November in the Garden

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Hope everyone had a fun Halloween. Time to showcase your November blooms here. The start of daylight savings time for some of us here in the United States signals the end of any gardening after work since it gets dark at 6 PM. My brugmansia finally decided to bloom.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2009 12:08 AM

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thats awesome soils!

One of my Christmas cactus decided to bloom. Happy holiday season.. the kickoff begins.. most of my bloomers will be house plants from now until spring! Or maybe whats surviving in the greenhouse.. but dont expect much from me!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Christchurch, New Zealand

I have so much work to do today...
plant a rhododendron that hubby picked up for me - on special for $9.99, I couldn't let that go.
I have two clematis as well that were on special two weeks ago but with going away to Aussie for a break & then rotten weather when we came home they are still waiting to go in.
The grass needs cutting again - our new green waste bin is just being delivered now so no excuse for not doing it.
Although the skies are very threatening - we may have rain shortly.
Need to get some photos as the garden looks very different now with spring flowers just about finished & summer blooms coming on.

iris - noid
slightly darker blue than the one in the background.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

this is the one seen in the background of the previous pic

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Azalea

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Dalfyre, you will keep November alive with all that and then some for sure! SO lovely dear!

this is my peony bloom, it will start to drop petals any day know but I though you may like to see my old fashioned tape measure with inch measures up against it.
it really is that size - no forced perspective involved ^_^

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

A friend of mine sent me a box of red peony tubers this fall. I got about 4 of them into the ground so far - hope my blooms will good as good as yours. I remember you telling me which zone you are in, but I don't remember. Would you mind repeating that information for us with constant senior moments?

lol - I don't know what zone it translates to but we have cold frosty winters & hot dry summers - normally!

http://www.christchurch.org.nz/About/

if you scroll down this page will give the temperature & rainfall figures

using Wiki I found this info

Christchurch has a dry, temperate climate, with mean daily maximum air temperatures of 22.5 °C (72.5 °F) in January, 11.3 °C (52.3 °F) in July.
The summer climate is often moderated by a sea breeze from the Northeast, but a record temperature of 41.6 °C (107 °F) was reached in February 1973.
A notable feature of the weather is the nor'wester, a hot föhn wind that occasionally reaches storm force, causing widespread minor damage to property.

In winter it is common for the temperature to fall below 0 °C (32 °F) at night. There are on average 70 days of ground frost per year.
Snow falls occur on average once or twice a year in the hill suburbs and about once or twice every two years on the plain.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

hmmmm - sounds quite a bit like our Mediterranean climate with the dry summers. But, you get a lot more frost days than we do - we get maybe a dozen days, unless we have a freakish year. So, your area would be great for peonies who do like winter chill. I am just on the borderline of being able to grow peonies - I have some good years, some so-so years, but I do have some blooms every year. With that many ground frost days, you must have to dig up your dahlias? I can leave everything in the ground without worries about frost damage.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, that peony is lovely! Pink and red peonies make such great cut flwoers for drying! When dry, they mimic a rose! They will hold their color for a nice period too.

Today I have ice on the water.. just a thin sheet. But the sun is coming up so it should be a nice fall day again here.

Im starting to miss the blooms as fall wains already!

Dont stop the show dalfyre! You are our inspriation to get through th e
nasty winter coming in here!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

viola!

well sad news on my iris, we had a howling nor'west this morning & that darker blue flower spike snapped off at the base.
Some people here lift their dahlias, I know you are supposed to but MeeMum leaves them in place & they do just fine.
I know a few other gardeners who leave dahlias in the ground, I have never bothered with them because of the whole lifting thing & now that I know I could just leave them I have no room for any.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, get that iris in a vase, it might just open for you!

Sorry you had bad weather! Ours is holding pretty good.. its sunny again today so I just might do a little yard work this afternoon.

too late... it is a sad & wilted thing now.
will have to put into the green bin.
at least the other two survived

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Awwww shucks...! Well, nexttime, you know!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well this sure is a cheery thread with the temps and rain we are having! Thanks. We are expecting a warmer weekend perhaps in the upper 60's - will try to take a pic of some leaves and twigs ^_^

You are welcome to pop over to the Aussie forum...
lots of lovely pics to cheer you up :)
And such a variety of gardening styles - from the tropics to the temperate zones...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1052659/

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, you should have some sun. I am sending it your was ASAP! May as well share that wealth~!

Well heres my ambrosia grass... plumes anyone?!

thanks - the sun is shining now, it is a beautiful day

Thumbnail by dalfyre

We are a day ahead down under so it is Remembrance Day for us...
I was pleased to see poppies in my garden to mark the day

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7260780

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Went out over the weekend and was quite pleased with the amount of color there still is in the garden. Azaleas - blooming out of sync - thinks it is spring LoL

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Gardenias - blooms sporadically over 6 months after the big spring flush

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

yellow echinaceae and rudbeckia

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

white ginger - down to it's last few blooms

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Abuliton - this is another really long bloomer - 6 months and still going

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

My rose that I still have not found the proper name for yet. The flowers in the spring are more coral and salmon, in the fall, more reddish.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

and a pink sansaqua camellia

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

WOW soils, you really do have som e late bloomers there!

I acquired about or 3 varieties of mums... sorry no pic at this time.. they are however waining in their color. I had some great timing at a nursery where he was cleaning off his shelves and giving them free. I got about 30 of them and they are all bushel basket size and got a flat of pansies on a really good buy.

Other than that about the only thing "blooming" are fungi. The leaves are almost all down and well, I find a danderlion or two but thats it!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I have malva still in bloom, i swear that stuff blooms continually from spring to winter.
Dianne you sure have a lot of late bloomers and pretty ones at that.
BB, I have single handedly killed dozens of mums, all kinds, all sizes, all colors, all seasons and have vowed never to buy another. Bet yours are pretty this season, betting yellows, coppers and a burgundy there somewhere?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, BB and Candee. I have spent the last couple of years looking for flowering plants with the description "blooms until frost." I am lucky in that our frost date is normally so late.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, I have killed plenty of mums too.. used to raise some 70 varieties of them... but who could resist a freebie!

Anyway, my last hoorah now or so I think is this pank tea rose...

We will not count the mums because they are not planted in the garden! Maybe next year, that is if I get any to survive!

And the violas and pansies.. I thing those will win for in the garden here.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Moss blooming!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Nice mossy there BB.
Here is one of my grasses looking quite fallish!

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Behind the fountain

Thumbnail by haighr
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

OooooOooooH thats lovely!!!!!

Me mum! Thanks to Leo!!! Whoooohoooooo

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Tiny little blossom yet some lovely!

my peony - not as big as past years...