Hard to find a wandering jew?

Mount Vernon, OH

I am having a hard time trying to find a purple wandering jew houseplant. Not the zebrina with the silver or green stripes, though I got some and I love it and I know there is a few varities out there of the zebrina that i would love to have. But the one that is mainly a deep purple. Anyone have any ideas where maybe I could buy one? I live in a smalll town and checked the places that might have it but no success. Even went to some bigger cities with no success.
Thanks for the help!

(Zone 1)

tishrh: I got your d-mail asking about wandering jew for trade and also saw your post here about wanting this plant, so I thought I'd answer here.

The only wandering jew I have is the one with the stripes, Tradescantia zebrina.

Tradescantia pallida (commonly called "Purple Heart") is the one that doesn't have stripes: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/186408/

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=images+of+tradescantia+purple+heart&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=OboCS-iLNYaBnQfE4p12&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBAQsAQwAA

Hopefully someone will have this variety available to share with you!

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Tish,

I have some of that but had no idea it was also a Wondering Jew. Mine is nowhere near ready to share, I just got some cuttings from an absolute stranger just a few weeks ago. I commented on how deep the purple coloring was and she gave me a few pieces. I think she called it Purple Heart.

If you don't get any before mine is ready to share. I will be happy to send you some then..

On the bright side, the Zebrina I sent you is purple on the back side of the leaves. ; ).. I know that is not what you are looking for and hopefully you will get some soon.

Tracey

Mount Vernon, OH

No it isn't the purple heart, the leaves are too long. The one I want is a zebrina but it is all purple. There is different colored striped ones.
Daisylovn- your zebrina is just fine. I wanted that variety too. Thank you so much!
Blessings,
Tish

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

We have sold the plant you want at our store. Unfortunately, we won't be placing any orders for houseplants until the weather warms up (we are a hardware store). But if you aren't successful and still want one, contact me come early spring.

mamasita,

What is the name of the cultivar? I'm now interested in it as I have never seen this cultivar before...

I went out to get my order forms and they do not have the cultivar listed, just describing it as Purple Wandering Jew. Every time we get them in, they sell out. If I find out, I will let you know. We get them from Canada.

Mount Vernon, OH

Mamasita, Thank you so much! I cannot believe how hard it is to find. I even scoured the internet. The zebrina quadicolor and zebrina silver one is also hard to find. They are so pretty.

Beebe, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't know if it helps and I apoligize for butting in but Glasshouse Works as a
Zebrina pendula 'Purpusii' it is described as deep purple with silver stripes. It is on their website and I think it was 3.25. Hope it helped.----------G

Tishrh,

Is this what you are looking for? tradescantia pallida purpurea

I will post a pic but not sure how large it will be.. The link should take you to the larger version if necessary....

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1190809773033744056vRmUCG

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009 5:13 PM

Thumbnail by daisylovn

That looks like the purple passion plant to me. We currently have the Wandering Jew plant with silver and dark top foliage and purple underneath. The truer purple ones are quite impressive, but as I said before, I don't expect we'll order any until things warm up more.

It may be, mamasita. I was googling and it came up as tradescantia pallida purpurea.. It may have been misplaced, but since she is having such a hard time finding it, I thought it was worth a shot..

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009 5:50 PM

Hmm, I looked up "Purple Passion" and got this...

Though there may be a number of plants that go by the common name Purple Passion.

Thumbnail by daisylovn

You are absolutely correct with that plant being Purple Passion (gynura aurantiaca) - I truly misspoke. The other is commonly known as Purple Heart (tradescantia pallida), and has lance-shaped leaves with pink flowers. I have the feeling the plant in question is Zebrina pendula - "Purposii"has dark red or red-green leaves while "Quadricolor" has silvery leaves striped with green, red and white.

They are all in the spiderwort family. Sorry for any confusion!

No worries ; ), I dont' know what all this stuff is. I'm learning as I go... : )

(Zone 1)

Yes, that is a Tradescantia in Daisy's photo, a really pretty one! And it looks like a gorgeous Coleus in the photo too.

Here's the link to Plant Files entry for Gyurna "Purple Passion": http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55063/

and a beautiful variegated form! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/154187/

Mount Vernon, OH

This link doesn't have the purple on purple wandering jew but it does have some varities. The purple heart is listed so you can see the difference.
The top picture is the one I have. If anyone has any other varities and want to trade or something dmail me. I currently am getting the zebrina red variety which I am excited about. If it does fine and I get it going I will offer it on here.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/houseplant/tradescantia/

Blackshear, GA

tish,
I have these, which are probably the zebrina, but they have alot of purple. They look lighter than they are because of the flash.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

and this one

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Mount Vernon, OH

GAgirl1066- I sent you a dmail. Those are both gorgeous colors.

(Zone 1)

I have the regular T. zebrina but it gets very dark in color when planted in deep shade.

Tishrh, I have not found just a purple one yet but I did find this one and like the leaves. ---

Tradescantia fluminensis.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2009 9:55 AM

Thumbnail by daisylovn
Mount Vernon, OH

Oh, pretty! I like that one too. Lol. I got my red one in the mail. It is a small rooted plant. But I will see if I can get a pic of the leaves.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

tomorrow I will take a picture of my wondering jew and if that is what you what I will sent some to you. I have a lot of it. I will start in water very easily. I will start if it you prefer to have one rooted. I may have one out by my tool shed that is planted. If that's the one I would love to send it to you. Elaine

Oooh!! I can't wait to see it. I sure hope you have the one Tishrh is looking for, as I'm dying to see what it looks like.

Mount Vernon, OH

here is my new little red wandering jew.

Thumbnail by tishrh

Interesting. I have never seen that one before..

Mount Vernon, OH

I can't wait to see it as a huge plant.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I hope I'm not wrong but I suspect that color is caused by a stress related issue whether it be lighting or water... I will look forward to seeing it develop.

I suggest that as I have seen this same thing in another tradescantia plant I have. This photo of Tradescantia sillamontana shows the new growth as green, the older leaves had a reddish tone and although the red leaves look dead, they were lush and succulent.

Please keep us posted.

Thumbnail by podster
zone 6a, KY

Is this it?

Thumbnail by 3jsmom31
Mount Vernon, OH

that looks like it from what I can tell. (pictures are so hard) It doesn't have any green or silver when in full color does it?

This message was edited Nov 29, 2009 12:43 PM

zone 6a, KY

Sure. Do you mind cuttings or do you want plants? (I'll root some today if you want plants)

Mount Vernon, OH

no cuttings are fine. Do i have anything you would like? Or postage? You can dmail me if you like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.