TEA ROOM # 51

Merino, Australia

Here we are , moved again. It has been a lovely walk, but in sympathy with all our ageing legs, I moved us back to the road. Now I need a cuppa and a sit down after moving all those chairs. I had bettter pop over and put up the signpost. Enjoy the day while you sit in my cottage garden.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. What a beautiful place to sit and have a cuppa Jean. The tree is gone. Sad because it was so huge and a haven for the birds but they have got three others the same plus the Norfolk Island Pine. We've had quite a nice lot of rain. The little burrowing crickets were going beserk last night. It's been awhile since I heard them. The tadpoles are growing by the day and are now about 2 1/2-3 inches long and are starting to get the frog- patterns along the side. Anyway must go. Everyone have a wonderful day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
townsville, Australia

Good morning all, I have just been trying to catch up on the comings and goings in the tea room, everyone has been busy.
Elaine and Colleen the trees are lovely, I was not going to do much decorating this year, but alas it is my turn to hold lunch so I will have to put in some sort of effort, but I will do that next week or the week after lol. I am dreading this as my little munchkin kitten attacks and shreds everything, so I may have to leave any decorating to the last minute lol.
Kat I was devasted when my last one left home, I was a major whoosy baby and just could not stop crying, but it gets better, and now it is pretty good, but Chrissy is right they do not go far from my fridge lol.
Jean the irises are all doing very well, I am amazed at how quickly they grow.
Lesley is much better now, it is amazing what a week can do.
Chrissy I hope your brother is fairing just as well.
I have to go lots to do.
Have a wonderfull weekend all
Smile and stay safe
Shell

Oh look at that pretty garden ..you must be thrilled.
Brother is still in theatre ...but is ok so far.
everyone out there I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

the eruption of lily buds has started..the big/little sale starts tomorrow for invited guests.i think that donating a brilliant double potted bloom at the christmas garden club meet,may have a few people curious.....many enquiries from many lovely old folk...........this is my hot rod''old skool'' pot of regales.....the strongest smelling of all

Thumbnail by g_whizz
Clifton Springs, Australia

Shelley,when my Tinker-Belle had her first Christmas, she was very keen on our decorations and on Christmas morning we woke up to find one end of the silver tinsel coming from her mouth and the other end from her bottom...The tinsel had gone right thru and come out the other end...with the constant licking she must have swallowed and passed it. We didn't know whether to laugh or cry..it did look funny....Cats musn't have a complicated bowel because I eased the tinsel out the back way very carefully, after cutting the front piece as short as possible, thinking that it had gone in so far and she wasn't distressed, that it must be okay and it was. Never again tinsel in our house..LOL

Good luck with your sale Anthony...if that's how you decorate pots what does your car look like?

DonnieBrook...this is the first time that I have grown this peach and I chose it because it is only a little tree.. it is a white fleshed one and about 2 to 3'' across and 1" thick just snack size...I have had it 15 mnths and it's about 6' x 4' and full of little donuts...I will tell you what it tastes like in Feb...I hope.
This is it's label, I cropped it but it's gone small again..
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger
barmera, Australia

I think the donut peach is absolutely delicious. Wait until you taste your's Dianne. Colleen

Barmera, Australia

G'Day
I originally tested that peach here at Barmera and recommended that it would be a good peach for the home garden. The size will depend on the crop but don't do too much thinning or the bigger fruit will crack and then the wogs get in and cause rot.
It is a lovely peach to eat but mind out because there is so much juice you will finish up with some in your ears. I think you are in for a real treat when you get your fruit and it is so high in sugar that it can be eaten 3/4 ripe upto squashy.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake

That peach sounds so wonderful ...sadly my hubby has murdered two of mine as well as my shatoot Muberry ...they had to make room for his shed, lost fig trees that way too and some wonderful grapes ...half of my garden is gone.
Oh well ...making room elsewhere slowly but surely ...it does not make up for the many years it takes to mature the plants though.
jeans husband builds greenhouses mine builds sheds :(
My brother was gone three hours and is in intensive care ...however the surgery did not go ahead as his fused bones in his neck would not allow the oxygen tube to enter the right way , they tried every which way but couldn't ...he goes back in to theatre monday and has to have a trachiotomy (spelling :( ) ...to allow the tube to go in. poor boy thought it was all over when he came around. He can hardly speak due to the swelling in his throat.
gosh it's hot.
Talk tomorrow.

barmera, Australia

Oh Chrissy. That's not a very nice thing to happen for your brother. I wonder why they didn't just do the trachyotomy today and get the op over and done with for the poor fellow. Now he has to prepare himself all over again. Colleen

Thanks for the correct spelling ...I don't know why either, his neck is "frozen" in an upright position because the bones have fused, you would have thought that prior to assembling two teams (one heart) and one brain) that they would have anticipated this ...and all the tests and x rays too. Actually I think it's terrible and they may have had their reasons but gosh what an ordeal for him.
Look what I found this morning ...it put a smile on my face.

Thumbnail by

I was lucky enough to get some pretty oleander cuttings a while ago from judy ...and I am so happy that I must share this with you ...I have often read about plants growing roots in water and I decided to see if some of these would do that ...the ones with the best new growth had roots in water, but every one "took". So give it a go! I am going to experiment with a few different types of plants setting roots in water after this.

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

Hello everyone.. We had a bit of a noisy evening yesterday. Just for a few hours though , from around 7pm. We had lightning, thunder, wind and a few heavy downpours of rain. About 3/4 inch of rain and thankfully , no wind damage. It all went away and nevercame back. This morning is quiet and sunny. A lot cooler , which is nice.
I will be out later to move all the rest of the irises in the cool.
The rain was hard to hear as the plants were slurping it up so loudly.
Chrissy, so sorry to hear your brother has to go through all that again. Best wishes to him .
I imagine some of those earlier sheds your hubby put up would be covered in climbing plants by now.
Hello Colleen. I'm glad your wind never came here as we have a couple of old pine trees out the back that are half dead and large. No way to remove them , so we always watch for any bad winds. Hubby watches his very tall antennas too, but the wind, although very strong, didn't last long.
Hello Dianne. I have seen those lovely little peach trees in the nursery along with small apple etc. They are handy for small yards or small families. What odd things cats can swallow. That tinsel must have looked very strange where it ended up.
Anthony, have a good time with your sale. My Asiatics are all in full flower now. So beautiful.
Hello Brian, Steve, Leisa, Sue and Shelly.
Louise, hope all is well there. You will be enjoying your garden now.
Kat , how are your epis going ? Still feeding those turkeys ?
Going out to get things done now.
Have a great weekend . I've left you all some Hazelnut Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi Jean and all. Good to hear you had some good rain without damage. We really need it here, our water tank (garden) is empty!

A lovely package arrived this week from Cestrum. What a collection of lovelies. All in water, ready to pot up once we have breckie.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

You are going to need a bigger garden wayne ^_^ * said in the same tone as the sheriff in the boat that stalked JAWS when he saw the size of that big fish * I hope you get some water soon ...another weekend of the big sizzle coming up. Dang!
Have fun with those.
jean I haven't planted anything near the sheds yet because they left great puddles of cement everywhere, but I will after throwing tons of cow poo around.
Ok back out there before it gets toooo hot!
Enjoy your Saturday everyone!

great day for a lily sale..ive checked my phone twice to make sure its not broken...maybe its something to do with the pouring rain....anybody needing water,give me a hoy,i'll mail you some

Thanks for the tip Brian..I noticed little lines on the fruit so I can see where they would split.
Good thing that you trialled them.
Colleen...thanks for the taste test..

Chrissy..fingers crossed for your brother on Monday.

We have very high humidity here which is most unusual for this time of year.
Every time I start to type my husband calls out " Another wicket's gone"
Guess what he's doing!!!!
Dianne

It's still stinking hot here ...no relief yet, we are 10C hotter than Sydney and hot winds have been fierce.
I just wanted to say that I really loved seeing the Pandas arrive today on the news ...weren't they adorable? I hope they breed a few little ones for us to keep.
Summer and Cricket Huh ...Howzat! ^_^

Brisbane, Australia

Good morning, everyone!

We are in for another sweltering day. There were storms yesterday but they only hit the north and south coasts and then it was even steamier in Brisbane. The turkeys have dug holes all over the back yard...under the sides of things and wherever they can get their beaks. the result is that when you stand on a brick or paver, it collapses and you nearly fall over. They mine under the sides of things so it is rather treacherous walking around.

Today we go to Caloundra to collect youngest son and friends. We were childless for a day as the second one moved out yesterday. After 23 very hectic years, it is really strange when it comes to an abrupt stop. Last year we had a full house and the mattress brigade were regulars but they won't be dropping in either. I thought we'd be like "Packed to the Rafters" for a while. Almost feel useless! I will have time to do painting and gardening.

On December 1, watering restrictions change and we will be on 'water conservation' which means we can hose when needed between 4pm and early am and I think even some irrigation devices are allowed. Good news for the gardens. Ciao! Stay cool! (I suppose you are freezing down south there, Jean and Colleen? Send me an iceberg!)

barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. It's lovely and cool here today Kat. I like it like this. Really don't like the heat or the humidity. We have had more wind here so I think it's just as well that the pine was taken down. Kat I dont know how you stand those turkeys. I think that I would have a talk to them and tell them that they have to stay in their own area of the garden . The chooks make enough mess when they get into a part of the garden that I dont want them. I just clap my hands and they head for their yard again. They haven't found the shadehouse yet. The tadpoles are getting bigger and seem to be quite happy in there. Chrissy you must still be getting the heat that we had last week. I feel for you. Best thoughts for your brother tomorrow. Must go and do some work. Be back later. Hope everyone is feeling well. Colleen.

Thumbnail by ctmorris
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Anthony, please send that rain up to Chrissy & me! :) Lilies are lovely. What lilies do you grow in Hobart? I am sure you would have a good climate for many. I love visiting my elderly cousins in Launceston. Given different committments, I would be gardening in Tassie! Now, what was that rose you posted a pix of?

Hi all.

Colleen, how did the 'Bucks Fizz' cuttings go? Did they take? The mother plant here is as limp as in the heat from yesterday. We ducked out early this morning to water the garden... pots etc. Another dust storm, not red like last time but white like talc. Back inside as the air is unhealthy. I hope tomorrow when I go back to work this will have passed.

Yes, lovely Pandas Chrissy. Kindest thoughts for your brother. You will have a smile Chrissy, one of my boys has developed a big crush on "Pink"! :) No, not the colour! :)) "Pink this, Pink that... never a sentence without "Pink" in it! :)) Oh to be 25 going on 13... :) The joys of intellectual disability! "Philip" sent me the following link. I had better get back to him, before he starts pestering his Mum to call Waye to call Pink to come and visit again! :)))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGrkoAEpPlA

I must admit though, I am a sucker when it comes to pretty girls in wedding dresses! Heres to all the "princesses"! :)))

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

what liliums do i grow wayne?how much time have you..lets see..asiatics/hybrid /tango/miniature.......tigrinum/orange/tan[rare]/double lancifolium.....trumpets/mini/canterbury/english/chinese...aurelian crosses.....cardiocrinum giganteum,,,,,orienpets[absolutely indestructable]]....orientals.....species rhodopaeum/lankongense/wardii/leichtlinii/vollmeri/pumilum/many varied species turks caps/grayii/ kroell mystery pack crosses/griesbach orienpets[the new plum range coming this year]hopefully]they are magnificent..bellamcanda chinesis,,green goddess,,formosanum +crosses,,longiflorum,,,,,and many more....its an addiction..a lot of these are seedlings and please appreciate that some take a 'looooooonnnng' time to grow...ive studied liliums for about 4 years now,but i know when its time to switch off.....heres asiatic[very wet]POLLYANNA

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Who is the "Princess" Wayne? what a pretty subject for a photo.
I totally agree with your son "Pink" is terrific.

Weren't they healthy looking Pandas, Chrissie.
Glossy coats and all.

Kat, the turkey talk fascinates me...are they as big as they look?...a friend in the US. sent me a photo of
wild turkeys in her backyard..I know that ours are different....do they travel in groups and do they come and go or do they stay around?

Anthony....are those Tigrinums the old fashioned one that we used to call Tiger Lilies, they were singles and doubles?
Dianne

This message was edited Nov 29, 2009 3:04 PM

This message was edited Nov 29, 2009 3:05 PM

yes dianne tigrinum is tiger[sorry,too much time studying] but there are so many types..its not good to have them growing near other types as they eventually eradicate your other liliums.....double lancifolium is''flore pleno'' strange and ugly....i have a double yellow oriental too..will be posting a pic of each new bloom as they come along,that way i have the picture and name of each lilium for further customers/collectors....also will help me when im senile,[which will probably be by 6 tonight]...seriously,i love collecting lilies and love showing them.....anybody who has known me a long time,cant believe this is my passion...tassie has some of the best growers in the world and believe it or not,most are men

Hello to anyone dropping into the tea shop ...our dear jean is at the hospital with her beloved hubby who has chest pains.
We send you all our love and very best wishes jean, hopefully hubby will be treated and allowed back home soon.
(((Hugs))) from everyone here at the tea shop.

barmera, Australia

Jean I hope everything is okay with hubby and that you're back home now. Let us know when you can. Colleen

77..my thoughts and prayers are with you

Barmera, Australia

My best wishes too, Jean. Those chest pains can be caused by all sorts of things but we tend to think the worst and worry like blazes.
Brian

Cooo Eeee ...
Oh I didn't know the tea room was still closed ...sorry everyone, I have put the urn on for jean ...I do hope her news will be better today, we are thinking of you and your dear hubby jean hurry back as soon as you can, but look after that man of yours first.
My news is no news ...my brother is still in Intensive care and the operation cannot be performed because he isn't well enough. They are making an "informal' date two weeks along depending on his health.
It's monday so lets try and have a happier week this week, I hope everyone else is feeling ok ...it's almost December.
There are lots of seeds sprouting in this heat ...what are you all growing from seeds?
I love tiger lillies ...your lillies are just lovely g_whizz.
Kat do you think the pill might work on the turkeys ...crush a few into some food and it may stop them from breeding ...of course I jest but really I just could not cop that.
Oh wayne beautiful brides and ballerinas ...the stuff of childhood play ...fushias were the ballerinas, your old sydney double white brugs would have make the most adorable brides. I always looked for fairies in the mushrooms ...and didn't they bathe in the pool of dew you found on the nasturtiums. (Sigh).
I love children ... chooks and tadpoles colleen.
Audry Hepburn once said that heaven must be full of children and flowers ...I think so too don't you?*maybe chooks and tadpoles too.
Today is a reasonable temp ...thank goodness, the heat has been very cruel ...that hot wind just drives you nuts as you watch it rip and burn, it has gone now for which I am very grateful, so I hope everyone has a mild day where you are and that this is the beginning of a lovely week.
a big wave to everyone out there.
Enjoy a nice cuppa and a friendly chat.

Thumbnail by
melbourne, Australia

sending my thoughts to jean and chrissie.... hope your loved ones are out of hospital soon and healthy and well for xmas.
its quite cool here today - and very windy.
shelly xx

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

All the best Jean for a positive outcome for your hubby...my thoughts are with you.

Chrissy, My thoughts are with you too.I hope all goes well for your brother...It must be an extremly stressfull time for you all, but a comfort to know he is in the best care possible.

townsville, Australia

Good morning all, I woke up this morning to a cup of tea, flowers and pressies, a nice way to start a monday.
But I am sad for Jean and Chrissy, all the best wishes I have are heading south for you both. Fingers and toes are crossed for both your hubby and brother.

Shell

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Jean and Chrissy, my best thoughts and kindest regards to you both and with yours.

Loved your "Cooo Eeee ..." Chrissy!
I wondered who that was this morning!!!!
There I was, head down, tail up in the garden contemplating the rampant growth of oxalis...
Then, from a south western direction came your call to the Tea Room! :)

Take care one and all. Thank you so very much for this past months gardening friendship.

Two "garden faries" to wish you good night.

PS Dianne AKA Seachanger. The "Princesses" are my neices nieces if that makes sense.
Nice pix.
Dressing up can be so much fun! :)

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 2:32 AM

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Brisbane, Australia

I hope all is well for your family members, Jean and Chrissy. It's amazing how we take good health for granted. Jean, I hope it is a minor problem and you will both be back feeding the magpies..and us, cyberwise! Thinking of you and sending warm thoughts and positive vibes and cyberhugs. Kat

barmera, Australia

Jean and Chrissy I'm thinking of you both. As Kat says Jean hope it's just a minor problem with hubby and he'll be back "hamming" it up soon. Chrissy the waiting must be terrible for both you and your brother. I hope he's on the mend soon so that he can get this op over and done with so he's well for Christmas. Colleen

Jean and Chrissie... for people who love their gardens and take so much pleasure in the nurturing of them, I like to think that Mother Nature returns the favour and keeps an eye on their loved ones too.
Dianne

wayne your great ... great ... nieces are just so sweet and lovely in their beautiful petal gowns. ^_^
Thanks for all your kind wishes everyone and I know we are all thinking of jean and her loved one ...it helps to know we can share the pain as well as the joy ...it means a lot.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 8:01 AM

Thumbnail by

A pinch and a punch for everyone on this beautiful 1st of December....Jean, I have brought a Thermos to share until you can open up and put the kettle on.....I am missing your delicious cakes.....a friend in the US baked a Red Velvet cake for Thanksgiving...sounds delicious. Have a good day everyone.

Wayne the girls will love you for those photos when they are older....they are beautiful in b/w.
Dianne

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 7:13 AM

Merino, Australia

Hello all. I'm back.
Hubby came home today. He is still a bit wobbly on his pins but feeling better for being home.
He says hospital is good when you are doped up and really ill but once he feels better he gets restless. It was a scary time as he couldn't breathe properly as well as being unable to move much. I never wasted time trying to move him, I just called an ambulance. The best thing to do and let the experts deal with things. The doctors haven't worked out exactly what went on but have decided it was either a clot in the lung or severe angina. The oxygen level in his blood was way below normal and still is a bit. This can be a sign of a clot in the lung but the tests show nothing. As he has been getting clot reducing medication since admission, the doctor said it could have been very small ones that don't show on tests. He is to take it easy ( ha ha ) and rest. It could happen any time again.
I can now sit down and relax. I had no time to talk to the plants, and practically threw food at the maggies in passing. I just read all your messages. thank you all so much for the good wishes.
Chrissy, I do hope all goes well and quickly for your brother.
I am off out to have a stroll around the garden and see what it did when I wasn't looking.
It rained for the whole weekend which made driving a bit hazardous. Yesterday and today are fine and warm.
I thank you, Chrissy for opening the Tea Room and also Dianne for the thermos to share.
I will see you all tomorrow. Have a great day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Barmera, Australia

G'Day Jean good that you are back and your husband is reasonably OK. Tell him to behave himself or you'll chop off his antenae.
Brian

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.