Let's talk about the Toads

This virus that was mentioned earlier - is the only sign of it in the irregular flower color?

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Cindy, the irregular flower color is the only symptom of the virus that I know of.

My late blooming (blooming now) tricyrtis all still look really healthy and not dying back yet (except for the few that have rust spots). Again, any answers on how to get rid of rust?

ge, the tricyrtis I planted this year from trade and purchase have mostly all bloomed, so I have no idea why yours haven't.

bigred, is the last photo a really tall one (3-4 feet)? If so, it might be dark beauty.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It bloomed last year.
Maybe its not over. There is always next year

Summertown, TN(Zone 7a)

A little blurry from the breeze blowing them, but they are blooming away!

Thumbnail by happyNdirt
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Maybe you all can help ID these for me. I have one toad that I got from a plant exchange and it was one big clump. Part of the clump is blooming white and the other part speckled. This is the white part.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I hope this is the other part of that clump.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I think this is the one that has a light green border around the leaf. The bloom seems to have more blue tones than the others.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

This has a fuzzy leaf that tends to stand upright.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I may have gotten this and the one above mixed up.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

this would be one that possibly has a virus...no way to tell for sure unless I sent it to be tested so it went on the burn pile. Better safe than sorry

Thumbnail by bigred
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

What is wrong with the plant that makes you think it has a virus? Just wondering what you were seeing. One of mine had a lot of leaf problems. Looks like rust to me. I also noticed a friend of mine had to same problem on some of her toads.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

see how the burgundy has taken over the petals...it's only suppose to be small splotches of color.

What beautiful pics. Have a question. With the two varieties I have - as well as some of the pics - the flowers are right at the stem/leaf joint. Some of the pics show the flowers as more of a spray - on longer flower stems. Is that difference purely by cultivar? I would love to find some of the latter form where the flowers are held more above the foliage. Can anyone recommend varieties that exhibit this form?

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Cindy, I think the difference is by species. I think the hirtas have flowers along the stem, as I believe my dark beauty and miyazaki are both hirtas. I'll have to have a look to see if any of the others do, but I think they have no less flowers at the top. Feeling really unobservant in my answer.

So T. formosana would tend not to have the longer flower stems? My 'Gilt Edge' and 'Amethystina' (both formosana?) don't have the longer stems.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'll have to look...but I know my Amethystina,Tojen and Seriyu(have to check spelling on label)have stems.

As much as I like the toads I have, having the flower stems would give a little more impact for these beautiful fall flowers.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Ooo,I love the ones that bloom in the axis of the leaf. They're always so full of blooms running down the stems. The ones on stems do make nice cuts though.

Ohhhh - I never thought of them as cut flowers. Since I can't grow orchids, they're the next best thing and would be lovely in a small vase.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Diff'rent strokes, I guess - I always thought the coolest part was the pattern the blooms made cascading down on the stems. Gives some visual impact before you get up close to see how incredible the blooms really are.... PDN used to have a picture up that made me say 'wow' but I can't find it, now....this is a good 2nd, I guess. http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/images/Gardens/Bloom681.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I do like the way the flowers line up along the stems just like my Viburnum 'Pink Beauty' but would also like to try an alternate form.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh sure - I want them ALL!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

The bumblers LOVE my toad lilies and I love hearing them bumblin'...chumblin....that sound they make when there nectoring on the flower. It sounds like they're chewing(with their mouths closed) and humming(humbling?)at the same time,especially if I'm working around the plants their own. Like their not happy I messing with their dinner but not enough to stop eating to do anything about it. Boy ,sounds weird in print.

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi All ! Since you are talking about toads, I thought I would ask my question here:

I have a 'blue wonder' toad lily that I purchased from a mail order company 2 years ago. When it came, it was so small I put it in a tiny pot and nursed it, and it put out a couple blooms. In the fall I transplanted it into a bed. This year it is blooming real nice, but is quite tall and sparse.

Is there anything I can do next year to help it get a little bushier? Or is that the nature of the plant?

I enjoyed looking at all your toads, they are quite pretty!

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have some toads that bigred sent me years back and they took a bit to get established but they are going BIG BONKERS! They set seed now every year and are awesome in the big patch they have become! I cut them back and tossed the seed heads to another part of my garden.

2 problems!

Problem1:
I accidentally pulled some out when weeding. I am hoping they well be ok through the winter in pots until I can transplant them back and anm hoping until spring. Should i leave the pots outside or bring them in to the gh?. If so, what about water? I usually quit watering when the ground is near froze...

Problem 2 - danged if I know the name! But they are gorgeous!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Looks like plain ole t.hirta BB.

talk about seeds...look at all the pods on these. Mix of t.hirta and t.maculata(I think it's maculata)

Thumbnail by bigred
Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow Blossombuddy, mine aren't nearly that *hearty* looking yet. Very nice!

I can only comment on the perennials I have in pots, and what I do for the winter. I make sure they have enough water and I put them in the garage. I make sure the pot, if terra cotta, is not sitting on the concrete.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

toadlily

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

both pics from MOBOT last month

Thumbnail by jmorth
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks smileymom!

I have done nothing but let nature take her course. They are located on the south of my GPS but in the shade and in pratty sandy soil. We get a lot of water here.

This name is sticking in my grey head....miyazaki but she sent me two kinds at the time and heck if I know! I know it probably was something unusual as red likes "weird"! Er is that different!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

This is mine. It's the only picture I have, should have taken one from farther back. It seems much more spindly than the ones here; less shrub-like.

sorry - didn't look blurry on my computer!

This message was edited Oct 30, 2009 5:20 PM

Thumbnail by smileymom343
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

could be..I have that one too

Weird? Are you calling me weird? Ya act like ya know me or something...LOL
Well,excuse but I resemble that remark.*G*

Just about all of my toads are done except for a few stragglers. I'm gonna be out the wahzoo with seeds once they all ripen.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

You meen up the kazoo with them dont you?

Yeah, weird! LOL! 42 years of weird doncha know! LOL!

So ok, I like that varagatored one you got thar.

(Ya gotta pardon us folks, Red and I go waaaaaaaaaaaaay back!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.