Radishes for 2010! Anyone growing them?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I love easter eggers! Those are yum! And yano, that white one I was thinking was a French breakfest must have been the globe one in the Easter Egg mix! Got the fool things mixed up! Thanks D for mentioning those! That is some mix there!

Burpees had some last I saw!

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I just made some beef and vegetable stir fry with make believe water chestnuts.....sliced icicle radishes. I added them in just before turning the heat off and they were still crunchy. I'm so glad to have thought of it.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

twiggybuds, thats a neat idea! Would have never thought of it!

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

It was purely a lucky accident. I pulled them yesterday and they were wilting on the counter because I didn't get back out to pick lettuce. You'll like it. Those water chestnuts are expensive and I don't buy them very often.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

if you climate is warm --WaterChestnuts are easy to grow, --and Kitazawa, and Johnnys have the "watermellon " radish seed

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Territorial and High Mowing Organic seeds have it too. Territorial calls it "red meat" radish.

Helena, MT

Couple of radish questions: (1) Seied Viability? I purchased 1,000 Scarlet Globe Seeds three years ago and they are still producing. I store them in a saved night crawler worm container in the frig. Any ideas on shelf life of radish seeds? (2) How about freezing radishes for winter salads...any suggestions on a method?

When I was a kid about half a century ago, mom made radish sandwiches with real butter. Can't say that I was crazy about them, but when your poor what does it matter!

Mraider3, I remember radish sandwiches with butter(we had cows and made our own butter). A neighbor from Switzerland makes a great open face sandwich with crusty bread (like french or italian), cream cheese, radishes and arugula. Very yummy and is a good snack in the middle of the afternoon with fresh radishes and arugula from the garden.

Helena, MT

Would wager most folks don't know what home made butter tastes like...and it's white too...not yellow!!! You're the first person I have come across that had ever heard of a radish sandwich. Cream cheese sound pretty good too. Arugula...isn't that the original lettuce that is sometimes used with Romaine lettuce in Caesar salads?

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Calalily! I remember my great grandmother loved a similar sandwich. Your description just brought it back to me (I was very young when my great grandmother would have been eating such a sandwich). This will add new dimention to my radish/beer Friday night nosh!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Butter.. oh yeah, nothing like it. Course some kids my age was eating lard. instead. Now that was "health food", non of this generic C*ap!

I remember when butter was white! I think I read somewhere that people added carrot juice to make it yellow sometimes. Arugula is spicy, I don't know if it is in a caesar salad though.

Blossombuddy, lard actually has less cholesterol than butter! I use it sometimes half and half with butter in a pie crust. It makes the crust soooooooo flaky. Down here they use lots of lard, especially in flour tortillas.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

mraider3, You asked how long seed would, here is a list, I'm sure there are others on the net.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/story.php?S_No=466&storyType=garden

Dwight

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

Cherry Belle is one of my favorites. I like growing them in the Fall best, but they do well in Spring too.

Helena, MT

Dwight, thanks...good URL on seed saving...short and to the point. TYVM

Although I have saved some heirloom tomato, winter squash, and dried bean seeds I have noticed the squash did not breed true. I typically purchase around $100 in new seed each year rather than trying to save seed. I have had problems ordering some seed recently due to shortages which is why I plan to grow more heirlooms. Although I will probably not use much of the seed I saved from last season, I feel it is a good preventative measure against seed shortages which may become prevelant with more people gardening each year. My next DG research project will be on the various methods of seed saving for selected vegetale crops. Thanks again.

morgan

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

some of the problem with old seed is more than just germination, --I have seen a big diference in the plant vigor also, - with some old seed, -- noticable esp in Radish as they grow fast and are easy to compare to fresh seed planted beside them, --

Helena, MT

point taken...out with the old...in with the new
I have always considered garden seed like fishing line....best to replace often with new
I spend about $100 yearly on new seed which is a fraction of the garden budget, but one I don't intend to skrim on.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Diakon, Everest , is great, got my first harvest, --the leaves are tender and mild --I like it better than most lettuce, --what a wonderful salad, -- this is the first time I have grown this one--

Helena, MT

I am building a seed starting stand out of 1-inch PVC pipe and fittings. The design I am using with a few modifications came from the net. My garden seed starting does not start for several more months, but I thought I would experiment with growing some leaf lettuce in a refrigerator crisper bin. Has anyone ever heard of or tried growing radishes this way?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thats a first...!

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

The round radishes ought to work well in a frig crisper. Maybe some baby carrots too. I imagine coaxing along anything through your very long winter is good for your spirit.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I finally found the straight (pure) white round radish I had been looking for.. its called Burpees White., nope, definetly not a rutabager! And definetely not a french breakfeast!

These guys make a salad in themselves, sweet and crisp!

Slice those puppies up ad some creamy white ranch salad dressing and away you go!

There is also the white radish that comes in the Easter Egg blends. Looks similiar....

Was cruising Burpees catalog and thats the one though! Burpees White!

http://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/radishes/radish+burpee+white+-+1+pkt.+%28300+seeds%29.do

http://www.burpee.com/category/vegetables/radishes.do?sortby=default&page=all

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Was just scanning Farmers Seed and Nursery catalog

www.FarmersSeed.com

and came across a giant radish seed.. called a GIANT SAKURAJIMA
Item #S6624 for $1.99 for 1 pkt of seed, did not say how many seeds though....

Hmmm, sposed to get 15 lbs, its an 80 day wonder. Says its supposed to store well for fall and winter use...

Has any one tried this variety?

Better yet, why on earth would you want a radish that big! LOL! BUt anyway, just thought to ask!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

It had better store well at that size! It would take me forever to work my way through it! Sounds like a fun thing to grow for a fair or 4-H project...

Thanks for the link. Always love to look at a new source (for me)--but I'm not able to connect. Is the link good?

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 10:04 AM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thats the link on their catalog, it shouldbe good. You might be getting a popup blocker..

if you are hit the

Ctrl key and the alt key the same time while applying the link.

Should release the popup block.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sakurajima has been around a long time, mostly as a giant novelty. Like many of the oriental radishes, its principal use in in cooked dishes. Use it anywhere you use a Daikon or any of the Chinese or Korean radishes.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a fun one! Do you know if its white meat or dark?

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Ain't got no recipes calling for Daikon or any of the Chinese or Korean radishes.
I don't think I have a Pot big enough for 'em ^_^

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Chop chop! LOL!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I just sowed some rattail radish in an aquarium and am going to see how that works indoors! It will probably not work as it is to warm inside, but what the heck! Dont know until we try!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, here is the radish experiment in drag.. rattails in an aquarium, in January.

The coldest spot I have is on top of a chest freezer. So the silly things are getting the chill factor from the freezer from the bottom up. Its not much, just a little. The lite natural through is the west window. A few inches of potting media in the aquarium, seed sprinkled on top, lightly dusted in and a peice of saran over the ''field" to keep some moisture in for germination.. Time will tell!

Guess in about a month we shall know if this worked! I should have used globe radishes, but it was the only seed I had for now that was expendable.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Now that may be the only container I haven't tried. But I have an unused aquarium so I might have to give it a try. Obviously it doesn't have any drainage holes.
Lisa

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Careful how you water!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

TOO FUNNY, I HAVE GERMINATION in the fish bowl! LOL!

Guess I will have to take the saran off in a couple days. Hope they dont damp off now!

Let see, calulations.. 25 days and I should have edibles that is if I do not kill them before!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Bwa-haaa-haaaaa!!

Radish germs ala fish tank!!

Guess I will have to rotate the tank for better light!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

And thin them out. You might try growing some of the thinnings in a sheltered sunny spot. They'd make it here but it's a long time til spring for you.

My son pulled an icicle radish before Christmas that had a big top but no root. I told him to put it in the compost but he stuck it down in an empty pot. Yesterday I found it, a nice eating size. In case anyone wanted to know, yes you can transplant radishes.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, they should be thinned no doubt on that, but I dont have a place to transpant them especially in my zone outdoors! Maybe if it was closer to 4/19 which is my last frost day I could, but its waaaay to early..... Cannot beleive how fast they popped!

I think after Im done with them I will try some mico greens this way!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Twiggy-Good I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had good luck transplanting root crops. I always put them back if they don't have a root and it never seems to bother them.
Lisa

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Cherriette works well for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.