Leaf Wash / Polish

Danville, IN

Any recommendations for cleaning a LOT of large tropical houseplants (palms, etc.) that are indoors year-round and have gotten dusty? I mist all of them regularly (they are in a sunroom), but over the past year, they have gotten a layer of settled dust, etc. I dread trying to wash each leaf by hand! Is there a product or homemade concoction that can be sprayed. (It's OK if it drips on the floor, which is slate.)

North Augusta, ON

I just put everybody in the shower and set the water to the temp. of a nice summer rain. Works wonders.

Danville, IN

I can shower the smaller plants, but most of my large ones are set in planters, in their pots, then "mulched" with pine bark nuggets (I got the idea from malls). It would be a major project to lift them out into the shower! But, perhaps I can get a long hose and hook it up to the laundry sink and do the same? If I can't find a product, I'll have to try that!

Traverse City, MI

Ivory soap 2 tsp to a gallon of water. Use a hand held sprayer and wash 'em off. if you are worried about the floor do it on a tarp. The more pressure you can get out of the sprayer the better. You do not need to rinse off the soap.

In the future get a feather duster or lambswool duster and use it often. Watch for mites as the duster can spread 'em.

Danville, IN

I'll try it. Sounds like a good solution. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I have always used a small amount of whole milk and water to do a great job cleaning my house plants. Its hard work but its worth it. I fill up a bowl with warm water and add enough milk to make it look cloudy and then use a cotton ball and go to work. Your plants will look like you wiped them with vaseline they come out so clean. Make sure you have enough milk on hand because the water will get dirty pretty quick if you havent cleaned the leaves in awhile. I've read that its the fat in the milk that helps clean the dirt and slime off the leaves. So heres the proof since I havent cleaned mine since spring ( Shame On Me )
Heres the before the milk bath LOL

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

And the after , try it you'll be amazed
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Danville, IN

Yes, I've used the diluted milk method before. It's cheap and very effective. Thanks. After I rinse off the majority of the leaves, I'll use this method to get them shining!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.