http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036526/#new

The high priestess and her Loyal followers Brug sprout off contest
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037643/

Thumbnail by arejay59

Hi, it worked for me.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

THank You Jan.....

Worked for me too!

Mekos sent me an awesome package of goodies today. She is a wonderful person!!!! Don't you agree?

I'll look for herbs Arejay! You have a box in the mail so they'll come with the next round. Aren't you the Keeper of the Tribal Atlas or some such thing as that. LOL We miss you.

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Arejay, the new thread worked for me.

I have to tell you I just love this site, I have been spending 3-4 hours a day on here. Between here and Facebook I could spend all day and never get bored,

Everyone have a great day!
Mickey

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Well it is about time we heard from you arejay. I thought you had just forgotten us LOL Now if cue would just show up. She was in for maybe 10 min the other day but not since.:(((((((

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I can feel Cue moving in the direction of the thread as we speak!! I could never forget any of you..Hi Mickey...I think we met just a short bit ago didnt we? Seray I did win a position and boy am I in trouble now. I was being funny with Holly and I won. I am brug troubled let me tell you....

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hello e1!

Mickey, I could spend the WHOLE day on here and never get bored! Glad to see you're here with us.

Arejay, mother dear, yes we missed you.. Glad to see you're back and thank you for the new thread. Love the picture of the "fall harvest".. Very "Autumn-y"

Missed ya Mekos ;-) You are a very thoughtful wonderful person and we all just love ya.

Hi Flower and Seray.. good to see you here too!

Raining here.. grr.. makes me lazy, lol-- But I got a grow light and you guys may think I am crazy, but my seedlings doubled in size overnight! Here is a pic from day before yesterday:

It's red Hibby and Blue Satin ROS .. that one little 3rd leaf on the ROS doubled since last night! Watch--

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's 10 minutes ago..

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Same thing with my Rose Campion and Purple Coneflower..

day b4 y'day ..

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

and today

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's the light- $9 Thank you for the heads up on the light and where to get it guys..

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

HI Everyone. I'm here Robin. Mekos you better watch out I grew up in snow country you just might end up buried in snow you throw that snowball at me. We did bury one of my brothers one winter because he thought he'd be smart and pretend it was a beach out there. Too bad mom made us dig him out before he froze.
Mechelle those lights do make a different don't they? I had to put some baby amaryllis plants under mine today. I forgot about them no water or nothing then started to clean the top of the freezer where they were and thought ooops but they were fine had grown 2 inches in spite of my neglect. I'll do better from now on I promise.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Well, guess I better watch for a grow light! Definately need one here, as I have tons already starting, as it got cold sooner that I expected! Go figure!
Mickey, don't be so quiet! Feel free to throw in your 2 cents worth anytime! We love having you!
Tubby, got the envey sent off to you today with seeds. Enjoy!
Snowball fight sounds like fun! We'll pack some snow in dry ice and send it to some of you so you can play too! LOL
Gotta get some clothes washed for the drive to AZ tomorrow, so gotta go for now.

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

I would watch for a grow light, but my kitties sabotage andy plants I try to grow inside. Does anyone have and thoughts on how to keep cats out of plants? I also have to be careful what types of plants I try to grow inside as some plants are poisonous to cats. I really would like to be able to start seed inside this year but I have no place to put them that the cats cant get to them.

So we have the Tribal Sorceress and the Princess of the Frozen North meeting in AZ! Sounds like trouble to me. LOL Where's Gilda? Drive careful Princess... I mean Skellogg! Have fun you two send us some pics!!!!

Hi Mickey

Haven't been able to keep my cat out. She sleeps on the benches in the middle of my seedlings. I find her curled up in the big Brugmansia pots when I bring them in the garage. She sleeps behind the lights where it's warm. I try to leave her an exit route so she doesn't knock over anything. So far her instincts have kept her from eating my plants. She was on her own for awhile before she came to live with us so she's pretty savvy.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I have three cats. One of them is to old to bother with my plants one is to busy to bother and the other is always in the middle of them. She was a stray almost dead when she arrived. She lays on them in them around them anywhere she can hide for her imaginary attacks on the other two cats who are completely bored with her..

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Miss Arejay, I am waiting for a package from ILJ and as soon as I get it, I will be sending you some newbie seeds. Have you been getting envies from new people in my zone? I have been being a good girl and sending newbie emails.. HAGN guys

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey guys, I was looking around in the hypertufa/concrete forum and found this: It is so cool.. I want to do it!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/575362/

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Mechelle I went over and read that thread and that was so interesting. Makes me want to give it a shot this next spring or summer. I didn't know that masonite was that limber though to be able to bend it into shapes. New one on me LOL

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Flower- Don't you love that heart shaped one? I think it looks so neat with the mosaic look. I was looking on ebay last night and they have paver molds with animals and different designs. I'd like to make some to border my DL bed. It looks easy enough. I know the weather is kinda bad already for some of us but maybe we can start a thread and do some kind of fun contest for next spring/summer.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh Mechelle that is a great idea....it is so much more fun when others are doing the projects. Dont you think? Be sure and post the thread for us when you start the group. Post it on the newbie thread too....
Yes I am getting things from zones that we dont usually get things from. When Flower was doing it by herself and I was doing it by myself we worked off only the front page of new members. I think we are reaching a wider range of people this way.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I think it is more fun when we all do it together and bounce ideas and facts off of each other. That's why we all rock and others are just jealous! LOL I'm feelin' spunky today .. yes in fact we are the bomb .. I will work on some examples over this winter and get a good group thread started..

I agree with you Arejay on sending by individual zone. Gonna go outside and finish mulching my DL bed.. My frost date isn't until Nov 13th, so I still have time! If it would just quit raining so much! Hagd e1

Orlando, FL

wow mechelle,
that looks good my husband is a block mason and builds all sorts of things bet he could do something like that for me, well i have to catch him on a good day, when he likes me lol
he has done alot with pavers, my waterfall a sea wall by our boat ramp. he did a pizza oven for a customer, now i want one
blondie

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

HI EVERYONE!

ok... gotta question for ya's

someone 'splain' to me HOW my mammoth Sunflowers that were supposed to grow to a height of 10 - 12 ft only got to 1 1/2 - 2ft before they started blooming.. and my Chianti sunflowers, that were supposed to get to 4 - 5 ft only got to 12 inches before they bloomed???

what the heck did i do wrong???

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hmm must be mutants Cue

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Cue, good to see you back.

I'm not a real expert on this but I do know that sunflowers grow well in the sun, that is, if they're in the least bit of shade they will be smaller. They also respond to very well fertilized soil, poorer soils will stunt their growth somewhat.

Then you get into the factor of seeds and where they came from, some are taller and shorter than others. They will crossbreed with other sunflowers and some hybrids will become "unhybrid" for the next generation if the seeds are harvested and reused. Therefore the source of the seeds might be your problem.

That all said, I have to say that I really like all sunflowers big or small. Some of the smaller ones are quite attractive, and all are easy for me to grow.

Al

Maybe this will help: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EP325

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Yep - That explains it alright...oh boy...
Thanks Seray LOL

Al

You're welcome Al. You probably have good soil there and they would be easier to grow. Coastal sand like I have and like Cue has needs more nutrition. Dolomite. LOL

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Blondie- I went on eBay and found all kinds of molds. It makes it hard to get a lot done if you only have one mold though and some of them are pricy. I found some for those concrete benches with horses on them. Totally worth it though, especially if you sold a few, it would pay for itself that way. We have a Farmers Market uptown twice a week and I could maybe take a couple of plants and some of the molds to help cover the cost. Can't garden this winter, but maybe I can do that in the garage >:-) Muahhaha, lol
I want to do a "Family Garden". I have been looking up different cultivars with my kids' names, and mine & my husbands. I thought it would be neat if I made them each a stepping stone with their names on it. In that heart border would be cute, don't you think? Wonder if anyone has ever thought of doing a "Family Tree" themed garden. That would be kinda cool.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

It's like a ghost town in here this morning........ Helloooo... Where is everybody?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Mechelle,
Ive been moving computer dusting out from under it having the chimney cleaned, getting my last plant trade of the season done.....It is cold.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Arejay? How are you? It is a little chilly here today, low 60's, but perfect gardening weather for me. I don't really have much to do outside except for work on the last LB I started. I got my first bloom on one of the Brugs jerodsmom sent me :-) So happy.. it's purdy.. The bloom is heavy, too..

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

ok Lyco.. her goes...

the area that both types of sunflowers are in recieve a minimum of 7 hours of direct sunlight a day.

before the seeds were planted.. I worked the soil (erm.. sand) aded, composted manure.. and fertilized the seedlings after they set the 2nd set of true leaves... with an all purpose fertilizer.. could it be that they just dont LIKE me??? or perhaps.. i chose too cheery a flower (even the Chianti) for my otherwise dark and gothic backyard??? maybe they are just depressed and i need to go sing... or smile at them.. or something?

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Everybody likes you Cue, and sunflowers too, regardless of what you think. Maybe the salty or sandy soil is working against you, dunno. I'll send you some different ones if you want to try again. Maybe try potting them in bagged soil instead of in the ground.

Al

HI everyone. Just checking in. It's cold and rainy -got so many boxes and packages of plants and cuttings today. Thank you everyone. Will be planting for a week to get er done. Georgeous bloom Mechelle. I have some about to open, they got the frilly skirt at the bottom showing. Can't wait to see which color they are. Got to be gold or pink. Hollyhock, got the brug cuttings today, thank you so much, Polly sent me so many iris different kinds and some other plants along with catmint and I just can't believe how nice the lasagna bed will look with them all planted there. Good thing I finished it last week. Brandy sent me some beautiful butterfly gingers and spiral gingers, now if I could find some torch gingers, I'd be in heaven. Cocoloba sent me some wax hearts leafs to root and I'm just so doing the HAPPY DANCE here tonight. Couple days ago I got some great seeds from Seray for my cobra lily collection, and I'm just beside myself with joy.Blondie sent me some great stuff and so many others, JUST wait till spring! My greenhouse is full and overflowing with plants. I may have to add an extra room to it. Well, back later. Thanks everyone for all the great seeds and plants. I'm so happy, worried about where to put them all, but so happy.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

HI Everyone Wow Mekos sounds like you hit jackpot.
I'm back to my cleaning almost done one more go at it and I"m finished. Just didn't want to move all the computer stuff to clean but I'll get to it tomorrow maybe. Other than that I've been finishing up some crochet projects. Trying to finish my hardest to see one now. I know one thing that will be the only one I do with sewing thread.
Tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day again I'm going to be digging up plants we are due to get down to 29 Saturday night.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Al - I think what I will do is try again in the spring. I may have planted them a bit too late, even for Central FL. The light path is different this time of year than in spring and summer.. maybe thats it. I dunno...LOl... Im not giving up tho!!! I want big ole sunflowers like you had in the one pic you posted awhile back!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.