Poppy Time

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

No BB,I just had them in my hot little paw day before yesterday. I've probably put them in the wrong ziplock. I've probably find them this weekend when I get out the nigellia to WS.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I have got a few of Tangerine Gem marigolds that are in want of a good home(too cramped in these gardens) would you want them, red?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

DM,thanks for the offer but I'm not a big fan of marigolds

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Neil's right- I was thinking/talking more about wintersowing in egg cartons. But even inside the house, seems to me they're dry awfully fast. At this time of year with the heat blasting even cell packs dry pretty fast. I get weary of watering them all the time, prefer to use yogurt cups if I have space under the lights, or at least the large or deep cells.

Karen

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ive sown all my seeds in 4" pots when in the house. This year, dont know what Im gonna do.. space is an issue. I used to do plug trays.. now that was a watering and seedingissue.. with my hands as such, seeding is not easy. Watering, well thats a pain too. But the plug trays were far easier to water.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2009 1:57 PM

DEMinPA, nice poppy!

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I am going to try california poppies Jelly Beans and Mission Bells. Also doing Flanders annual poppies for the first time this year.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I sowed some of my poppy seeds today. On the flanders red poppies, I direct sowed some and I also sowed some in little pots so I could plant them in the garden in spots that are not yet ready.

I also sowed one of my two envelops of Mission Bells California Poppies. Again in pots. Actually in reused plastic six packs that I bought annuals in and planted already.

Its absolutely freezing today, well 56 but feels so cold with the wind blowing. Figgured it was a good day to start poppies.

How long does it take for germination? I was wondering when I should look for little plantlets. Thanks!

Germination, or until you can see plants? For germ, I think it is about 21 days. Till you can see plant, about 2 months.

~Daniel

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My OP's are really bustin out this yer.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

No germ.. man I am not having any luck in the garden

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I had bookoos of poppies earlier in the year growing in egg cartons,I sat them outside to harden off so I could set them out and a heavy rain storm beat them right out of the containers so all I have are the calif. and bread seed poppies that were directly sown :>(

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, least you got some! My OP's never germed.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

had the calif,for years and I just tossed the bread seed poppy seeds on the ground

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Prince of orange

Thumbnail by ge1836
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Purdy orange. I use to hate orange flowers but since I started planting orange,lime green and purple together,I've grown to like it.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I tried plants from Bluestone one year, Beauty of Livermore I think it was.. I just dont have luck with poppies and those were a stunning orange.

If I had that orange she has I would combine it with my spiderwarts!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

yummy

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Or here, lets put that poppy wiht these!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Californias are in full bloom. The red/orange orientals have but 2 blooms left. Over 10 seedpods for me!
What is really showing off now is P. rhoeas 'Falling in Love'. I wish I had a pic on this comp. This a light pink picotee, a red one with white markings, and a semidouble with wild pink, white and red stripes. Really jazzy!

I hope that the Mission Bells Californias start blooming soon! The plants are big enough!

GE, I like that 'Prince of Orange'. Is that a rhoeas, orientale, or a sonniferum?

BB, what's that last flower? That looks like either a lisanthus or a rose!

~Daniel

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

pink tea rose...one of the few roses I have....I think its an heirloom of some description.. its been around for probably 50 years.

Hey, I got some germs out in the cutter! Dont know what all.. probably weeds! HA!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

DMgardner Its a Oriental. Glad I took the pic when I did as we are havingTStrms and wind. Deadly combo for poppies of any kind.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Hey Daniel ~ Let's get some pix of your beauties...

BB ~ Lovely photos!

ge1836 ~ Orange you glad to have such a nice poppy?

bigred ~ What poppies do you have now? Any pictures?

I am sorry to say but I have not yet had a chance to plant or sow any poppies. I suppose I will try sowing after summer now.

This is an Iceland poppy from a couple years back....

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I found 1 annual somifarium that self sowed last year. Its going to bloom.The rest that I sowed arent tall enough yet.I'll oix when its light.Its growing in with the DL's

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My DLs are just starting. They are about the only thing I do have luck with!

I direct sowd my OP's.. they said tried fall sowing so I did and NADA. I swear its the soil here and the wet

For more of the rest of my mess...go here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103915/

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Joann, which Poppies are the ones in the front most of this pic? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7844932 I absolutely love the color of them! I tried Princess Victoria Louise an dthe color just looks like palepink to me, not the salmon pink I was afyter (like the ones in your pic).
Thanks for sharing!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I believe the Salmon ones are Queen Victoria,they are mixed with Corel Reefs and Victoria Louise.I agree about VL its not impressive and doesnt hold a bloom long.

Thanks so much! So which one do you think the Coral Reef are the best for that bright coral salmon color?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is Corel Reef.It was the first to bloom and is still going.

Thumbnail by ge1836

I love taht one! I was going to order some from Bluestone's when they had their half off sale, but when I went back to order the sale had ended!

Hi!

I hope that I can get the card developed soon, I have so any pix to show. Ladybird bloomed today, rather small. I hope the paeonifloriums bloom soon, they have buds now.
Ge, guess what I found today? A oriental poppy that is just like that Prince of Orange! And I thought that I had planted just red ones, lol. And that Coral Reef is stunning!

BB, if we do a trade this year, you must send me a cutting, maybe... I can't root cuttings very well. lol. That is one beautiful rose! My Mirandy is resting...

evelyn_inthegarden, I have a question. Is the Iceland poppy cold-loving, but tolerant of heat? I think I read it's a perrenial, but with the heat of May/June...
I would like to grow it, especially those that have 4+ colors subtley blended together... Easy to grow from seed like other poppies? Direct sow only, or can tolerate transplanting, like the Orientals?
Thanks!

~Daniel

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Danny if I get the time I will think of you there.. I know we had also talked about coleus.

That rose might set hips if you want to try seed. I know my red longstem did last year.. but I did not save any roses seed at all

My gardening is so pathetic this year due to health.. so you will have to grin and bare me. I an suffering huge neglect periods and lost a lot of my annuals that were in my livingroom when I moved them outdoors. UGH!

I have had to break quite a few hopeful promises and I hate doing that.

I am just starting to get into the swing again.

This is a picture of an Iceland poppy that was extremely root bound that I got in a gallon container from HD.

BB ~ I am so sorry about your health. I , too, lost a few seedlings as some dried out when I had periods of time when Iwas not feeling well. They just won't wait for us, darn!
Please take care...

Evelyn :-)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

thanks evelyn... just one of those things.. this getting old stuff is for the birds...

that poppy is lovely btw!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Iceland Poppies are annuals here. I love them,so delicate and dancy in the garden.

Iceland poppies will last only a season here, though sometimes they will reseed...many times I will disturb and area, not realizing that there are seedlings coming up...has anyone ever done that?

Here's another one that is an annual for me...any secrets in keeping them going from year to year?

This message was edited Jun 8, 2010 3:12 PM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

DD has one in a pot that comes inside for the winter. Its in its 3rd year but I wouldnt call it a sucess.New growth this year and maybe a bloom late in the summer like last year.
They are not a heat loving plant. We keep it in part shade.

I am not positive but I think they are called African Daisies? Am I wrong? I overwintered some in my garage, this past winter and they are blooming now. I am sad because my favorite color one was the only one I forgot to take in! It looked very similar to the one in your photo evelyn.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They are also called Gerber Daisies.They like it cool.DG'er said they come from South Africa where its not as hot and dry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.