer everyone else on, can't we ? Honeybunch.
Brain just isn't that quick on things. I went up to Community and I still didn't see any orchids.
All I could think of was Tropicals. Went to home page and looked. Felt very "DUHH"
What fun!!!!!But I'm going to be here to see how everyone else is doing. You know, they need our
output and cheering section.

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

lol Cheerleaders...

LOL Morning Ladies I see you've been scavenging for orchids. Don't you love test runs. That way you don't have to do so much work. Have you ever been on the Orchid forum? Great pictures and they have wonderful tips on growing them. That forum link is here. Be not afraid check it out! :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/orchids/all/

Enid, OK

Umm, Seray, you know I ain't real bright - I don't know if I can do the hunt or not. It might be too much like a test for me. I will try though - I just don't know that I know enough to get through it - if there weren't answers, I would have never gotten the first question! I will try - I don't want to be a party pooper - maybe mojitos will make the brain kick in!
You guys have a great day - supposed to be nice here - tons to do!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.