November...color in your garden ??

Billingshurst, United Kingdom

Wow. Thats a whole world from me. Right off my radar. Enjoy y'all.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the VF area.
I have been to VF park and museum.Its an eye-opener when you see what flimsy quarters the Rev,Soldiers had as sleeping quarters.No more than a trench in the ground that slept 4.
As to the WalnutHill park.
Some restorations I have been to are tastefully done.
Amenities and souvaneer stands and resturants are off site.
I would hate to see the giftshop and resturant behind the barn.
There is a nice restore near Terrytown NY.
Its the Rockefeller "Stone Barn" project.
Barns were restored and several hunderd yards away there are green houses where everything served in the resturante is grown.The property is totally eco.functional.
http://www.stonebarnscenter.org/

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's very nice, Ge. Thanks for posting it. Looks like they have a lot of nice programs. Wonder if anyone has added it to GoGardening.

Yesterday, I found some buds on my Lobelia cardinalis "Queen Victoria". It had bloomed for some time in August & September. I like this cardinal flower because it has black stems.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38352/

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

My sedums are still looking quite lovely. I've found some new ones I want for next year. I like this new to me one. It also kind of has the lime green we were talking about.

http://www.waltersgardens.com/plants/view/?plant=1949

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh, very nice - they are like a cross between a sedum and the Allium karataviense I just got. You've probably seen them, but...http://www.plantbuzz.com/Alpine-L/ATOW/atow-nov_wk1_2003/im_Allium_kara_forms.htm

Stormy, did you see Dax's Cardinal flowers on that other thread? Stunning, I bet yours will be twice so with that dark coloration.

Edited to add: Geez, took me forEVER to find that darn thread! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7307204

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 8:53 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

After 2 snows, a few hardy perennials just keep on blooming. I picked these today for one last bouquet. The one is Red Cherry Knautia which has bloomed nonstop since Spring. The blue one is Butterfly Blue Scabiosa. The yarrow is an unknown a neighbor gave me last Aug. I cut it back and divided it and it has bloomed all of Oct and Nov. Still have a few watermelon verbena blooming too. Fall has been great this year.

Susan

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009 11:52 PM

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Susan, That is a beautiful bouquet. The blue one looks like Scabiosa. I was thinking of adding both Knautia and Scabiosa next year. I'm looking for a shorter variety of Scabiosa. I put in a white one last year and it grows really tall and flops all over everything else.

Sheryl, yes, Dax's cardinal flower is lovely and very striking in that shaded setting.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks Stormyla. You're right, the blue one is a scabiosa. I had one of the white ones too and was not very happy with it. It was too floppy and the flowers too small. The Blue Butterfly one is easy to find and is one of the longest blooming perennials in the garden. The pink one does not do as well for me.

Susan

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

November color today is white stuff.
I woke up to the ground covered with snow.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I think white is the appropriate color for December ^_^
Iincolnitess, those flowers are beautiful, I may just have to add them to my wish list.
This thread is getting long should I make a new thread?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lovely end of the year bouquet, LIncolntess.

A little spotty snow here on the ground still.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

It will be in the low to high 50's here all week, dropping to 5 on Sunday night!!!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Our lowest predicted is 20 on 12/10, for the nex two weeks. And no snow to speak of. So, not too bad for December, but I still wish it was April. Oh, well, it will be.

Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

What a beautiful bouquet Lincolnitess. I too, have been amazed at how many flowers are blooming this year. I don't think I've ever seen a Dec. 1 with flowers like this. I even have a silly quince and forsythia blooming, and blooms down in my vinca minor. I hope these things will still bloom alright next spring. We're to be down to 18 on Friday morning, so that should be the end of it. What a funny year...we had the coolest September ever on record and we have now had the warmest November ever on record. I could happily take this every year!

Thumbnail by willowwind
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

It is crazy weather isn't it? Loved those 50 and 60 degree days in Nov, but it sounds like it's about over here. I took this photo of Red Cherry Knautia this morning. It has lots of buds on it yet and looks like it would just like to keep blooming forever. I don't think it was ever without flowers from the time I planted it in May until now. I do wish I had planted it closer to the front of the bed. It is suppose to be 16" tall, but with the floppy stems, it is shorter and the flowers are fairly small, so I will move it next year if it makes it through the winter and put it right along the edge of the flower bed.

Susan

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I definitely need to add that Knautia to my list for next year. Susan, did you grow it from seed? Hart had a beautiful red one in her garden that really impressed me.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

its really nice

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I found Red Cherry at a nursery here in town. I have grown the taller ones from seed, but liked this one since it was shorter. I think it is a newer cultiver. Last year was the first year I saw it available. They are nice, but because the flowers are small, need to be viewed up close to be appreciated. I seem to remember my other ones were short lived, but did reseed. Here is a close up of the plant when I first planted it last Spring. Grew well in one year.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Susan.

Are these varieties of Knautia macedonica? One of the happiest accidents I had in my garden was when the tall wiry stems of one of those grew up amongst bronze fennel plants so the flowers seemed to float in the clouds of bronzey leaves. Both plants self-seed in the garden.Unfortunately it was before I discovered digital cameras but I must try and re-create it.
Probably is one of those things that only happens by accident, but must be worth a try.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The Red Cherry is a dwarf variety of Knautia macedonica. 16" tall instead of the 3-4 ft. that most reach. i bet they were great with the bronze fennel. Isn't it funny how some plants seem to know where to reseed themselves?

I like the straight species because it has that kind of loose naturalness, but it is intersesting how the seedlings seems to vary in their redness. Red Cherry is ceratinly a good colour but it must have quite a different personality, being so compact. I've not yet noticed any varieties for sale in England but will check it out now. Are they completely hardy in zone 5b?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This really is crazy weather. It was almost 70 today and now they say our low on Sunday will be 22. I have Daff's, Tulips, Callas and Hyacinths coming up.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The temps crashed here.Thursday started out at 52 and began to fall around 10o'clock .Wind 30 mph and rain ,snow predicted for the weekend but nothing to get bent out of shape about.
Once again Buffalo will get the most

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Nope, Syracuse will win. LOL.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Both places get it bad.
Maps of the lake make it clear where the westerlies blow the stuff.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, but then last year we got lake effect, and was told it was off Lake Erie. Now hold on a minute. Don't they have enough cities around Lake Erie, that have to send it here? The wind was coming from the SW.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

bitter cold this AM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes, tis.

What is that double yellow lily you showed a collage of? That's very pretty.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

FataMorgana I was not a fan of doubles but this is one I want.
Just learned how to post album slide show of summers flowers
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/MostlyLilies?authkey=Gv1sRgCKDzlYKPsejguwE#
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/Containers2009#
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/DayliliesLiliesDaylilyGarden

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

So Fata Morgana isn't one you have?

I like the picture program. I think my husband uses picasa. I should probably. Lovely pictures, Jo Ann. You've become quite the gardener.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes I do have Fatas in abundance. I had 5 bulbs planted in one spot in 2007.I had to move 2 because there were some Music Art Lilies nearby and when all were in bloom it was blinding.
I planted some Purple Prince between the Fatas and Musics. Hope it cuts down the glare.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.