SUNFLOWERS for 2010#2 - WHOSE IN?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

don't think so

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I've grown "Incredible Dwarf" Sunflowers and they're pretty neat. The blooms are very large (8-10") on short 18" plants.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

awww poo.. well gimme anyway! LOL!

Shoot, my water tank is leaking... here I thought the critters were drinking a bit much.

Chocolate Sunflower is around 5-6 feet and multibranching.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! GIMME!

I just found in Johnies I could buy in bulk... oh so tempting...
Patty, Johnies has Chocolate...#1844

Johnnies is where I bought the "Chocolate" from last year. I guess I'm gonna try "Apricot Twist" Sunflower one more time. Wasn't impressed with it the first time, but sometimes there's quite a variance from plant to plant and this is a new seed pack.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I just found in Guerneys (yeck.. not big on them...) but any way they have what they call a florist carnation... for what thats worth!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,I think I have a pretty good line up for my "chocolate" garden. Ordered salpilossis in "chocolate" but it got back-ordered......WEEKS ago. Can't find the back-order letter and I can't remember who I ordered it from so I can't even e-mail to fuss about it.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Doncha just hate that!

Guerneys is ok for seed, but I have gotten puny plants from them when I had expected better. Less they improved over the years.. its been awhile for me though on them so who knows if they got better in shipping plants

I would think you have enough stuff planned for your "Chocolate Universe" Patty. I remember seeing your long list of seeds/plants. Ya gotta watch those back ordered items to make sure ya get them. I learned to print my orders and then toss them when they're received. If something is back ordered I'll save the printed order and circle what is on back order. That just happened to me yesterday with some scabious zinnia seeds one back order.

Gurneys carnation is deceiving Blossom. They mention "just like the florist sells", but the small print tells you 1 1/2" blooms. I think we should both "el paso" on that one!!! LOL

Gurneys, Spring Hill, American Meadows, Michigan Bulb, etc, etc. All seem "just about the same" to me.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

well,there's a back-order letter in my file cabinet...somewhere in that black hole. I confess I'm lazy about putting them in proper file folders so it could be anywhere

Speaking of chocolate...and who wouldn't*G*...my Kissed by Chocolate delphiniums have sprouted. I don't dare hope to see them as perennials here but hopefully they will survive and bloom and be annuals for me. Now that I've got the knack of getting them to germinate,I can harvest seeds and grow them every year. Fingeres crossed..XXXXXX

I'd kill to get those tall Delphiniums to grow/bloom down here but it just isn't in the cards. It's a minor miracle that my Imperial Giant Larkspur seedlings are now putting out some blooms. Remember looking up that "Kissed By Chocolate" Dephinium. Very very nice.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Quote from amorecuore :
Gurneys, Spring Hill, American Meadows, Michigan Bulb, etc, etc. All seem "just about the same" to me.

Yup! EL PASSSSSSS-O!

Me thinks they is all related...

And yeah.. florist sells them alright, but it aint the biggees like Im wanting.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

BANG....

GIMME! LOL!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Gimme what...delphs?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

YUP, and in any color ya want! Including BLACK! LOL!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

no seeds left and it remains to be seen if I can bring them thur a complete cycle to get seeds. I'm hoping the d.cardinalis,d.naudiacal(spelled off the top of my head)and d.zali will grow for me. First two are Calif. native ...alst one's from mid-east so will see. Suppose to de heat tolerant but our oppressive humidity my be the deciding factor.

They throw that phrase "heat tolerant" on everything. It doesn't tell you whether that means 1 day at 90 degrees or consecutive months of 90 degree heat. Hehe

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hows it handle a flood! ^G^

Hehe. That would be a first if the seed pack says "flood tolerant" unless were talking water lilies or pond plants.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Suitable for high tide. Now that would be in- ovation, especially for non-salt tide.

Awww just shoot me.

Sounds like you're thinking of sea weed.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Nope, thats salty

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I got my black oil and my giant striped sunflowers sown today!

Lyng's California Greystripe Sunflowers or something else? What is black oil? We're you drilling for oil and struck it rich?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

D**n squirrels are digging up stuff as fast as I can planted it out so I guess it'll do little good to sown my sunnies...D**n squirrles!!!

Those squirrels can be a real pain with Sunflower seeds. It's like they have radar and can find the seed immediately after you plant it. One area in the backyard I can't direct sew Sunflower seeds. They dig them up within a day. I have to start them in small pots and transplant when they're a few inches tall. More work but at least I'll get Sunflowers that way.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, the squirrels here are behaving. Now its the turtle doves digging and scratching for seed in my lil field plot! LOL!

Maybe patty could live trap the lil snots and export them to gator land. Her gators must be plumb full.

Well my neighbor doesn't help when it comes to the squirrels. He tosses sunflower seeds and peanuts still in the shell onto his driveway every morning to feed the squirrels. I'm always digging up peanuts and peanut shells in my yard.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dont it just make ya want your own island?

I put dibbs on Hawaii... already ordered my no squrriel sign....LOL! (That goes for 2 legged or 4!)

Whaddya think? LOL!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Hehe. I just don't want neighbors feeding the wildlife. Those squirrels come over into my yard and start begging by standing on their two back feet. Over the weekend I saw someone parked up at the corner feeding the wild hogs that live in this huge vacant lot. I just shuck my head.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Owee, that had ta hirt..

I can just see you shacking yer head.

Takes all kinds to make the world go round.

They know not what they do, I keep saying... somehow, there is no consolation in that some days though yano. And some folks just refuse to be educated. So all ya can do is just stand there, hands on yer hips, a zip on the lip and shake the head.

Somehow though I suspect if your neighbs are like mine, you might garner a wave back with a finger. People just think others is strange thas all!

Yeah I was shakin the head and a few words were mumbled out of my mouth. LOL I don't recall that I've ever shuck any of my fingers at people. I just register it in my head and move on to something else.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Good man. Well, im sitting here thinking and yano how irritatered I got with the neighs and their dang ducks lose on the road last season, well im still iritated because they have no business on the road, but again, these people know not what they do. Really makes me sad the people dont know how to take care of the animals and children and such. No regard on the law there too. Its not a free range the highway yano. I mean, these are the same people that try to drive ATVs where they arent supposed to and they are the first to grip that people are picking on them when the law comes down. Irks the heck out of me to see they allow their kids on these machines too and break the laws.

Well, Jon, I dont know what the answer is. Somebody is alwasy gonna have a gripe on someone else some how. It just dont end. The way I figure it, if you stay on the righteous side, you will be ok. The others just got a bit of the devil in them that one day wil catch up with them.

But on the good side of the moon today, my sunnies popped! Looks like the Black Oils an dthe grey stripes will be rather populous. Guess we got enough buryied in the till so that the doves were not gonna get them all before their time.

I'm not gonna let it bother me Blossom. It's not all that important in the realm of life. Sure enough, yesterday, those squirrels dug up a few Sunflower seeds I had planted the evening before. I came inside got the seeds and planted some more. Then I came back inside and put on my coyote costume and went back outside to get some things done. That coyote costume keeps a lot of the critters....and the neighbors away!!! LOL

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

ROTFLMBBO!

Show us da pic! LOL!

LOL Ok, are you scared yet.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Skaking in my flip flops I am! LOL! Now you stay away from my babies or I will just have to bop you in the he-yad! Course I hird you got emphazeeema so you cant blow nobodys huas down... You you you and them thar Cuban cee-grrrs! hehehe!

Im a new mamma of 6 goslings and well I got a pitchfork yano. It will fit right under your tail it will if you mess with my kids! honk honk hoooooonk!

What the heck are you playing next week Texas A N M? LOL! Hird them long herns are gonna poke some butt!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

LOL. This is South Florida. It's "swagger" and "All About The U".....the Miami Hurricanes. Whether its the wolf/coyote or the Hurricanes, one way or another were gonna "huff & puff and blow your house down". LOL

Keep an eye on them goslings. Wild E Coyote is lickin his chops.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.