ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 165 HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1052842/

Happy Thanksgiving to you ALL!

Be Safe, Be Happy and Be Thankful!

Many Thanks to all of you our Friends!!
Ric and Robyn

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Same sentiments Ric, thanks to all who have had a part in making me feel welcome.

Have a safe Thanksgiving Day.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you from Georgia...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Whoa! Look who flew in right above me!

Hey all! Sorry all I do is lurk anymore and seldom post, but I do read most of the thread. Just no time to sit down and type to everyone.

Wanted to pop in and tell everyone to have a great Thanksgiving.

Mom and I are headed to Kentucky to spend the day with my cousin. Mom's sister is traveling there with her son and wife from St. Louis. First time we will all be together for a holiday in over 40 years.

big hugs to everyone.

Jules and Betty (Jules Mom)

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

another lurker popping in to say Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
I decided to treat the wild turkeys to a Thanksgiving meal of corn--they have much to be thankful for in today's world, with poultry farms, lol.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Happy Thanksgiving To Everyone! May all your blessings be large and your worries small.

Top Ten Signs You've Eaten Too Much at Thanksgiving Dinner
(from David Letterman's Top Ten Lists)

10. Hundreds of volunteers have started to stack sandbags
around you.

9. Doctor tells you your weight would be perfect for a man
17 feet tall.

8. You are responsible for a slight but measurable shift in
the earth's axis.

7. Right this minute you're laughing up pie on the carpet.

6. You decide to take a little nap and wake up in mid-July.

5. World's fattest man sends you a telegram, warning you to
"back off!"

4. CBS tells you to lose weight or else.

3. Getting off your couch requires help from the fire
department.

2. Every escalator you step on immediately grinds to a halt.

1. You're sweatin' gravy.

Waddy, KY

Mercy! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Went to my mother's at lunch. We'll do supper at MIL's tomorrow night.

Been messing with a new calf that's been sick. Been in the basement for 2 days now. The cow is crazy, tore up the barn and left town leaving the calf by itself. Brought it to the house to warm up and it started to scour. We had to tube feed it several feedings. I hate to tube a calf because I'm always afraid I'll get the tube in the lungs and drown it instead. Fortunately the calf seems to be getting a little better and took the bottle tonight so I imagine he'll be kicked out into the cold, cold world in the next day or so.

In the process of making a chocolate pie for tomorrow night's supper. I'm hoping I can get in there and be in charge of cooking the turkey. Every time my SIL does it the bird is dry as leather and has about that much taste.

Good to see you lurkers coming out to say Hi. You don't have to wait until a holiday to drop in you know.

Bonnie, hope that back tames down some. The couple of times mine has flared up has given me a new respect for folks with back trouble.

Better get back to making my pie.

Everybody have a lovely Thanksgiving evening.

Janet, sounds like you are going to have an extended Thanksgiving. That is good. We have been invited to DH's sister's tomorrow, and he has planned a hunting trip, so probably won't make it. Just as well, I will call missing that meal "being on a diet" Does that really count? Good luck with the little calf. I have done that also in the past when we had livestock. DH kept a good sized wooden box (it doubled as our wood box) in the house, and when we had a sickly animal, in it came to warm up and to recouperate. I have had calves and pigs and a colt inside. Farmers are sure strange creatures!

Janet, my DS's SO cooked the turkey we had at lunch, and although it was moist, I have brined mine for the past couple of years, and it sure wasn't as good as mine. But since she volunteered i accepted and you have to eat the results.

I had 8 for lunch, and it was very good. DGD helped me with the preparations yesterday. She made the pecan pie and the pumpkin pie, and everybody was impressed. The kid is good, and I am teaching her to be a good cook. She has been helping me cook since she had to stand on a chair. Her mother didn't want to fool with teaching her, and as a result, I think she is a better cook at 13 than her mother is.

Since nobody else has checked in, I am assuming they still have company, are on the road home from visiting relatives, or have eaten themselves into a coma!

DGD is going shopping with some friends early in the morning, and wanted to know if I wanted to go with them. Heavens no!! Sam's club is having a sale but it is through the weekend, and I may go there on Saturday, or Sunday afternoon. DH wants a GPS for Christmas, and they have some on sale.

I have a chiropractor appointment early in the morning, and when I get back from that, I am in for the day. I have many things to do for Christmas gifts, and need to get them finished. DGD and I went out to my garden shed late this afternoon and did stained glass work. In the winter it is my hobby/crafts space, so I call it my "Studio". Makes it sound really important. It is a good place to work, as I don't have to put all the stuff away, can just walk out and leave it, and then go back and pick up where I left off.

Well, I am heading to bed shortly, in order to be up early for my appointment.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Back Safe and Sound.

BBL
Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Janet...sorry about the calf. Hope you got your pie done!
Bonnie, I think that's about what I did...eat myself into a coma! LOL! Well not really. By the time I got it all on the table, I didn't seem very hungry. It will probably taste better to me tomorrow..leftover!
We all had an enjoyable time, and plenty to eat. I sent food home with the kids so Dave and I don't have to eat so much!
I will be going to the grocery store tomorrow again! Geesh..it never ends!
On Saturday, I am going to make some chocolate chip cookies to take to Morris, for his 90th birthday party! It's a surprise!
Sleep well everyone...I am heading to bed for some extra rest that I missed last night!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Nice mellow Thanksgiving here.
The drive up and back was uneventful...
Food was plentiful.
It was sleeting in 'Creek.

One thing though, we drove by Toys"R"Us at about 9 PM.
There were at least 50 people waiting in line, in the rain, for a Midnight Madness Sale...... LOL!
The store will open from Midnight to One..... then reopen at 5 AM.....

Ric

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Dusty and her son Aaron need our prayers...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1058833/

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

another lurker here, just wanted to say what a wonderful group of folks on here.

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving went well.

Janet
(yes another one on here, lol, and to make it worst we are from KY, but now live up here in what I call the north pole)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I was just over here following up.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1058679/

The gest is Aaron, Dusty's Son was in a terrible wreck yesterday afternoon.

Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thank you Julie, for making us aware of this tragedy.
It sounds like he was really broken up badly. My prayers are with him, and with Dusty. I am sure..as a mother...this is very hard for her.
Janet...welcome!!! We are allowed to have more than one Janet here...lol. Please continue to post with us. I hope your Thanksgiving was great as well. Mine was fantastic!
Even though I am a native Ohioan, I agree with the north pole syndrome...lol!
Nothing much happening here, except with my daughter....and not sure what is going on there either???? But it seems she is NOT happy in WA. So I don't know what will happen on that? Kids!!
Ok..I am off to eat lunch and then on to my shopping..ugh! Not my favorite thing to do...for sure!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

11:04 update from Dusty.
Aaron survived the night and it sounds like it's still touch and go.
The first 24 hours are the most critical and he's still hanging on so......

I met Aaron, nice kid. IF he is anything like his mom .... then he will make it . He is a tough one. T&P for them
hi gang
sorry haven't been feeling well.
just a quick post to say hi

Me neither, lousy cold, but praying for Dusty and son...thanks for the update, Ric.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

As of 7:38 this evening Aaron is stll hanging strong as are Dusty and Jim.
Doris, a friend of her's from Cartersville, stopped by the house and checked on them.
Aaron has surgery scheduled tomorrow and of course many more to come.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7314914

Ric

This message was edited Nov 27, 2009 8:24 PM

So sorry to hear the news about Dusty's son. Sure saying prayers for him and for Dusty, and his wife and children.

Had a chiropractor appointment this morning, came home and did some straightening on the house, then sat and read and took a nap. So a really laid back day here.

DGD went to the Black Friday sales and got almost all of her shopping done. Not me, didn't want to fight the crowds.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

News from Dusty

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7315121

Ric

Thanks Ric for that link. Will continue to keep everyone in my prayers.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Yep, Bonnie, we ate ourselves into a coma, too! LOL! Just the two of us, but enough food prepared for 8 or 10.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I've met Dusty's son, Aaron, and he is such a sweet man. Has a wonderful smile and you could tell he loves his mama lots. Feel so bad there is nothing to do but pray...

My toffee was a big hit at Thanksgiving. Wish it didn't cost so much to make or I'd add that to my candy list that I sell. Does anyone have a good recipe for potato candy? Someone was asking if I sold that, so thought I might give it a try if I could find a good enough (cheap, too) recipe.

Just 4 days until we leave for Hawaii. I'm getting excited now and should probably drag out the suitcases and get started. Luckily there is a washer and dryer where we are staying, so we won't have to haul two weeks worth of clothes. I'm looking forward to sitting in the sun, reading, swimming, going for walks on the beach and seeing the whales....not necessarily in that order!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

}}}}Joyce{{{{
(Strangling Joyce)

Ric

ROFL @ Ric

I can't believe I didn't take any of the whale sighting trips the whole four years I was stationed in HI...please post pics if you see any, Joyce!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

We have been really lucky on our other Whale Watching trips. Only one of probably 6 resulted in no sightings. The Pacific Whale Foundation is stating that the humpbacks have arrived already, so I'm sure we'll get to see at least a couple.

The first year we went to Hawaii, I went to Kaanapali to a Rotary Meeting. Some big NFL players were there that day as the program, but the whales were breaching just outside the windows of the meeting room, and I couldn't have told you one thing about what those players said!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

RIC! :oP

National Geographic is having a documentary on Orkas and Great White sharks neat stuff !!! i think its tonight ? or monday ?
well they have discovered that Orka's eat Great white sharks and the way they kill is amazing intellagant !!! yeah i know its spelled wrong :P but very amazing stuff . IMHO.
KY i lived on the ocean coast in Calif in Pacifica and Half Moon Bay and never did see a stinking whale !!! sheesh. The only thing i saw was elephant seal on a class trip ! and believe me they are not pretty to look at ? and smell .
Dusty we are all pulling for Aaron he is in our prayers .
bbl
sue

I did get to see green sea turtles, about 50 feet from where I was swimming, and that was cool! Half Moon Bay is pretty, never been to Pacifica.

you can't see Pacifica cuz its to much fog ! LOL that is the joke the locals say.
Green sea turtles that would be so cool !!

Good evening. Had a very mundane day, did a few errands, and read and rested this afternoon. Did help DGD finish a stained glass piece that she is making for a gift. She has gone out with friends, and us oldsters stayed home and I grilled a steak.

Joyce, if you said you were going to Hawaii, I missed that, good grief, I would have not eaten Thanksgiving and made sure I fit in that bathing suit. Do you need someone to carry your luggage? I volunteer.

Any word on Dusty's son?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

"The only thing i saw was elephant seal on a class trip !"
Sue I knew fish ran in schools, but never knew seals took class trips too .... ;-)

Had a problem early.
One of my hoses slipped in the pond.
I had turned off one of the pumps and was draining it for the winter.
Bad news we lost about 80% of the pond water. (about 1/2 full now)
Good news is the fish are fine.
And w/ so little water we were able to catch the little ones FINALLY and move them to their winter home in the Stock Tank.
Also got all the goop cleaned out and the 'hardy's' moved into the deep end.

After fixing the hose we took down and disassembled the leaf netting.
Worked like a charm and there we barely any leaves in the pond.
Considering it's under a 60' tall Maple......

Then decided to work on the new door in the Sewing Room.
The opening is now framed and the door fitted.
Tomorrow (perfect weather again) we will hinge and hang it, finish the outer wall and foam.
Then I can finish the exterior trim and siding during the week.
I'll save a pic until we're done.

And my buddy stopped by and tuned the car, changed the wires and filters and the oil.
We're ready for winter. Well not really but we are prepared.....lol!

Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi all.
Went to Morris' 90th bd party. He was surprised...or so he said...lol. Had to know something was going on when he pulled in the driveway and saw all the cars. In fact, he said to Martha...what is dave and marcia's car doing here?????? LOL. She told him other people had white jeeps too.! She had told him the neighbor was having a shindig, and had asked to park in their field. I don't think he bought it..as I saw the smile on his face when he walked to the door! It was a good party though...must have been at least 40 people there. He loved the chocolate chip cookies I made him...and said Martha wasn't getting any of them!! He also said he plans on at least another ten yrs!!
Well..last I heard...our daughter is coming in on Tuesday morning. Son is picking her up at the airport, and letting her use his car during the day. Then she will pick him up from work. Not sure who she will be staying with that night????? Guess I will just go with the flow!
Y'all have a good night!

Marcy, guess the DD is not happy, do you suppose instead of a visit it will be a permanent move back here? I am so sorry if it is the latter. Jeez, just when you think everything is going okay, then the other shoe drops. Guess we won't need to take a trip west.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

HAPPY 90th BIRTHDAY Morris!!!

Ric and Robyn

My bad Ric LOL i was medicated ! this benadryl is killing me
good morning

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

What a warm a cozy forum this one is.

I think I'm gonna like it here.

So sorry to hear of the terrible accident, I too will be praying for a FULL recovery. Pray for those of us far away is the best thing. Pray works wonders.

Well we didn't have the Thanksgiving I was hoping for, we were planning a trip home to KY to spend the night with SiL in Harrodsburg, then on to Ft Campbell where my daughter in law is, Son is over in Iraq right now, but I did a stupid thing on the internet and ordered a sample product that says it helps with whitening your teeth, for 1.95. Ordered and wasn't watching my checking account everyday and it was two weeks later and both companies took withdrawals out of my checking account 260.00. Bank says I authorized those additional debits and won't give me my money back, even after the branch manager said it was a scam.... So with DH laid off, there went most of the money that I would have used to make the trip home. Bummer as my 1st grand baby is due the first part of February and I wanted to see DIL preg....LOL

But we are hopeful I will get a better paying job with health benefits so that we won't loose the house come February because the cobra health insurance payment goes to 850 a month... ouch. We are in the process of a modified loan on the house... but with only my salary that is terrible and a cobra payment... there isn't enough money to go around...

It is a wonderfully warmer start to the winter up here this year, for the first time in 5 years we didn't wake up to snow on Thanksgiving day, just 2" the day after....LOL but it melted quickly and yesterday even though there was some wind just a beautiful sunny day which is a rare thing up here. I really don't understand how folks take this all the time. The first year up here I was going to get those lights you sit under as I was so depressed after coming from the beautiful sunny skies of KY.

Well better get off here, got to finish up final stuff for my local garden club Christmas dinner which is on Wednesday as I'm stepping down as President, it has been a wonderful year for me, but too many health issues and surgeries coming up to keep up with it. If yall want to take a look at our group here is our web site that I also do. Not too fancy, but at least it lets the community know we are around. www.nordoniahillsgardenclub.com

Everyone have a wonderful last day before the work week begins again.

Janet
(2nd)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.