November...color in your garden ??

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just cut back the last mums.
They are so tired they dont even make a good boquet

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm cutting all of the Asters and Hostas down now. I'm leaving these mums until next week. Can you believe that I blew all of the leaves out of that bed last friday???

Thumbnail by stormyla
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What a nice place for a garden. Traffic must like it too.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

My asters will be good for a couple of more weeks. I planted some mums a few years ago, but they all died off. Have a few new ones in this year - hope they do well.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

soilsandup, that's really nice to have Asters lasting this long. They are one of my favorites and not many people around here grow them. They are so easy and take no care, I don't understand why they are so underused here. I had some wild ones show up in my bed this year, and I am delighted.

GE, Thank you. That traffic can get up to 55 mph at times. Sometimes I get wind burned working out in that bed. I don't know if anyone notices the mums, but they surely do notice my bulbs in the spring. People stop all of the time. You should see the techniques that DSO and I use to trim the trees with the oncoming traffic. As the giant limbs fall, I run out into the street to retrieve them and hope I don't trip in front of an oncoming car. The motorists have looks of sheer terror on their faces when they see big limbs falling into the street!!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Beautiful garden I can see why people would stop.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice spring display

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

A portion of my yard also fronts a busy street - one of the main drags in the entire county.
I find this 'public gardening' a little disconcerting - I'm not looking my finest in my gardening duds!
And my 'fringe' gardening interests don't necessarily result in good street appeal.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Gardengus & Ge, that's about the only time it looks really good. Too much leaf cover in the summer for a large floral display. It's a tough bed. The road wind & maples make it difficult to grow most shade plants.

Weerobin, Roadside gardening definitely has it's drawbacks. I don't worry too much about how I look, after all I am gardening. But it is very difficult to try to make the bed look good from 2 sides, especially with the challenges of Maple roots and road wind on the street side. Up until last fall, I hadn't even gotten to planting that section. The mums were the first attempt, and I was surprised that most of them survived the winter.

Billingshurst, United Kingdom

Just started moving my garden out into the front this week. People won't look at me anyway, just the cocker spaniel that always sits next to me so certainly don't worry what I'm wearing. As for fringe gardening.. all for pushing the limits.
This is in my back garden; a Pennisetum ( though not flowering with Cotinus)

Thumbnail by Mr_Canthus

This I saw in a neighbours front garden today. Physalis and Cotoneaster

Thumbnail by Mr_Canthus

Oh! and since I mentioned the dog. Please excuse my indulgance. This is the typical garden pose

Thumbnail by Mr_Canthus
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Mr_Canthus, those Cotoneasters are very nice. I don't have too many plants producing berries now. I got rid of my Pyrecanthus as no matter how much I pruned it, it would try to take over half of a bed.

For several years, I tried to grow Gaultheria Procumbens, but without success. I do have two nice Beauty bushes that had nice purple berries this year. I'm still waiting for my Skimmia to produce berries. It did two years ago, but not last year.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Mr_Canthus,

Love all the photos of the pretty fall plants in their lovely bright colors but especially partial to your garden helper. :-) What a sweetie!

Mary

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Awww....

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Love the markings on your wet nosed friend Mr C.

Thanks for the kind words re Snoops. I'm a typical proud doggy dad.
Took this pic a short while ago in my local park,talking of berries stormyla.
Its Rosa moyesii, perhaps the cultivar 'Geranium'

Thumbnail by Mr_Canthus

And these Kniphofia linearifolia were flowering in my own garden into the beginning of this month, but this pic at their best was taken in October

Thumbnail by Mr_Canthus
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Tahta amazing. We have Knipfois in June and july when the lilies are blooming

Thumbnail by ge1836

Yeah. There seem to be some for all months April -October. I love them but some of my friends find them vulgar. I think the only problem is the way they fade.. it certainly isn't gracefully

Nice color combo, ge!

Yes it is amazing isn't it. Incredible colour match

Indeed!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Have to confess I work at it.
Pirls influence

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I still have a few things in pots blooming. These candy tuft were winter sown and bloomed late but just keep blooming.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I also have some tall white flowering tobacco still blooming.
It also is in a pot.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Mr_Canthus, Your Knifophia are beautiful.. I love the shape and the bright yellow color. I have a love hate relationship with my torch lilies. I love the blooms and hate the ratty looking foliage. Every year, I swear that I'm going to rip them out. Then they bloom and charm me all over again. Sometimes, like now, I even consider getting more of them. But then sanity takes over. LOL

Ge, yours look like the variety that I grow.

Gus, I like your pink Iberis.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

stormy: I hate the foliage too, there are 2 we inherited with the clay soil on the property.
In spring when the soil is looser,I dig half out and transplant.
The Torches are in a shallow garden and leaves take up valuable room,thats why I planted Lilies with them

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gosh, Ge, You're encouraging that insanity. LOL I've always wanted to have several large clumps of them throughout my side bed. The ones I have are very early blooming. I wouldn't mind a mid season orange and a late season gold. Maybe three separate blooms would ease the aggravation of putting up with the ugly foliage. Or else it would just be more eyesores!!!

So far the voles have never bothered them. I did lose some Crocosmia that were planted right next to them this year. It may have been the voles. Any excuse to plant more lilies is welcome here.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just ordered 3 from American Meadows. half price.
I can still get a spade in the ground here.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Last year, I saw a thread on them. I'll try to find it, because I really do want to ensure different bloom periods. What color did you order?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

R u Talking about the lilies I just ordered?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

No, I meant the Torches. What lilies did you order?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My Torches are unknown.
We bought this house 2 years ago and the torches were here.
I like them but they need a lot of room.
As stated above I shrink the plants in spring whe theyre easier to dig.
I really want to grow Rudbeckias and lilies and Campanulas and Coreopsis's in that particular spot.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Then you should. I have trouble getting Coreopsis to return here. I have a couple of the Tickseed still surviving, but I've lost a number of those and some other varieties too. I did plant some C. Tequila Sunrise this year and hope they will return.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Mee too. I also have Sienna Sunset.This is my first season with coriopses and had heard some varieties are hard to grow.
My bulb order looks like this
Asiatics:
Chianti
Gironde
Reinesse
and a mixture from Buggy Crazy first time ordering from her.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Those are very nice. This fall I also added Gironde and my first OA, "First Crown":

http://www.thelilygarden.com/pages_lilies/asiatic_oriental_1.html

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

How late into the season do you (all) continue to plant bulbs?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have First Crown and just Love it. Very sensual color blending

Thumbnail by ge1836
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, Ge, Thanks for showing that. I can't wait for mine to bloom. Does it have a really nice scent?

Gus, I can plant bulbs here until about mid December.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.