Best of the season

Trina I wii see if I can collect some seeds, will let you know.
Lorine

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

ok lorine if you do just tell me what you'd like to trade or what not

Pearl River, LA

We had a wind and rain storm last night that just ruined one of my biggest coleus. sadness. This is the best rose of the year, it has bloomed flush after flush since spring. I do not know its name. We are going to leave it on the deck for now. I would like to know what plants are your favorites to mix along with our bright coleus. shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

This is how I do it in a small deck space just outside the dinning room door. I have pockets of coleus tucked into areas to surprise the eye with pops of their bright color.

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

The mandevilla across the end has been blooming since spring also. Blue birds nested in the bird house close by and flew happily away. It was such a pleasure to see them come and go and do their thing.

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

This one survived most of the other one is history. As you can see they set together. The other plants were fine. I think it is amazing how something can be destroyed and something else next to it not damaged at all. The umberella for the table blew off too,

Thumbnail by shirleyt
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Shirley - what's the name of the last pink one with the bright gold center? It's a beauty!

Pearl River, LA

As far as I know that is Alabama Sunset. It gets deep color when if full sun; Less color if in shade or partial sun. It is a favorite of mine. I will send it to the school nursery when it gets cooler here and the students will make lots of cuttings for their Spring sale. They have a great new green house. Do you want me to send you some cuttings in the Spring. I will restock from the school. I just cannot seem to save any through the winter. I am going to try again this year . I will put some heat in the green house. I lost all the real tender stuff last freeze 24 Everything was fine until then. I did save the mandivilla . I was inspired when you said they could be saved. It died back to the root system and put out in the spring. Nice surprise for me.

That would be wonderful. Thanks. Please let me know which colors you'd like in return.

We just cut back the Mandevillas in October, put them on the floor of our indoor (unheated) porch and they start to push growth in late March. They go out again each May. Now they're 17 years old.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pirl look though your cuttings from Dale.. you might have an alabama sunset

Thanks. I was thinking of it yesterday but as usual the thought vacated my mind when I went outside (shorts and tee shirt = very cold!) and came back in shortly. Today it's raining. Do they have the exact same coloring at this point, Allison, or would they be lighter or darker - just so I know what to look for when I check.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2009 9:12 AM

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Not sure if this is supposed to only be best of coleus, but here are a few pics of things in my garden I liked this year....however, they're not coleus.

Blue Light Clematis - always flowers like crazy.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Just a general garden shot

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Peony - Coral Charm

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Golden Sceptre Lilies

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

And the coleus corner by the door

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Pearl River, LA

Beautiful goldfinch4. I want this to be a thread to show what you did this season that you loved. Then we can get ideas for our next season. I thought we might want to incorporate the best of the best in our plans for next season. We all love coleus but what do they go best with????? ok If I am out of line on the coleus forum please forgive an old woman. I like my eye to go all over the garden and see pops of bright coleus in each area. I just wanted to see how every one else does it. You can post anything that s on your mind here as far as I am concerened. I am interested in what you are interested in. lol love to all shirley t

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pirl mine are mostly dark right now.. here is one

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

and another

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

last one

Thumbnail by onewish1

Thanks, Allison. I went out this morning and took photos of the one that just might be it. I'll be back after I download photos.

Maybe this isn't it or maybe it just looks splotchier since I was closer to it?

Thumbnail by pirl
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think so... it looks like it

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

How did I miss this thread for so long.
Here we go with my faves.
Deck garden containers:
caladiums,lantana,begonia
electric lime

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

collage of deck containers

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

this one really went to town
Goldfinch
Rex
Watermelon

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

.Watermelon survived the frost

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

.This is just pretty not many coleus showing

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

.My Woodpile garden.Turned out terrific.This was August

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

.There are 2 Mahogony Giants in the background either side of the orchid and caladium

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

finally
My vote for the most versital and easy to grow coleus
"Glory"on the right with Watermelon sport on the left

This message was edited Oct 4, 2009 5:33 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love that last combo JoAnn

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love Glory
Its a bright light in a dark arrangement and even brighter in sunshine.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you should put some rustic orange on the right side of that combo... is your sport more on the orange side or just the lighting?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The sports were different in different places in the garden.
I wasnt turned over with them

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Oops-sorry I got so far off topic with my pics....

Beautiful gardens and combos everybody.

ge, Glory is gorgeous!

onewish, your Kingswood Karnival is huge. Nice!

We had 29 deg. the other morning and it has finished off my gardens for the year...bummer. But now I've got months to drool over catalogs and plan for next year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

this is a sport at the left top.
Its leaf color is more defined and darker (part sun)

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My gardens are slowly going,Dahlias dug to make way for lily bulbs and Hosta transplanted to no mans land to make way for Tulips
Echis trimmed as well as Agastaches so I can plant Lilies
Daylilies trimmed just because
Its looking pretty sad out there

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you Goldfinch... I like those sideways planted baskets now.. (last year I did not)... makes it look so much fuller.. but the main stem on them was a sturdy one.. guess it would get woody quick for those who keep them out all year

that Glory is a nice one!

Thanks for the thumbs up for Alabama Sunset, Allison.

ge - love your first container - it's perfect.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.