Perennials: Let's talk about the Toads, 1 by perenniallyme

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perenniallyme

In reply to: Let's talk about the Toads

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Let's talk about the Toads
perenniallyme wrote:
Great topic - thanks, bigred. I love tricyrtis and keep adding to my collection, but they seem not to be too well-known.

My best multipliers: Dark Beauty, Empress, Taipei Silk.
Slowest growers: shirohotogisu (has not grown at all in 2 years - alive, but still one single puny stem and hasn't bloomed), Tojen, formosana Gilt Edge.

Just this year I got some of the yellow ones. They're earlier bloomers, and I think they'll be good growers, but can't say yet. I have 2 slightly different latfolia and recently found puberula, which I love - yellow with brown spots (collected seed from this one and may be true as I don't think any of the others were blooming at the same time).

I also traded with Kathy_Ann this year for Imperial Banner, Lightning Strike (both have nice variegated foliage) and Lemon Twist, which hasn't bloomed yet. I won't know til next year how they perform, but they seem very happy.

Miyazaki also grows well and is one of the shorter ones. Dark Beauty is one of the tallest- about 3-4 feet in its 2nd or 3rd year and has lovely raspberry-ish spotted flowers. Very similar to empress, except empress is much shorter.

Here's a pic of t. puberula.