NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

HOLLY............let's try this comment or claim... The Millersburg Ferry is the oldest remaining full paddle wheel powered ferry on the river. Sorry I thought the Harrisburg paddle wheeler was powered by outboards leaving the wheel to be only a suggestion of days gone by. That is how our Williamsport Paddle Wheel boat is powered.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

lovely painting

Thanks for your nice comments. I have always enjoyed the mountains, the rivers, old wood, cob webs and rust.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Me too!!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Ditto! You must be a fan of Foxfire too! I grew up in the Appalachian mountains.

You are all invited to visit my commune --as soon as I get it bought and built! Love the above, plus swamps, tho they are more lowland.

Groovy Sally! I'm all for it! Where I grew up, there was a small commune group, and about 20 miles away, in Floyd County, was a very large commune! Great people, very peaceful!

Foxfire.................loved them and still kick up my heals and read them quite often. That's the only way I get to see and understand at least some of my kinfolk. I had an aunt and an uncle who could have filed at least a chapter in one of those books and yet another chapter in an alternative medicine book. He was thought to be mixed up in bare knuckle fights and possibly chicken fighting. At one point we know he had a still and he was mixed up with market hunting on the Chesapeake Bay. He died swearing to God almighty and all who would listen that he was taking to the grave the location of the only market hunting gun the law never found that was used on the Chesapeake.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Sally, What an ecclectic group we would make. Might not be so peaceful. My hippie days are over.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

You all have to tell me what this Foxfire is.

The Foxfire Books some eight or ten of them were published about 150. Anything and everything about basic survival and our heritage of handcrafting, cooking, building stills and cider mills to making a pair of shoes. You name any survival skill you can think of and the how to do it will be in one of those books. They are still in your local book stores having been reprinted many times.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, doc. I'll have to look for some. At first I thought you all were talking about an internet browser.

Foxfire books.... (I love Wiki!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxfire_books

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Did you ever see rotting wood glow in the dark? There's a bioluminescent / phosphorescent fungus that glows green at night, I guess that's what the books were named after.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Guess I need to hang out in the woods more after dark. Sounds like fun!!

Claypa, those are mighty big words. LOL

Thanks, VWR.

yup, I yearned for Foxfire books in my youth but never bought any. For preteen fiction, I LOVED My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George about a kid who supposedly survives in the woods. Now more recently there's the sobering Into the Wild about Chris McCandless who goes to live in Alaska and starves to death. I found that fascinating too.

It is raining ice here tonight!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormy, Claypa is right about the namesake of the Foxfire books. Their revival and reprinting fell right in with the preferred reading of the back to earth movement, early 1970's. The Foxfire Mag originated in the 60's. I think I may even have some related reading such as: "Mother Earth News", magazines and a "Whole Earth Catalog", lurking in some dark corner. Here's a link for FoxFire http://www.foxfire.org/magazine.html ,there are some very useful articles. Enjoy Ric

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just looked outside and it's coming down fast and furious,looks like over an inch already! Ric

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Nothing here yet.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

We were lucky last weekend, barely 2" inch of snow here but saw the remnants of the 7" they received just a half hour north of us when we headed in that direction yesterday for some Christmas shopping! It started raining here yesterday around 4:00 and been coming down all night so any of the "white stuff" remaining will no doubt be gone today :)

Doc, your oil painting is beautiful!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

We only got rain last night, not snow.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

We had ice but luckily not enough to knock out the power and it melted later.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Rain, (more like downpour) this morning VERY windy...now it gorgeous out 55

Seems unlikely but this full moon was less than a week ago. Now we can not even see the moon. LOL

Thumbnail by docgipe
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

We had lots of wind last night, it pulled my bird feered rith off the hook and it is now on hubby's work bench for repair. No snow yet, but the wind has picked up again this evening and the temp has really dropped.
Here are some pictures of this evening's sky.

Out the back door facing south west.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Out front window facing north east.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

It was gorgeous here too for the early afternoon. Later it got gusty and chilly here too. It looks cold there , ladyg

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

It WAS an odd day - early morning after the rain it was chilly and damp when we were tightening things up at the nursery to prepare for the winds. In the afternoon when we returned to finish I was actually sweating and thinking I should be finishing my planting!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Debbie, Having a nursery and a home garden... Let us know when you finish planting we'll take you to lunch. LOL :-) Ric

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Ric, I think I should hang it up for this year although they're calling for temps around 50 next Tuesday, maybe just warm enough to get those last few trees in! How about Wednesday for lunch? LOL

We're gonna get a good one this weekend folks!!!
Better stock up on your bread, milk, and comfort food!
Topper Shutt on News 9 out of DC says this one is looking like "a historic storm".

We'll start a new snow thread when the snow starts falling, so we can get a photo up for the start of it!

Stay safe, warm and comfy! And keep those cameras ready!

Karen

"HERE SHE COMES" It looks now like most if not all of this snow will fall on the coastlines and Southern States. Your white Christmas is almost assured....so the weather folks say. I'm OK here without snow to worry with. LOL

Gosh, the forecast for me went from flurries, to 2-6 inches, in a day. So grateful it isn't hitting the mountains first as my sis and BIL are driving up that way--already in VA so no worries.

Looks like I'm in the clear for a change. Will enjoy seeing your snowy pictures ; ^ ) You all stay safe and warm, hoping it is a light and fluffy snow. Go out and make snow angels.

This time lets hope I have the brains to bring the snow shovels to the house instead of leaving them back in the shed!! First snow, I just didn't believe it would really happen.
Central MD now says 12 inches on Saturday

This message was edited Dec 18, 2009 10:10 AM

Sally, go out and get them now, spray with some Pam so the snow doesn't stick and you can cross that off your 'to do list". And load up the bird feeders while you are out there.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

And then you can come to my house, find the snow shovel, and fill the birdfeeders. LOL

Oh, good reminder lady~~
And the salt buckets-
My feeders are getting some visitors--I bet they will be mobbed tomorrow!!
LOL Catbird! How bout you give the birds a mapquest to my house??

My Mom in southwest VA is to get 12+ inches and I think we are now in the 6-12 inch band.

We have our girls this weekend, and for us, this is our Christmas. Today is Christmas Eve and tomorrow Christmas Day (they won't be with us next week) so theirs is a white Christmas for sure! I will certainly be taking lots of pictures tomorrow. I have so much to do today to finish getting ready!!!!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Karen - "historic storm", now that's funny - I still have trouble wrapping my head around some of the descriptions of storms in VA - from "blizzards" to "historic" - having lived a good portion of my life in snowy areas I'm kinda used to the whole snowy, blizzardy conditions and I still, after 6 years in VA, find it amazing that a state/area can become so paralyzed! ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.