October Weather Tricks & Treats Part 2

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Almost 200 posts on old thread, so here we go!

43º turned out to be high today. At least we had some sun.
I got the strings up for the house, so next are the forms for footings.

We came from here;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1043949/

Bernie

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 5:18 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie!

I'm back from the homecoming parade. As Crissy said in her post on the previous thread--no sign of the sun today and it was cold at the parade. The poor "homecoming sweethearts" all had lap blankets across their legs and then of course some of them were wearing strapless dresses--does that make sense? LOL My feet are still cold!

Here's a pic of my DGD in the homecoming parade--she is the blonde on the left in this photo--and that is her natural hair color, by the way--it isn't bleached. She gets that hair color from her mother.

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 6:32 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is my DGS little league football team--riding on a trailer in the parade. I'm glad I live in a small town where parades are still a big deal--even if they do last only 30 minutes--LOL!!

Thumbnail by marsue
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

40°F and dropping quickly. Looks like our first frost is coming tonight. Extended forecast calls for a bit of sun tomorrow then 7 straight days of rain. they seem to change it every day so hopefully it will improve a bit.

I stopped by the Lowes again yesterday and snagged around 70 more gallon sized (or bigger) perennials for $1 a pot. I got Variegated Lilly Turf, coral bells, hostas, hypericum, Moonlight Brooms, clematis, anemones, Pratia and more sedums and ferns.

rann.........Wow! That was some windstorm! Who are the guys running around strapping down the buildings?

marsue.........The girls do look cold! We have a big Halloween parade here. Late Oct. and at night so you can usually count on miserable weather for that one.

Bernie........I went out at sunrise to a local State Gamelands to do some photography and just about stepped on a big ring neck before he flew. Saw some other pheasants as well as a red fox. He's probably eating well.

Joey..........Glad you're ok. My son hit a deer a few weeks ago and totaled his car. He had a little dodge Neon--turbo-charged to boot--and it really did a number on it.

I haven't posted a photo of the GS in quite a while. Here's an updated one.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Two Pumpkins!
GREAT Shot e_b!

Mau I recognized her right off!
Another GREAT shot.... BRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Bernie Thanks!
Hope the weather hold for the forms and pour.
But being up there I'm sure cold pours are a way of life.

chrissy didn't Mt St Helens change elevations a lot just before she blew?
Just joking... pretty much.....

We thought tomorrow would be Plastic Day.
Then our neighbor Jon offered us some OSB and a Ridgecap.
So we are going to continue the back roof to the peak and cap it.
I went up at noon and 4 and looked.....
we won't loose any Sun to that design, it's free materials and will gain more insulation so, no brainer.

We were in the upper 30's this morning, mid 50's and sunny most of the day.
Here I am sheathing the back of the Chase/Storage tunnel.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Rann,
As I remember back in 1980's which I was living in Southern Calif that 100 mph Santa Ana Wind that some roof blew off whole thing and crash into back of the apartments and it real bad one! Then few days later another one came up to 80 mph, too!

Right now is 50* will be later on around 38*...

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 8:36 PM

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

After tonight everything's uphill. High of 60º next Sunday.
This cold was very un-ordinary. Shouldn't be in 20's until early November.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I thought the Autumns would be much colder up there Bernie.
That's not too bad then.
Will you have a crawl space or poured pad?

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Windy again and rain in the forecast, 42°F. 10 m/s (22 mph) winds gusting to 16 m/s (35 mph). Most of the leaves that are still on the trees after Friday's storm are totally ruined so no more fall color glory ...... second year in a row the show is cut short because of storms ........

EB - the guys running around strapping things down are volunteer rescue workers ...... they also go on rescue/ search missions when people get in trouble or get lost up on the highlands/ mountains..... Their biggest fundraiser is the fireworks sales for New Year's Eve. Very cute photo of your grandson :-)

Rusty - wow didn't know the Santa Ana could pack such a punch!

marsue - great photos from the parade :-)

SR's sick with something ..... hope it isn't the flu.

Have a great day everyone!

Another Colchicum, this one's called 'Waterlily'

Rann

This message was edited Feb 7, 2014 1:13 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL! My nails have been red or pink most of the Summer so I went with a Fall color. My nails are painted with OPI “overexposed in south beach”, which is a purple/pink color. I was worn out after the massage. I ended up going to bed around 8:30!

Mau – Your GD is gorgeous and look at that hair! Wow! Our parades are short too.
E_B – Your GS is adorable!

Everyone is cold arnd we are unseasonably hot and humid. August is still here ...

78.3 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 72 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 81 °F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1700 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Now
Through 830 am...scattered showers over the coastal waters will wander towards the shore this morning. The heavier showers were 10 miles east of Amelia Island...onshore St. Augustine and 20 to 30 miles east of Crescent Beach and Saint Simons Island. The showers will move northwest at less than 10 miles an hour.

No rain for over 3 weeks now...painted lady hib

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

EB--your GS is adorable Lots of good neck sugar there :o)) I have restrained myself from making a trip to the nearest Lowe's store (about 10 miles away) -- those are some bargains!
Ric: now you've done it--Crissy is already a basket case about tornadoes and now she'll be looking for a volcano to arise in her back yard! ROFLOL Great cloud patterns in those photos
Rann: hope Selma feels better soon! pretty Colchicum
Sharon: a good massage is always relaxing and makes you want to sleep! nice photo of the hib

I'll gladly send our rain to you, Sharon --it's raining again this morning! grrrrr!
Bernie's "weather liars" have made their way south! They told us we were going to have a week of sunshine - - wrong!! We have rain in the forecast through Thursday!

Clerodendrum bungeii---aka Mexican Hydrangea

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 9:06 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Good Morning!!

LOL Ric I have no idea LOL!! It changed back again.

53.8 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 52 °F
Wind: 1.3 mph from the NE
Wind Gust: 1.3 mph
Pressure: 30.04 in (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds:
Overcast 800 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 583 ft

Today's Forecast:
Look for the rain to continue through the morning and into the early afternoon hours. The more persistent rain will fall in the SE portions of the state through this afternoon, and temps will stay in the mid and upper 60's. Tomorrow we have another wave bringing us more rainfall, and that in turn will keep our temps cool again, highs will be in the lower 60's. The sun makes a return to the state on Friday.

Chief Mike Francis

Wonder if NOAA will be right, if not it's 3 days in a row!

Great pics Mau! Looks like you had fun regardless.

Thumbnail by crissyr

I've been in many earthquakes ya'll, the biggest one was the 1989 San Francisco Quake that knocked a section of the Bay Bridge out, cracked everyone's swimming pools, killed many when the Nemitz Freeway collapsed, some of you may remember hearing about it on the news...?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Chrissy I think you'll be OK on the Vocanos.
The last major eruption in Arkansas was 1.1 BILLION years ago.
So the odds are..... LOL!

Rann that's an aptly named plant!

Cool and foggy this morning.
We should hit 65 today and tomorrow w/ a lot of Sun.
We'll get our rain Weds-Saturday.
Ric

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Criss,

I was there at once never forget about earthquake in 70's, 80's and again 90's... Very scaring to me... As San Francisco in 1906 is bad one... So, I was living in southern California for years (childhood)...

(Zone 7a)

Hello, all!!! I was away for the weekend and had no internet. Wow...volcanoes, storms, rain, sick fish, baby chicks, earthquakes...I shouldn't stay away so long. I can't keep/catch up, so, I won't try.

Darrell and I had to get away. Stuff keeps happening and we needed a break. We went to Mesquite, NV, gambled away money we didn't have, ate too much rich food, drank too much, visited with relatives until too late at night and got up too early. Darrell's DS and BIL own a condo there and they invited us to come and stay for the weekend, which we were more than happy to take them up on. We had fun, although, I had and still have a head cold I've had since Wednesday.

The last straw this week was my daughter Crystal has been diagnosed with cervical cancer. Her Dr. is sending her into SLC this week to have the cancer removed. We don't know how this will affect the baby. The good news is they caught it very early and she has a good chance of recovering. I'll keep you updated on her condition.

53.6 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 33 °F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 16.0 mph
Pressure: 29.83 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Our view from the condo.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Darrell, his sis, Irma and her hubby, Terry.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Some of the countryside.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

More country. It's a desolate area. I wish we had driven through here at sunset. The colors would have been priceless.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh,Celia, Im so sorry about Crystal's diagnosis but glad they caught it early. I was just thinking a
bout her (and you) last night! Sounds like you and Darrell needed a "get-away".
Ric: a billion years? How do they know? Who was around back then? LOL
Crissy-let's hope the weather folk aren't lying this time so that we will have good weather for the RU!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Howdy Do all!

I still have no time to be online, but I'm on a short coffee break and my cup is almost empty already.

Let's see, so far since I've been gone, I've had my teeth cleaned, canned green beans, carrots, hot pepper mix, patty pan squash, chicken broth, pears, grape and apple juice. We've had two birthday parties in September. The boys are now 5 and 3. We pressure washed the house, rescued a few ditch flowers and got poison oak. Went to the Dr. and it's cleared up. I replanted most of the tulips I dug and planted all but the lilys in the pots.

We took the boys to the quarry and filled my garden path with pea gravel. I cleaned closets, cupboards and drawers. I had to admit after 3 years I wasn't going to fit into a few jeans anymore and passed them on. I got a new kitchen faucet and counter top. We got new glasses. We picked 52 buckets of apples with 48 good ones for cider. We got a new ladder! One that unfolds into 5 heights.

We had a funeral for DH's friend in the morning and a visitation for the sister of my kindergarten buddie in the afternoon. Both in opposite directions an hour and two hours away. We made both on time. Now another friend has passed.

We pressed 47 gallons of apple juice and I canned 140 quarts Friday and Saturday. We had to run to Walmart for jars because I ran out. They had them on clearance for $7.00. I grabbed 11 boxes. I'm set for life I hope.

On top of all that, the computer barely works. I announced that when we get a new one, I want a lap top too.

I still have 4 brussels sprout plants to strip, blanch and freeze. I need to mow, and we need to cover the side porch screened in windows with plastic. I picked all my peppers last week.

It's froze, not frosted, twice already, and we've hardly seen the sun. It's cloudy and 40* right now.

Sorry to not comment. I'm afraid to open a picture in case the computer crashes, but nice pictures for thumbnails :o)

Later all!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow,BP-I'm tired just reading about all you have been doing-you must be exhausted! LOL

(Zone 7a)

There's a large mule deer population not far from there. This was only some of them.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Mau. I'm just so worried even though I know things will probably be fine.

Wow, BP. You're making ME tired! LOL

The Virgin river. Don't know why they call it that.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Kelli, Darrell wanted me to ask you if this is a Joshua Tree.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

"It looks like a cactus." Is it?

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

"it smells funny here."

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Celia, I'm glad you had such a good weekend! We will be praying for your daughter and the baby. How scary for all of you!!

It's 73° and partly cloudy here right now. It's been raining off and on all day, and is expected to continue all week. The high is going to be in the low 80s, but it'll be back up in the 90s by Wednesday and Thursday. Thursday evening another chilly front is coming back through, so we should have a nice, cool weekend. That will be very nice. :-)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Celia, I'm glad you were able to get away from it all for a short time. I hope Crystal comes out of everything ok. What a tough break. Prayers sent for everyone.

Mau, actually, I've been sleeping good and waking up full of energy.

I'm still on break and having a piece of apple pie I made yesterday.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, Sally! We cross posted. It's nice to see you. :-) You HAVE been busy!!! I hope you can get your new computer(s) soon so you can pop in more often. Apple pie... yummmm... :-)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Marylyn, I'm hoping at least for an early Christmas present or at least the first of the year. So, it won't be too soon. The pie was good :o)

Wow Celia, that's a lot to take, and now Cancer??? Oh my goodness, just think though, if she wasn't pregnant she probably wouldn't know it and they probably would haven't caught it yet...
Looks and sounds like you had a good time nevertheless.

I'm just here at work in a bad mood and I'm not going to say anymore :)

LOL Mau! You all know I was here then!

Mau, I'm going to be so extremely tired at that RU from this conference this week, and once again, I'm not saying anymore. I plan on coming to your house Friday after I get off work, I haven't had time to be on midsouth, once I get there I won't leave! LOL

Celia, Yes that is a Joshua Tree. And Yes, that is a cactus. I used to know the names of all of them but not anymore.

At the State Fair on Saturday one of the food booths that sells funnel cakes had an "Elephant Ear" A solid slab of dough in an EE shape with Hot Apples on top, didn't have one but it looked delicious!

I still have a ton of work to do here at work so I'll see ya'll later.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL, Crissy--you will have to leave on Saturday morning if you want to go to Kim's for the RU!!
I'm assuming you will find your way to my house via your GPS "thingy"? That EE-shaped funnel cake is what we need at the RU!!

Celia: I meant to say that I think Darrell and his sister bear a strong resemblance to one another.

Marylyn: it's nice that you got a short break from the heat. You and Sharon still seem to be havin summer, though.

LOL Yea, I'll just need your addy. I'm not spending the night at your house, just coming to visit as Dave works Swing Shift anyway. It looked delicious, I might sneak back to the fair myself just for some food LOL!!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi, guys! I've done with canning for now...ugh! It's been raining all day , but still not so cold as forecasted, 55 F.
Celia, no wonder you had to get away ...I'll be keeping Crystal and the baby in my prayers . (((((Hugs))))) Great pictures!
Sally, I was wondering where you were ! Thank God the bad weather will bring us all together here!LOL
Ric, great sky! How is the GH? How long are you going to keep Robyn up there?LOL
Rann, I hope Selma doesn't get a flu and gets well soon. Pretty flower!
Sharon, as you know my DH is a massage therapist , but I hardly get a massage/year...I know how good it is! Green with envy here!LOL
Mau, what a beautiful Mexican Hydrangea, never seen one before! Lovely pictures of the parade! Poor girls, they sure look like they were cold , brrr! Which one was your DGS?
E_B, aweeeeeeeeeee, what a cutie!
Some cans from yesterday.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Your canned veggies look delicious, Adina!!

Ric, I posted a thread in the pond forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1047458/ Help!

Back to homeschool....

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Crissy, I have sent you a dmail with my address.

Adina: you have been busy, too. The veggies look yummy! My DGS has the number 10 on his jersey. You can see the "1" but the "0" is partially blocked in the photo. He was turned to look at me and his dad.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 4:06 PM

I didn't get the dmail...

If I liked canned food, I would say those do look good! LOL my grandmother used to feed me stuff she'd jarred and canned when I was little and now I can't stand it, unless it's peaches :)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL--I'll send it now--I was sending someone else directions, too!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Ric, you asked about how I feed my fish. I just kind of toss the food in. I have never tried to train them to hand feed them, though I know it isn't difficult to do.

Celia, yep, Joshua tree and cactus. It's some kind of cholla cactus, maybe a buckhorn cholla. I hope things go well for your daughter.

80% of real rain on Wednesday

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 12, 2009
63 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 7 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.81 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft
Overcast 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

On Saturday, we went to Descanso Gardens. They were supposed to have an African violet show, but it was cancelled. We had a good time anyways.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.