ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 165 HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I don't think I gave a proper welcome to you 2nd Janet, but good to have you here, and you will enjoy all the folks who post.

You need to start making plans to attend the spring RU and meet all face to face. It is always nice.

Need to scurry, I am off to church in just a few minutes.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet, I know your pain, girlfriend...unemployment sucks....

Kinda depressed here today. Glad the sun is shining though...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here too Janet2!

Beautiful Day out there!!!!

Perfect for Whale Watching!
Oh wait ........ no Ocean
Well maybe our neighbor will come out in a Thong...... lol!

Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL Ric!!! You crazy thing! I'm tellin Robyn!!
I will tell Morris you guys said happy 90th!
Bonnie...I guess we will find out when she comes...if she is staying or not. I kinda doubt it..as her truck is there..as well as all her belongings. Somehow..she needs to get them home. She told my DIL she doesn't want to come back to Ohio to live..wants to go back to Florida...but she needs a job there first! What a mess she has gotten into..well.that is..unless she wants to stay with him???? Who the heck knows????? I am just the mom..I don't know anything!!!
Well..I skipped church this morning. Was pretty tired after that party last night...and just felt like sleeping in...so I did. I will probably hear about it from my SIL...lol!
We are going to try and get some outside decorating done today..plus a little shopping for DGS's birthday..which is this coming Friday. He will be 6...and he wants a skateboard! He says he knows how to use one...lol. Thought we might get him one of the old style ones. Of course that means headgear...knee pads..etc. too. He is a wild man child!
It is sunny and fairly warm here today..yayyyy! I LOVE IT!!! But I guess 'colder' is coming tomorrow.
Have a wonderful day all!

not much here
finaly am over this allergy attack and them twisted my back ! sheesh
cold and windy here brrrrr
feed chickens , that is all i want to do outside lol
Marcy its just my HO but i would wait on the skate board. I would get a scooter . Its like a skate board but with a handle . Much easier to ride for that age just my two cents :) cuz Austin wants one too LOL and we don't have anywhere for him to ride it ? we are all gravel and mud here Ha
bl

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thank y'all kindly for the warm handshake....LOL

Well if we do stay put for another year (we have been reading in the newspapers up here that Ohio is trying to get an extension on the cobra payments.... ) figures crossed cause if that does come through then we might can hang on for at least another year.... if it doesn't I'm not sure what will come... with next year...

now back to my original thought is if we are still here and I get my greenhouse up then I will be coming to the RU, as I'm WS about 200 different seeds so I'll have plenty to share.....LOL

Janet
(2nd)

Waddy, KY

Let me also add my welcome Janet and the hope that your DH finds work and things turn for the better.

Did market Saturday in Lexington. Thankfully next week we move inside where at least it's wrarm. I'm going to give it a try through Christmas and then I suspect I'll hang up my pans until next spring. I want to get that greenhouse up sometime this winter so it'll be ready for tomatoes and whatever else I want to start come spring.

Cut wood yesterday and the kids split it today while I got my 9 blueberry bushes planted. I'm going to have to figure out some sort of cage for the plants because the year old plants have been well pruned by either rabbits or deer. They're still alive but they need a little relief. Planted 3 bags of tulips and looked in the sack. 6 more bags and I'm done. I can't believe I was that stupid. But at a dollar a bag I just couldn't seem to stop putting them in my basket....

Paul did his barium enema last week and has an appointment on Wed. to go over the results with the surgeon . I'm hoping that things look good to get it stepped down, or reversed, before Christmas. He'd certainly take that as his Christmas gift. It's so frustrating to be out doing something and the bag come loose. I don't think they made those bags for farmers.

I agree with Sue, not sure a skateboard is what a 6 year old needs. But then there's a lot of things I don't think a kid needs at all. I've saved a lot of money not buying my kids game cubes, and fancy gadgets. It's bad enough that we finally had to let Kate drive the 4 wheeler to feed the cows.

Calf got kicked out to the barn. It tried to follow Stephanie up the basement steps the other night after getting fed and if the rascal felt good enough to do that he was good enough to hit the real world. Unfortunately the heifer is still stupid and we're afraid to let him stay with her longer than it takes him to strip her out but it's a start. She's already signed her transfer papers. As soon as he gets weaned she's gonna take a little trip. Life's too short to deal with a cow that wants to plant you in the ground and won't take her calf to boot!

Janet

LOL Janet 1 we had a friend who had a dog like that ! this dog was sooooo stooopid !! she was a rotten mother just rotten ! we bottle fed them pups and what a pain ( i can see her reason LOL ) and then my stooooopid friend tried to breed her again and guess what ? same darn thing , dog didn't want anything to do with them pups ! sheesh. i told my friend " if you think about doing this a third time !!! i will put you on a call to the animal shelter !!! give it up already " she didn't do it a third time . thank goodness
good night folks
sleep well my friends

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

for ease I will go by what I really like to be called anyway, and that is Jan.

Janet, your load is a heavy one and I'll pray for endurance for you and your family. Life is hard at times, but our final place makes it so worth it.

it is so funny that there you were right down the road from me and a Janet as well... I was always going through waddy. We lived just south on 127 S from Danville.

I do like your views on the cow, sad that it is, but when ya got them and they won't do what they should be doing naturally then there isn't any sense in fighting with them. Too much work. When we lived in KY I had Nigerian dwarf dairy goats, I was about to be the very first licensed goat dairy for raw milk aged cheese, but then DH job went to Mexico, he was lucky enough to get another one up here and now he was let go back in June. He was the oldest 60 and the only one to be laid off. So here we are up here paying a mortgage that is 5 times what we paid in KY and less land. Everything up here is so expensive I don't see how anyone makes it. I miss KY for sure but I don't miss the hot humid summers. The summers up here are what make it almost bearable for having to endure the winters.... just too back winter is 9 months of the year....

Well off to take of the collies.

night all
Jan

Just getting here from earlier today. It has been a busy one. Went to church, then home for hamburgers that DGD made, they were really good. Had a little rest, and then off to church again for the Hanging of the Greens ceremony. Was great, and this way the church got decorated, and everybody helped, not just me by myself. This is the first pastor that has done this, and I am thinking that I really like this ceremony. I have done the decorating alone for about 10 years, maybe longer than that, and it takes me about 2 days to get everythihg out, decorated, and then the containers stored away, and then I have hired someone to "undecorate" after christmas as I was tired after doing that and at my house.

We have had those uncooperative females before, and honestly, I have seen some that would be better sterilized,or shot immediately. Janet, she would certainly make a lot of hamburger!! Sure hope DH is able to have the ostomy reversed. I am sure that there are many things that he tries to do that makes it very uncomfortable of inconvenient. Have you scheduled any of your surgeries?

Sue, sorry that you are having allergy problems, and now a twisted back. Are you taking lessons from me? Seems like I get one thing all taken care of and then I have another body part that just won't cooperate.

Marcy, I am hoping that your DD just needs a break, and is experiencing some homesickness. I know what it is like to be home sick, and it is not a good feeling. One time, I believe I would have sold my first born, just to be back in Henry County.

Ric, have you heard when or if you will be going back to work? I would think now that it will be the first of the year. Although, you certainly have put your time to good use. Is Robin all decorated now? I bet it is a sight to behold.

Joyce, you shouldn't be depressed, you are heading to Hawaii soon, and I would be so busy that I wouldn't have time to be depressed. I thought maybe Ric was talking about you apprearing in a thong!!

Janet #2, you see we try to keep each other entertained, and enlightened. If you have to move, where will it be, or in what direction? Just depends on where the work is? Have you already started the winter sowing? Gosh, I have only done it 2 times, and with my climate, I started a lot later than this. Please fill me in on the details, and what kind of set up do you have to nurture those little babies along.

well, off to do some other reading, have a chiro appointment in the morning, so will check in when I get home.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Aged Goat Cheese?
You're KILLEN' me!
Love it! Collie Janet

GREAT news on the ostomy Janet!
That WOULD be a perfect Christmas Present for Paul!

Unfortunately we worked w/ a women just like that Cow and Female Canine (you get flagged if you use the correct term).
She loved to have babies then wouldn't raise them... 5 at last count...
2 in prison and the girls are raising another generation.
Shame you just can't stop the cycle like w/ pets and stock.......

Raining here but mild and 54° .
Looks like it's about to move out of here.

Worked on the lights and are just about finished.
Also caught and transfered a few more goldfish.
We'll finish the Sewing Room door tomorrow.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We cross posted Bonnie.
This is traditionally our down time anyway so it would be at least after the New Year.

I do have a good lead on a construction job. Restaurant Kitchen Remodeling.
Some guys I know are pushing me for the job opening.
It's kind of what I did for 22 years but on a different level.
We'll see.....

Ric

Ric, it is raining here, Mr. B went outside, and evidently it is raining quite more than a sprinkle, as he did the dog shake thing, which sent me scurrying for a towel.

Oh, well if not with the old company, with another doing something you evidently enjoyed. Good luck.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well...DD finally emailed me and asked if she could stay with us...lol! I said of course!
So when she gets in at 9 am on Tuesday..she will be going straight to see her youngest daughter...but said she would be here before the traffic started. Her DD lives in Xenia...so about 1 1/2 hrs from us ....but she can take hiways most of the way.
Anyway...looking forward to seeing her. It's been a while!
I am off to bed here....nite all!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I just took that one because I needed it at the time.
It definitely wasn't where I wanted to be.
But they pay well enough and it was steady.... for two years anyway...lol!

In this economy, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Oh no if they call..... lol!

Marcy glad she's popping home!

Ric

Janet 1 can we call you CJ ? (collie Janet )
wow i m with Ric on the raw milk. hard to find around here ! i would kill for that . We want to do goats and do raw milk and get into a cow share program ( not with the goats ) when we get cows . .
well not much here
have a great morning !

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sue goat milking is a lot easier.
I did it for a week w/ no problems .... well except my hands are too big.
I had to use a three finger grip and I kept getting cramps.

Youngs sells their milk w/o it being homogenized.
So you can do some serious projects w/ it..... butter, iced cream, etc.

Today Robyn will get some more stuff out and incorporated into the light display.
Still have boxes of interior display items but w/ all the construction that won't be happening....lol!

I have to put the hinges on the new door, hang it and finish the framing.
I'll do the exterior work tomorrow when we're supposed to have mid 50's and sunny.
We put contractor's plastic over the outside opening Saturday so we can work indoors w/o letting all that cold air enter.
It's a strange door but as I suspected look Killer in the space.

Ric

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

Welcome Jan
This group took me in about a year ago and I enjoy listening to them daily and occasionally check in
I remember when we had cows that would not take the calf. One little fellow got dropped and abandoned. He got into the yard somehow. Maybe jusst rolled under the barbed wire fence. He decided my DH was his mommy and followed hime everywhere. He must have landed on his head at birth cause he was the stupidest calf you ever saw. He really needed that cow to calf bonding. My sons who were teens at the time named him !#^* head. We still laugh about him. We too have brought calves indoors and tried to save them when they would get too cold immediately after birth. Sometimes it worked ' sometimes it didn't. You all have given me a trip down memory lane. My DH had cattle for 50 years starting at age l6. When we sold them he immediately took down our fences so he wouldn't be tempted to buy more back.
We also raised tobacco with the help of the 4 kids. It was a hard life but a good one. DH worked at Cummins Engine Co all those years and farmed nights and week-ends.
Ric I am going back a few posts but on the Yellow Buns do you use yellow corn meal to make them yellow? Were they delicious when you made them.. I copied the recipe and am adding it to my verrrry larged collection of recipes to try. I really need to get cookin'
Veronica

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Veronica I did use yellow corn and it and the eggs gave it a yellow tint.
THEY WERE EXCELLENT!
I have had 5 requests from Family or people we gifted them too for the recipe.

I'll hook up w/ you to trade baking recipes.

Ric

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

I will get some yellow corn meal soon and try them. I just told Woody at noon that I missed having some yeast rolls to eat with our leftovers. My great neice brings a few but they are cold and then by the time I get through the line they are all gone. Think I'm going to have to either make some myself or get one of my girls to learn to make them..
Yeah Ric I have noticed that you like to cook or is it bake. I used to do so much of that but now I have really slacked off. Gonna turn over a new leaf. My youngest daughter bakes all the time but doesn't eat it. I don't have that will power.

Back to the rolls 5 requests are a great testimony to their tastiness. I am so hungry and I just ate lunch about an hour ago.
Veronica

just got back from town
did some errands
moved some firewood or i hope its still firewood. We had it under a tarp ( not my idea ) and its just growing mushrooms and is very wet !
so i moved what i thought was still salvagable.
got the rotting watermelons in the compost
got some tools in GH and guess what is growing in my new GH ? LOL dandylions ! ha one of them went to seed i will let them grow cuz i know by spring it will be half chicken coop and half green house LOL sheesh i hope some grow so i can feed the chickens some in january gets might warm in there
so i ate lunch and am just relaxing
i had a muscle got bad yesterday but today is good. Yes Ric i think it was a spasm also and i didn't poop it out either ROFLLLL
later

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It's raining here. Has been since last night. Wet and cold. I hate it. Had to go untangle Cowboy. He couldn't get in his house. Fed the chickens. Only got one eggs today. I've been getting 2. Maybe one of my girls doesn't like the weather any more than I do. :)
I hayed 4 of the horses. Still have to feed them and the pigs. Then have to feed the other 6 horses.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Wow you guys and gals are all hard at work today!
Dave and I have been cleaning and putting up Christmas decorations. Just got the tree put up, and had to sit a minute. My tree is falling apart! Dave said we will junk it when it comes down this year. So many little part thingies are coming off...and one part didn't want to light, but finally did when we just happened to jiggle the right thing...lol. That doesn't sound too good does it? Anyway..I told him not to breathe on it. Now we just have to have the kids come and decorate it. (it's a prelit tree)
I have been washing blankets today, besides the regular laundry....so that will be done.
DD called and sounded really upbeat and happy about coming in. The way she talked, she is staying out there...sooo?????? Guess they just have to get adjusted to each other. LOL..I know how that goes...I'm still not adjusted to Dave...after 49 yrs!!!! Hahahaa!!! He's not adjusted to me either!!!
Well..trying to figure out what to have for supper tonight? I forgot to get anything out of the freezer, and the turkey is worn out! Thinkin thinkin'!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

We are eating pot pies. I used leftover turkey, boiled some potatoes, carrots and onions, tossed all that in homemade pie crusts along with gravy, a handful of bacon, corn and green beans and that is dinner. Pretty good too. :)

Chelle that sounds good ! yummy
tomorrow i will make chilli or maybe its more beef soup ?
carrots
onion
celery
1 jar salsa
ground beef
crushed tomatos
tomato juice
huh i guess its beef soup ?
looks like chilli ?
anyway
Marcy to funny on the " adjusting to Dave after 49 yrs LOL " you crack me up .
hi to everyone
bbls

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Ooo, that sounds yummy with the salsa! I like chili that clears the sinuses, lol.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Went back up the hill after dark to put some straw in Cowboy's house and tossed a little in with the chickens. There were 2 eggs in the nest so that made 3 today!! I love my girls.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We need fresh eggs.
Wish everyone getting them wasn't at least 30 miles away....

Cool and cloudy most of the day.
Robyn worked lights.
I moved some more plants to the GH, moved a few solar panels and did some watering.
Then tackled the back door.
Well the door to the HT not the new one.
I got tired of moving the storm door we had closing off the Sewing Room to the front walk around.
So I installed it on the Deck door.
It was a wiggle fit and I had to do a little trim modification but it's in and air tight.
That's the north side of the house and it should really help w/ heating costs.

Ric

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh fresh eggs, I'm so wanting some.... my next door neighbor starting building the hilton of chicken coops this summer and it is finally done, and now winter is here. I've tried to tell him to just hold off till next spring now to get the chickens, as I sure wouldn't want to have to deal with them in this winter unless I had a nice cozy barn for them to get into instead of just a stand alone coop. We have way to many skunks, raccoons to have to watch out for them getting in with the chickens...LOL.

Nothin better than home made goats milk cheese or soap for that matter...

Jan

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have 3 nannies that I am going to breed soon for spring kids. Gonna have plenty milk to drink and make cheese with.

Good evening, I am slinking in cause I have done nothing productive all day. I sat and looked at it!! It didn't go away, nor did it remedy itself, so guess I will need to tackle it tomorrow.

I am still going to the chiropractor 3 days a week and still in lots of pain. I have been going for 3 1/2 weeks, and can see no difference. he says it is a pinched nerve. I sound like a broken record, and am looking forward to the time that I can say that I actually feel fine and mean it!!

I made a pot of chili today and had some for lunch. It was good. DH went with his DB to sell tobacco and they were just across the river from Belterra and they went there and ate at the buffet. I told him that I thought I needed some gaming therapy, and soon.

I hear you on the rain. We had it from early last night until about mid morning today. It has gotten lots cooler, and with the rain makes it seem down right cold.

marcy I am glad to hear the DD is upbeat, maybe just needing some mommy time, and to be near familiar places. It does take time to adjust to a new situation, or to a new location. When DH and I married we moved to the next county a total of about 20 miles, and it seemed we lived in a foreign country. We were homesick for a whole year, and then we decided that we needed to move "back home". Neither of us is near where we grew up, but it was home!!

Yeast bread is my downfall. I would rather have hot homemade bread and butter than any dessert you could name. I have a friend who bakes me a loaf of SourDough bread about once every couple of months, and I am so protective of it. You have to be a close family member or a very good friend to get any of that.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Sounds like everyone is doing great! We've just been hibernating the last couple of days, taking a break from outdoor projects and yard work. Can't get too enthused about working out in the cloudy and/or damp weather, when we don't have to. No critters at the moment to care for.

good morning
i m going to try and do my work out class today .
Ric i will try not to "poop out a rib today " LOL
hope you all have a good day
stay warm !

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

off to work I go, off to work I go......

Jan

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We should hit 55° today.
Full Moon tomorrow night.
Last night's moon looked like a street light and was right over the HT at 10 PM.
New Year's Eve will be a 'Blue Moon'... (Cue 'Twilight Zone' Music)

As we wait for the temps to come up a bit we will be bringing the final plants indoors.
First we have to move a bunch from the Porch GH (where it's 24° warmer than outside!) upstairs to
new GH.
Then after a little cleaning up we'll finish the plastic off up there for the season.
We need room on the Porch for the last water feature.
It will hold the marginally hardy plants we still have outside.
Papyrus, dwarf papyrus, water Canna, etc....
The Thalia pots have already been sunk in the pond.

One of the reasons it takes Robyn so long to set up the displays is they are not just night time events.
Since our yard is so small and so close to the road they have daylight interest also.
Think of indoor decorating outdoors......
This is VERY early on in the process.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's an update from Dusty on Aaron's condition.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7324979

Ric

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

On the cold, rainy days the critters are the only thing that gets me out. I hope the sun shines today. My head has been hurting for 3 days.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Friends...I'm here and won't be gone. We've cancelled our trip. Bill's brother is in Intensive Care in Florida with a blood infection and he's really worried that he might lose him. So the trip is off. I think you all know that I wasn't that thrilled about going during the holiday season, so I have mixed emotions. I will be putting my tree up now though!

Cayenne was really happy when I told her that we weren't going. She loves Bertie and Maggie and Herb, but it's just not the same when her beloved Dad is gone!

Bill has been working really hard on the inside of the old laundromat building. We're hoping to get it rented out soon. Our other building we have downtown is vacant now, too. It needs a little help before that one can go up for rent. Surely would be nice to see those full and the $$ coming in!

Welcome Janet, in case I didn't say that before!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.