November Daily Weather - Season Changes 3

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Bernie, can't imagine 50" of ice! Many years ago when we lived in Newport New, VA; the James River froze (or at the edges) but I have never seen ice houses except in the movie "Grumpy Old Men" Did you ever see the movie and is that what you are talking about?

Sharon, Love the sea glass. Have picked up many shells but never looked for the glass. Think I will next time I'm at the beach.

Mau, this is the first year I have not had to rake leaves. They cut most of our trees down when they cleared the lot. Only thing I have left is a big old live oak, which is kind of puny but they say it will come out. I planted another live oak and plan on planting a crepe myrtle next spring. I use to enjoy a crisp day outside with the rake sometimes.

Adina, your mums are really pretty. Had some before halloween but they are long gone. Now I have planted pansies in the pots by the front porch steps. Still haven't decided what to plant around the house. Any ideas would be great!!

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Adina, never seen a mum that color....it's beautiful.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Adina!
I especially like the Fushsia one.
Mulch them VERY heavily and they may survive the winter.

Foggy again this morning then Poof it was gone in minutes.

Temps have jumped from 37° to 43° in 15 minutes.
We should have 60° and Sunny today, tomorrow and Monday.
It's funny watching the Thanksgiving forecast vary.
TWC says 50° and Sunny.... MyCast says 47° and rain.... local stations have variations between the two.
Our 10 forecast still only has us dipping below freezing once.. and then only to 30°.
We may hit Dec w/o seeing a snow flake...
I've potted up our poor Daffs.....

The only real ice experience I've had was up in MI.
There were chunks as big as our car thrown up on the banks of Lake Erie after a huge storm.
Then we went to an Ice Carnival at Tawas... rides and everything out in the Bay.
We did talk to a guy when we were camping at Indiana Dunes near Gary.
We were standing on the beach looking over at Chicago.
He saw our car plates and had grown up right by me.
Years before for his first winter Lake Michigan had frozen from the Dunes to Chi.
They took snow mobiles across.... and were promptly arrested by the Chicago Harbor Patrol......

Off to do some more trim work and maybe install that new door.....

Giant Miscanthus
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I forgot to put in this link.
There are some cool shots!

http://www.weather.com/activities/travel/businesstraveler/slideshow/planeview.html?page=7&scheme=image-horiz-plain.css

Ric

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

I'm quite intrigued by the ice fishers here in Finland - the 'land of a thousand lakes'. They trudge out onto the ice with their augurs and backpacks, and try to sit as far apart as possible. Having drilled their hole they unfold and sit on their camping stool, and deploy their line. Most use a miniature fishing rod about a foot long; but some brave souls just wrap the line round a gloved hand. They sit in silence for hours. They bring to mind the old chestnut about the old countryman who spent a lot of time sitting on a gate. When asked what he did there he replied 'Times I sits and thinks. Times I just sits'.Occasionally they take a sip from a silver flask, which presumeably contains some form of light refreshment. After a few hours, regardless of whether they've caught anything, they trudge back to the shore, get into their cars without speaking to anyone, and drive away.

After a damp, grey week with temps just over freezing, today was gorgeous. Temperature of +8 C (46 F), sky absolutely clear, with a light SW breeze. Perfect for working in the garden. I raked up the last of the apple tree leaves; finished some pruning, and cut back the mint and the potentillas. Little left to do in the garden now except wait and hope for a good depth of snow cover. I'm told nine Christmases out of ten are white; but since we arrived it's only been one out of three.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Those Finns really sound like "Grumpy Old Men".
Here there are big parties on the ice. Sit in your shanty & play cards, drink a few beers.
Some people stay out for days at a time. Cook fish & meals in their ice houses. Some houses on big lakes are worth $20,000.00. TV's, Internet, whatever, just like home.

There are fishing contests, upwards of 10,000 people on the ice in one place. Prizes are very big. Sometimes they put a tagged fish in the lake. If somebody catches it in the tournament, it's a million dollar prize.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Bernie, sounds like alot of fun. Here they have big parties down at Two-Way Fishing Camp on the Altamaha River. A club called the River Rats meets once a month and today they are having a big trout fishing tournament. A good river party to find a reason to drink a few beers and do the "guy thing". DH is leaving to join the fun in about 30 minutes. He's been here since April and already turned into one of the "good ole boys" LOL

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Flip, thanks. I would like some irises, daylilies, hosta, salvia around the house. Some hardy Hibiscus in your garden would be great.
Ric, thanks for advice. They are usually hardy here...now you got me worried about them!LOL
Bernie, I was also thinking of Grumpy Old Men, very funny movie! But I'm scared of Ice,wouldn't go on a frozen lake, not even for a million $!LOL
George, weather seems to get warmer everywhere...or Christmas used to be white too, not anymore! We'll be lucky to have snow for the winter holidays or at least for Christmas.
Today was so warm, 60, sunny , no wind, like March weather!LOL
My other mums, much bigger than the others. we are calling those real chrysantemums.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina: gorgeous mums! I've never seen the fuchsia colored mums before, either.
Bernie: it's hard for me to imagine living where it stays cold long enough for ice to form 50" thick! BRRRR!!!
Ric: I went to the link but only saw one photo there--it was amazing! Nice miscanthus in your photo.
Patgeorge: I enjoyed the story about the Finnish version of "Grumpy Old Men"--LOL
Flip: try this link for landscaping ideas:
http://www.bhg.com/gardening/
They have garden plans here which might give you some ideas for your own flower beds.

I did get out and rake leaves for about an hour and a half earlier today. The clouds went away and the sun came out and it was very pleasant while I was raking. Friday enjoyed being outside for that long, too. I had him staked out on his long chain and he dug in the fresh dirt in my new shade bed and chased leaves and just had a good time sniffing around in the grass. :o))
Currently 62*F on my backporch--no rain as of yet.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Great chrysanthemums, Adina

We went ice fishing a few times when I was a kid. There was no shelter but we wouldn't go if it was really cold and we didn't just sit there, we walked around all over the place. Never caught anything. I guess bluegills hibernate for the winter.

The wind makes it chilly if you aren't wearing a jacket (and have lived in CA for years, I suppose).

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 11:51 AM PST on November 21, 2009
63 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 43 °F
Wind: 6 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.93 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Nice house, Flip-Flops. The raised basement make it look antebellum.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Sorry, sent a picture of our new little orchard but deleted the message LOL. This is my DH project and he is fasinated with the idea that we can grow citrus here. There are some really big trees in our neighborhood loaded with fruit. If you can see from the picture above, the first tree is a Ruby Red grapefruit, second is a Meyer's lemon, third is an orange tree, and the fourth (don't know if you can tell) is a tangerine tree. They have only been in the ground from less than a month.

(Zone 7a)

Grumpy ole Finnish men, ice fishing, sea glass...I love how conversations go around here. ^_^ All water based.

Ric, good to see your road has gotten it's final cat-scan.

39.9 °F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 40 °F
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 20 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 6500 ft
Scattered Clouds 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

I forgot to say how much I like your new home, FF!!! Gorgeous!

I forgot earlier. Time lapse of my goldfish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-4LU9ZhtVM

(Zone 5a)

It was partly cloudy, 40°F and fairly calm today.

I've been lurking, I've enjoyed all the posts and photos.

Kelli - Lotta is a scandinavian name, it's more commonly used over there than here .... it's like Lottie in english.

I got the girls a new hamster. It's a girl and they've named her Dúna (pron. Doona)...... could translate it as Downy as in soft as down (feathers) ;-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli your goldfish look unusually active for this time of year...... ;-)

Rann good for you!
She's a beauty.

patgeo how have you adapted to the climate change there.
That's a pretty radical temperature difference from England.

Mau (and all) at the bottom of that picture there's prev and next links.
There are 25 pictures in all.

Adina Mums are definitely hardy there.
The main problem people have is they buy them late in the year, usually Fall.
Then they just plant them.
The plants usually just start putting down roots then they get frozen out.
The tender new roots just can't take the cold.
We've found it better to wait till the plants go dormant and put them in then.
Or we plant the Mums in ground IN their pots.
Then mulch heavily. Come Spring and new growth then plant them for real.
If they have the whole Summer to root they do just fine.
We hardy ever loose them now.

Flip that property just keeps looking better w/ each shot!

Well looks like Ohio State will be in Pasadena Jan 1st for the Rose Bowl.
Hmmmmm 145 dollars a seat ......we probably will watch from home.
Gold mine for Pasadena this year as they get the Championshio Game too!
Man only $290 for those seats....lol!

43° here now dropping to 36° by morning.
Ric

(Zone 3b)

12*F
Sunrise: 9:25
Sunset: 3:59
Isolated snow showers in the morning.
Highs in the lower to mid 20s.
North to east wind 10 to 15 mph.
rann~the new hamster is beautiful; had no idea one could be so pretty; her name sounds great, too.
kwanjin~that is one happy kitty; cute pic.
adina~the mums are gorgeous.
Marsue~raking leaves int eh middle of winter does not compute:))
patgeorge~the method of ice fishing there, is mostly how it's done here, too. We ususally park next to the hole/holes for a windbreak. Trout and Land-locked salmon are the ususal catch.
fFlop~your new home is gorgeous-the Palm is going to be so nice.
henryr10~the street is looking good and close to being finished. Bet your bird houses and yard art are very nice.
April 1st; 2003. Parked on the ice, getting ready to drill/ice fish.

Thumbnail by kiska
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

70 degrees
Light rain/T-storms
Humidity 84%
Visibility 10 mi
Wind ENE 14 mph
High 72
Low59
Chance of Precip 85%

Thanks everyone for the compliments on our new home. Much much work to be done on the outside flower beds and it will be fun as long as I can keep away from the nasty fireants LOL My feet still have bite marks from last summer!! I look out for them now and put stuff down when I see a mound. It works pretty good.

Kiska, I can't imagine driving on ice......I have never been somewhere that cold. I think it would be fun.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Intentionally driving on ice IS fun.
Surprise ice.... not so much.... lol!
We've been out on ice boats and icemobiles it's a BLAST!

Just got down from the GH.
It's Currently 53° outside.
73° in there. No heater...I'm happy!

Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

55º and mostly cloudy. I hung a load of clothes on the line almost before the sun was up and they got sprinkled on twice. The weather radio didn't say anything, but mostly cloudy and a high near 60º. We hung Christmas lights yesterday and I set a few ''not so Christmas'' ornaments out today.

FlipFlops, beautiful house!

Adina, gorgeous mums!

Rann, the hamster was a good idea! She's adorable!

Sorry to not comment on everything :O(

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The lake we grew up by was big. Average a mile wide, 10 miles long. Some years it would freeze very smooth with no snow on it. So you would get going 40 or 50 MPH & throw it into a spin. Round & round & round you would go.
By buddies mom's car was a 1947 Plymouth. We were doing the spin thing at night, when all of a sudden, POW! We broadsided a fish house. Good thing it was empty.

Oh, the fun of youth!

Sheetrocking today. Should be done by night. We are taking time out now to eat & watch the Vikings demolish somebody.

Bernie

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Frost o/n. Day just above freezing. Started clear, but soon clouded over.

Henry10. Yes, quite a difference. However Finns visiting England all comment on how cold the houses are! The English never believe it will get cold in winter. I don't find the temperatures much of a problem, given the right clothes, well insulated houses, and cars with powerful heaters. From a gardening point of view it's the short growing season which is the problem. First air frost around the last week in August. Last about first or second week in June. The long summer day also affects plants subject to photoperiodism.

Country Gardens: In winter 'ice roads' open across some of the lakes in the east; and even heavy lorries use some of them. There are also races and time trials. I've not driven on lakes; but last winter my car did a graceful about turn on a snow covered road, and I finished up in a ditch.

Marsue, what's a lasagne bed? Reminds me of a spoof the BBC ran a few years back for April Fool's Day. They put an item in the news that an late frost in Italy had damaged the spaghetti trees; and as a consequence there would be a world-wide shortage of spaghetti. They even had pictures of young ladies harvesting the spaghetti!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie and Patgeorge, ROTFL!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

me too, ROTFLOL, at you guys! :o)))))))

patgeorge: check out this link for lasagna gardening:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/go/524/

You can view my lasagna bed in my garden diary
here on DG. It is the one entitled: "Hummingbird and butterfly garden along back fence"

Kiska: LOL at "raking leaves in the middle of winter does not compute!" Ha, ha. It hardly seems like the middle of winter around here because we are having and have had an unseasonably warm fall into winter. The plants around here are really confused. Today has been an absolutely gorgeous day with ample sunshine and highs in the 60'sF.
Rann: I'm so glad you were able to get the girls another hamster. I like her name, too. "Downy"--that's nice. :o))

As I said, another lovely day here. Friday and I have been outside a lot today. He played with my next-door neighbor's dog--a little pekingese--they were like two kids fighting over the same toy--a tennis ball! LOL

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Flip – Your house is gorgeous and huge! Love it!
Ric – nice fog picture
Mau – I can’t get an id on either of the phals. I’ve posted pictures several times on the orchid forum with no luck. I haven’t given up tho!
Adina – Your mums are so pretty!
Flip – I wonder if brugmansia’s will grow in your zone. What zone are you? I am 9a.
Celia- Monty is doing his pilates!
Rann- I love Duna, she is so pretty! Keeping you and the girls in our prayers. Sending hugs your way.
Bernie and PG – LOL!!

Seems like it is going to be a warmer than normal Thanksgiving here. We've been in the upper 70's all weekend, should be in the mid to low 60's. Supposed to get rain this evening, but that isn't happening either! The rain went north and south of us. Oh well...such is life!

Sea Oats. It's illegal to pick them as they help keep the beach erosion down.

This message was edited Nov 22, 2009 6:18 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments .... the girls are very happy with her :-) We all agree that she's the prettiest hamster we've seen ..... ;-)

Cold wind today, not sure what the temp was, probably in the 30's. Cloudy. It's also been a very mild fall here ...... winter's coming next week according to the forecast.

Too depressed to comment ........ seems I can't stop crying these days.

Rann

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Sharon, I think I am in the same zone as you. I thought about brugmansias too. There are some really big ones around here. Do you have any in your yard? Looks like we are going to have a warm Thanksgiving too. It rained today (we needed some) and the temp. actually got up to 75 when I was going to the grocery store on Hwy 17. I live right off Hwy 17 and I can see St. Simons Island when I walk over to the next street, which is on the marsh.

Here's a couple of guys that sit on the landing of my back steps that go up to the screened porch. Bet they enjoyed the rain today LOL

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great pictures everyone. I sure miss the flowers and thanks all for posting pics of yours. The seed catalogs are starting to arrive so my wish list has been started.

It's been fairly nice the last few days. Today's high was +4ºC or 39ºF and the low tonight will be -4ºC or 25ºF. We have another Chinook forecasted so it may get up to +14ºC or 57ºF Wed &Thur.

Sunrise 8:04AM
Sunset 4:39PM

Daylight hours is now 8 hrs 34 min

Here's our Garden Club booth at the craft sale. We had a mix of stuff and everyone had fun.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Joannabanana, that's a great display. Looks like it was a lot of fun and some neat stuff!!!

(Zone 7a)

It's snowing!!! We got 2" in about an hour.

31.8 °F
Light Snow Mist (I don't know what the heck this is.)
Windchill: 32 °F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 29 °F
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.14 in (Falling)
Visibility: 2.5 miles
Clouds: Few 500 ft
Overcast 1600 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I hope this turns out. It's Crystal baby!!! It should the head on the right, arms to the side of the head and little footies on the left. "He" was dancing when the pic was taken.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well OK Celia that's the first uncute baby picture I've seen...lol!
BEAUTIFUL that there is a shot though!!!
Tell Crystal we're all rooting for her/them!

Bernie you were right the Vikings surely did open a can of WhoopA.

We worked outside all day.
I trimmed back a bunch of dead plants AND.....
from the base of about every perennial...there is new growth.
Blossoms on Mums, Impatients, Nicotiana........
I was raking too! lol!

Mandevillas are blooming nicely in the new GH.
All the EE's are still going strong.
Cut back ferns are all sprouting.
Hibiscus are all showing new growth after the hacking that Adina advised....lol!

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Yeah, I thought I should have posted it on the Halloween pic thread! LOL Kinda scary but cute anyway. ^_^

27.3 °F with 40º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 27 °F
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 22 °F
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.40 in (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like Dave's was down for a while.

Celia that's a cold looking shot! lol!
We're still seeing temps in the 50's all week..
Maybe 60 tomorrow...
I do see a possible for freezing rain mix overnight on Thanksgiving...

Ric

(Zone 7a)

A question...should I clean the snow off the GH?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well the snow load won't help it but if it's going to remain very cloudy for a while it will act as an insulator.
If more snow is forcast I'd brush it off if you think weight is a problem.
Light clouds you still get heat gain from the sun so......
Sorry I'm not more helpful....LOL!

Ric

(Zone 7a)

The sun came out as I was typing and the snow is sliding off so it's moot now. LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rann, dear--big hugs to you and the girls! As I said before, a divorce is the death of a marriage so it is only natural that you will experience the same type of emotions that someone experiences whose spouse has died. After all you have lost a spouse--just in a different way. Please feel free to dmail me any time you need to talk or just to vent.
Flip--if frogs can be cute, your porch frogs are cute! LOL
Joanna: did your display at the craft show attract any potential members for your garden club?
Celia: aren't the ultra-sound "photos" amazing. Your g-baby does indeed appear to be "dancing". :o)) Your snow pic looks like it could be one of Kiska's.
Ric: I'm glad it was Dave's fault and not the fault of my computer. LOL Had me scared for a while! All of my perennials are showing new growth at the bottom, too. I covered most of them with leaves when I was out raking this week-end. Yesterday I started 7 hydrangeas in my new shade garden--hope they take root and survive the winter. It was/is an experiment on my part to see what happens.

Cloudy and gray here today. Our high will be in the low 60's-getting cooler every day with a frost or maybe a freeze expected later this week. I suppose this means that our unseasonably warm weather is coming to an end. :o(( That means the heating bill will be going up next month.

Have a good day, everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.