Has it snowed yet?

Bozeman, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm planting daffodils, colchicum (False Autumn Crocus) and tulips in the falling snow. It's actually quite beautiful and not too cold. Thought I would take a break and check my mail. Do you have snow yet and what are you doing in your garden this fall?

Thumbnail by NorthernSeasons
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

What a pretty picture of tulips & snow! We are expecting 2" tomorrow.

Today I planted 7 lavenders along a pathway, and some Crystal River veronica between the stones. Also planted three clematis vines, an 'Arp' rosemary and an invisible eremerus (a tiny pot of dirt I bought at the DBG fall sale supposedly containing a baby tuber). I still have 10 Allium 'Schubertii' bulbs and some garlic to plant then I'll be done.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We've had snow on and off since last Friday. More coming tonight. This weekend I am lifting all my dahlias and tender bulbs and putting them to bed in the cold room for the winter. I have lilies and some tulips left to plant this weekend too! At some point I will be gobbling up turkey as our Thanksgiving is Monday and I LUV Turkey Day.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My colchicum "Waterlily" is blooming and another one I have forgotten the name of. They are beautiful at a time when the flowers are beginning to disappear. I will try to get some photos of them.
We have had snow once -- very little it was melted very soon, but for a brief time the whole town was white. We have had small rain showers also and today we had a shower with a lot of hail.
I have many plants left to plant. Today I will put in a daphne that has been outdoors in a small flower pot since the spring DBG sale. That is one tough plant to have lasted so long in a flower pot. I have finally created a decent place for it and will get it in today.
I am also in hot pursuit of gophers. I recently read an article that said they do not hybernate. Now I know why so many of my irises disappeared over the winter last year. They were consumed by snow bound gophers. I am trying to trap them all in hope that there won't be any there this winter. Rots of Ruck as they say.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My fall blooming crocii poked out but then they stopped I think because it's not sunny. Not alot of sun in the long range forecast either :( I hope they at least develop foliage or they will be goners for sure :(

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

We had 4 inches of wet heavy snow last Sunday morning. It caught all of the deciduous trees with their leaves still on, and unfortunately broke some big branches - maples and poplars in particular did not hold up well. Our snow had a strange layer of brown on top of it - turns out it was from a huge dust storm that kicked up in southeastern Washington.
I just received some daffodil bulbs - trying some doubles and butterflies this year - will try to get those in the ground this weekend. We also need to harvest our sunflowers and bring the dry cornstalks in for doorway decoration. Oooo - and we have apples and potatoes to harvest. mmm....I smell apple pie in my future. :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

mmmmmm apple pie mmmmmm

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

slop and snow today, but none of it sticking. More due on Saturday. Bleh.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We had about 1/2 hour of hail today. Dogs didn't like it a bit. One had the sense to come in out of the rain and to sit under the porch. The other hid in the scrub oak. I wouldn't be surprised if she got pelted a few times.
Here is colchicum (autumn crocus) "Water lily" today in my front yard -- with iris and New Century Veronica.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2009 5:20 PM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is colchicum Velvet Queen, also striking but not as much so as Waterlily. Also these have been open for nearly a week and so aren't as fresh and vigorous looking as waterlily which only bloomed a cay or two ago.
Leucojum is coming up in one of my shadier beds. I thought it was supposed to bloom in the spring.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2009 5:21 PM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Santa Fe, NM

Pretty autumn crocus, Paja. Getting colder here with mixed rain and sun. Still working on planting bulbs but too cold today. Working on photo contest. D.H. made a very good apple pie last night and is taking some over to his parents right now!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, roybird. I, too, planted bulbs today -- never give up is my motto -- this time I planted 10 tulipa saxatilis. I am hoping these will do better than tulips I have grown in the past, but I just remembered one mistake I made. I planted them near the sidewalk that the deer like to walk down. I have some more to plant. I will plant them farther away from the sidewalk. The deer don't go up close to the house, normally.
So much to remember!
I was just reading with longing about Harland Hand's garden which was famously artistic. My garden, at least right now, is what I can get to grow. It gets a little better each year, but the progress is pretty slow.
I always love these red mums when they bloom. They are so late that I always think they haven't survived, but then they pop our in late fall.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Bonne action de grâce, Dahlia!
I never got invited to Thanksgiving in Quebec City. Maybe they don't celebrate it there?

Thumbnail by picante
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Happy Thanksgiving, dahila! Some turkey would taste really good right now. Is Canadian Turkey Day like the American one in any way other than consuming turkey? Cranberry sauce? Sweet potatoes? Pumpkin pie? Mashed potatoes? Or our your T-day customs different from ours?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Nice flowers Paj, I bought some Colchicum 'waterlily' at the DBG fall sale. Planted them right away too, but I guess too late to get bloom this year. I've seen no sign of the fall crocuses I planted last year.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You never know. The first year, I grew cochicum "waterlily" -- which I too purchased at the DBG sale, I forgot to plant it and then found it trying to bloom in it's little brown paper bag. It was pure white though. So I took it out and planted it and left the flower above ground and in a day or two it had started to turn violet. I figured it was a goner and the bloom was a last attempt to survive but in the spring it came back and made this very lush, rather tropical looking green plant which later died back and then much later, in the fall, it bloomed violet ( lavender) again. It is a most unusual bulb -- but really a beauty.

snowing lightly since about 3 pm, rain all day before then. temps hovering just above freezing all day. I got all my still-to-be-planted stuff into the garage to live until I have time to plant them (Sunday?).

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Happy Thanksgiving, DN! Do tell us about Canadian Thanksgiving! No snow here yet, hopefully planting bulbs today, and I have to dig up the dahlia tubers and the elephant ears. We've been having some gorgeous Autumn days, crisp and cold in the morning and overnight, but (sort of) warm and sunny in the afternoon. Ice plants are blooming! This is my first year with them, so I'm surprised that they are blooming after many frosts (DH said maybe that is why they are called 'ice' plants...).

Happy Friday, everyone!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well thanks everso all for the Turkey Day wishes ^_^ Canadian Thanksgiving is exactly the same as US Thanksgiving with the same traditional food etc. except on a different day cuz harvest is earlier here. hm that's funky weird about Quebec City Picante. Thanksgiving is widely celebrated in Quebec so maybe it's a city thing? Sadly I have not been to Quebec City. I went to Montreal alot though when I lived in the east.

Santa Fe, NM

Happy Thanksgiving, Dahlia. I confess, whether or not this is the right thread, that I haven't even looked at my garden since Tuesday! or Wednesday! I still need to take down the water feature and plant more bulbs. Probably more plants would like to come in, too. Meanwhile, I have a very social day planned for today including a hike with friends and an opening for another friend tonight. Not to mention classes and so forth Sat. and Sun. Bizzy. I want to be sitting here getting my photos together!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Lots of snow here. This is photo's of this morning.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

THAT is a pretty picture!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lovely picture, Sof! Also love your picture of snow on colchicums, NorthernSeasons. I think both should be entered in the photo contest.

Santa Fe, NM

No snow here today. Warm and pleasant!

Roybird - I am jealous! It is very cold and wet and snowy here and that's just abnormal for mid October. We don't usually see weather like this until close to Thanksgiving.

Thumbnail by
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Bee you tee full picture, thread starter whose name I forgot by the time I got down here........

we actually also did have snow, just a sweet morning flurry, forget when exactly, been a while as it did warm again, considerably, but it was so pretty.

all my tomatoes have froze though. Eh. everything else is still doin good.

Kyla

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

in short: yes it snowed.
This is an area on the Palmer Divide where I was birdwatching today. 25*, and everything had this strange blue-grey frosty haze.

Thumbnail by greenjay
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, nice frigid picture! I can feel that cold, brrrrrrrrrrr

Santa Fe, NM

It's a Christmas Card, Greenjay. Jude, I can't believe the cold in Denver. Very unusual and you all had that cold spring and then wet summer. Here, I saw in the paper today that we are still 50% below "normal" on rainfall. So, don't be too jealous. I have a feeling that next spring there will be a lot of re-do work on my garden.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Greenjay, that picture DOES transmit the cold! Nice shot!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I love hoar frost on trees. It is a nice shot Greenjay.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Again I learn something new! Although I grew up near Buffalo, N.Y., I don't think I've ever heard the term 'hoar frost'. Looked it up... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost (scroll down for hoar frost)...

Nice!

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 12:29 AM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

DenverJude,
I love that frame for West Denver Weather. Does that website just have Denver or does it have other places as well? It is not possible to find all that info on a single web page for our area -- that I know of. I know the lab collects that info and gives it to the weather bureau but then it falls in a black hole, as far as I know. Once a month the lab prints out a paper version, but the info, which used to be available on line, isn't available on line any more. If that website does weather for places other than Denver, I would love to find it.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

OMG, hoar frost!
I'll never forget a Christmas day ski up Porcupine Cr. (the one in the Gallatin Range). I think the wind hadn't blown for a couple days, because the hoar frost crystals were gigantic, and they encrusted every bush and covered the surface of the snow. They were breaking up the light spectrum, so you saw topaz and emerald and sapphire and ruby flashes as you skiied by. It was mesmerizing. It was some other planet. I still haven't recovered.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sounds like an experience one wouldn't want to recover from!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Everything is crystallized like that just a tiny bit East of here (up Smoky Hill). I wish I'd had my camera on the way to church this morning - SO beautiful!

paj:
It's the online weather reporting station for an amateur (but very good) weather watcher near our neighborhood (he's a mile or two from us). NOAA and other local official weather agencies do use his info. He's hooked into the Weather Underground http://www.wunderground.com where you might be able to find someone in your area.

I go to http://www.reifheck.com/live.html for that live report which also has these nifty graphs available at the bottom of the screen. His main page is http://www.reifheck.com/index.php

currently 29 degrees. :-(

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yipes on the 29 degrees -- at 1:00 pm! It is a comparatively balmy 57.9 on my back portal. You are so lucky to have this weather guy in your neighborhood. I wish I had a counterpart of his here in my neighborhood. It is so nice to know what the temperature is without trying to maintain you own battery operated weather station. They work fine for a while, but then poop out. Mine is currently in the pooped out state, so I have a thermometer outdoors under the portal but close to the house and another one I will hang about 6 ft. away. Then I have my plastic ( and not very accurate due to trees) rain gage in the flower bed on the back fence. I could use a really good weather person in my neighborhood.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

this picture may actually *be* my xmas card for this year

Thumbnail by greenjay
Santa Fe, NM

Yes, that is really nice! I love it for a winter picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.