"stuff" on my plumbago

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

My plumbago babies are indoors for the winter. There is something on mostly the undersides of the leaves that is puzzling me. The foliage looks healthy so far but underneath there is a white, dry substance that feels a bit grainy. It almost looks like spider mites but not quite. I've been spraying on a regular basis with safer soap. It doesn't seem to make any difference at all. Anyone have any ideas? I've been keeping them seperate from the other plants just in case. Oh, and it seems to be showing up on the new growth, too.

Mount Vernon, OH

maybe mealy bugs, they are hard to kill sometimes. Try wiping the leaves with alcohol (try it on one leaf first). You may have to do it a few times.

Danville, IN

Mealy bugs are usually white, but kinda fuzzy. Try straight isopropyl alcohol on one section first. I use it to control mealybugs on my gardenia during the winter. You can also use a Bayer systemic on your plants. Mix one teaspoon per gallon of water, using Bayer Rose Insect & Disease Control, and water each plant with the mix. I know it's not supposed to work on potted plants, but it does. You can also use the 12-month systemic. Better than spraying.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

How often do you water with the systemic? It sounds like just the thing for indoor plants. Lou

Danville, IN

I got the advice to use a systemic from another DGer a few months ago when neem and insecticidal soap weren't working for me. He said he used Bayer (systemic) All in One Rose & Flower Care at the rate of 1 tsp. per QUART (wrong ratio in last post) of water which is then good for 6 weeks. I used the 12-month systemic by Bayer on some of my larger potted plants in the sunroom, and of course that should be good for one full year. The ratio mix is different, depending on the size of the plant. Easy to follow though. Between applications, you water as usual.

I always try to be as organic as possible, but scale and mealybugs were just too much for me late last winter. It was a matter of either using systemics or losing the plants. So far, so good.

There are other brands, but Bayer (in the blue bottles) is by far the most common and easy to find at Lowe's and other big box stores.

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Sorry but its not mealy bugs, I know what they are. This a dry, grainy substance. When you rub it, it drops like dust on the leaves below. Sounds like a systemic might be a good solution. Do you suppose it would rid my hibiscus of spider mites? Thank you all for the tip. I will try it.

Danville, IN

If it's dry and grainy, it might be some type of secretion from the plant itself. It doesn't sound like the secretions from scale insects which are usually sticky (lucky for you). If you rub it off and it doesn't return, I'd think you were in the clear.

Systemics will control spider mites, for sure. You can also just mist well with water daily. Spider mites hate that.

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Took a sample of my "stuff" to a local nursery for their opinion. They said mildew. I'm not sure I agree but will spray with a fungicide, just in case I'm not as smart as I think I am. I'm quite sure it isn't a bug so maybe they are correct. The mildew that I've seen other times is more talc like, this is grainy. You can't rub it all off, leaves some on the leaf and the recent growth is a bit pale. Will treat and see what happens.Thanks all.

Chadds Ford, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the advice on using Bayer All in one rose & flower care. It works on deer too (big pests in southeast Pa :)!). Now I am going to use it on my big ficus tree. That sticky sap all over the hardwood floors drives me crazy!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the information on the bayer rose systemic. I always have some around that I use on my roses, but never thought about using it for my houseplants. Thanks again. Lou

Chadds Ford, PA(Zone 6b)

Lou, would you also use it on plumerias? Mine tends to get spider mites around mid winter.
Catherine

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I think I would try it. I don't grow Plumerias , but I don't think it would hurt them. Lou

Mount Vernon, OH

There is a systemic for houseplants/containers plants for the inside. works real well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.