Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I know there's already a couple of sunflower threads but I really wanted to specific on these colors.

I'm planning a "chocolate"(the color) garden next year. I'd like sunflowers in that color but can't decided from on-line picture which one is the "chocolatiest"(I make um as I go along*G*)
Here's what I've found in seach:
Cinnamon Sun
Cherry with Chocolate
Chocolate
Moulin Rouge
Chocolate Cherry

Anyone grown any of these and what's your opinon on each's "chocolatenisty"(what aword!...LOL)

P

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

WOW! Somebody doing a garden almost exactly like mine! I am doing a black garden that will include:
Chianti Sunflowers(have)
Black Cornflowers(have)
Penny Black Nemophilia(have)
Marvas or Melot Bell Pepper(truly BLACK!!!)
Chianti Dianthus
Black Prince Snapdragon
Black Velvet Nasturtium
Black Peony Poppy
Palisandra Coleus
Black KONG Coleus(found this at Home Depot)

Any more suggestions?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Ace of Spades scabiosa,Milk Chocolate foxglove,Chocolate Drop penstemon,coleus:Chocolate Mint,Dark Chocolate,Chocolate Splash,silene Purple Prince,nicotiana Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Smoke,aquilgeias: Single Black, Magpie,Chocolate Soldier,chocolate cosmos,Iris Hot Chocolate,daylilies in brownish and brownish cherry colors i.e.:Domonic,huecheras and tiarella have some nice"chocolate flavored"leaves. There's some bugbanes and elderberries that have dark foliage. Carex: Milk Chocolate,Toffee Twist and Cappucino. Corydalis Chocolate Star,oxalis Charmed Wine is more of a brownish burgundy than what the catalogs show.

Coleus Black Dragon is nice but has some red in it.

Tried to googled "chocolate colored" flowers yesterday but kept getting candy webpages

Just got up,haven't had a full cup of coffee yet so brain hasn't kicked in.

Peggy

Edited to add MG Chocolate and Chocolate Silk(one or both are I.nil/JMG) ...and Akebia vine

This message was edited Nov 28, 2009 4:47 AM

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

trying to locate source for nigella Hot Fudge Sundae. It's being ellusive. Best I've found was Sean Conway seeds somehow associated w/ Burpee but googling doesn't give me anything else

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I found the Sean Conway line at Target in the Summer. They don't have much for "real" gardening more decor but the ones here do get a small endcap seed rack each season.
I might have those seeds....I'll check later--gotta go to work in a few.

'CHOCOLATE'&CHOCOLATE SILK' Morning glories!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Yup--have a pack of Nigella Chocolate Sundae--the Burpee Signature line:) I'll share if you want 1/2--true to my seed hoarding nature they are dated 2008 if you want to try them I'll be happy to share:)

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Summerhill Seeds has a section for chocolate theme.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Other Sunflowers you should consider are "Chianti" (already mentioned), "Claret", "Prado Red", "Prado Red Shades" and "Cappuccino".

Jon

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

dmac...Goody! What do I have I can trade you for?

jnorth...I know,that's were I got the now missing seeds last year on sale...DANGGIT!

amore,I'm on the fence..sunflower...Chocolate from Johnny's or Chocolate Cherry from Renee's.Botanical Interest pkg is artist rendition so I'm not sure about the color because the artist choose a dk purpley color.

Peggy

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

DM

here ya go
http://summerhillseeds.com/chocolate-vines-and-flowers-c-68.html

Browsing catalogs yesterday turned up these:
'Chocolate Soilder' Columbine(rather nightmareish coloring!!)
'Black Knight' Sweet Pea
'Chocolate Cherry' Tomato(now how can we get the tomatoes to rise above the leaves to show off their wonderful coloring? Have)
'Phillipene' Cosmidium(???) Smells like chocolate supposedly.
Chocolate Daisy(have, smells like chocolate-vanilla in the hot afternoon.)

On sunflowers if you had to pick just one it would be Moulin Rouge. I think it's the closest in color to what you're looking for. If you had to choose between "Chocolate" or "Chocolate Cherry", I would go with "Chocolate". I've grown it and it is pretty dark. "Chocolate Cherry" photos look very very very similar to photos I've seen for "Claret". I've grown "Claret" and it's nice, but it's not as dark in color as "Moulin Rouge" and "Chocolate".

Jon

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I did a pot with a little "chocolate" theme last summer. Chocolate Slapiglossis (from seed), Chocolate Cosmos (tuber similar to a dahlia), Cappuccino rudbeckia, Copper osteospermum, and some yellows for color: Baby Duck petunia, sanvitilla creeping zinnia. I noticed that T&M have a chocolate marigold this year that I may try.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Tomatoes: I seeded both the Chocolate Cherry and the Chocolate Cherokee and they were awesome.

Chocolate mint is fun to add as well...smells like an After Eight.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Here's a chocolate colored pineapple lily pic -->

Thumbnail by jmorth
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

dmailed you Peggy:)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Oo Joanna,that lovely.

Chocolate marigold? I don't even like marigolds but I may have to try that one.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

my mistake, not a marigold. it is Berlandiera Asteraceae lyrata "Chocolate Daisy"

The other chocolate fragrance T&M have is the Centaurea Asteraceae Cornflower moschata "Dairy Maid" aka Sweet Sultan

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Check this out! Way too cool. They even sell seeds!!

http://www.chocolateflowerfarm.com/home

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Ok. I had chocolate daisy for a long time in the rock garden but this years floodings killed it.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

yeah...I just ordered Delphs.Kissed by Chocolate",nicotiana "Chocolate Smoke" and aquilgeia "Single Black" last week.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Joanna, what a great site! I just bought a Christmas gift for a friend who I was stumped for a gift for. And just in time for 20% off! Thanks!

I don't know that I would want something that smells too much like chocolate in my garden - I think it would make me eat more of it than I already do! (more chocolate, not eating the plants, lol. I'd do a whole lot better if I ate more "plants" and less chocolate!)

Oh, and Chocolate mint? It smells exactly like York Peppermint Patties. And what about Chocolate Cosmos? ANd a Dianthus caled 'Sooty'?

Joanna, I put the site in my favorites!

Just found this:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2329/

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

another chocolate m g: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1059469/

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

the possibilities are endless

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yup....

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

....hot chocolate.........

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Love hot chocolate this time of the year when we get an occasional cool evening. Favorite thing to do is sit outside in a chair with hot chocolate, in December, and just stare at all the Christmas lights in the neighborhood. It's kind of a downer when January arrives and all the lights come down.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

a*ore,
fro* all of us freezing our tail feather off at Christ*as ti*e as you sit outside...we salute you...PHHHHTTTT!!!
~~~~~~~~$;>)#)

LOL. It doesn't seem like a real Christmas down here with it being warm. It IS great weather for sitting outside and really enjoying the decorations and lights and soaking it all in. Other than that, Christmas is better where y'all live.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I could live without Christ*asy weather. Lowest Id like to see would be 60. I can get out in that.

Walked *y dogs yesterday. Dont know who was shivering *ore...*e or the* Have to go out twice since the younger dogs are good walkers but the older ones go out looking to kick butt so I have to be able to control the* as I* trying to Dog Whisper the*. I have walked all 5 at once which puts the Chu-who-a-who-a in jepodary of getting walked on by the boston terrors.

Going shopping this evening....guess what the first thing Ill pick up....H*-*-*-*-*-*?LOL This keyboards gotta go. I need to get *y plant inventory done and its hard to do when so*e of the keys dont work. nu*ber nine isnt working as well as co**as and others.

I don't blame you. That keyboard would drive me nuts also.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I was just getting used to her new drool! Its that souther PC slang of hern! If we-ins dint know better we woudl think she was swearing!

Jon, I reckon you could do like some of the hillrods up here do and keep the lights up year round...! Course I personally would not want to fancy their legtrick bills, *ost cant aferd to run the* anyway, but they sure look purdy on the houses unlite in June! LOL!.. Oy, All that candle power...

Dont feel bad Patty, I gotta get *e a carpet cleaner, the hound decided to a-*em do dooty in all the wrong places. mmmmmrmh! I* about ta just get a dang old endloader instead tho and blast a hole in one of the house walls and let the horses come in too. Sheesh the critters are driving me nuts! I will go *ove to thier shelter and put up a wall there to keep war*. Least the chikerns are behaving...well so far anytahoo! Gotta be a hound whisper for her to quit her... I sure nuff cant.. I have tried and tried and tried! Oh and now too gotta call Rothchilds.. al because of her.

(DANG, its hard to type like you!!! *aybe you can just try avoiding using werds with the letter * in the*?))

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

that be prud near i*possible...M's working now. Blasted keyboard must be PMSing.

I Luv Cesar Milan(Dog Whisperer) but I need him to come live with me a few weeks 'cause my older male is a spaz and is the hardest one to train. Older female wants to be pack leader so she really goes out on the defense when we're walking. Having hard time teaching those two avoidance.

Bout time for the ladies to come get me for fitness class.

It would be easier to leave them lights up all year, but it's impossible down here. It takes the palm tree about a month to recover from them lights hanging and wrapped all around it. The other trees and shrubs that have lights are your typical fast growing Florida plants. They have to be pruned every couple of months to keep them under control. I have a few solar lights that add dabs of light during the rest of the year. I'll never forget those 10 days we were without power after Hurricane Wilma in 2005. Those solar lights were the only lights you could see at night for 10 days. It was strange.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

shoot,leaving up xmas lights year round in Arkasas is considered mood lighting....for the cable spools tables,cars on blocks,toilet bowl planters,old couches and recliners in the yard and so ya don't trip over the beer cans.

LOL. My oh my.. Now I have seen old couches and furniture outside down here. Not in my neighborhood, but it's around. Only "moon lighting" down here, in the summer, are them bolts of lightning. Not the best kind of weather to be sittin outside in a metal chair!!!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

well,I just have to go around the corner for a redneck yard......at my son's....LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.