Introducing myself

Palominas, AZ(Zone 8b)

Hello all and I'm happy to have found this site.

I originally came here looking for information on predators but started reading other posts (LOVE the home made incubator and we're digging out the Omaha Steaks cooler tomorrow) and decided this was a nice community for belonging. I am a freelance journalist and I write primarily about travel, mostly for AAA. Recently, though, I did some articles about some celebrities with another coming up in February, which I kind of dread since celebrities think everyone wants to talk about Hollywood and, frankly, I don't care. But the next one is about a blues club/restaurant in Mississippi so it should go well! Anyway... I live with my husband of 17 years as well as our15 year old son, a shepherd/lab mix, Kiva, a pug, Dexter, and a coonhound, Daisy. Our two oldest are married with kids of their own (and it's a yours, mine and ours deal) so the empty nest period is looming!

I live in SE Arizona and raise Delawares and New Hampshires, as they are prolific and extra large egg layers - beautiful to boot. Recently, I've had some hens killed by "something" and we've been at our wit's end trying to keep the critter out that is responsible. We finally bought a live trap at Lowe's to capture it.

A friend loaned us one on Friday, which was large enough for squirrels. The hole it had dug under the yard was extremely small so we thought, "Okay, this should do it." It didn't. Critter got in, pushed through the small door in the side of our barn that allows the chickens to go in and out at will to either the coop or yard. The door wasn't locked at the top because my husband thought the door was warped (it wasn't, it had dirt crusting the hinges) and so he closed it as best he could and set a heavy roost in front of it. The critter bypassed the live trap and pushed its way through the door, killing its fourth hen in so many days.

We called several friends and no one had a live trap so we spent the sixty dollars (apparently, these are in short supply right now. It seems migration and animal populations are high this fall) for a trap large enough for a raccoon. Set the trap last night but forgot to make sure the door worked properly so it didn't close and lock in place. The critter ate the can of cat food and left, sated. Tonight, the bugger's ours! We fixed the door, it now locks, we put a nice can of tuna in there...

Were I to have known I would find this wonderful board, I'd have taken photos of the creativity of this animal in its attempts to get into the barn since we started closing and locking the pass-thru door for the chickens. However, in the last month, I've gotten no eggs, which is a first for me in the five years I've owned poultry. We have a 30x24 pole barn, with corrugated metal walls, and a rather nice framed coop inside, twelve foot walls, made of chicken wire. The outside yard has framed walls about 7 feet high, covered in chicken wire and the roof is corrugated metal panels. The birds have tons of room and several roosts. They've ALWAYS laid well. I've always made enough money selling eggs to pay for the feed and scratch for the birds, as well as ordering more in the spring, to keep a nice rotation of fresh bloodline.

The birds that its killed had their heads bitten off and not much else. The predator has dug a small hole under the outside yard, small hole that had us wondering how a small animal like that could kill an adult hen. Before the animal figured out to do this, it spent time trying to dig under the wall of the barn, the part where the coop is located. It would dig until it hit the part of the building that is underground, going down about six inches. When it hit that, it stopped trying, moved over a few inches, tried again, hit the metal, moved over a few inches, tried again, and so on... It finally got to the yard where it could get under it. Then we started losing hens. When we closed the door to the coop, it started the whole digging, hitting metal, moving a few inches... You get the idea. I wish I had thought to take photos.

We're expecting to have the critter in our trap in the AM and then the sucker will go to predator heaven, unless I can get hold of animal control...

We're waffling between it being either a skunk or a raccoon... I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts?

As a post script, I did want to add that we do usually lose a hen or two about every three months to attrition (generally old age) and I had 40 birds at one time. I don't know what made me notice it this afternoon but I seem to be down to less than 20 birds. Guess I'll have to breed or order more... ***SIGH*** Since we are a warmer climate, I can order chicks this late in the year and they do well in the barn with a heat lamp. But, I have a predator problem right now, for the first time in five years... My poor Delawares and New Hampshires!

Thanks, all, for letting me go on. This is a first for me and very distressing so... So glad to have found this forum!

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

I'd say raccoon.. and they don't always trip the live traps.. make sure the can of cat food is well tied onto the other end of the trap. A possum can also get the food & not trip them at times.. its very frustrating. My guess with the heads missing.. which is what happened with mine is a raccoon.. a Skunk tends to leave little holes in them & suck the blood around here.. don't know about other places but that's what they do here. have you considered a weasel since it was a small hole? I'm not sure how they kill but the neighbor suggested it before we found out our problem was raccoons. could even be a possum... I've seen them do similar things too.

o ya.. Hi, hope things get better soon. :)

Ferndale, WA

Well GrannyNancy: First let me say welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your losses. Sounds like a very distressing situation. I don't really know much about predators in your area, but from what you have said the first thing that comes to my mind is weasel, what you described does not sound like raccoon, or skunk at all at least not in my experience. There are lots of good people on this forum that live in the warmer climates that will probably have better ideas about the type of predators you have. So I will leave you to their good advice, and tell you we are indeed happy to have you aboard. I wish you the very best and I'd say forget animal control and send it to predator heaven. LOL...Haystack

Thumbnail by Haystack
Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Welcome, GrannyNancy! I would have said weasel, too, although by now you probably know the solution to your mystery. When we lived out in Washington State we had a raccoon picking off our ducks one by one, but it tore out the throats rather than biting the heads off, and then just left them. It must have been fascinating, albeit creepy, to follow the workings of the critter's mind as it dug hole after hole, exploring how best to get in!

Can't wait to hear what you find in your trap this morning - if you find anything.

Hay, who is that adorable young man you're holding? From the looks on both your faces it seems as though there's a very strong bond there!

Conroe, TX

Welcome GrannyNancy, glad you joined the forum.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

Welcome!

Crossville, TN

Welcome neighbor...I just sent you a D Mail...

My daughter used to have some geese (next door to me)...and the same thing happened to them as you describe...they decided Racoons...We saw a Bobcat in her front yard recently...but they would have eaten their kill. Jo

Richmond, TX

Did you catch the villain?

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Welcome!

Alfred Station, NY(Zone 5b)

I don't think a weasel would be strong enough to do what you described about pushing the door open. Weasels are pretty small. They only need really small holes to get inside.

Raccoon, skunk, or fox is my guess. We lost ducks to a fox that dug under the fence and when the the duck was too big to drag away, it just took the head.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Welcome Grannynancy, and HOWDY Neighbor...

Roseane and Billy

Pix of Billy and his chickens that he lost to a VARMIT!!! I loved that Rooster Spiderman.

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Ferndale, WA

Greenhouse: He is my greatgrandson. I have to tell you this. That pic was taken a month ago and was the first time he has been with me. He is almost three and would you believe it he asked me why his daddy was black and his grandaddy white. I took him to home depot to the paint dept and showed him lots of colors and told him God loves color, a lot of colors. He and I laughted about it all day. Thanks for asking. He is crazy about the chickens.

Thumbnail by Haystack
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Oh Haystack that was a wonderful thing to do.... You are my hero....

Hay, I wondered whether he was part Native American! When we lived out in your area there were almost no black people so I wasn't thinking in that direction. How lovely that you got to have him with you, and what a great answer to his question. It's amazing that he noticed that - and asked about it - when he's not quite three yet! He must be very bright. I hope he'll get to visit often now!

Ferndale, WA

I was totally shocked at the question, really caught me off guard. Today is tuesday and today he is comming to live with me full time. I adore him and will look forward to building projects where he can participate with me, also gathering of eggs and handling chicken matters. This spring he will go fishing with me for the first time in his life. I'm sure he will help my old age...LOL What a wonderful Christmas gift he will be to me. Looking forward to growing old with him...LOL. Hay

Wow, Haystack, he will definitely keep you young. That's quite a responsibility but I suspect you and your wife are up to it. Keep us posted on his adventures!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Oh Haystack, I am so happy for you... Having Billy is the Joy of my life, so I can totally relate with you... Well except the fishing part, I dont do that. You both will discover life has wonderful things to offer when you have a friend by your side, and of course looking at it thru kids eyes makes you remember it is the little things in life that are the important parts you will relive again...

You have so much to teach him, and he you.... LOLOL

(The last sentence may not make sence right now, but I swear it is the truth).

Clarkson, KY

Welcome-welcome!!

Sorry for your chickeny sorrows and frustrations, but welcome just the same!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

WHat is the world coming too... lol
Mr Hay, Miss Jestr and I.. all three now will have our young ones.. and like she said.. they will teach you a LOT..
My 6 YO grandson now lives with me.. he wakes at 6 and starts talking.. and NEVER stops till he falls over around 7pm.
But, he is the lite of my life.. the one helper that will fall over backwards trying to help and get it right.. and surprisingly.. the one person I can count on to help.. even with the dirty jobs.. he tells me "it'll wash off grandma".

Can't wait to hear the stories.. and his take on the world.. it is so darn clear when they say it.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

First let me give you a hearty welcome to our chicken yard! We are so glad to have you.
I have never been to your area of the country so I'm not sure what kind of animals you have out there. From my experience, and if you have them there, you are describing the work of a mink. They are in the weasel family. They are small but don't let that fool you. They are able and willing to whip a big dog. They can wreak havoc in a chicken yard. But mostly they kill multiple birds on a foray. If it is a mink you have been lucky to lose so few.
I know you have a larger member of the weasel family out your way but for the life of me I cannot think of it's name just now. It may come to me after while. I would love to know what you come up with in your live trap. Please keep us posted.

Hay, your DGGS is a very lucky little boy and you are a blessed man. We had our DGS, Knock, with us for 7 of his 8 years. He moved to La the end of the summer to live with his Mom. We miss him so much it hurts. He was my right hand man. Always there when I needed him and so willing to help. He was such good company for an old woman. He misses us. He calls and talks for hours. But he is doing well and that is what matters. Enjoy your little man. It doesn't matter what the wrapping paper looks like, every child is a gift from God.

Christmas morning '07.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 10:09 PM

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Palominas, AZ(Zone 8b)

We caught the critter that was killing the chickens. I wasn't able to get a photo since it was still too dark when we checked the trap and I didn't want to get too close! LOL

We ended up calling animal control to dispense with the skunk we caught. It really was a cute little animal and when I saw it I was reminded of Flower in Bambi! However, animal control told us there was a problem in the region with rabies in skunks, though none had been discovered yet in Cochise County, they still wanted it to make sure. She thought it sounded a little too aggressive, killing so many chickens in a short time.

So, yes, we caught a skunk, yes, it's gone, we need to set the trap again to make sure we got them all... We haven't had a dead chicken in several days but I do need to order some when the weather warms a bit to replenish my stock... Local feed store will allow me to order less than 25 when they do their twice yearly ordering so I suppose I'll have to wait for spring.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So glad you caught the offender. I hope it was the only one. I have never had any personal dealings with a skunk and hope I never shall. I have a big guard dog staked out next to my chicken pen. We have coyote and bear here but I've had no problems thus far.

The animal I could not think of was a Fisher, I believe. They are in the weasel family but they are large. Near the size of an otter. They are one of the very few animals that can prey on porcupine. Very smart beggars. I'm not sure if that's the way it's spelled. I saw it on TV.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Sweet saddle and good looking boy Cajun...
I had to cackle Fran, Billy does the same and sometimes I wonder if he will ever be quiet.. But when he is gone, I miss his ramblings....

Congrats to you to Frans... To sum up your question what is the world coming to, I look at it this way...

I did not ask for Billy to be born, but I DID ask for him to have a life, one that I can give him.... Its hard to believe as I look around my desk here at work, the different stages of his life in pictures. From what he was when I got him, to the strapping cowboy he is today. To think that I had a hand in shaping him and creating that smile I so love, makes everything that I have given up worth it.

It's amazing the way some of us here are raising little ones and exposing them to all the wonders of seeds and garden produce, and chickens and livestock. The kids are so lucky, but so are the grandparents, even if some sacrifices are involved. If we can give them a good head start it's priceless.

GrannyNancy, congratulations on catching that skunk. Will they tell you what the lab reports say if they're going to check for rabies? Hopefully that was your only interloper and your chickens will be able to enjoy some peace now.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome GrannyNancy. I'm glad you caught your predator. I'm betting you'll catch another. Animals usually travel/live in pairs. What things are you doing to make your chicken pen more predator proof?

Good luck with the new chicks.

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Welcome Granny Nancy, I'm glad you caught your predator too. You could always try hatching your own instead of ordering from the Hatchery... believe me, once you hatch your own, you'll be addicted! ;)

Hay, congrats on the new addition to the family! He's a cutie!!

Melissa, we have never contemplated hatching our own and I don't know how one would even start. We do have fairly good luck with Murray McMurray, though, and more recently with Cackle Hatchery.

GrannyNancy, I'm surprised that you can't get chicks at more flexible times from your local feed store, but there are hatcheries that will allow you to buy smaller numbers. I think Cackle is one. You could check Garden Watchdog for hatcheries and see which will send them in small quantities.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

greenhouse_gal wrote;"It's amazing the way some of us here are raising little ones and exposing them to all the wonders of seeds and garden produce, and chickens and livestock. The kids are so lucky, but so are the grandparents, even if some sacrifices are involved. If we can give them a good head start it's priceless."

I'm so glad to learn that this is going on. I had begun to wonder if there would be anyone left to live sustainably. I was talking to one of the few Dairy Farmers left in the area, and he told me how hard he's struggling to do things "right". His kids are following his footsteps so far, but he's wondering if they can keep going much longer. The good news is that they've become a gathering point for local products, grass fed meats, and organic/natural produce. I'm hoping that y'all will also send us people with a working knowledge of "The Farm Life".

Thank you:)

Here's a link to Farmer Toms' Dairy, The Happy Cow;

http://www.happycowcreamery.com/

Catmad, I'm hoping that with CSAs and greater awareness of the advantages of food produced on small farms, people will be able to make a living more easily that way. I would love to be able to find a source for sustainably grown meats to supplement the deer and homegrown chicken that we have in our freezer, so possibly the newer generation of farmers will begin to explore these options more. Re the kids, I don't expect my granddaughter to follow in our footsteps, although currently (at 12) she tells me that when she grows up she wants to live in France and have a farm, but at least we are exposing the little ones to the wonders of fresh garden produce and teaching them that food should be grown responsibly!

Greenhouse, I've had great luck with McMurray too, and was going to try Cackle until I started hatching my own. I bought an incubator, but there's a great thread here about making your own. GrannyNancy made mention of getting out her Omaha Steak Cooler in her first post (that's what that one is made out of.)

After you have your incubator, you just put the eggs in, a little water, wait +/- 20 days, and the chicks hatch. The only difference between hatching your own and getting them from a hatchery is that you have them a day earlier. :) After they dry off, they really are no different from the day old chicks from the hatchery.

Next month, I'm taking my incubator and some eggs to school, one of our science teachers is doing a life unit, and she's going let her students hatch a batch. I love doing it. Your grand daughter would probably be fascinated too. :) McMurray sells a little 3 egg incubator, I've always thought that would be fun to use too.

Aha, but where do you get your fertile eggs from? We have one Salmon Faverolle rooster who isn't really up to much, and a bunch of hens of all sorts and conditions, so I wouldn't be sure any of ours were candidates, nor would I want them since they'd be weird hybrids!

Ebay. LOL

Take a look, you can get any kind you want. There's also eggbid.com

and Craigslist

No kidding! Who knew!

yep, just about any kind of egg you'd want to hatch. LOL

Ferndale, WA

Greenhouse, thats cool that your granddaughter wants to go to France and have a farm. I lived in Nancy, France for almost three years, loved it so much. Lots of great farms there.

Melissa is so right Greenhouse, about hatching. I just know you'd love it and she's also right about do it once and your addicted. I have one of those three egg Brinsea bators, I use it all the time. I love it and it does everything for you. It is accurate and fool proof. We also loan it out to the local schools. Hay

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

hey Hay, so are you saying Billy will become more addicted to chickens when we start doing eggs?

(Zone 6b)

Hey Haystack, that baby is adorable! Definitely a family resemblence in the shape of his little face and expression. You are so blessed. I know he's going to enjoy being with you guys.

Hay, we took her to France with us a couple of years ago. Actually, she met us there - flew in to CDG and changed planes to Toulouse with the help of the stewardesses. She just loved it and is dying to go back. Isn't it a beautiful country? What were you doing in Nancy - lucky you! Did you learn French?

It's really just as easy for us to order chicks from a hatchery; I don't know if I want one more piece of equipment around here! And it sounds like people have had issues with viability of eggs they got from places like eBay or Craigslist.

Ferndale, WA

Hey Greenhouse, Strangely enough I took Spanish in highschool, hated it. When I went to France, (Military) I thought i'd never be interested in the language. Well I never have been a drinker or chaser so I spent my time traveling while there and met several wonderful young ladies, so my dating amounted to dinner, coke, and a Frence-English dictionary, I fell in love with the language and the french people so I became what I would call street fluent in french and have always missed the country. I loved their parks and ornamental iron work. While there I visited all the bombed out cities and towns and took pic's and talked with the locals that were old enough to have experienced the war. It was a huge lesson for me and they treated me like their son. It was an eyeopener about what they went through and I will never, never forget their kindness to me. From time to time I look at those bombed out homes and devestated people and it still makes me weep. War is so horrible and though I wanted to serve my country, France changed me, and I am grateful for it. Hay.

Hay, that sounds like a wonderful experience; I'm surprised you've never gone back there to visit. I think it's a gorgeous country and we love the rural areas. Spending time in another country really gives you a sense of perspective about your own place; it's a shame that Americans don't get more of a chance to see different cultures. Having only two neighbors makes us kind of insular.

How's that adorable GGS of yours? Has he come home to roost yet? Or is that what's been keeping you so busy and off DG?

Leslie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.