New Pic's of my Brugs

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I needed an excuse to clean out that canna bed and I'm still not finished, But they do look better clean, don't they?
I'm going to divide those in half for you and Dee. then You will have plenty and don't have to worry about the ones
you got dying. They have some nice fat healthy roots too. You are going to love them.
You know that extra dirt costs more in postage, I'm learning how to scrimp, but it is very difficult to learn after all
these years of working.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

OOOh Charleen, those look great, and yep that is plenty to divide, but send Elizabeth more than you send me, cause I do have two of them, so I would be tickled pink, with just a couple more...don't want to be pig..lol..They didn't multiply as well as I was hoping, for me.
Elizabeth, I remember your pics of Apricot moonflower, very well. I have been watching for it in a swap, ever since I saw your picture, but haven't found anyone offering it.So,THANKs, so much!
You know something. I think growing brugs for a hobby, is just wonderful, because I have never seen another group of plant lovers so willing to share.I mean really, if you think about the value of those plant starts,and the love and care that the owner has put into them, it's just amazing.And, it's great to have something in common with such nice people!
OK, I'm done being mushy. 'Nuff said
Dee

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Here we go again girls, posting at the same time...lol We are a gabby bunch, aren't we..lol
Dee

Mushy is right, I know how you feel. I love to share too. Best people i
have ever seen on these forums. Ready to help and give advice any
time we ask and don't think we are silly asking. I love them all.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

I know, I was just thinking today, that If I run into problems this winter with my cuttings, I can just ask Elizabeth,. I'm kinda shy, and usually don't have much to say, but you two feel like my sisters...that's a good thing......most of the time, anyway...lol
Dee

This message was edited Oct 7, 2009 7:57 PM

I went out and got your all cannas, I don't trust that
pup. Had to move a wisteria I got this Spring. He is
trying to bury a purple bone in it. I've been potting
plants off and on all day and still don't have them all
done. People keep sending me stuff, but I'm not complaining.
The lady at the greenhouse traded me the Pumpkin brug for
the Butterfly bush starts I took her. I hope they all make roots.
They probably will, she knows what she is doing.

Hamilton, OH

Dee
there will plenty of AMF, I wnated to keep my Brugs like a tree, so it has 2 huge stems, I am keeping 1 stem, so that means cutting the 2 side stems off, they are only 2 inches in diameter each, tommorrow, i am digging up the last remaining Canna & the Elephant Ears, & Angels Moonlight, so more clippings there, I am glad no one else has AMF
that way I can send clippings that you don't have to look for, goggle Joli, I think I can trim that one also, if you want to try Peaches & Creme, if the temps drop I will be digging that one, I love it, it's varigated, it got bushy, you ladies can be mushy if you want, we will have plenty to talk about, what about the Holidays coming up, we can share all our decorations
Elizabeth

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Elizabeth, I googled them all , and they are all beautiful! I'll take 10 of each...lol...You know I'm kidding, but I do like them ...a LOT! One of these days, I'm gonna have some that will just have to have, and I will be able to share with you! I love variegated plants., too.I even started variegated poke weed last year when I winter sewed. Talk about slow growers, but they are a beautiful plant! In fact, I have them in my tropical bed..The only thing that I didn't have to dig up. I'm hoping they come on huge next year.Did you want some of the red leaf cannas, or will you have room, now that Charleen is sharing her beautiful variegated ones? These get about 8-10 feet tall and multiply like crazy. The flowers aren't beautiful...small red flowers, but the hummers love them.They were constantly buzzing them, this past summer.I grew them more for the big red foliage.
Charleen, I'm glad you moved those cannas. If the pup ate them, he might turned stripe-ed..lol...Aren't puppies just adorable. Everythings a toy!!
Dee

Hamilton, OH

Dee
I think that would great, I have a spot on the right side of my house, they would look great there,I have some boxes or paper bags to put my canna tubers in, also I have about 10, forty gal. pots that I put cannas in for the summer, it makes a nice fence, a living fence, by my garage, do you grow Caster beans?, I will have a ton of seeds, i have 5 of them that tower over my privacy fence, I need to take a pic of them in bloom
Elizabeth

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

One nice fat tuber of these in your big pots and I promise each pot would have a nice big clump by summer's end! And you will be wondering who all you can give them to, come fall. I planted 6 puney tubers last summer, and I now have two huge pots full of fresh dug tubers.Thats how I store my tubers too...in paper sacks, and boxes.These tubers are so plump, that I have never had them dry up over winter, like some of the others.Once ya have these, you'll have em for life..lol..

I grow red castor beans every year..love them! They don't get as tall as the green, but I really like them . Which ones do you grow? I'm telling ya, I'm gonna have to get rid of some things, to make room for all the brugs I want..lol
Dee

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Oh Gosh, double score - Canna and Cherry Brandy Seeds!!!
Do you want me send you a stamped Bubble Envy or money? Let me know how much.
Thank you in advance!!!

Hamilton, OH

Dee
I will take a Pic of them for you & post it tommorrow, it's too dark on that side of the house, even with a flash, but I have some other Pic to post, the New Orleans Lady now has some color, so I will be taking a Pic of that one, also I will be watching the weather report, some places are already expecting snow, I sure hope we don't hear that, your weather is simular to mine, i was hoping we had to halloween to worry about that kind of weather
Elizabeth

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey, Elizabeth, do you have Calico (brug..I'm sure you know that..lol)? I know I found a pic of it once, but I can't find it now, and I forget what it looks like.
Dee

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

We have a flood watch out until Friday afternoon...supposed to start raining hard tonight.
Dee

Hamilton, OH

Good for you Lynn, you will find the nicest people on these forums, oh I don't know if you're new, if so Welcome
I think you will love it here

Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

Dee
believe it or not, that's one I don't have, I hope the forcast is wrong, be safe, today was a georgeous day, I couldn't believe it, sunshine for a change, girl if I can find the time to list what I have I will dmail you with that list, you will not believe I have collected most of what I have last summer & this spring, anyway, I have a couple that weren't on ebay

Elizabeth

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you for the welcome. I have been a DG member for almost a year, but I am brand new to Brugs and tropicals.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Lynn, just d-mail me your address and I will get them out to you..don't worry about the postage. I have some bubble envelopes that need re-cycled..lol I'll just send you a couple seed-heads, as the seeds on these are smaller than most rudbeckia, and I have trouble telling the difference in chaff and seeds. I just scratched the ground up a little and crumbled the whole seedhead where I'd like for them to re-seed.
Dee

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

You know I want to see that list Elizabeth. I would love to have it on hand, when I am swapping, with others.
dee

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Dee, Thank you. I will Dmail you. Is there anything you would like?

Hamilton, OH

Dee
tell you what, I will take a pic of NOL & the castor, & get that list out to you tommorrow afternoon, I still have to get some bleach to do the basement floor, get those 2 rooms down there ready to look like a Greenhouse, I didn't ask you do you have a basement? I was amazed how well the plants do down there, I don't even mind laundry day, because of all the plants, I have one area set up just for clippings
Elizabeth

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes Elizabeth we have a small basement room. It' more like a root cellar, tho...open to the crawl space, in two spots.The entance is seperate from the house.The furnace and water heater are down there. It is a great place for storing the cannas and other tropicals bulbs, and carrying over geraniums, but I wouldn't put my brugs down there...lol The house is 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and a dining room, that we never use...it's only me and DH...so I have gobbs of room for the brugs, up here where I can keep a closer eye on them...lol
Lynn, you're welcome. Nope, don't need a thing.Just enjoy.But, I must tell you, when they first started blooming, I wasn't impressed.They were a muddy washed out looking red color...kinda brownish, but they did get redder as the summer heated up, and they were actually pretty before it was over with..
Dee

Hamilton, OH

Dee
I have 3 bedrooms, & a room I am pretty sure was used to be a dinning room, but I have a big kitchen, so I put the table in there, & made that room a tv room, the windows in my house aren't good for plants, so I have 2 rooms in the basement with grow lights. when everything is in I will post Pic's, this house was DH's choice because it has a 2 car garage, so I told him, well that's allright honey if my plants die I am gone, so he got busy putting up grow lights, when we first moved here, I had 91 potted plants, & 3 Brugs, weeping fig & every other kind of houseplants you can name, I had a huge plant sale to down size, I still have a bunch of houseplants & a bunch of Brugs, oh I have 2 nice windows in the attic, I use 2 childs swimming pools for them so the water doesn't get in the house, works out really well
Elizabeth

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Elizabeth, our windows aren't good for plants, either. So I have beem using grow lights forever.Sometimes the stands aren't the prettiest, but I am happy if a grow light can hang from them.lol Everyone that knows me, knows that I am a plant addict, anyway...I had a hoop house at our old place, and a an 8 X 12 portable green house when we moved here, but with the grandkids pool, and swingset....it took up too much room...needed the space to plant in. Now with the kids all in school and not here as much(we go to their house everyday, when it's time for the bus), the swingset and pool are gone, but so is the greenhouse..lol..I have never been great with house plants, but I always loved growing from seed.It got me thru the winter I am still amazed, what comes out of a tiny seed!The swimming pool set up in the attic, is a great idea! We have an attic also, but it is very dark.
Dee

I saw one of the people had installed foil inside a room to give it it. Why couldn't you do that with
your attic. I believe I would give it a try. Then you add the lights. Think of the brightness it would
create. It would give light for your plants. Wouldn't it??

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

I had a walk in closet in the guest room at my old house and lined the walls with aluminum foil and hung a grow light from the clothes hanging shelf and it worked great. I put large cafeteria trays under the plants to catch any spills. Overwintered a lot of plants in there for several years.

I may have to do that in my extra
bathroom. I like it. I would love a greenhouse
I have a garden tub I winter plants in, never used it for a bath.

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

That would work great. I tried to do that and hubby threw a fit. I have a shower nozzle and it would be easy to mist the plants with that, lol. We do have guests occasionally so I guess I better limit myself to the counter top.

Hamilton, OH

Ladies Good afternoon
I was up late last night, I got my living room rearranged, got the carpet clean, oh, then I wanted to dig a couple more Brugs today, then it started raining, so I get to be on here, that foil sounds like a great idea, my attic & basement were both really dark, so I painted them white, it made it sooo much lighter, I painted the floor in the basement with that Blue Porch paint, it's easier to keep it clean
Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

Hi Kristy
Dee sent you a dmail

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello girls, Elizabeth, that is quite the list. Some must be the latest and the greatest, as I can't find any pics of them, but I haven't looked all of them up yet, and of course, I found more that I need to watch for...lol I have decided not to bid on any on e-bay, for now, as I have too many growing supplies that I need to buy....I want, I want, I want..lol...
Charleen, I have plenty of space through- out the house, for growing brug cuttings.So, I won't be climbing a ladder and going thru that little opening in the hallway ceiling...lol...Did I say that our house is over 100 yrs. old...lol We use it for storing Christmas decorations, etc...stuff we don't need very often!
FFF, I too have had a grow light set up in a closet. It was a handy, dandy spot!
Dee

Too Dangerous crawling in attics. Too many bugs and spiders to worry about.
Got all the cannas dug up and thinking about planting some in front of the green ones for contrast,
Then down those brugs in ....viola!!!! !What beauty. Already put in two phlox, lavender ones.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Charleen, I sure wish we could leave our cannas in the ground over winter. Your yard is going to be beautiful!
Dee

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Elizabeth and Charleen, would you 2 be interested in a clump of double flowering tuberoses.They smell heavenly, and Charleen, I think they are hardy for you.If either of you want some just let me know and I'll put them in your boxes. Right now, I plan on mailing them on Wednesday.
Dee

Hamilton, OH

Dee
that's just a partial list, the ones I still have too dig up, that's not whats allready in the greenhouse, I will give you an update, when everything is all arranged in the basement, darn it I wanted to get out in the yard & dig a couple more today, but it started raining & hasn't stooped, my house is 85 yrs old

Charlene
I bet your flower bed will be Georgeous, it's sooo neat & clean, mine goes from the tropics to the dessert theme in winter,
Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

Dee
yes I would like to have some, if you have extra, TIA
Elizabeth

I'm going to plant some of these I just dug up, it should be very pretty when everything is coming up.
Have you ever tried leaving some in the ground just to see if they would make it?? Dig up some,
leave a cuple in the ground just to see. but be sure and Mulch them real heavy. When I lived with
my Mom and Dad in Mo. I think Mama left hers in the garden. Lord, Girls, it's been so long, and I sure
wouldn't want to go back except to visit. I'm only one left in family, only got cousins up there. I do go visit,
But it is warm when we do. I hope it is, Dee. Be a lot of work, but worth it.

Just toss what you want in a box, dee. I'll take it. I'm givingelizabeth some Corkscrew Willow , do you want some too.? i got plenty.
I read somewhere that plants root faster if you put them in with a willow branch and I'm silly enough to try it. got to go to post office
and get a couple of boxes too.
Elizabeth, you know yoou are going to get a bunch of varigated canna, right? Dee is going to get some too. I got them in a bucket drying out so I won't ship them wet
to get everything soggy, that way you can put them in a paper bag and put them in your Garage or GH.

Hamilton, OH

Charlene
I did leave one in the ground last year, it froze, I had one of those glazed tiles around it thinking that would protect it with mulched, but it died, so now I just dig them up, my little Greenhouse is only for the end & the beginning of the season,
I just won't give the gas company the money it would take to heat it all winter, but it's great to extend the season & start
early
Elizabeth

Hamilton, OH

Charlene
that will be great, I love the willow, my DH used to go fishing at the Ohio river, they were growing wild there, I would fill up the back of the truck, with limbs, I was surprized no one said anything to me, I used them for decoration, I still have some they dry well
Elizabeth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.