Photo Contest #2 Time to Vote for Hoses!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We were getting a tad winded so here we be. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1046004/

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Did you bring the knockwurst?

Mmmmmm. Knockwurst....

Thumbnail by
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

LOL! It's lunchtime!
Piper, wait till you see!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nope I brought chocolate. I am breaking my recent VERY repetative diet of soup/tea/juice/water with chocolate. Note to self: make and store a batch of chocolate soup for future emergencies.

Santa Fe, NM

Tell Piper the knockwurst is from the sausage tree! If my typing is erratic it is because of all the crashing things and thumping over head. I have it on very good authority from an English gentleman on the recipes thread, NeilMuir, that a home-made chocolate rum sauce served warm over ice cream is good for flu. His D.W. had swine flu and recovered thanks to proper nutrition. I think he also made curry when she was up for it.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Yep, that turmeric is sooo very therapeutic.

Dnut, did they ID your virus in a lab? Here in the good old land of the free and the home of the brave, the CDC stopped testing for H1N1 back in July. That's so that they could redefine swine flu as any "flu-like illness".

Jude, Piper was very disappointed. I had to let her lick the butter off my fingers after I buttered a cake pan.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

EEEK!!! EEEK!!!! What is with all the spawns of satan in the photo contest!?!?!? Did you note the really scarey one with ear tufts from Northumberland?!?!?! Methinks I need fortification before I can go back to that catagory.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Roybird what a luvly medicinal receipe for the flu ^_^ Picante they only test you here if show up at the hospital mostly dead. I'm not sure I would want to go near a hospital right now unless I was mostly dead. The waiting rooms are pretty scarey.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

So sorry, dear Dnut, I tried to warn you in another thread about all the squirrely pictures. But you were busy drinking tea and soup and hallucifying. There, there. Have a bit of chocolate and don't go back to that dang "wildlife" category.

Wildlife, my foot. If I'd only known, I would have posted some nice mountain goat pics.

Santa Fe, NM

If I thought I had flu the Last place I would want to be would be in a hospital or emergency room. I'd want to be home looking at pictures in the photo contest. I am very much in favor of preventative medicine such as curry, ginger, chocolate, rum and good tea. Actually, I do drink a fair bit of green tea with ginger just because I like it. Turmeric is one of my favorite flavors and you can also get it in capsules. Recently a friend gave me some immune strengthening mushroom pills that made me sick to my stomach so I had to take one every other day instead of every time I turned around. But, they do have all manner of things that might be good for you in them.

Ooh! I have some _very_ good single malt scotch in the cabinet. Maybe that will help my cough! ;-p

The various mushroom tonic stuff I've seen seems to be very good for boosting the immune system. i should have started taking that a long time ago. It's a bit late for prevention for me. I'm drinking all sorts of bitter - uh - yummy! - chinese herbs to get rid of the crud. Once i'm well again, I should try to remember to take some mushroom tonic.

Santa Fe, NM

As for the squirrels and other vermin...well, they are wild animals, right? Why are there no rats, then? I had an interesting conversation with a groundskeeper at a local park recently about prairie dogs, which are protected here but often run rampant in the streets getting squished and so forth. They chew through drip system lines like gophers. However, if times get real hard, they might be good eating. And they are not treated with antibiotics, either, as the groundskeeper pointed out.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

That's true roybird but their colonies do tend to carry the Black Plague.

At least there's only one photo of "wild" horses and they are on the other side of the continent. I'm rather embarased to live in a state the chose an invasive species for it's quarter. DH thinks they should be running through a field of cheatgrass with pigeons flying overhead. I photographed one with a brand from a ranch three counties away last summer. As if it just escaped one day and wandered 400 miles by itself.

Santa Fe, NM

Oh, yeah, the plague. But we're used to that! In fact, that is one reason why I am not so in love with the cute little rodents. On the other hand, Gunnison's prairie dogs are endangered. People feed them vegetables and get very attached to them here. I'm neutral on them. Like them as coyote food, to be honest.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

If you cook them you kill off the plague as well. Just be careful not to handle them if there are fleas or mosquitos.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I don't think I could eat a prairie dog because I like them. I know I'm WAY behind on the photo contest but COOL FUNGI!!! What a deadly new catagory for fungii and I'm also luving the seed pods which I'm particularly fond of. I'm soooooooo glad Dave made more catagorys. I think people are entering pics that they might not of before!

the fungi category was cool!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

So far I have avoided looking at the photo contest because I am trying to completely redo our database for the business, which is a most tedious project. I figure the photo contest could quickly overwhelm my desire to type and rearrange endless streams of minutiae so I have been making myself behave in order to get this done.

For awhile. Sooner or later, I will go have a look, and you people keep tempting me, that is for sure.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It will make a nice reward, to let your self see all or part of the contest at milestones in your project. I do that when I have things I need to to that I really don't want to.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

DwiD, it is good of you to admit that, and clear the way for all of us admitting it. "I do that when I have things to do that I really don't want to". That seems to be true of all of DG for me...

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Now, that just sets me chuckling. When I'm on DG a lot, it's either because I have no work (which hasn't happened in the last 7 months, until now) or because the text I'm translating howls with tedium.

Santa Fe, NM

Generally there is something I "should" be doing but this is such a nice diversion. Plus, right now I do not want to look at the roofing mess.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

"Howling with tedium" is such an interesting concept, does it howl because it cannot stand being so irredeemably tedious? Or does it make you howl? If so, that would certainly be an entertaining break in the tedium, no?

I personally am in favor of evicting "should" from the language as I have never been able to find much use for it.

but maybe this guy says it best:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Cool saying, Kyla.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hoorah for Buddah!

Santa Fe, NM

So true!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Kyla, the text itself is howlingly tedious, which is a form of entertainment, yes, for the perverse mind.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

such as mine. ;-) bless you for your patience with it, Picante.

Santa Fe, NM

I think this is the last day to vote for hoses! Photo contest almost over! I'm ready to buy calendars for Xmas presents. I will try not to get carried away this year and buy early because Zazzle lowered prices almost daily last year, as it got closer to Christmas. So, I will be restrained. Uh Huh.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It is the last day and I FINALLY finished. Birds was brutal for me to cut this year.

Santa Fe, NM

Birds were So Hard! Macro was hard! Butterflies and Moths were almost impossible! There were some pictures that had gotten in to the wrong categories, I think, so they didn't stand out as well as they might have. But, it is really up to the person putting them in the contest, what category they chose. And you can't really know sometimes. Wow! What great photos this year!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It was certainly fun though.

I am so looking forward to seeing the calendar!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey D J congrats on your win!!!!!! I havta confess I do not recall the picture actually as I looked at it too long ago and brain has spilled contents several times since then but I did take note you won one as did Katlian -- all the photos were fabulous and I liked the winners better this year than last.....

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.