Lasagna Bed for newbies here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Jan's Seed Auction here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036526/#new

The high priestess and her Loyal followers Brug sprout off contest
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037643/

Thumbnail by arejay59
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning how is everyone? What are you doing for the holidays...recipes anyone use special ones they want to share?

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

HI Robin
LOL I'm busy making gifts right now don't know if I'll have time for baking though I'm in the notion to make cookies. Always try out at least 2 new recipes each year haven't done that yet this year I'm behind.
DH on the other hand always makes his friends fudge and no bake choclate cookies. Coca Peanut Butter Fudge, Strawberry Dreamsicile Fudge, Peanut Butter Fudge and his best friend's newest favorite Peppermint Candy Fudge.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

GM E1
I have only plans for Thanksgiving right now. Having a big dinner at my DS and DILs Thats it so far.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

GM e1, Having Thanksgiving at my house this year.

It's a gorgeous day today.. going to be outside "playing" today

HAGD e1

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Found you! Good morning everyone! Hope you have a grand day! Forecast is 82° for today and cooler for the weekend! Still above average temps but pretty nice considering it's November...

Cooking at my house for Thanksgiving. Not sure about Christmas yet. I have a really good Green Bean Casserole recipe - not the normal one you find on the fried onion can - lol. I'll find it and post it. It's real good!!

And a goody good morning to all. No winds today or rain so it's a great day already. The sun is out and I'm loving it. I'm cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year and got some sneaky ideas going for christmas surprises. Can't wait. Hope all is well with all you peeps. Seed swap is going good, should have lots to share before long. Have a great day everyone.

Morning All

Love to see your recipe Loca. Not ready for Thanksgiving at all. Still cleaning house. Family has other plans this year! YEAH! :) Just the two of us. Should I go ahead and cook like there were 20 people like I usually do or order something from Honeybaked Ham? LOL My DH likes coconut cake and boiled custard. Homemade.

Love to know what you're planning to cook or eat?

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Seray Well our Thanksgiving menu doesn't change much since it's just the two of us now. Turkey which hubby tends to, mashed poatoes also his job, rolls which I make though sometimes he buys them, then I'll add whatever veggies that someone has given us this year green beans canned by my sister, corn on the cob from my friend. Desserts are the only things that change this year he wants pumpkin pie and I'm considering lemon pie for myself though that could change to banana snack cake or maybe both LOL since I do all of the desserts

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

coconut cake and boiled custard,Coca Peanut Butter Fudge, Strawberry Dreamsicile Fudge, a new green bean casserole are you posting recipes???
Coconut cake and boiled custard... just make that like you are cooking for twenty and indulge....
Order the ham and save it for the next day...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here's the recipe I use that I found last year. It's Paula Deen's version. Very good with or without the cheese. Personally I like it better without the cheese... I didn't make the house seasoning per se - just used the ingredients to taste. You can pretty much add any seasonings you like! It's very good. We had a lot of people last year and I think I tripled the recipe and there were no leftovers:o(

Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients

1/3 stick butter
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups sliced fresh green beans
3 cups chicken broth
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
Pinch House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 cup grated Cheddar (optional)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes and drain. Add the green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings, and House Seasoning, to taste, to the onion mixture. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until the casserole is hot. If using cheese, top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Thanks Loca. Sounds good. Maybe I'll just go to Paula's for dinner. She's about 30 minutes away. Wouldn't have to cook then. Anybody want to join me? Except for the cake and custard you'd have to come to my house for those. The flavoring for the custard is traditional Kentuckian. :) We could scramble our words and you'd have to stay all night. LOL

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sounds good! Tell her to make the Green Bean Casserole and the turkey with all the trimmings and then we'll hit your place for dessert - lol!!

We won't have to tell her. She's a southern kinda gal. Same thing every year.

Turkey, oyster dressing,(we're in seafood country) green bean casserole, squash, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, some type of salad with marshmallows, fresh corn off the cob, collards with bacon and fresh baked rolls. Pecan pie, coconut cake, boiled custard flavored with KY bourbon.

Shall I hire a bus to drive us to my house. If we eat there we won't be able to walk. LOL

OH MAN, I hurt already. I ate too much just reading this.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

OK Robin here's the two you asked for

Strawberry Creamsicicle Fudge

3 cups sugar
2/3 cup cream or evaporated milk (cream makes it smoother)
3/4 cup butter
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creame
12 ounce package white chocolate chips
3 teaspoons extract of your choice (strawberry, orange, banana etc)
Food coloring to match extract (red for strawberry, orange for orange, yellow for banana)

Combine sugar, cream or evaporated milk and butter in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook to 240* on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat, stir in marshmallow creame and white chocolate chips. Add extract and food colorinig. Pour into a buttered pan (13x9x2 or 9x9) Chill for one hour and then cut into squares.
Yield 3 pounds

I had the name wrong on this one but here it is

Peanut Butter Cocoa Fudge

1 cup plus 3 tablespoons chunky peanut butter (smooth works too)
1 cup butter (no substitutes) (hubby substitutes if I don't have butter on hand LOL)
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

In a heavy saucepan, combine peanut butter and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until blended. Remove from heat; stir in confectioners sugar, cocoa and vanilla extract. Spread into a buttered 8 inch square pan. Freeze for 30 minutes or just until firm before cutting into squares. Store at room temperature.
Yield about 2 pounds

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

lol - we might need a bus, especially if Mindy comes and brings all that fudge too...

That sounds good Mindy! Make sure he has butter. LOL

OK, I say we meet at Seray's for Thanksgiving dinner and Mindy is bringing all the deserts. Anyone else up for it?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'm in - see you all there...

I'll vacuum right before you come. LOL

Orlando, FL

hi all, man new goody recipes for work sounds delicious,
i just made today this bar called the Princess bar, now i make it for the students and they love it i only have the recipe for large amount to blond to lower it

5lbs of yellow cake mix
1lb of walnuts chopped
1lb of coconut
1lb of butter(softened)

mix ingredients together by hand until well blended., take 5lbs of the mix and place in a cookie sheet(with parchment paper and sprayed with pan spray) place another piece on top and use a rolling pin to press. use strawberry or cherrie pie filling (i forgot the amount of that) on top of the crust, sprinkle the rest of the mix on top to cover bake at i am not sure on a reg oven but a convection oven it is 300 degrees for 22-26 min. cool. cut
mmmmmmm gooooodd
blondie

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone, I found the new thread. Sorry I did not post this morning, I had a really busy day and am just now getting online. Hope everyone had a great day!!

Mickey

Hi Mickey, it sure has been a little quiet around here. I guess everyone else is tired too. With all the sun today it was finally ok to go out and do a little outside.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Loca- That gb casserole sounds yummy, I am going to try it this year. My SIL is making the turkey, at her house and I will make my delicious "Sausage Apple Stuffing" I will find the recipe and post it for you guys. I think it is a Campbell's recipe. Do you guys do Campbell's online? I love their recipes. Anyway, also will do mashed potatoes, brown gravy, Loca's gb casserole and I really want to learn to make Divinity. I love that stuff and have never made it. I made Pies from scratch a few years ago but I think I am going to make Mindy's Apple Dumplings and maybe some of her Strawberry Fudge. That sounds too good to pass up!
Mindy, your mom did you guys right teaching you how to cook and can and make afghans and all that. My Grandma G'G' taught me how to embroider and sew when I was younger and I used to make dishtowels and pillows for family members and such. My mother in law taught me how to use a sewing machine, and my SIL has promised to teach me how to can. I have all these awesome veggie seeds and I'm going to put them to good use. I really want to make Spaghetti sauce.
The only thing I can say my mom really taught me was my spelling and handwriting. Oh and my love for animals. She did try to teach me to crochet but I think I got bored with it, lol. She used to make me practice my lower case and upper case alphabet in print and cursive when I was in kindergarten every single day after school. It did pay off though. It's funny I have done the same with my kids. They all have good handwriting and spelling, I just never made them practice as much as I did. They had too much dang homework, even for Kindergarten. I was pretty much a latch key kid and very independent so I didn't really hang out with my mom too much. I used to hang out with my dad, watching him work on cars. To this day if you lift a hood of a car I can tell you what every part is. His dad, my grandpa taught him to work on cars. Those were the good old days.

I played cowgirl today ;-) Drove an hour & 1/2 each way to go trim a couple of horses for these people that just moved to TN from MA. They had that cute Boston accent. They were super nice and he wanted to steal my license plates on my Mustang ! They say "GITTYUP" , lol. Their horses were beautiful. I don't think I ever met a horse I didn't love ;-)

Ok, shutting up now.. Have a good night everyone and c u tmarra .. fuggettabouditt.. lol

Has anyone heard from Shirley and Tubby? Hate to see one of us not doing good.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

LOL I hate to tell you all this but hubby makes all the fudge around here. The only one I can make is the Dreamicicle one. You can play around with that one to make it taste however you want it. I've made it using butterscotch chip and vanilla, butter and nut flavoring which was a big hit with my friends. It's oringinally the orange flavor but hubby's friends are crazy about the strawberry so that's what he makes. Wonder how cherry flavoring and chocolate chips would be GRIN Or maybe raspberry and chocolate.......or use your imagination LOL

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

(((hugs))) Mekos.. what did you get done today, hmm hmm?

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

LOL Mechelle mom is probably laughing her head off in heaven right now if she read over my shoulder. She did try to teach me to cook basic foods but she wasn't much into cooking burnt supper was normal if sister Betty didn't rescue it. My cooking skills are from reading cookbooks. As for canning, well after so many years of doing it as her brood went out on their own she didn't do much of it when I got big enough so all I learnt was how to wash the jars and break beans and I still can't can alot of stuff but mil taught me how to make blackberry jelly the oldfashion way and I also know how to can sausage in jars. AS for the crocheting, well mom didn't do it daddy did LOL. He came from an even larger family and his parents made them all learn how to do everything that was needed to survive and during the winters they all had to make rugs, gloves hats etc. But he didn't teach me either I learnt the chain and single crochet from our postmaster's wife and a friend of my sister Nancy taught me double crochet and they say the rest was history LOL. Mom did make quilts but I happen to hate sewing with a passion LOL. I know how but don't like doing it.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL, thats funny Mindy! I hate to hand sew, too. Hey everyone in our lifetime leaves their mark and makes us who we are in one way or another. Learn when you can and teach when you can. When I learned how to use the sewing machine, man I was at the fabric store every other stinking day buying fabric and thread and all the good stuff that goes with it. I made the girls some really cute flannel PJ's when they were little using what do yu call them... Oh yeah, duh patterns. They wore those things forever. I also made a set of cloth Christmas placemats, napkin holders and table cloth, and made my sister the cutest doily set for her livingroom. Oh and I made the girls pillows for their bed and my hubby a Raiders pillow. I still have them. that was like 10 years ago now. Now Courtney and Heather are wanting to learn how to use a sewing machine. They each got one from their Grandma Pat when she passed away. Courtney has been making pillows at school so we have been shopping for fabric a lot lately. That's a good idea.. I am going to make my nephews pillows for Christmas and have the girls help ;-) This time of year makes me think about family so much.

I just don't know what I wanna be when I grow up! lol .. Thank God DH puts up with me...

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Well Mom did pass on her love of flowers to me LOL but she didn't know alot about growing plants either said her mom was one who did all that. Apparently Grandma was up before everyone else fully dressed and first thing she does before starting breakfast for them was go check on her plants. I have a rose bush that Grandma started for mom when they moved to the house I grew up in.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Okay Seray...that is so not fair...are you really going to Paula's for Thanksgiving dinner??Erase that Seray I cant think about anything else now. I Love Paula. She is the best she is the best cook ever.

LOL Hey Arejay

I'm not going to Paula's. We went a couple of times and decided that she and I must have similar genes in that we cook very much alike. She cooks plain country cooking. Green beans cooked with country ham and a little onion. Fried chicken with milk gravy and mashed potatoes with lots of butter. Standard southern cooking. Grew up eating it. Mom was a great cook. I'm sure all these southern girls can cook just like Paula. Mekos, Mindy, RRM

Come on down and we'll cook ya up some fixings and you won't have to stand in line for an hour. LOL

And the price is right. We should all bring a bowl of something. I make a killer fruit salad. Everyone always wants to take a bowl home afterwards. Big pan or bowl. Toss in a bag of small marshmellows, add a can of fruit coctail, small jar of red and jar of green marishino cherries ,can of peaches, can of pineapple tidbits, can of tropical fruit,(be sure to drain the fluid off the cans of fruit), cup of pecans chopped or get the pieces, and a tub of sour cream , mix and stir till it's all mixed together,and let sit for 4 hours in the fridge before serving so the marshmellows can soak up the fluids on the fruit and sour cream. UUmmmm so good!

Fruit salad sounds good Mekos.

My grandmother made 24 hr salad similar to yours. Started off with 4 egg yolks and juice from a lemon in a double boiler. Cook until thick. Cool. Then add 1 lb. of seedless white grapes cut in half, lg. can pineapple tidbits drained, 1 sm. can of mandarin oranges drained, cup of walnuts (I like pecans) about 2 cups of small marshmallows (more if you want it sweeter). Fold in 1/2 cup of whipped cream. Refrigerate for 24 hrs. Lemon curd melts the marshmallows which sweetens it up and softens the nuts. I could eat the whole thing. LOL

In the south it's the dressing that makes the cook for Thanksgiving. If IT turns out right you know your meal was a success. Not only do you have to make good corn bread but the seasonings have to be just right. I'd put mine up against Paula's any day. How about you Mekos? LOL

Maybe if we talk about it enough I'll be sick of turkey by Thanksgiving and won't have to go to all that trouble. I'll just go to Louies and have beignets and coffee after a spanish omelet and watch the boats come into port.

Savannah is a nice place for a get together. :) Then we could all go to Paula's for lunch and compare our cooking. Take the ghost tour trolley and have seafood on river street. Nice weekend.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Well, now that I have gained 10 pounds just reading this thread, I want to thank you all for the yummy sounding recipes. Now, if I can just figure out how to print the recipes, it will all be good.

Well Lynn, go to to the one you want to print out and under the person's name there is a # of the post, click on it and it will bring up that post and click print. Then it will only print that one for ya. Then you go to the next one you want and do the same. I copied some earlier.

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Goodmorning Ladies.. Sounds like the holidays will be as fattening as always...We always have lunch at DMIL house she cooks enough to feed 50 people... Last year my Dad had plans with DGF they went out of town so we didnt do TG there...This year his DGF has passed away so depending on what my DB and his wife are working we will have TG meal on or near TG, when ever we can all get together as a family...

I too make dressing I'd put up against Paula's..Then again Im one of those good ole southern cooks... If God gave me a talent it was cooking... My Mom ran a local cafe for year so I grew up cooking for others... I often wish now I had chosen that for a career... I almost bought one a few years ago but the econonmy had already started to fall and I backed out of the deal..

So now i just dig in the dirt and talk to my plants and you guys all day(not complaining)...

Ok im off for blood work and mamogram this am... ughh nothing to eat or drink missing my coffee already!!!

Talk to you later today... hope you all have a great one... Trish

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Seray, Recipes???? I make cornbread often I try different recipes all the time always looking for a new best... I am not especially fond of turkey prefer chicken but it is Thanksgiving and I dont know I guess do as the pilgrims fdid I usually fold and make one. But I would vote for the omelet and watching the boats. I want the one with mushrooms, lots of cheese some tomato and garlic....beignets ive made a couple of times but I lean toward Grammie Pegs donuts. The ghost tour must be fabulous there Seray is it? Have you been do you go often?
Honey have you decided no cafe? Or just a delay in the plan? My mom was a cook for most of her life I started cooking when I was gosh 7 I think. I love to cook and I have more collected cook books and recipes than any one person should have. My worst bad habit is making a dish and changing it up ending up with something I or someone else loves and whoops I didn't write it down and duplicate it oh well maybe next time....Recipes guys recipes???

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I don't live as far south as you gals do but I think I would put my cooking against Paulas any day too. LOL I was taught the old southern way of cooking but it is funny none of us were from the way down south type people. The farthest south we're from is Ky.
I am setting here reading all of this and thinking about New Years dinner
with blackeyed peas,greens corned beef and cabbage and cornbread. LOL

My DH is way down south kinda people. Southern gentleman big blue eyes Funny :) I digress LOL

Haven't been on the Ghost tour trolley. Mostly I wonder around the parks and end up on River Street. It's a wild place to drive. I think it was the first planned city and they planned each block to face a park in the middle. Like a wagon wheel. To get to the next block over you have to know which 'spoke' will take you there. Otherwise you end up going round and round different squares. All beautiful with large oaks, hanging moss. All landscaped. Old houses like New Orleans where you can peek through the wrought iron into hidden lush gardens. They do have a garden tour and a home tour plus about 20 other types of tours. In these squares that you're trying to negotiate are horse driven carriages and trolley buses. Not to mention the locals who drive like their hair was on fire. LOL And on top of that you have one of the biggest Art schools in the country. What wasn't renovated by the city and heritage groups was bought up by the college, renovated and turned into classrooms. Artist everywhere pen and pencil and cameras. Country's oldest art museum and the oldest African American church. Lively place.

Haven't been in a while. Waiting for ya'll to visit and we'll all get lost down there as a group. I can find my way to River street. Oysters, pralines, coffee and music. Paula's is a big place, multi-storied fairly near River Street. I think she uses both first and second floors. All these buildings are old old. Floors are wooden with wide planks. Big windows. Boar's Head has a restaurant right on river street. Great steaks. Shopping galore!

If I went there for Thanksgiving I'd go to the Hyatt. They have one of the best chefs in the county. Right on the river. Great big windows! Reservations are always required in most places except the River Street seafood places. Paula's reserve is months in advance during the summer. And that's lunch.

I'd say if you don't want to come here for Thankgiving we go to Huney's. We'll encourage her to open that cafe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.