October Weather Tricks & Treats Part 2

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One more.........

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

And finally, Kettle Creek. The light was horrible so I Photoshopped this one. I'm not sure why these are so soft. I'm using a new camera and software and they look great before I post them.

ric............For some reason your plants trying to make it unto the roof to the safety of the greenhouse brought to mind the fall of Saigon.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 8:33 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

e_b these are marvelous!
Once more your eye is perfect.
Hate the subject this early in the year though...lol!

You know that is a good analogy.
Far less of a life changing event but apt.
Right now the backyard looks more like the Fall of Rome though...lol!

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'm having a hard time seeing this morning.
This strange light hit me a few minutes ago.
My eyes are seeing spots...
It's in the East, moving West slowly...
Oh yeah I remember... The Sun!

39° (Wind Chill 33°)

Ric

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Ric, you scared me to death! I almost believed you had something with your eyes!LOL Lovely Bougainvillea!
E_B, gorgeous pictures! Especially the last one...wow! I would love that in the DG calendar...but you'll have to enter it without the Photoshopping. Do you still have the original ?
Kelli, what a beautiful "stained glass window", wow! Poison ivy is beautiful here too these days.Beautiful shots of the house and garden.
Sharon, Pea is a sweetie!
Celia, what did the doctor say?
Mau, amasing those Monarchs! Great pics, thanks for sharing!
Joanna, that cold? LOL
It rained again today, but no wind and the temps are a bit up to 48. It stopped now and the sky was clear at sunset. Humidity was high 97%.
I took this from my car on Thursday. I thought I'd better take the camera with me and get as many pictures I can on my way. I miss the park in my old neighborhood...sigh! But I'm going there next week, so I will take pics...cross fingers for a sunny weather.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This one is the Arch of Triumph.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This building is a huge tipography , it was called "The Spark's House" during communism . "The Spark" was the name of the communist party's newspaper. Here they were printing almost all the newspapers in our country. Today the name has changed to "The Free Press House"...although it's just a name!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Okay, Crystal left about an hour ago. We have very good news. She does NOT have cancer. She does have abnormal cells but nothing else for now. She has one more test to have done but not for a few more weeks. It's called a colposcopy. She can keep her baby and nothing needs to be done until after she has delivers, even if they find anything concerning. The abnormal cells aren't even proof that she could later develope cancer. So...YEA!!!!!

We took her to Red Lobster to celebrate, watched a monster movie and crashed on the couch. All 3 of us! LOL

72º, sunny and beautiful.

Crystal is turning into quite the outdoor photographer. These are her pics.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Okay, Crystal left about an hour ago. We have very good news. She does NOT have cancer. She does have abnormal cells but nothing else for now. She has one more test to have done but not for a few more weeks. It's called a colposcopy. She can keep her baby and nothing needs to be done until after she has delivers, even if they find anything concerning. The abnormal cells aren't even proof that she could later develope cancer. So...YEA!!!!!

We took her to Red Lobster to celebrate, watched a monster movie and crashed on the couch. All 3 of us! LOL

72º, sunny and beautiful.

Crystal is turning into quite the outdoor photographer. These are her pics. Sunset near Vernal, UT.

Oops.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2009 2:08 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Another.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

YAY! Don't worry about the duplicate. That news deserves two postings anyways.

(Zone 7a)

Near home.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Kelli! Still very up today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

From her house.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Wild horse.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Mule deer buck.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That buck is a lot prettier in the picture than he would be on someones wall.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Celia I agree! I'd say you could get away w/ 3 copies!
Tell Crystal CONGRATULATIONS Again!
And the shots are LOVELY! The first one LOVELY LOVELY.... LOL!

Adina sorry if I worried you!
I'm fine. In fact just about back to normal.... not that I've been normal in a LONG while... ;-)

Well we're busting at the seems but almost all the plants are in.... I hope.
All the big or expensive or those w/ sentimental value anyway are anyway... LOL!
Some of the water plants we left out.
The water won't get cold enough for there to be any root damage so I'm not worried.
The vast amount of plants will dwindle quickly as they die back , get pruned or go dormant.
We've done this for enough years to know that.
By next month at the latest we'll have plenty of room.
We are whipped and the HT will certainly feel good tonight.
The HEAVY Plants went into the Porch and Sewing Room,
but I was up and down the ladder w/ smaller ones about 3 dozen times.

We got a lot of Sun today and hit 53 degrees.
Couldn't check the therm in the new GH but it was toasty at 4 PM.
It should be Freezing by morning.
THEN 10 straight days of Sun and temps in the mid/upper 60's.

Tomorrow we'll start cleaning up and decorating for Halloween.

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Still hot today - Help yourself, E_B, and anyone else. There is plenty to go around.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on October 17, 2009
92 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 49 °F
Wind: 6 mph from the NW
Pressure: 29.82 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

W/ the Sun FINALLY appearing it wasn't too bad here.
Too hot for a coat in the Sun.... chilly in the shade.
We timed our work to be mostly in the Sun.
Worked east to west. By the time we 'cracked' the GH'es it was 50 or so.

Currently:
43° (Wind Chill 39°) Wind: N 6 MPH

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good evening!

Celia, YAYY!! What wonderful news! I've had a culposcopy before. Tell her to take a couple of Tylenol before she goes, and not to be worried if she gets a little cramping and spotting.

It was a beautiful day here. The high was about 74°, with a slight breeze and lots of sunshine and very little humidity. Gorgeous! I got up early (for me) this morning and went garage sale-ing, which was very fun. I bought most of the girls' Christmas presents at one house, and 3 houses later, found a little neighborhood garden club's plant sale! Yayy! I bought 3 pink turk's cap, 3 russelia, 3 butterfly weed (aka milkweed), 1 begonia, 1 impatien, a bag full of crinum bulbs, a pot of NOID lilies, another baggie of lily bulbs, 1 airplane plant, 1 beautyberry bush, and a cute little bromeliad - all for $20!

I popped into a nursery on my way home and picked up a mixed flat of alyssum and sweet little violas, and spent the afternoon and early evening working in the front garden and listening to college football games on the radio. The bunnies went in and out of the house, at their own little bunny whims, and sometimes even "helped", which was fun. :-) I finished the very front beds, and weeded the beds in the backyard (they were SUCH a mess!), but I need to go out again soon and move the tropical stuff from the front yard to the backyard, and move the... umm... I've always called it butterfly bush, but I don't think that's actually its name. I'll have to take a photo of it and ask Josephine in the Texas forum what it really is... Anyway, it's going up front. :-) I dug up and divided a bunch of daylilies, and just generally did a lot of my usual fall chores. It took a lot longer this year to get cool enough to make working out there fun again! I was covered with dirt (sorry... soil!) when I came in, but was not dripping in sweat. I did have to take some Advil for all of the stiffening muscles, though! LOL

Hopefully we'll take down the Mexican plum before the next heavy trash pick up day (November 13th), and we'll actually get part sun in a lot of our beds, instead of deep shade! Yayy! The Mexican plum is gorgeous for about 2 weeks in February when it blooms, and is a nuisance the rest of the year, so I'm glad I finally convinced Charles that it needs to go. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53pm CDT (5 min ago)
Temperature 61 °F 16 °C
Dew Point 51 °F 11 °C
Humidity 70%
Pressure 30.35 in 1027.6 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir N 350°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 64.9°F / 18.3°C

Rest of tonight Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday night Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 40s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Marylyn. I'll let her know. ^_^

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Celia – YAY!!!! Great news about Crystal!

Ric – I’ll get more pics of the cats. I can’t remember the type of wood they are mad eof and they are imported. A local store sells them.
Joanna – LOL at Brrr in ice.
E_B – You take the best pictures!
Ric – Glad you got all the plants in the greenhouse before the freeze.
Adina – Thanks for posting the pictures! I enjoy seeing your neck of the woods. Be sure to take your camera next weekend!
Celia – Wonderful pics! She did a good job!
Bernie – I’m not a big fan of animal head wall art either :P
Celia- Love that pic of you and Crystal!

Ric - Here's a close up. The tallest cat is about 4' and weighs about 15lbs, they are all hand painted. I'll find out the type of wood they are made from.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2009 9:04 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

we've moved here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1049017/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.