Mexican feather Grass

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

We've had the worst year for the garden. Unbelieveable drought and heat, followed this last month with days of rain. My Mexican feather grass looked good during the drought but now some is totally brown and when I touched it some pulled totally out of the ground. I guess it has rotted but was wondering if anyone knew if it will come back from roots that may still be alive underground? I thought the drainage was pretty good in those beds. Other things like rosemary,salvias etc are doing just fine.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

The whole clump? I usually groom mine by gathering it put in a "ponytail" then pull out the dead blades from around the base. Sometimes I will have the majority will die leaving only a small piece then the next season that small piece grows and fills in.

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

BigRed, thanks for the reply.It looks like what you described may be happening with some of them.There were tiny,tiny good roots coming out from a few of them that still had a few green strands.I pushed them back into the ground And I'll keep an eye on them to see if they fill in like they do for you....But there were others that were completely brown and you could knock them out of the ground by just brushing against them. There are tiny seedlings throughout the garden that seem to be ok, so maybe these plants just aren't as tough as I once thought and I need to not be diligent about removing all the seedlings I get since I may need to move them around to replace those I may lose each year. It just surprised me to lose so many all at once,but I guess that's part of gardening!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I find the stippa to be a bit short lived but it will leave behind seedlings to replace themselves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.