Transplanting ornamental grasses

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

I planted lots of 4" ornamental grasses, last fall, & mis-judged the size of some. Now, I need to do some moving & wonder if it's okay to dig them up & move them in the fall.

The grasses are Stipa Tenuissima, blue fescue & a small miscanthus or pennisetum (the plant ate it's tag while growing). I've read that fall is not a good time to divide these, but what about transplanting them?

Thanks in advance

Liz

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

I think fall should be ok to transplant those. I just transplanted a bunch of Muhly grasses last week and they didn't miss a beat. Good luck.

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the feedback - I'll transplant them this weekend, when I do the rest of my fall planting!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Fall is a fine time for dividing and transplanting grasses. The reason people say it's not is because, in doing so, you damage the foliage you have now, which provides winter interest. In my zone 7, the foliage wouldn't grow back until spring, so my plant would be bare all winter. Part of the thrill of growing grasses is that winter interest--purely aesthetic. Dividing and transplanting won't hurt the grass itself; you would just lose the winter appeal if you were in a cooler climate. In your climate, I'm guessing the foliage will continue to grow all winter for you. So you'll still get some winter interest from it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.