New Bug spray

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Im trying out a new (to me) bug spray: Bayer 3 in 1. Spider Mites have always been my biggest problem. Yes, I know it says for residential outdoor use only on the label. Mealybugs are not an issue in my house - rubbing alcohol. Have not seen a Whitefly for 15 years (fingers crossed.) Just got some aphids in some new plants last month. The spray seems to be working, does not offend my nose and did not cost too much. Can anyone else share there experience with Bayer 3 in 1?

This message was edited Nov 11, 2009 3:46 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

If there was a loophole that allowed Bayer to recommend this product for indoor use, you can bet that they would be selling it for indoor use. It is stressed that the product is for outdoor use only, because it is dangerous to people and pets to use it indoors.

My experience is it works as advertised when used according to directions, but a less toxic, safer product should be your choice indoors if you value your health and the health of those living with you. Sorry to have said what I did, but I'm concerned about you.

Al

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I used it a few times in my greenhouse out of desperation when nothing else worked, and I felt it smelled pretty toxic and nasty--fortunately my greenhouse is pretty small so I can stand in the doorway with my nose pointing in another direction while I spray, but I would never use it indoors. And I'll second Al's comment as well about if it was safe to use inside Bayer would for sure tell you to use it on your houseplants too--companies rarely overlook opportunities like that!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

The label often instructs the applicator to finish and immediatedly wash clothes, bathe from head to toe and to prevent "anyone" from entering the outside patch for as many as forty eight hours. How could anyone possibly make those instructions relate to safe indoor use? It's bad enough outside.....so bad that I rarely if ever use the harsh chemicals. Please note that I am a backyard gardener not a chemical educated or licenced professional grower.

Danville, IN

Instead of a spray, use a systemic. I've found great success with Bayer systemics, both the Rose Care and 12-month disease and insect control. Upon the advice of a fellow DG'er, in desperation, I tried it for scale and spider mites last spring, and it works wonderfully. Since it's a systemic, there are no vapors or mist. Bayer instructions do not list it for indoor or potted plants, but when contacted, they said it wasn't a safety issue, but rather that they didn't know of its effectiveness on potted plants, indoors or out.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The Bayer 3 in 1 spray is also systemic (although I don't think it lasts quite as long as the soil drench version).

Danville, IN

Yes, some systemics are applied as sprays. I should have specified those systemics that are applied as a drench. I've used the spray systemics outside, and even on potted plants that summered outdoors and well before moving them in for the winter. I really have had the most satisfactory results using the 12-month systemic.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

As Ralph Snodsmith always says, "read and follow the label directions".

I spray with these types OUTSIDE and then bring inside once dry enough.

Safety FIRST folks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.