Let's talk about the Toads

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I love the toadlilies/tricyrtis but I wasn't happy with White Waves I purchased from PDN last year. The only multipling it did was the solid green off-spring you see behind it and variegated part hasn't been vigorous as other toads I grow.

Thumbnail by bigred
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I see the problem, Peggy.... why don't you just pack that up and send it off to Auntie Sheryl, to see if she can get it to do anything, hmmm?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have several type toads but don't know anything about this one. I have one that is solid green but has a lime green border around the leaf. I have found that it does not spread as much as the other ones I have.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

They're nice plants that bloom at a useful time, but the lily beetles eat their leaves here.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,I meant to post more pictures but my computer has decided to be a pain.

I love the toads and I love variegated plants so I was so thrilled to get White Wave. Maybe it was so slow this year because I did surgery to remove it all green baby.

I'm not sure if this is Angle's Halo or White Towers.

Thumbnail by bigred

OK - adding more Tricyrtis to my "want" list. I have a variegated one (I think 'Gilt Edge' but have lost the tag) and it doesn't stray too far. Thought I had ordered 'White Towers' years ago but it has purple speckles and it likes to roam. I think I need this white one or even a variegated one. Beautiful.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Great topic - thanks, bigred. I love tricyrtis and keep adding to my collection, but they seem not to be too well-known.

My best multipliers: Dark Beauty, Empress, Taipei Silk.
Slowest growers: shirohotogisu (has not grown at all in 2 years - alive, but still one single puny stem and hasn't bloomed), Tojen, formosana Gilt Edge.

Just this year I got some of the yellow ones. They're earlier bloomers, and I think they'll be good growers, but can't say yet. I have 2 slightly different latfolia and recently found puberula, which I love - yellow with brown spots (collected seed from this one and may be true as I don't think any of the others were blooming at the same time).

I also traded with Kathy_Ann this year for Imperial Banner, Lightning Strike (both have nice variegated foliage) and Lemon Twist, which hasn't bloomed yet. I won't know til next year how they perform, but they seem very happy.

Miyazaki also grows well and is one of the shorter ones. Dark Beauty is one of the tallest- about 3-4 feet in its 2nd or 3rd year and has lovely raspberry-ish spotted flowers. Very similar to empress, except empress is much shorter.

Here's a pic of t. puberula.

Thumbnail by perenniallyme
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

OOO,that's prudy.

I have a bunch that have gotten some heavy speckling in them(as seen in picture) ,googled them and found out it may be caused by a virus. Empress was one mention in the article I googled to be one that's possibly infected. I have one Yuni Temple or something like that is suspect of being another infected varity which ia a shame because they are pretty.

Thumbnail by bigred

What's the one in the pic? I've stayed away from Raspberry Mousse because I heard its coloration was due to a virus. My Empress is pretty regular looking - i.e. uniform, so I don't think it's virused - hope not.

Is PDN about the best source for these? How do they do in clay soil?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I think that's t.maculata. I'm bad about loosing tags.

Toads like humsy soil. They grow well with hostas and ferns. PDN does have some beauties but you probably could find a cheaper source.

Pagan, I've never bought from PDN. They seem awfully expensive. I don't know a best source. I've gotten mine locally when I can find them, and some mail order from different places, but the ones I've gotten mail order have been very small and seem to take much longer to get established.
My parents have some tricyrtis that looks like miyazaki in the mountains of western NC. They have just a few inches of topsoil on top of red clay and rocks, and the tricyrtis seems really happy there, but remains very short - mostly 6 inches or so, I expect due to not having more good soil to grow in, though I think that's a shorter variety to begin with.

Yeah, I haven't bought from them, either, for the same reason. But if they had a plant that I just couldn't find anywhere else .... and likely, they'd have it.

Big Dipper Farm seems to have a pretty good selection.

I think I bought one of mine from Big Dipper and it was puny. I think it's the one that still hasn't grown, but I'm not sure. That's not to say you won't have better luck.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

PDN is a little pricey, but the plants are generally nice.
I've had good luck with them.
For reasonably common stock, I think you can find nice plants cheaper elsewhere.
It's the unusual fringe which is PDN's specialty.
And I'm a sucker for the fringe.

Munchkin Nursery has 8 varieties of toads, including a couple of different yellow ones but no white ones. You all are renewing my interest in toads.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

In my garden, the only drawback to toad lilies is that they are absolutely irresistable to varmints.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm going thur my stock,pulling out the ones that look like they might have that virus and those will be headed for the burn pile. I need to put a few more out into the flowerbeds where I've had some die off for what ever reason.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well...shoot forgot to post this picture of Tojen I rescued from a bed of thugs(ostrich fern and obedient plant)before it was lost forever. It was just a tiny stem struggling to hang on but has made a great effort on re-growth in the pot.

Thumbnail by bigred

Those blooms are gorgeous. I wonder if it's too late to plant these?

Pagan, it's definitely not too late to plant them. I just transplanted a bunch of my parents' tricyrtis in NC a week ago and would even plant up north here for the next few weeks.

The only problem I've had with a few of them is rust. Do any of you know how to get rid of it?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'll hold Tojen over in the greenhouse for the winter then plant it out next spring so it should be real healthy by then.

I'm planting out my early spring/summer blooming perennials and biennals right now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi I just found this forum and thread.
What a thrill to see more than 1 variety of Toads. I have 2 plants and guess I havnt payed much attention to Toads in general. I want to see more. What is PDN? Plant Delights?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

ok...here another

Yup PDN...Plants Delight Nursery

Thumbnail by bigred
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Absolutly beautiful. I know the flowers are tiny but the growth habit is wonderful

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

and last one until I can get outside with the camera

Thumbnail by bigred
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful
Its dark here until 8 oclock.Thats when I take pix

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'll take some this afternoon or tomorrow. Headed out the door to market.

Good luck at market today... when you take your pics (if you see this before you do!) would you use something for scale - a coin, tennis ball, something? I didn't realize the blooms were small and would like to see *how* small. Thanks if you can!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

cat,
Market was pitiful yesterday.I'm glad it was my last day for this year.Didn't get around to taking any pictures. After I got home,I was busy putting away my market stuff(tables,chairs,baskets,etc) then my neighbor came over with a thrift store fall wreath and pot of silk sunflowers she wanted incorporated for more fullness so I sat on the porch with her,talking while I did her wreath then her husband came over,my husband came out, the coffee pot went on and the rest of the day was a bust...LOL

marsue,
I don't know what kind of bug Big Ugly is. I need to post it over on the bug id'ing forum.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a nice neighborhood

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Most everyone on our street are good neighbors but there are a couple of bad apples.Only 8 households on our street.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice that they feel welcome enough to just stop by.

Yup, sounds like a great evening to me!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I really like them, but find that the foliage is getting really ratty looking now, just as the blooms are opening. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thumbnail by stormyla
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Yes,so our mine but the blooms are still pretty.

I just tossed 2-3 dz.gal.pots of toads that look iffy on apossible virus. They looked pretty but I don't want to risk the rest of my stock. Took a lot out of me to pitch them on the burn pile.

this is t.variegata but this time of year you can barely see the faint white edge

This message was edited Sep 30, 2009 4:13 AM

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

This one has long lost it's name tag and my memory doesn't serve me well. The flower on this one is a tad bigger than some of the others

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Another one I've lost the tag on. The pattern of the speckles are so uniform all over. I have this one in several places in the yard

Thumbnail by bigred

Ah, thanks for doing that! They're gorgeous. I might have to get some.... rut ro!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

mine didnt bloom this year,transplanted this spring,maybe thats why

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.