New bees Seed Junkie chit chat Come in!! 11-12-09

Well, mine does the back stroke sometimes when it rains till the pot overflows and keeps on for weeks at a time and it is full of blooms all winter. Mine sit in a water catcher under the pot and stays wet. This year I don't think it went a day without water. Some of it rotted off with so much water.

Mount Vernon, OH

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! I am really not sure where to start around here. lol.
Tish:o)

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Well you started in the right place LOL What I did was check out each forum that covered plants that I like then checked out the ones that struck my fancy after that. There's no rush you know you have plenty of time to check the site out. If you need help finding something just hollar here someone will know the answer.

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Tish,
Be sure and do the free seed for newbies, its great. In case you did not see the link in the first post of this thread here it is again:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

They send you some great stuff.

Mickey

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Anyone ready to play in the snow yet????

Thumbnail by Mindy03
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

That is so cute Mindy is it a tree decoration?

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Most people put them on their trees. Some use them for package decorations. It's actually a pattern adapted from one made with yarn for a wall hanging decoration. I've also used the original pattern to make an afghan with them on it. Took 12 of them and they each had a different color hat.and scarf. Don't have a picture of the afghan didn't have my camera back then and lady who has it I doubt she has anyway to send me a picture of it.

Madison, MS

Hi,

I'm Newbie--Arejay59 invited me over for a visit and I have already gained 10lbs. I want try every recipe listed they all sound so good. I think I'll try the Lasagna Bed.

When do you start seeds for planting in the spring? I'm so excited about starting plants to grow in my garden, I want to start now but I'm not sure if it is the right time. Help

Cedarcottage

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Hi cedar.. Welcome to Daves... come visit with us any time...Trish

Hi Cedar

Welcome! Always glad to have new gardners!

I usually start seeds in Feb for veggies. Earlier for tomatoes. The seed packets will say 4-6 weeks before the last frost. Flowers you can start anytime if you have grow lights or a warm sunny window or better yet a GH (greenhouse). You just keep them in pots until you're ready to transplant. Annuals to plant in beds? I usually wait until Jan. We're kinda crazy here we plant stuff all the time. LOL

What kind of goodies are you planning to plant?

Hi newbie, If there is anything in particular you are looking for tell us and someone here might have some to share with ya. Welcome aboard.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi cedar! Glad to see you made it here! Good to have you ;-)

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey does anyone happen to have the Newbie Dmail letter? I can't find mine since everything on my computer got moved. Thanks ☺

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi Cedar, glad to have you come to our little group.

Hope everyone had a good day!
Mickey

Orlando, FL

hi all,long time no chat

welcome tish and cedar,

well i have been busy, i see you all talking about christmas cactussssss, are they easy to start, i will get some from the nursery i go to they have all colors if i remeber correctlyl.
(that is not say much, my memory is sooooo bad)

well gotta go to bed didnt sleep very well last night
killed me at work all i wanted to do was take a nap all day

hey jan, looking forward to the auction in dec. let me know what you need i will help ya
oh i may be up your way sorta in dec. if my hubby, gets this job tomorrow everyone please pray he gets it so he can go to NC and I can have my peace lol only kidding, i may miss him a little, or may just get use to him being gone hmmm i will have more time for plants and friends lol
blondie

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey Mickey! How r u? Are your plants doing good?

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey blondie, my MM Taro has little baby nubbies on it ;-)

Orlando, FL

oh mechelle i am soooo glad, my spider lilies are growing sooooo fast i cant believe it.
now they need to bloom and i will be really happy lol
hey seray, i got some bromeliads i will have to take a picture, they are green and white stripes i guess you would say, with a deep pinkish red center oh it is so pretty, my moms neighbor had them and she gave me some will take pictures tomorrow
blondie

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I hope they do blondie! I have gadzillions of those all over the yard! Just green right now, but wait t il you see all the babies you'll get from them. I still have you in my book as owing you a Turks Cap, and EE's .. Turks Cap still rooting ;-)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Evening everyone... Been planting bulbs and such all dang day...

Hi Cedar - welcome to the funny farm. Hope you stick around - we're lotsa fun!

Mechelle - Isabella has little roots and a couple teeny tiny leaves already!! Spider Lilys are nice and green.

mekos - mailing your package in the morning. Lemme know when you get it. I forgot about the Hawaiian Air Plant though. Anyone know anything about this plant? Once I figure it out mekos I'll send you some...

Gotta give the kiddos a bath - be back later if you all are still up - lol.

loca (Kelly)

Hi Blondie

Glad you can play. Love to see your Bromeliads. I think I have some like you describe. Very nice and can get very big.

Here's one for my Goth garden. Called Mocha mint.

Thumbnail by

Hey you guys, this is a carolina snail seed vine. Mine has bunches of red berries if anyone wants to plant some. It grows really tall and has cute leaves and lots of red berries which are the seeds. I pulled some berries so if anyone wants some better speak now or just don't. It is cute though. It will climb up trees or a fence or what ever you put it on. I have it growing up at the cabin at the river so it gets cold there like zone 6 and is hardy there.

Thumbnail by mekos
Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Mechelle you have mail.

Well I guess no body wants to talk to me so I'm going to bed, pouting too. (just kidding, ) but I am turning in so good night everyone. Talk to yas tomorrow.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Good morning ladies! miss me?

sorry I have not been around, i caught that lasted swine flu... a rather nasty case of it that left me bed ridden for awhile, but am feeling a bit better these days. Hope everyone is doing well.

Im so lost now that I have been outta the loop, so please feel free to fill me in on the latest happenings and such.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Cue...I am so glad to see you. Are you better everyone has been busy and in and out so much going on it will take you weeks to catch up. I am so glad you are back Cue...Thanksgiving here we have been talking food and Charlie has become like a mascot and babies have been born ans Seray well she is in a bit of everything ..lasagna gardens are filling the country. Black Goth Gardens obviously in honor of our favorite Goth Girl are scattered throughout the country at this point....
Did I say I was so glad to see you???

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice to see you're back and feeling better my darker half - lol. You know what they say - you can't keep a good woman down!

Did your son get sick too or just you? It sucks to be sick in bed! Glad you're back. Like Robin said, you got a lot of catching up to do - lol...

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Moring e1!
Glad t see you are feeling better Cue. Welcome back!
I guess I may have been wrong about the weather. Looks like rain. Forecasters say no but carry an umbrella. Sitting here drinking coffee trying to figure out what I'm going to do today. I think I have packages coming today >:-) and have some to send out too. Have a good day e1 and ttyl

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Good morning all... Raining here today.. ughhh hope it stops later so I can get outside and play..I have a little more winter mulching to do and lots of leaves left on the ground even after many hours of raking already...But its such good exercise and a nice excuse to play outside...

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

GM all! Whew, what a weekend. I swear I do more work on the weekends than I do during the so-called work week. LOL Glad to see back and feeling better Cue. It is so nice to hear e1 talking about things blooming, as nothing has been blooming here for quite some time. Chilly today at about 34 degrees, but nice for us, as there isn't any snow and it is above freezing at least. Thought that I had Thanksgiving dinner figured out, but now with all these recipes to play with, just not sure! LOL Maybe I'll just try all of them between now and Thanksgiving, and then pick the faves and do them again. Gotta love food!
Kelly, you going to California in December? How do you like your phone?

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

HI Cue glad you popped in for a bit. Hope to see you pop in again when that package I sent out gets there.

Skellogg how nice to see you back hope that means you are back more often. Beware that Peanut Butter Cocoa Fudge it's really really rich so much so I call it Sugar Shocker Fudge much to DH's dismay GRIN. I refuse to eat more than one teeny tiny piece of that one.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Don't know if I've ever eaten just one tiny piece of fudge! Not sure that's possible for me! LOL

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love fudge - especially peanut butter - but I suck at making it. I can cook pretty much anything, but have trouble with fudge... Go figure...

sk - nope - we're not going to Anaheim... Can't really afford the trip with the holidays and all... Are you going?

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi Everyone, I hope you are all having a good day.

Mechelle, My plants so far are doing ok, I am having trouble getting the hydrengia to root, do i need to get some root growth hormone or something?

I am trying to start some of LazLo's holy basil in starter pots but it is not coming up too well. One pot is full and the others are not sprouting at all. I also am trying to start some crepe myrtle seed and it is not sprouting either, they have been in pots for 3 weeks. Anyone have any recommendations?

I have never started things indoors before so this is new to me.

Mickey

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Mickey, yes you should dip in root hormone . They sell it at WalMart pretty cheap. It takes about a month for Hydrangea to root. You have to fight off the urge to check it a lot, lol. Are you bottom watering and using grow lights with your seeds? In summer months may not be so hard, but in winter you defintely need grow light and/or heat mat. They sell lights at WalMart too for around $10. Heat mats are a little more. Also, you might want to ask around but I think the crepe seeds need 1/4 inch below the soil to germinate.

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Thank you Mechelle, I really appreciate the information. yes on both counts of bottom watering seeds and using a heat mat, they are in a sunny window as far as the light goes. I will have to go to wally world for some root hormone. I really am happy to be getting back into growing things. It has been 10 years since I was able to do this type of thing because of my disability due to my back being so bad. This gastric bypass surgery has been a God send. I have gone from a 6x down to a 3x in size and lost 65 pounds so far and it has really made a world of difference. I was able to do my laundry by myself for the first time this week. I have become thankful for the strangest things. I had to tighten the laces on my shoes the other day and I just sat there and laughed.

Anyway, thank you all for all your encouragement.
I love this forum and will continue to talk here and get to know people better.

What are all your plans for Thanksgiving? For me it is a special holiday as it is the day my husband proposed to me. It was during the Macy's Parade and I remember the snoopy balloon was on the screen. Dave asked me if I wanted some cracker jacks and I took them and was eating along when I came to the prize, and of course it was a beautiful ring. When I finally came to my senses there was Dave on his knees in front of me and asked me to marry him. That was in 1994 and we were married July 12 1995. This year it will be a family celebration at my sister's house.

Mickey

Mickey, That is so sweet. I hope you continue to do well with your weight loss. That is amazing how far you have come and how well you are doing. Your health is really something wonderful to be thankful for. Bless you.

Orlando, FL

hi all
hey seray i like that bromeliad that is cool looking, i took a picture of mine but my battery in my camera went dead and i cant copy it to the disc lol as sooon as it is ready i will show you i love the colors
blondie

Orlando, FL

here it is kinda blurry dont know why must be too close at the setting and it is starting to get dark

Thumbnail by blondhavmofun

I got a purple one you guys.

Thumbnail by mekos

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.