New bees chit chat thread...Seed Junkies welcome 10/13/09

Hey you guys, my white moon bush just bloomed a purple bloom instead of white. It was a deeper color on the outside of the bloom and lighter lavender toward the throat area. Man, I never saw a lavender one before. Do they cross with anything? All the other blooms were so white they seemed to glow in the dark-white. This was my first lavender one, the bud was dark before it opened.

Thumbnail by mekos
Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Its a beauty mekos....Im sorta partial to purples and pinks tho....The white ones do tend to glow at night.. I saw in a previous thread someone said they had a purple moon plant vine I had never seen one of those before either....

We had a safe trip and a very nice visit with Grannies other sisters....She cant hear it thunder, but her mouth seems to never stop moving ... She is so funny had those people at the funeral home just laughing with stories...Trish

I have purple moon vine seeds if you want some. This is moon bush and always bloomed white. That is why it shocked me when it opened lavender this time. All it's other blooms were white . Glad you made it back safely. Sorry for your loss.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2009 10:20 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi, everyone!

Aha! Now I know why no one was chatting . . .

Just found the new thread - duh!!

Hey mekos - the thread about the brug cuttings - check it out again. Someone is trying to trade Jumping4Joy "Isabella" cuttings for Straw&Cream - maybe you can work out something with that one?

Hey girl, too much rejection in one day isn't good for me. But Hollyhock is looking for those also. Maybe she can get some cuttings. I just got cuttings in the mail today so maybe this will be enough for me this year. Hollyhock sent me a bunch. Well, good night all. Thanks for the info Loca.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

anytime little buddy!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Holly and mekos - I have both Isabella and Strawberry and Cream

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

mekos,
cicada has some white ginger plants she is wanting to trade. I don't know what she wants in trade for them thou. Thought you might want to take a look .

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Now mekos, why didn't you mention to cue you were looking for them? LOL

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Here's a shot for you leaf peepers taken last Monday. Would you believe it, we got 2 inches of SNOW last night! I wanted to get up in the plane yesterday but it was so cloudy gray that we couldn't see, had to stay grounded. The pretty leaves will be likely gone after this storm passes, though we'll still fly if the weather is nice.

Al

"Just around the bend from here"

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 11:08 AM

Thumbnail by lycodad

Beautiful Al! It must be spectacular from the air.

Morning everyone.

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

the leaves are beautiful Al... still a little warm here but the leaves were turning last week when we went up in the Ozark mountain range..They were expecting a frost that night ... that should really start to bring out all the nice fall colors....To bad I wont be back up there to see it ...

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Id love to have a few purple moon vine seeds if you have some to spare Mekos...I have a few cup and saucer vine seeds I can trade ya if you want?

I'd be happy to send you some hunny. Will get them in the mail today. Do I have any others you would like? Can send them at the same time.
Good afternoon everyone. Went out to spread more mulch and got rained out again so just cold and wet around here now. If this keeps up, I'll be doing the back stroke again, or hunting the ark.
The leaves are pretty Al. I can't believe all the snow everyone is getting and it's even getting so cold here. This is not normal weather for us. I can't remember when we've had so much rain. This whole year has been wet. The lakes that were down for years, about empty, are full again.
The brug cutting offer is very sweet Cue, I just didn't want you to have to cut yours back when you don't have to since you are in a warmer place and so many others will, I figured I'd find some being cut back and trade for some of those since they would be cut anyway. But I won't turn down a brug cutting. (especially those 2) Thank you so much, little friend. Do I have anything you would like in rturn? If so let me know.
Well, think I'm going to go get some hot chocolate to warm me up and rest a bit so back later. Hunny if there is any other seeds you would like let me know and I'll send them while I'm sending these. You can send a d-mail if you like. My white morning glory is blooming but havent found seeds on it yet. With all the rain they could have washed off, or birds may have got them. I do have seeds to the white moon vine and the white moon BUSH. So if anyone wants seeds speak now or not. Got lots of seeds mixed from all my Morning glories. So many different colors. My snail vine is blooming like crazy but havent found seeds to it either. Oh well, will check back later.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey guys, I am heading to WalMart right now and they still have a ton of Morning Glory seeds out for 20 cents a pack. Even the white ones "Pearly Gates" Anybody want some? They don't have wi-fi there or I would take my Ipod and tell you exactly what they have. Let me know if anybody wants some and I will get a bunch. I'll be leaving in an hour or two.
;-) M

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

mekos - don't yo go catching a cold on us! Hot chocolate sounds good, except we're gonna be almost 100° today and over 100° this weekend! This is unusual weather for us too. It's cool at night - in the 60s, and normal temps for October are in the low 80s. I hope all the cool weather veggies I have sprouting everywhere will be OK. It will mean I have to water morning and night so the seeds don't dry out - argh! I still have my shade cloth on thank God! Normally I would have taken it down already, but it's been such weird weather I left it up - good thing!

Anyone have any big plans for the weekend?

Hey Mechelle, I'd love a couple packs of those white morning glory seeds. I'll be happy to send you some cash to pay for them. I was watching mine for seeds but they aren't any and Hollyhock wants some seeds. So if you can pick up a couple for me, I'll send her a pack and she will have some, in case mine don't make the seeds in time for me to catch them. Let me know if you get them and how much and I'll send you the money.

Orlando, FL

goood afttteer nooon all
how is everyone doing. well i wish i was getting snow tired of the heat. well off to football just stopped in to say hello
blondie

Hey Blondie Hav Mo Fun!

We miss ya! Hope your boys win tonight!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Been outside raking leaves for a while.. gonna head to the store pretty soon if anyone else wants seeds besides Mekos ;-) M

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I'll try a pack or two of those if you can Mechelle, will trade off for some sunflowers or whatever.

Al

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Gotcha Al

That is really sweet of you Mechelle. Thanks a lot.
Edited to say- Huney I got your envelope ready to go with the purple moon vine seeds and put in several surprise packs. Hope you enjoy them.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 7:51 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mechelle - got the biggest Spider Lily bulbs in the mail today I ever did see - lol. Thanks!

Good night everyone. Back tomorrow and maybe it will be a better day.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Ok Guys I am back and here is what I bought:

3 packs of Morning Glory "Pearly Gates" THE LAST ONES THEY HAD :-O
2 for Mekos 1 for lycodad - GONE

6 Packs Morning Glory "Clarkes Heavenly Blue" 2 LEFT
1- Jerodsmom
1-lycodad
1-locakelly
1-meickle2003

10 packs Morning Glory "Choice Mixed Colors" (pinks & purples) 4 LEFT
1- Jerodsmom
1- Mine
1- lycodad
1-blondhavmofun
1-locakelly
1-Meickle2003

5 packs Cosmos "Sea Shells Mixed Colors" (whites & pinks) 2 LEFT
1-Mine
1-locakelly
1-huneybunch
5 packs Cosmos "Singe Sensation Mixed Colors" (whites, reds, pinks) 2 LEFT
1-Mine
1-locakelly
1- huneybunch
10 packs Shasta Daisy "Alaska" 5 LEFT
1- Mine
1-locakelly
1-jerodsmom
1-meickle2003
1-huneybunch
2 packs Aster "Crego Mixed Colors" (white pink purple) GONE
1- Jerodsmom
1-huneybunch
2 packs Marigolds "French Dwarf Double Mixed Colors" (oranges and yellows) 1 LEFT
1-huneybunch
2 packs Marigold "Safari Mix" 1 LEFT
1-huneybunch
2 Packs Marigold "Disco Mix" Gone
1-huneybunch
1-surprise
1 Pack African Daisy "Mixed Colors- Mine GONE

1 Pack Bachelor Buttons "Polka Dot Mixed Colors - Mine GONE

Dmail me if you want any of them- They were cheap so I'm really not worried about it, but if you send me sasbe I will send them or if you want to send seeds, we'll call it even. I will continue to edit this until they're gone.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2009 1:09 PM

This message was edited Oct 17, 2009 10:55 PM

This message was edited Oct 18, 2009 2:49 PM

This message was edited Oct 19, 2009 9:15 PM

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Ok guys, I got 2 more grow lights last night and have a nice big tray I want to start. Here's what I am interested in starting but need advice. I am starting them in the house but hope they will go in the greenhouse shortly:

Hollyhock
Purple Lupine
Datura
Red Gerbera Daisy

Brugs are poisonous, right?

Thanks guys

Mechelle, ALL plants are poisonous if you eat them so just tell everyone to wash hands after handling them and don't eat them. It's just pets and small children you need to watch out about eating the plants, or putting stuff in their mouth. Christmas poinsettias are poison but people buy them every year. If you check you will find all plants are toxic if ingested so just watch small kids or pets around any plants you have. Thanks for the seeds, would you rather have seeds for them or the price? D-mail me and let me know so we can get it took care of. If I got any you want just let me know, otherwise I'll send you the money. You can start any seeds inside just fine just give them light and place on heat mat to keep warm. When they are big enough to transplant, go ahead and then put in greenhouse. They should do good. Hollyhocks can be planted outside now. They are hardy here. I'm zone 7.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Mekos,
Yeah my Brug looks so beautiful and I transplanted them all into bigger pots today. I have this pretty clay pot I put it in and I wanted to put it on the floor in my dining room but I was worried Roxy & Harley (my mini poodles) might try it and get poisoned. I wanted to choke my SIL because she put one of her avocado plants on the floor and attempted to tell me "oh it's not poisonous".. well maybe it's not, but just like with a toddler you just don't do it- just in case. but whatever. I moved it after she left. >:-) I will dmail you about the seeds. I keep forgetting you are in the same zone as me.

Guys, I have been having a tough day today with my son. He has the "I'm 18 and think I know it all's" I sooo cannot wait until he has kids of his own. I just wanna laugh my head off at him when he is perplexed and frustrated by them and calls me up wanting to know what to do about it, lol... I can see myself right now sitting there with the phone up to my ear lmbo, lol.. But on to plants and happy thoughts! At least they don't talk back! LOL

I haven't ever started seeds outside before. I have a ton of trades going on right now (too many I think) and have to write everything down now so I don't forget anything. I have done 19 trades since Sept 15- crazy huh? Had to get a book and call it "Plant Trades" just to keep it organized. It helps though.

We are finally working on that huge tree stump in front of my walkway. Got it about half down now. DH used the chainsaw while I raked up wood and sawdust and dug around the base of the tree while DS hauled of the grass and dirt from my digging. That alone took half the day. Then we had to move the roundpen. I am pooped and ready for one of our Mojito's before bed. Hagn and talk to you guys tomorrow. I still need to figure out what seeds I am gonna start!

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Thank you mekos for the seeds you have for me( sorry was away for a few days and wasnt ignoring your question about any other seeds I wanted)....I went to the mid south dg round-up yesterday... We had a wonderful time....Wow I got sooooo many plants and now i have soooo much work to do...Those LG beds arent nearly big enough to hold all the things I brought home...I never seen so many plants in need of a new home... The people there was so generous....We had great food and toured an old mill site that had beautiful gardens...

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/Roundup1016172009?auth...

heres a link to some of the photos that were taken the mill pics are towards the bottom...These arent my pics but some one of the ladies posted already...

Mechelle I would love to have some of those cosmos and I bet i have some daylilies I can share with you... I received alot of no name unregistered ones if you would like to have some of those... and some named ones I got more than one of...Im going to get out there later and divied them up and see what all i can get planted...Let me know If you would like some of them I saw you had a thread open looking for daylilies...

Ok my friends I will talk to you later my son is hungry(always) and flowers are begging for some good fresh soil.... Trish

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi huney.. did you say it was a DG roundup? Did you want both packs of each that are left of the Cosmos? I would love any daylilies you could send. I have about 10 ft on the left side to fill and about 15 ft on the right side to fill. Not asking for that much, just sayin', lol. I have a lot of other seeds I could send you also, just lmk which ones you are looking for.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Will some one tell me why Lemon Verbena is so hard to find? Is it rare or something?
I have went to some of the seed COs and can't even find the seed for it.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Haven't a clue Flower but I have lemon verbena if you want me to start you some of it?

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh yes would you please? Can I send you something in return?

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Yes I'll start you some and no nothing in return for it you've already spoilt me enough.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL I have some seed that I would send you if you want. I just got thru cleaning some Purple obedient plants seed and lavender rose of sharon and purple aster BUSH type. I don't have many of each but would share with you.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

No mamm DH thinks I need to work on my seed addiction. Probably cause there's seeds in the refrigertor, seeds in the bedroom, seeds in the bathroom oh and seeds in the china cabinet and more seeds to come in. I told him some are going to Sis next time we visit her but I didn't mention she's getting me more seeds or plants I forget which.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Hello All

Finished planting the rest of my bulbs this afternoon, thanks all for contributing. They are now sleeping comfortably in my garden bed for their long winter nap. I still have one small bag of garlic sets (about 15 bulbs) left over if anybody wants them, just enough to get started. I swap for homemade cookies, you know.

Al

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Now there's a great hint right there, Al!

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

What kind of homemade cookies? I usually start trying new cookie recipes out about this time of the year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.