My Purple Stuff

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

I had to move all this (and more!) out of the picture window to make room for our Christmas tree ... Thought I would take a quick shot to show everyone. So glad I finally found purple passion (gynura) again, thanks to DG (and Lowe's--Exotic Angel plants, lol).

Common names: There's purple heart, purple passion, purple waffle, and purple wandering jew. I just love purple! I will probably start trading purple stuff in the spring ...

Thumbnail by timmijo
(Zone 1)

Great combination ... so pretty all that purple grouped together!

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I almost picked up a few Purple Waffles a few days ago.. I'm wishing now that I had.

zone 6a, KY

Beautiful, happy looking, purple plants. Other than getting into purple flowers, the only other purple leaf I can think of is purple shamrock (Oxalis triangularis). Oh, and the variegated oyster plant (tradescantia bermudensis variegata) has a lot of purple, and rex begonia vine (Cissus discolor) has purple stems and backs of leaves. I guess there are more than I first thought :)....

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I have some EE's that have purple stems.. very pretty.

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

The purple waffle roots easily but is very particular about moisture. You can't let it even slightly dry out before it wilts .... it's cute, tho', and looks for all the world like purple lettuce.

The purple heart can grow outdoors here in Delaware in the summer, but I've never tried it that way yet .... also roots like nothing you've ever seen ... I've never killed a purple heart yet!

The purple passion I have seems to be two species with one type more velvety than the other. The real velvety one was an exotic angel from Lowe's ...

And the purple wandering jew came from Lazlo as a trade!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

String of hearts vine! I'll think of the real name in a minute (dementia)

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Something... 'woodii'
Ceropegia woodii!

This message was edited Dec 14, 2009 4:50 PM

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
zone 6a, KY

ceropegia

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

LOL! It would look nice in your purple collection--I see them in HD sometimes,

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Very pretty, I love purple too. I'll be looking for your spring trade :>)
Christine

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

String of hearts have little blossoms too. My woodii is planted in with other plants and just does it's own little growing with out hurting anything. I have it hanging from the shelves. Nice little plant.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

My wandering jew is having a problem. I just started out with a few start and have been cutting off more and rooting them. However, some leaves have drooped at the edge of the pot or rooting glass, or just across a bigger leaf and leaves a brown line.

Am I watering it too much or what?

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

I'm not an expert, but it seems that the lower leaves on these cuttings tend to brown or rot if left in a glass of water to root for too long. Even as I type this, I have a bunch in water that have stayed in there WAY too long that I must pot up tomorrow or bust.

In general, the older leaves fade. When they get too lifeless-looking, I snip them off with a scissors. Wandering jew is so easy to care for and propagate that I don't have many worries about it. Hope that helps. If you need more info, go to the beginner houseplants forum; you should be able to get more help there.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Timmijo, the ones in water are just starting to get roots now. I think the little starts I already have in a pot need to be repotted. Sometimes I just get impatient.

Port Hadlock, WA

Does anyone know about Norwalk Pine cuttings and propagation?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Do you mean Norfolk Island Pine?

Probably best by seed. Maybe air layering will work.

Eventually they get too big for indoors. Usually sold at Xmas in different sizes and prices.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.