Poppy Time

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Neal...Yes these were wintersown.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I found an orange portulaca at the base of a Canna. Too bad I can't see it standing up! lol. I hope Bev's portulacas respond well to the milk-jugs waiting for them;) I have about 30 ready for WS'ing. I hope to WS about 200 species. I hope that I can fit four species to a jug!

~Daniel

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I've started collecting seeds from them already with you in mind. You and I will have portulaca next year my friend:))
Bev

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

I had mine in a black plastic cauldron,too. They were winter sown.

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/dem_pa/?action=view¤t=MossRoseKettle.jpg

Don

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Don, those are beautiful:) I used to grow portulaca in containers when I lived in an apartment. Forgot how much I liked that. Thanks for the picture and the reminder:)
Bev

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Drool!

Don, I can only load the top quarter of your pic, but I like the color! I think I saw one of the same shade last year in my garden.

Here is the collage of most of the poppies of this Spring,

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Forgot to say, open the pic up to see the individual photos!

I collected Peony, Hungarian, and Lauren's Grape seeds today. I was not able to collect pink lactiflora or Ladybird because the plants died before the seeds matured, I think. I am looking foward to collecting Lauren's Lavender!

~Daniel

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Lauren's Lavender? Those are some wonderful pics Daniel. I love poppy season...well over here in this awful, oppressive heat.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ditto on the heat. Id wish for rain, but humidity comes and kills the joy!

Bev, yeah. I was sent a few seeds in a bonus packet mixed with lactina and other sonniferums. I hope the seeds are not rotting!

~Daniel

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just harvested my Venus poppies. Some seed pods were spilling as I put them in bags to hang upside down in the garage.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

GE if you have any extras, maybe we could set up a trade when we are both done collecting seeds. Not sure if it was my fault or what, but I did not see hardly any poppies germinate form the seeds I ordered from One Stop Poppy Shop. I did get some from my Falling in Love mix, I got from Territorial and I treated them all the same. I am very sad about this as I ordered about 8 different packets from one stop poppy shoppe.... :(

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Meridith
Oddly enough I had the same experience. I thought it was me(as usual)
I sowed in November
Persian White
Himaliad Blue
Lilac
Grape.Nothing showed.
In April I took a chance and sowed them again and wasnt surprised when they failed to germinate. I had a double order and sowed half the seeds.I kept the other half of the order to sow in December.I will mark with sticks to be sure the scater isnt too broad.If these fail to germinate I will have to change my GW remark.I think she is genuinly interested in feedback so I will write too.

Tuskegee, AL(Zone 8a)

OMG!!! ENOUGH ABOUT WINTER SOWING FROM ALL YOU ICE-FISHERS!!!

I want to grow poppies, and it's mid-summer in the searing hot, humid, deep south.

What are the chances any species will germinate/grow/thrive/flourish?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

SLIM TO NONE
They need a long bitter cold period to germinate.

Thanks GE, I don't think it's a coincidence if we both had poor results, don't you agree?

Silkknoll, I agree with ge. Perhaps you should sow yours in late fall and they would germinate sometime in winter. When we sow ours in March it still is getting down to freezing and lower, then when they sprout it is still pretty cold like between 40 and 50 degrees. So maybe you could figure out what time of year you have similar temps. and that's when they'd do well in your climate. : )

Ge I went and looked up my order I knew I'd forget something if I did it off the top of my head...
281882 Peshawar Poppy, Persian White Poppy Papaver somniferum var. album 2-3 ft.
281884 Peony Poppy, (Paeoniiflorum Group) White Cloud Papaver somniferum 2-3 ft.
281885 California Poppy Apricot Chiffon Eschscholzia californica 7-10 in.
281887 Peony Poppy (Paeoniiflorum Group) Salmon Peony Papaver somniferum 2-3 ft.
281888 Feathered Poppy, Fringed Poppy (Laciniatum Group) Swansdown Papaver somniferum 2-3 ft.
281889 Feathered Poppy, Fringed Poppy (Laciniatum Group) Peach Feathers Papaver somniferum 2-3 ft
281890 Breadseed Poppy Queen's Poppy Papaver somniferum 2-3 ft.

Oh and the White Linen Cali Poppies I got from Botanical Interests germinated and are still looking really good out there.... I didn't see one of the Appricot Chiffon from One stop poppy? I sowed them in different spots but used exact same method and did it the same day. I know I definitely won't order from there again. I hate writing bad reviews but I think one is necessary in this case, don't you?

Tuskegee, AL(Zone 8a)

Ok, well, thanks for warning me. It would have been a pity to waste good seeds. I suppose the real problem is that most of the winter here is in the 40s and 50s, with a couple of weeks with nights in the 30s and occasional dips into the 20s and teens. I wonder if this is enough winter for poppies at all.

Do I have to give up on them, as I have with sweet peas, which can never tolerate our weather? (hm -- maybe I should try sweet peas as winter flowers like pansies and snapdragons......)

What about California poppies, how do they ever germinate in CA without any truly cold weather?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Silk..California poppies do not need the cold to germinate. You may have much better luck with them although they are still tricky to transplant if you are not sowing them directly in the ground. I've actually germinated them in the dead heat of summer. Matter of fact, last time I put them in the garden I sowed them successively so that I would have them all summer.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Silk: I only sow annual poppies in the cold.
Orientals dont work for me so I cant contribute on that subject.
Try a few sown befor your cold spells and see if it works on a small spot.
Dont scatter too broadly or you wont be able to recognise the germinated sprouts.Mant people weed them out by mistake.
I have a thread on germinated poppies that has pictures of the leaves from the beginning if you need it.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have tried sowing orientals in the fall and spring.. IM SOL...as for annual poppies.. never tried them...but no, they do not transplante well
And I have tried putting in plants of the perennial (biennial) types to no avail.
Lot of its my dirt (unfirtile), competiton (grass overbears it) and water.. either too much as I flood or too little in the dry season....I have given them up. This is a permanant error...they do not deliver for me!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

There are too many plant choices out there to waste time on the ones that disapoint faithfully.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im good fer wating my time.. I keep saying stick to the DL's then I got no problems. LOL cept when the hub sprays and we think he may have used the wrong killer. Oops!

Tuskegee, AL(Zone 8a)

"DL"?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

dAY lILIES

Day Lilies

Tuskegee, AL(Zone 8a)

Ah. ... Hems.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

yup

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

yep.. hema-holic here...

Post a Reply to this Thread