It's Boojums Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Just got the internet back up, good grief, I thought I would miss this.

Well, it's Kathys birthday, anyway. I don't know when Boojum (the pup) was born.

Happy birthday to a wonderful plantsperson, irisarian, photographer, and best of all friend.

Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Happy Happy Birthday Kathy and may all your Iris Bloom with abundance.

Thumbnail by rebloomnut
Lebanon, OR

Happy Birthday Kathy, may your iris bloom as beautiful as you are!

D

South Hamilton, MA

Happy birthday from a computer user who doesn't do photos very well. think of your favorite iris & assume it is a post.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Wow, shucks, thanks for being my iris friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm having trouble thinking of my favorite iris, Lucy. You have sent me a slide show!
Polly, Boojum the pup was born in December.

Raleigh, NC

Happy Birthday Kathy! (sorry I missed this earlier) may the borers leave you alone to see many many more birthdays!

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Happy belated birthday! I hope you had a nice one!

Thumbnail by Mshadow
Winnsboro, TX

Happy Birthday from me too. I must confess, I thought Polly was messing with Bonjon and saying her name like it was Halloween Boo-Jum and so when I ran across your name I clicked on it and noticed we are talking about 2 different people. Old age gets me in trouble alot of time. (grin) My brain doesn't work very well if it works at all.

Happy Belated Birthday to you,
Happy Belated Birthday to you,
Happy belated Birthday dear iris lover,
Happy Belated Birthday to YOooouuuuu, and many more!

I visited your journal and was touched by your story of divorce and all your wonderful plants being replaced by grass. I too suffered something along the same line due to a divorce and when I went back to look at the place their was no flowers, plants or grass just dirt and trash. It was an old victorian house and I had won garden of the month every year for years and years and then the people who ended up with the home turned the yard into a junkyard with wrecked cars, trucks, torn up farm equipment, and pallets piled everywhere. I cried all day after seeing it and although the home had been in my family for over 100 years I've never been back to see it. I know that the home itself will look as bad as the yard now. It just makes me sick to think of all the beautiful flowers, plants, blooming trees, and so forth that these nuts drover over, didn't water, and didn't appreciate. I should have just left the home to the city for them to use as a park or something. We learn the hard way that everyone doesn't appreciate the beauty of gardening as much as others. These people never watered a single thing, just made me sick to think of all the money I spent on plants that they just let die in no time.

This is the 3rd home I've planted tons of plants at. Each time I say I'm never going to do all that work again, I'm getting too old. Of course I have to eat those words because I just wouldn't be happy if I was not surrounded with tons of flowers blooming and gracing my humble home.

I forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed looking at all the pictures of your beautiful home and plants. I can invision how beautiful the inside of your home is and I can see that the orchids would love all the windows you have in the home. It's fun just thinking about how beautiful they are setting around everywhere.

Once again, Happy Belated Birthday!
Marian another Iris NUT!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

LOL Marian,

Am I getting a bad rap for doing 'The Name Game"? You will never trust me now?

Winnsboro, TX

Ahhh I'll trust you Polly, I just won't be able to throw ya. LOL
That's what makes this group so much fun to talk/type to. You never know where anyones going with the next post.

I guess I've been sleeping or something because I don't think I've ever seen Boojum post here on the iris forum. Like I've told all of you before I wake up in a new world everyday. LOL

Happy Gardening, Marian
P.S. I guess Dee's busy working on her quilt tonight. I'm going to go watch a volleyball game of t.v. Texas and Texas A&M are playing one another. I make a bet with ya, a Texas team is going to win.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Boojum and I, and some of the others are beardless iris lovers. Here's one of her threads Marian. Lots of great pics on here. Look at the picture when you get to it of her whole garden. Gorgeous!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/985796/

Hi Marian. I haven't posted much since the Japanese iris have stopped blooming. That's the end of iris season here. My journal is a bit of an embarrassment since I never even got to this garden (also my 3rd). I feel your pain about your lost garden and family house!! Hope you enjoy my pics that Polly posted. You'll see lots next year since I've gotten tons more from Polly that will hopefully ALL bloom the very 1st year!! I say I don't like beardeds but don't believe a word I say since I have plenty of them!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Boojum won the photo contest for Garden Landscapes last year. Here's a lovely picture of her garden.

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2008/winners.php?catid=298

Raleigh, NC

that is just about the prettiest garden picture I've ever seen, Boojum!

Thanks, bonjon! Maybe someday you can see it in person. This year the light streaming pic was in July so I never know when it will happen!

Winnsboro, TX

Oh wow, I loved looking at all those photos in the contest. I just loved the light in yours Boojum. It looked like a dream or something from a fairy tale.

Great gardens, great photos, and great people here.
Happy Gardening, Marian

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

That photo is truly heavenly!

Happy Birthday, Boojum!

Thank you!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Boojum, that photo and garden is magnificent. They all were and makes you think, "How good are you really?"

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree, Sharon. All the gardens pictured are so beautiful. I keep looking at them, and striving to have a garden that lovely.

Mine is actually the most like the last picture.

What I really love about Boojums is she knows just how to put the right thing in the right place, and give it the right space. I can get the right thing in the right place, but then I always pack more plants in, and they don't stand out as much. Sometimes less is more.

But as you know it's a struggle to maintain space and keep to the plan. And I move things a lot but no one knows that! So they think that I have amazing planning abilities but the plants dictate where they want to be. My beardeds for instance are mostly in a terrible place (wet with poor drainage) and I lose them constantly but I haven't found where I want to move them yet! It will be a big project to give them clumping space. I should have done it this August but I was digging the sib bed and they are my true love.....Besides I haven't figured out what would like to be in the poor drainage bed that isn't too tall. If I'm inspired about the replacements I might prioritize. I thought of hellebores maybe. Love their foliage. Any ideas?

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

How about Primula spp.? Perhaps some of the creeping willow spp. I'll bet you could get away with the Himalayan maidenhair fern (Adiantum venustum), 6-8".

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Primula, good idea Rick, and hellebores if it's a little shady. I've got a few hellebores left of the ones I crossed. Did I send you any of those? They are double flowering. Various colors.

I move plants a lot, also. Jusgt got to get that need for space in between down pat.

Westminster, SC(Zone 7b)

Happy Belated Birthday

Thanks, Lee and thanks for the suggestions.
BTW, I have my hellebores in lots of sun and they are so beautiful, I haven't cut them down yet. Maybe I can get a pic. That's why I thought of them. This area is half day sun and moss likes it. I lime it madly for the beardeds to no avail. There are tall Caesar's Brother sibs, cimicifuga and a shortish pink species-looking azalea in back and a large dwarf JM to the right and a tall tree-style pruned burning bush to the left. Gosh, I'll take pics! Polly, I have 2 hellebores from you but I don't think I have any doubles. But I'd have to see them cause as you know, I tend to dislike double anything. I think the fern would be too much detail texture since there are Japanese grasses sprouting out from under the dwarf JM (who said I leave lots of spaces??). And I have a garden of maidenhairs under my giant weeping cherry. I have at least 50 primula in my shade garden so I would tend to put any new ones there where they thrive. Polly knows how insanely fussy I can get till I decide....

Raleigh, NC

OK, that does it, next year I may go to alumnae reunion just west of Boston - I want to see this garden of boojum's! how far are you from Framingham area?

Tomah, WI

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!! Sorry I missed it.

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Raleigh, NC

just gorgeous Mattsmom - which one is it? gotta know a name! adore the dark blue.

Thanks, mattsmom. That is beautiful!
Here are my hellebores. Aren't they gorgeous?? It took a few years for these plants to flourish. Two are from Polly.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2009 6:58 PM

Thumbnail by boojum

Here's the area that I'd like to change.

Thumbnail by boojum

Oops there's also a hosta in the middle front. Tall sibs in back etc.

Thumbnail by boojum

Here's a peek at the area in June. Unfortunately it doesn't show much. I'll keep looking.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2009 7:19 PM

Thumbnail by boojum
Raleigh, NC

man boojum, you've got beauty AND space. I'm turning green.

BTW, I'm almost 2 hours away from Framingham. But I'd love to show you my gardens if you have time while you're up here.

Thumbnail by boojum
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Happy Belated Birthday Boojum!

We're wishing you another year
Of laughter, joy and fun,
Surprises, love and happiness,
And when your birthday’s done,

We hope you feel deep in your heart,
As your birthdays come and go,
How very much you mean to us,
More than you can know.

Edited to say sorry I'm so late!

This message was edited Oct 31, 2009 4:41 PM

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I forgot you had that thing about doubles. Especially since some of your likes were JI doubles, LOL. But these hellebores are definietly floofy doubles and I'd doubt you'd like them then. Victor posted a picture of one, but darned if I can find it.

That's a beautiful area. I'm sure you're going to do it well.

Winnsboro, TX

I just want a room with a view. I want an extended stay with no dead line to leave. Ahhh shoot fire shuckins, I just want to live there and enjoy her gardens and her beautiful home. I know, I'm dreaming but after working outside all day and planting more pansies and snapdragons than I care to remember I'm pooped. My feet are killing me again so I guess I'll get out the frozen pop bottle and roll them under my feet again. It really does help! I just with I knew why my feet hurt so darn bad.

Keep posting all the photos so we can all drool together.
Happy Gardening, Marian

Gosh!! Thanks for the poem HappyJackMom! Some days I think we should start a B & B, lovelyiris!! That barn is our home. We rent the house now.

Thumbnail by boojum
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Marian, I think you and Dee need to head to Las Vegas with your DHs. Our weather is beautiful. I have two guest bedrooms and he weather is beautiful... The children are coming home for Christmas so you would have to be gone by December 22 or be here with another 25 people. . That is two months in the SW sunshine. Just think about it. I mean it. If you can get here I will take care of you. Remember I have a Doctor son. Be well and happy.

Tomah, WI

Boojum- Your property is gorgeous! Love that you live in a barn. There is a local family that has renovated an old barn here that is just stunning! The iris pix is of World Without End from Cooleys.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.