Why do you grow flowers (or veggies) from seed?

There are a total of 93 votes:

To Save Money
(10 votes, 10%)
Red dot

To Have More Variety
(28 votes, 30%)
Red dot

Enjoy the Challenge
(44 votes, 47%)
Red dot

I Buy Seedlings
(2 votes, 2%)
Red dot

None-O-Yer-Beeswax
(2 votes, 2%)
Red dot

To Preserve a Genetic strain
(7 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Cordova, MD

I voted that I enjoy the challenge because I like challenges...but i have a SECRET.... I have yet to grow ANYTHING by seed!!!!! Gulp!! an admission of GUILT!!!
I only really have roses and a few wonderful hydrangeas and some annuals (bought as plants).... so..... there was no other options to vote for... but I DO like challenges!!!
-JSS

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Yes, I added the Genetic strain part. :-)

The biggest reason for growing plants by seed is, for me, the feeling of security I get when I know that I am carrying a genetic line from season to season. It's a comforting feeling, and that's the reason why I only grow open pollinated plants (both flowers and veggies).

dave

Agawam, MA

I voted for the challenge. I think that there is nothing more rewarding, challenging and amazing than putting a seed in soil, nurturing it, watching it grow, and having it bear fruit.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Boy that was fast. All I did was throw out a hypothetical question and voila! it's a voting question :) (And that last option was a JOKE, by the way!!!!)

I voted for having more variety, but I could also cite the challenge and saving money as close runners-up. Once I cross into heirloom vegetables (next season), then helping preserve a genetic strain becomes important, too.

Recently, someone questioned why anyone would grow common bedding plants from seed, when they're so widely available commercially. For me, it's a "dollars and cents" issue. I can spend less than a buck on a packet of seeds and produce a flat (or two) of seedlings, which would cost me $10-$15 to buy from the nursery. The extra $$ are then available spend on a nice-size perennial or something else that's harder to grow from seed. (Notice I didn't say I *SAVE* that much money - just freed it up to spend it on other plants, LOL!)

Thanks, Dave! I think the voting booth is a pretty cool feature!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

No fair! GV used my brain to answer that! LOL Having a large family, I have to cut corners. Some that live here would say buying plants is not a necessity. :) So, I grow from seed for a large variety and it is a fun challenge but it does save tons of money. My extra money goes for diapers, kids shoes and boring old food!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I also voted for variety, but also would have voted for saving money and the challenge (in my case winter is getting very long and starting seeds about April 1 is for my sanity! I'm not sure hubby thinks it helps......) The varieties of vegetable plants available at local outlets is quite limited and not always suited for our short growing season. There is much more variety in flowers available but it does run into money.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I voted for the challenge. I just love to grow.

I don't think I save any money though, I think it actually costs me more by the time I'm done with the compost and everthing else thats put into and done to the soil, LOL :)

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey how neat is this.I voted to save money but it was a toss up between that and to have more variety.Hey Dave how about your favorite season as one sometime?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I was the one that voted none of yer beeswax...LOLOLOL>.just kidding! I voted for variety. Seed cataloges provide so much more interesting plants.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

With a few exceptions I usually start with seedlings but am finding it difficult to get many different ones locally. I have had some luck with a few seeds but still prefer cuttings. But I wanted 50 agapanthus so I started them from seed. I collected a few seeds for trade this year and have just started getting them in. Now I have to get serious about some grow lights and try to Evict DH from the den so there will be room for shelves and pots! Figure if I make it rough enough for him this year I can get a greenhouse out of him by next year! :}

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

I enjoy a good challenge, I voted for challenge. I enjoyed propagating more than growing, if that make any sense. I think that is why I'm so into Passiflora's I tried cuttings and seeds. Once they are rooted/sprouted, they are out of here on their way to someone, then I move on to the next one.

I still have Japanese Maple seeds in the fridge from last year! Hmmm that might explain where that funky odor is coming from! LOL

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8b)

It is just so satisfying to see something start with just a promise of what might be. Several years ago I planted 10 Maple seeds and today there are six very large Maple trees.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I like the variety. You don't see the variety of tomato plants locally that you can get via seed. And you can't beat the price of a packet of seeds from a catalog compared to getting the same-old same-old varieties of annual and perennial plants locally.

I voted for the genetic one as I feel its important to keep as much diversity as possible. I'm a terrible veg grower though.

I voted for the challenge but if I could have picked more than one I would also have chosen for more variety. And then I guess variety would lead to saving money because there is no way I could have had the huge garden I did this year if I bought all the plants. I recently tried propogating some plants and it did well so I'm excited about that as well. I think it is such a miracle to take this tiny little seed and watch it grow into something so beautiful or delicious...vic

This is so fun Dave....Thank You!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Ok, I voted for genetic strain, but "all of the above" would have worked. I can't say as I save a whole lot of money, but I do enjoy the challenge, and I've been saving seeds for years, so I have to do something with them! Also I have expensive tastes, adn there are varieties that I will NEVER see in this little corner of the world, so I buy or trade for seeds and have people thinking I'm pretty smart when the seeds actually grow and flower.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I voted for variety. Unless you want the common run of the mill bedding plants, you can't find 'em in nurseries. The seed catalogs offer so many to choose from. Of course I could have voted to save money, too, because if you can find anything more exotic than snapdragons and petunias, you pay dearly for them!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Well,Dave knows what I voted for without even asking!

The thought of an immigrant picking up and coming to the 'New World'to make a better life for his family is a picture that is easy for me to see. Some of these folk came with just the clothes on their backs and their precious garden seeds.The courage that it took, and the sacrifice that our forefathers went through is the reason that I grow heirloom veggies. I am honoring the memory of all those thousands of people who thought enough of those seeds to make sure that they arrived in viable condition,planted them and nurtured them for generations.

I love each variety,but especially the ones that come with a story directly from the family that grew the seeds.I feel that so much of our heritage has been lost in this 'drive through window society' that someone needs to search for these seeds and record their stories.

Some people say that the US is a melting pot. I say it is a mosaic.We have cabbages and leeks from Europe.Cucumbers and melons from the Middle East.The Americas contribute corn,potatoes and beans...with chili peppers for spice!
All the wonderful colors,tastes and textures! And each one has a story.It's really hard to get passionate about a tomato that is only known by a company's name with a number after it,when you can grow Gravel Switch Garlic,Uncle Mark's Tomato or the Adair Family stock pea.

And now I'll get down off the soap box and let someone else have a say. LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Gardenwife will tell you that we do it for the variety. I will tell you we do it to save money. Plus it's just fun.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

I was one who voted for genetic preservation.I love my heirlooms.Think they taste better too.

Muncy, PA(Zone 5a)

My vote was to save money but I do like the challenge of it all and the variety too.
The voting booth is a GREAT idea.
Thanks Dave, this is fun.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

A couple of days ago, I noticed a few changes on DG. This voting booth is one. Good. I went for Variety. I need it. Challenge goes along with it.

This message was edited Wednesday, Sep 26th 6:34 AM

Warkworth, Northumbe, United Kingdom

how many times have you looked round a garden centre and said I have better plants at home. Maybe that's why we grow from seed to grow strong healthy plants which are cared for.

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

I voted for the chalenge. The satisfaction of seeing my own plants florish is a real pick me up. I start some of them in late January because our growing season is so short. It lets this gramma play in the dirt for a longer period of time.
trailingon

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I voted for variety..but like others..it's a little bit of save money,challenge, satisfaction, and excitement. I 've always put vegetable seeds in, but just last year I started to grow a few flowers from seed. Especially rewarding are perennials. I tried growing seed under lights in the basement last winter..it was a learning experience..I was a little disappointed. I put several different seeds straight into the ground also..I'm impatient..but you know it was worth it..they rewarded me with large clumps of new flowers I had never had before.
In the basement I discovered that I need more heat..cause when I put my seedlings in the ground..they shot up like crazy..and they rewarded me with beautiful flowers. I'll try again this year with some of the new knowledge I have gleaned from this site..and I'll be asking questions along the way. Thanks to all
Cheers,
Carol

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Easy to buy a plant or seedling, but when you put a seed in soil, you watch the miracle happening before your eyes: a tiny little green thing, that slowly grow into a marvel of a flower, vegie or a huge tree! It's unfolding a mistery!!!!!
cristina

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

"All of the above, or almost" would be my answer of choice. Every year I go to the garden centers and realize that they have ordered a limited number of things and everybody will have the same things. Boring! So I like to have variety of my own choosing. It would be prohibitively expensive to offer the many different things I want, as well as impossible to predict what would sell. But the seed racks offer loads of things. Also, I think I get fewer imported pests by starting from seed. Lastly, I seem to remember the name and characteristics better once I grow it from seed.

Petaluma, CA

Just reading a Chiltern catalogue makes my day. You can get seed for almost ANY plant. And usually it's cheaper. And, what a little miracle right in your face.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.