CLOSED: it's that time o'year agin' - - Dwarf Poinciana !!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

SORRY - - This offer is now closed . . .

Dec 1, 2009

aka:   Pride of Barbados, Peacock Flower, Red Bird of Paradise, Flamboyan-de-Jardin

botanical:   Caesalpinia pulcherrima
syn:   Poinciana pulcherrima

DG plant info:   http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2247/

I will pick as many seed pods as will be needed to fulfill member SASE requests or trades promised up to the time I closed this thread.  So, if the thread is still open, please don't post on this thread questions such as "Do you have any left?"

Whenever the supply runs out, I will close this thread right away.  Until the thread is closed, yes, I have more Dwarf Poinciana seeds left and, yes, I will send a packet to you . . .

Each packet will contain at least 20 seeds.

What I need from you:

A self-addressed business-size envelope (SAE) or a self-addressed bubble envelope (SABE) enclosed with 61¢ in LOOSE U.S. postage stampsPlease do not affix the postage to your return envelope.  Thank you.

Mark the lower left corner on the outside of your enclosed return envelope with the words:   ''Dwarf Poinciana'' just to help me from becoming more confused than I already am.  Thank you.

My postal addy == >   http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/view.php?user=LazLo

If you can't see the DG address exchange, send a DMail for my postal info,
using this link == >   http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pmail.php?q=LazLo   and request my postal mailing address.

A T B T Y !       ~       £az£o     ;--)

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 8:46 PM

Thumbnail by LazLo
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

woohoo me please!
Katrina

My sasbe went out today!

This message was edited Oct 31, 2009 1:38 PM

Center, TX

Lazlo, me too. I'll get the envy out today. Thanks alda

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

You can count me in... DO you still have an envelope with my name on it? lol you share the best seeds... feel free to keep it there and what ever seeds come available stick a few of them in there for me... When the seed collecting days are over send it to me... Next spring I'll share my daylilies with you for all your kindness... Trish

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Woah- how cool are those! Supposedly hardy in my zone... oh yeah, I'm in! Will get an envelope in the mail today. Thanks, LazLo! :)

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Count me in Lazlo, I love seed trading with you.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Me too!!!

Envelope mailed! :)

Thumbnail by the1pony
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Me, please.
Thanks

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
North, TX

Sending envelope. I've read this will overwinter fine in my zone with protection. It's so pretty!

Cute pony & mule pics!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

this one is a great favourite of mine - - in fact, this is the first type of seed i ever offered on DG, lo' three years ago . . . they are all over Austin, some folks try to hijack the common name calling it the "Pride of Austin".  in the garden centers quite a lot of confusion comes from the custom of calling it "Red Bird of Paradise" . . . of course it has absolutely nothing in common with either of the real Bird of Paradise species of Strelitzia,  known as Crane Flower and Giant Bird of Paradise.

Thumbnail by LazLo
Zapata, TX

I would love some of these, I see them all over town and they seem to do good down here, someone send me seeds for a solid yellow one, I planted them and they are doing great, what color are yours, red or orange? I sent you an envelope, thanks

This message was edited Nov 1, 2009 10:58 AM

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

uh-oh they have an orange one too? I'm gonna be in trouble! I want one in every color now...LOL

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Noemi - "the yellow ones" are an entirely different species that is indiginous to Texas . . . the "Desert Bird of Paradise" or "Yellow Bird of Paradise". Botanically, Caesalpinia gilliesii, which love FULL sun and are very drought tolerant . . . though they do not have as high a yield of peapods as do the ones in this offering.

This offering is for Caesalpinia pulcherrima - - with yellow and red flowers - - which from a distance, of course, look orange - - Hook'em 'Horns !!! These will probably do better in The Valley when in an exposure to the morning sun and then some shade in the afternoon, however full sun will work if the plant gets watered very regularly. I once wrote that Austin was next to the Gates of Hell. Where you are is smack dab in the middle of it. LOL!

Since your C. gilliesii is doing well, you might consider offering your seed harvest by making it available on your HAVE trading list here on DG.

My yellows are only a few inches high . . . planted a half dozen of them in a cluster, so maybe next year I will have plants blooming and yielding a few seed pods . . .

ATBTY ! ~ £az£o

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm in! I'll get my envelope out in the next couple of days.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll get mine out tomorrow.

larkie

Robstown, TX(Zone 9a)

I would love some! Am sending you your postage requests today.
Thanks !

Zapata, TX

Hey Lazlo, my "yellow ones" are also just a few inches high too, planted them just a few weeks ago and I have 10 of them, but won't be planted till early spring. I do know that the ones you are offering will do good here, there are a couple of them in an abandoned house in full sun,they are not being watered at all, and they look really good, so... I've been Austin a few times and loved it, and you are right Zapata is right right smack dad in the middle of it, I may compain but I wouldn't go anyplace else, I love my little town. Can't wait to get the seeds, thanks Noemi

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I mailed my envelope today!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I would like some of those please.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

sure 'nuff, Corey.

Thumbnail by LazLo
Center, TX

Lazlo, rec'd your seed today. Do I need to soak them overnight? And when to plant? alda

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Lazlo
There is a solid yellow Caesalpinia pulcherrima (I may have sent you seeds). It is not the same as the Caesalpinia gilliesii.

Here is a photo of mine.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7058782

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Mailing my envy!

Dayton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Lazlo, I just cant resist, even though its not hardy here I will treat it as an annual and save seed, Its gorgeous, Maybe it will reseed it self, Im sending envie to day.
Donna

North, TX

Just received my seeds! You are wonderful Lazlo!

I was just reading that the Dwarf Poinciana will tolerate temps outdoors in the 20's. Here's a little info page:

www.rareflora.com/caesalpiniapul.htm

Orangeburg, SC

I would like some. Will send SABSE.

Deebie

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I got yout seeds, but the Postal Dept. had me a note "We're Sorry, That your Atical was damaged in processing"
not the first letter I've gotten from them like that either. But I got the seeds.On a rainy day in Georgia. Whew!

Appreciate it.
Charleen

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

«☼¿☼»

How to germinate seeds from Caesalpinia genus plants

1.   Locate the area where the seed was attached inside the pod - - usually this is where the seed is a bit 'pointy', but if the seed is round or square in shape look for a tiny round area where the seed coat appears darkest.  With the tip of a pen knife or paring knife, slightly scarify (nick) the seed coat - - no more than to expose the very light coloured inside of the seed.  If you don't like using knife tips while holding small seeds, another means of scarification that works well is to rub that same area with an old emory board (or other fine sandpaper material) to expose the seed germ.

2.   Next, soak the scarified seed(s) for about 12 hours (overnight) in water.  Your seeds will become plumper and the hull will be softer.  If not softer, let the seeds soak for another 12 hours.

3.   You won't be able to see it at this point but your seed has already begun to germinate, thanks to getting a bit of moisture inside the hull.  Now's the time to sow the seed(s) in moistened soil.

Quoting:
I usually dust the top of the container(s) with ground cinnamon - - just a slight dash to each 2 in. pot in the seed tray.  Then I stir the cinnamon into the soil and wet it down thoroughly.  Cinnamon is a natural anti-fungal agent, retarding or even preventing the occurence of "damp off" - - the #1 killer of seeds in the earliest stages of germination.

Back to sowing - - Seeds from the Caesalpinia genus require sunlight to fully germinate.  Sow your seed(s) only half-way into the moistened soil, the scarified end down into the soil, the rest mooning the Sun.

4.   Mist the seed(s) well, at least twice daily until the sprout pops up to a height of about 2 inches, then you can top-water once a day until the seedling tosses off the seed hull - - do not pick it off yourself, please.  Once the plant has shed the seed hull, begin to wean the plant away from daily watering, until you are watering only once a week.

«☼¿☼»

Thumbnail by LazLo

Very helpful tutorial to get all of us started. Maxine rules!

My envy's in the mail.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Got my seeds today! Thank you so much!

Orangeburg, SC

Thanks Lazlo. I received my seeds this weekend. I can't wait to plant. Thanks for the info., too.

Deebie

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I would love to give this a try...... should I wait til Spring to try to germinate the seed? Looks like they might survive in my zone 7b on some winters, but not every winter. Does anyone keep them over winter in pots?? just wondering how you go about that - i do not have a greenhouse..

Envelope going in the mail today,

Thanks
Genna

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Genna - they are tough and hardy down to 10°F . . . you may need to cut their stalks down to the ground and mulch them heavily for the winter, though . . . once the root system is well established the stalks will grow back rapidly every year.

begin the germination about 6 weeks before your last spring frost if you can do so indoors, else wait until that last spring frost has past and your outside temps are consistently above 55°F

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

LazLo, can they be grown in pots indoors? are they poisonous to animals? (cats in particular)
Mickey

Hmm... I wonder how they'd do with winter-sowing in milk jugs. Anybody tried that with these?

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Got mines today!! Thanks for sharing : )

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

the Caesalpinia genus are peas . . . and they are a food staple on Barbados . . . i collected some green pods this year and cooked 'em up as if they were baby lima beans - - hmmm, good!

and i do not know with a certainty about whether they kill cats who naturally would want to play with seeds after they pop from the pod . . . though i don't want to meet the cat that can bite through one of these seed hulls. put a mussel on that monster! LOL!

they can be grown indoors in containers if you want to constantly be pruning the plant . . . as with a bonsai

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks LazLo, I appreciate your information.

Thanks Lazlo, mine came today. You're too much!
And oooh yes I love peas, now that I'm supposed to be a grown-up...lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.