Woe is me! Another wonderful plant sale!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

This one is local at the Santa Fe Botanic Gardens. I came home with a carload of plants from Denver Botanic Gardens Sale and now I discover the Santa Fe Botanic Gardens sale!. Of course, I have to go to support the local Botanic Garden after years of supporting the Denver Botanic Garden. And look at what they are selling:

http://www.santafebotanicalgarden.org/subpages/PN%20foxglove%20Sept09.html

Weren't we just talking about how foxgloves are hard to grow here in the rockies? This one sounds like it might do fine. Sigh. I can just see the money jumping out of my pocket, now. But I can also see the foxgloves blooming in my garden. Sigh. I am hopeless.

This and other Plant Select stuff bred for western gardens. Oh, I can't buy anything more! -- or can I? We will see what I do tomorrow.

Santa Fe Botanic Garden is just beginning nowadays. They have a space, as I understand it, but not a lot more. I think they also have a staff. ( people not wood). I really need to pitch in in any way I can so this wonderful enterprise can get off the ground. Okay, I guess I may have to buy more plants tomorrow at the members only preview. Better sharpen my shovel.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, Paja, can't wait to see what you discover and bring home! You know we're all enablers here, so no one is going to tell you not to go buy what pleases your heart and spirit!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sigh, I think that is why I love this forum so much. Lots of enablers.
Here is a picture of the Santa Fe Botanic Gardens -- a work in progress.

http://www.santafebotanicalgarden.org/mainpages/4_central.html

I feel kind of excited to be involved with it early. I am sure I will learn a bunch from these people. I have attended their fundraisers in the past. Now I am actually a member.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I confess that I covet digitalis obscura. Swallowtail carrys seeds too! WHOO HOO! Paj you must share your purchases. I hope roybird goes too and takes lots of pics of the garden for us. Lookie there was a garden history item today about my cousin.

1898: Botanist and naturalist John Muir visited Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina. He was enthralled with the view, and despite ill health, began to dance and sing for joy.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

John Muir was your cousin! Wow! You come from top notch botany stock. No wonder you are such a good gardener

There really isn't a garden to see yet. The sale will be held at the fair grounds. The Botanic Garden itself is under construction. I think it will be fun to be a member while it grows to a full fledged botanic garden. Theresa and I have attended some of their garden tours which are of very nice home gardens, not their own. This will be my first of their plant sales, but I have heard they are very good. I think I will have to have some of that digitalis. Will save seeds for you if it survives, Dahlia.

I don't really need another plant buying opportunity right now, but this is very exciting.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Paj I was just funning about John Muir being my cousin because he sings and dances. Thanks for the info about the SFBG. It was hard to tell from their website how far along they are with it's development.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh! But you should claim Muir as a cousin because he is your soulmate! As for SFBG, it took me a while to figure out they didn't have a physical location, too. Several friends and I kept trying to figure out where they were located and I finally found the section on development and figured out they have a physical location, but only the beginnings of the garden and that it isn't usually open to the public -- I think. More on that later, now that I have joined. I am sure I will learn more.
They are in the beginning stages with info,too, as far as I can tell. I tried to join a while back, but their online joining application didn't work. Last night it did, so I am a real member now!

Santa Fe, NM

That's a good idea, Pajarito. I've been deliberately ignoring my garden until after the roofer. I talked to the roofer this morning about my roses and he looked me in the eye and promised me that all the old shingles would go on to a truck in the driveway, which won't be much fun for the apricot tree, but the driveway is the logical place for the truck. He said stuccoing is much harder on plants than roofing. So, I'm thinking I will probably plant more bulbs soon, but really hold off and hope the roses go dormant A.S.A.P.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

That certainly is very tempting. I can feel your pain, pajarito.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, I attended the Members Only Preview this afternoon. It was quite a nice event and I fear I did indulge quite a bit. You will be happy to hear, Dahlia that I bought the digitalis. The hummingbird flowers were all gone by the time I got there and I arrived only 15 minutes after opening time. They must not have had very many. I did get some nice plants -- An Allegheny Sunset Daylily -- actually several of them in a pot -- which I had tried to buy last year when roybird and I ordered some daylilies together. They ran out that time. This time I got it for about the same price only I didn't have to pay shipping. I got another agastache -- purple and salmon -- can't remember the name and several sedums for the rock garden -- which is what my entire yard is. I also bought a cute little fish shaped flower pot, made by hand, some tigerlily bulbs, and Persian Rock Cress and no telling what all else. High Country Gardens and Plants of the Southwest had donated lots of the stuff so it was good quality. Prices were cheaper in Denver and the plants here were a little less esoteric. Lots of it right out of the High Country Gardens catalog. My only mistake is that I bought a wallflower, which now that I am at home I read is an annual here! Oh well. Can't win them all.
My biggest temptation was a large Magnolia Jane for $30. With shipping, I paid nearly that much for one that I ordered a couple of years ago and it was just a stick. I didn't spring for it though because I killed the first one and am not sure I have time to pamper a second one.
There were lovely, large, 2010 AARS roses in pots donated by Agua Fria nursery. The price was reasonable considering the size and health of these roses. And there were others as well -- some with no name, just a photo of the rose. Roybird, you better run on over there first thing in the morning for them. I doubt that you will see that price any time soon. Don't remember what that price was, but they were huge and in pots -- so you could wait until the roofers leave to plant them. I would have bought some, but I have two in pots that I am not sure where I will put them. Definitely don't need more.
It was a lovely sale, but I have a feeling they will sell out in an hour or two because they just don't have that many plants. I suspect that in time they will have a larger sale. There were lots of iris, but I didn't even allow myself to look at them!
One nice touch -- there were a couple of tables of free items -- things that I guess they figured no one would pay for. Lots of aloe plants there.
Santa Fe Botanical Gardens has a long way to go before it will be Denver Botanical Gardens, but there were a lot of people there working hard to make it a go and there was a nice spirit about the whole thing. And the local nurseries had obviously been very generous.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

It sounds like a nice sale and how exciting that you will be helping with the new botanical garden! Sounds like you got lots of good stuff!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I did! Going over them today, I am really impressed with what I bought. Now I need a team of strong and willing gardeners to plant what I bought -- yeah, right. Guess I am going to be doing even more planting than I planned. Yipes!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It sounds like the SFBG is on its way to becoming a great garden thanks to the business support and the members turnout at their sale. Paj I have siberian wallflowers in my little wildflower patch under the mountain ash. They self sow and are drought tolerant so don't give up on them.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I wonder if these will produce any flowers between now and our average last frost date -- Oct. 15. Better get them in the ground quick. Do they tolerate shade? Sounds like since yours are under a tree.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

They only get late day sun under the mountain ash paj.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks! Better get it in right away and hope for flowers. Or just buy some seed next year. The seed is not easy to find in the US -- was searching the internet for it. Good reason to let them go to seed.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I got my seed from Butchart Gardens Paj and they ship to the states https://www.butchartgardens.com/store/cart/Pages/ItemsByCategory.aspx?category_id=23&Page=16

Santa Fe, NM

It would be nice to hit the plant sales but I have classes every Saturday morning from 9 - 11. Sundays, too. Today I also watered a friend's garden while she is out of town. Wish I'd brought my camera. She is an amazing designer, using foliage, gravel and stone in a very Japanese inspired look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.