Best of the season

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Allison thanks for the pic of mature Kingwood.
I am taking cuttings of one this winter. Its sure grows fast and it helps to see it full grown so I dont plant it in the wrong place.
Thanx Pirl

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the only thing that has me wondering Pirl is I don't see the light color on the edges... might be second guessing it

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

they did grow really quick JoAnn... those in the photo came toward the end of March from NC farms.... and they were only an inch tall... I actually didn't have high hopes for them... that post normally just gets beat up by the birds and squirrels going to the bird feeders... and since I had so many of them I loaded those two baskets ... that I didn't like in the past with them.. who knew they would fill out that nicely... a couple of them look like tiny shrubs ... the stems are huge

Randy actually asked me to plant them the same next year... nuff said

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's the time of year to appreciate the successful things we've done. It's so nice when plants perform better than we believed they could.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes it is... and with the lousy growing season we had... all the coleus are true winners!!!

I just wrote to Jo Ann about that! The coleus go on through rain, heat, cool days, etc. Nice to have roses and lilies but they come and go where the coleus just doesn't quit.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the more and more I learn about them... the more and more I love them!!!

these are the ones I grew from Cathy's seeds... how can you beat that????

Thumbnail by onewish1
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Wouldnt it be great to see them in their native habitat Thailand?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow Allison. I might have to start some from seeds as my trailing ones arent going to make it.
Just Psycoleus and Trailing Queen have survived.
Trailing red is trying but Chocolate is done for
Where did you get coleus seeds?

This message was edited Oct 4, 2009 7:45 AM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

from Cathy = Svplantingfool... she sent out coleus hybrid seeds to anyone who wanted them last year.. I planted them heavy because with seedlings I do believe the strong will survive ... remind me next year to take more cuttings of the trailers for you... I usually have a nice supply

I find most of the trailers are not as strong as the upright or mounding coleuses. Strawberry Drop is definitely an exception to the rule.

Trailing Green and Gold is a very strong trailer.

Thumbnail by pirl
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that is one trailer I do not have... but I do love my trailers!!!

Thumbnail by onewish1

Just heard on radio to never cut them back by more than half for all plants coming back inside for the winter.

Yours are glorious, Allison.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the bloom master containers do help though

YOU should be their spokesperson!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am .... and I don't get paid!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Your a good soul Allison

That is not a profitable venture!

Pearl River, LA

Now "That's what I'm talking about" Lots of beautiful combos and ideas. I have a woodpile, never even gave it a thought to do that. I have a light pole in the center of what should be a good planting zone, I now want to put a post with trailing coleus there. Yeah. pirl we should not forget that the amount of sun a coleus gets changes the color dramatically. Defiance is yellow and burgundy in ful lsun and will have the green on the lower parts of a large plant that puts that area of the plant in full shade. Alabama is deeper and brighter in sun and in shade it is very dark in color. I have also noticed that Defiance also needs much more water than Alabama sunset. It wilts from the heat here and needs its roots cooled.

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

wrong pic this is a cutting raised in shade but not what I wanted to show you. I do not see as well as I used to .. let me try again. See how green the bottom leaves are. If you pick those off you might think it was a different plant. I will post my shade Alabama sunset that is totally in the shade and one in partial shade.

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

I think this is pretty good to show partial shade. One hour of morning sun, and dappled in the late afternoon. I have a full shade Alabama sunset but I do not seem to have a good file pic of it. I will take one tomorrow, I do not have my camera today it is on loan. Are we having fun yet. I love the pots show your favorite pot too. ok shirleyt edited to say these are cuttings from the large deck plants.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2009 1:05 PM

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very pretty Shirley

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

This was one of my favorite containers this year.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It has a really nice shape

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

And this one got huge - about 4' x 4'

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Good Morning, you're up early! It kept it shape nice all summer. I had it up on a hypertufa pedestal.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great combination.
I just checked out Tom-Tom's coleus tree and want to make one for next year

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I know - it's really a cool tree! I'd like to try a regular standard next year too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I wonder if there is a variety that is best suited for the process
I would think Jungle Love or The Boss

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

beautiful Goldfinch!!... love them both

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm sure some would work better than others but I haven't done any research on it yet. Keep me posted if you find out more.

Thanks onewish!

Great work, Goldfinch!

There is something I read about the best coleus for topiaries. I'm sure of it but the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. I'll return when I think of it.

http://lifeonthebalcony.com/making-a-coleus-topiary/

Found this on "Selection Guide" at Rosy Dawn:

Tallest Coleus:
Atlas, Darth Vader, Envy, Giant Fantasy, Gold Giant, Japanese Giant, Lavender Lace, Mahogany Giant, New Hurricane, Schizophrenia, Splash, Stormy Weather

Solar Shadow has exceptionally strong stems so that's the one I'd be tempted to use. It does have very large leaves though and I think smaller leaves are supposed to be more desirable. Wimpy stems just aren't suitable.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pirl I'm keeping the list

Check this out for inspiration, not instructions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coleus_tree.jpg

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What a beauty

I thought so, too.

I'm sure I've seen very detailed instructions on how to make a coleus into a tree but haven't found it yet. I'll keep looking.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey Shirley!!

Great to see you. How is DH? Been on vacation and just now saw this. Everyone has great containers this year. Mine are pathetic especially since I have been away for a week.

Pirl great idea about the mandevilla. I tried to save it one year without cutting it back. Got covered with aphids and I had to pitch it. I have one I may cut back and try to hold over.

Way behind. Gotta run!
Juanita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.