Best of the season

Pearl River, LA

Hello everyone..... Lets do a best of the season pics forum. I will start it off with a corner that I just let be and it is in all its glory now I call it Gods garden. Then I will show you my best coleus on the deck for the year. ok. I only worked on the deck this year. Everything else pretty much fended for itself....shirleyt edited to tell you that I could only work on the deck because I am caring for my DH and cannot get out of hearing of him.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2009 10:28 AM

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

My best coleus of the year.

Thumbnail by shirleyt

Gorgeous! I miss Goldenrod!

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Front of our house with the flume coleus, mandevilla, and other plants

Martha

Thumbnail by MShaffer736
Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Tipsy pots in the back yard with impatiens, before the bunny started nibbling on the two bottom pots. :-)

Martha

Thumbnail by MShaffer736
Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Coleus containers and hibiscus under our holly tree.

Thumbnail by MShaffer736
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

I only had 2 this year...this thing got HUGE it's 3 feet tall and spread out in a circular shape about 5 feet

Thumbnail by trinawitch

and this one.....yes I know I let it go to seed on purpose...it also got huge

Thumbnail by trinawitch
Pearl River, LA

Great pics I just love the different colored coleus. trinawitch I am planning to let mine bloom from now until they are completely finished. I always get new plants from the school nursery each year, so I thought I would see what they look like blooming from this time on. We do not have much longer. It is sweatshirt weather this morning. It goes from extremely hot to very cold overnight here. Yes just long enough to kill everything and then we have spurts of warm , hot and extremely cold until late March. It is really weird. I will soon change the deck plants for winter.shirleyt

Pearl River, LA

where is everyone. I would love to see your favorites of the year...

Thumbnail by shirleyt

I noticed this forum doesn't move real fast...we have no time Lows for tonight are 36 with patchy frost...uhg...I want spring again!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

We should be fine for another month but we are getting wind tomorrow. Here in the desert they call it wind, it Florida they call them hurricanes. I have two I want to turn into a standard so I had better get up early tomorrow and get those two in the garage before the wind breaks them.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Another one that Loves the heat in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Another direction.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Just a small pot in our landscape. Not a Coleus.

skwinter what's that last one it's really cool looking!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Just kidding. That is at the entrance of the Four Seasons just around the corner from our Condo in Maui.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

trinawitch, I have no idea. I was there for 2 weeks and have another book of flowers and trees. It just needs to get cold here which will be around Christmas. Then I can look up everything I have photos of and catalog. Just for my own pleasure. The kids and grandchildren were with us so maybe I will make them a calendar for 2010. Another spectacular variegated plant with no flowers. Again at the Four Seasons.

i don't care where they're from I like seeing the pictures!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I would have plants or at least many cuttings but you cannot bring back anything to the main land unless it is frozen. Pineapples are OK because this bug does not get in the Pineapple. But the fresh Mangos are to die for but this little bug gets under their skin and you cannot see it. Of course, I ate them and so far do not have any strange bugs.
This bug they have that they got from Thailand that would infest all our crops in the US. I would never risk that but they check you at three different stations to make sure you are not stupid. This is a northern cardinal, George, that visits us every morning on the veranda. He loves Cheerios.

well that's odd, how can they mail plants from there then?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

hands down for me would be Kingwood Karnival

Thumbnail by onewish1
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

C'mon, onewish. The only time your hands are down are when you're planting your wonderful coleuses.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you are funny

You are talented.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you my dear

I can't wait til this spring to try some ideas you all have given me for my coleus and other plants!

India Frills, it is one of my favorites & does so well for me!

Thumbnail by

Philippine Violet, full of bloom, the white along side of it is not doing as well. The color is much darker than the pic!

This message was edited Sep 30, 2009 10:47 AM

Thumbnail by

I've never seen a coleus like that! Such different flower heads.

I love the India Frills, but that phillipine Violet is definately unique!

Not a coleus Pirl, if you are referring to the second pic. The India Frills is a trailer.

Thanks. I was.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Onewish1, that is spectacular. You have painted a masterpiece. I have never heard of phillipine violet. Does it spread and how tall does it get? I will have to put that on my wish list. I have Australian Violet. A great ground cover for the desert heat and spreads by runner and seed but is not invasive unless you are in Australia. Only about 4 inches tall. There they call it a weed. Here is a picture of the Australian Violet. The pink flower is a bulb. Bell flower. Bought three bulbs years ago for $6.00 per bulb. The reason for the high cost is now from those three bulbs I have hundreds, my friends have hundreds and they are multiplying as we speak. When I moved here 8 years brought a few with us and again I have hundreds. They love the heat and bloom all summer. Have a great day.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sorry, wrong picture. That is my baby hummingbirds two years ago.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you SK.... going to save lots of cuttings of that one

The Phillipine violet gets to be about 4' tall, colors are blue & white or that is all I have seen. It scatters its seed & comes up everywhere but I don't mind. I just pull them up where I don't want them. I have never collected seed but could try if interested. It really is a pretty plant!
Lorine

I'd be interested in some seeds

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

hmmm philippine violet... i'm from the philippines. which means i will one day get my hands on some because now i have an excuse to get it LOL.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

To tall and wide for me...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.