The Roundup party is over....but there's always next year!!!

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

The first annual PNW Roundup was wonderful, and it has been fun to be able to re-live and share with those of you who weren't able to join us. I started this thread as a continuation of this year's events....and to suggest....so what about next year?

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Lets do it again, game plan LOL. Set the date, just like they do for the fairs, and gardened shows. then we plan on where we want to go. We have all winter to talk about it. But the big thing is to know a date ahead of time. I would like to do this in the spring, like Pixs said on the flowers at Lake world. that would be so cool to see. Would be neat.
To have a annual round up every year. Just a thought LOL

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I think if we do another one, I'll let Tracy stay home... LOL

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Julie you have great taste in Lantanas - I'm growing the same. Do you ever cut them back & overwinter inside or GH?
RU next Spring: make it May or June. The weather is too unreliable before then; March & April are super busy months for me. but maybe do a plant swap in April? With a potluck? less burden for the Hostess.

Katye, That lantana is three now, and I just love it! It comes in my cooler greenhouse in the fall, and it takes a while for it to decide to bloom for me again in the summer, but it is so worth it!

MMmmm, like the idea of a spring plant swap! And would love to do a group tour of Lakewold when the rhodies are blooming! And a roundup weekend again in late summer would be wonderful...maybe with a little less packed into such a short time! LOL! Maybe even have time for lunch! Hmmm...and a winter seed swap....

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Well, if ya'll want to come to our house, we have the space for Roundup again, or spring fling, or winter seed swap, or whatever. I will even be more organized and relaxed next time!

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

You're looking like "more Summer on the way", Lynn!
And from what I heard, this next week should be awesome for ripening off Tomatoes.

I am lamenting the end of Summer, the dwindling light, the exuberance of plants to put on a great show.
But, looking forward to another season of beginnings: already planning the veg/cutting garden for next year. Now that I have my truck, winter prep won't be as cumbersome.
A seed swap in late winter - Spring Fling at Lakewold with plant swap.....

What's in your plans for next year???

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am scheduling a April trip to work in Bellevue next year. I will wait until the planning is done. Spring is good for me. I also will have a ton of divisions at that time.
I also have a suggestion to visit Montana in June. It is a beautiful sunny time in Montana. The train is overnight and runs about 120 bucks round trip from Seattle. It is a nice sleep in cozy chairs as you cross to our special valley. Karen and I could pick you up and we have lots of space here with our house and our neighbors house who has often housed many family members. She too is a gardener. It is a special time in our garden with trees, columbine, and viburnum blooms. Also Glacier park, two professional gardens here (Gattis gardens, and a MD who schedules tours in his garden). If you drove it is between 8 hours (ME) and 10 hours one way to drive. Though the last 3 hours are beautiful mountains, glacial lakes, and green meadows of mountain wildflowers. The best time would be in the last 3 weeks of June because Karen is out of work for the summer. Just to consider. I know that all of you would not be able to come but many could.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I love it! I'd sure try to get there, sofer.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Now that is an offer I cannot refuse. Besides, it is my favourite part of the country - wanted to move there years ago, but my SO gave me that look: an idea not worth pursuing...

I'm still longing to come for a visit!

Hey,, I found my gardening fork that went missing! I am so excited that I have it back. I had forgotten that I had taken it over to the neighbor's house to dig up soferdig's maple trees. I was talking to the neighbor as I potted them and left it lying by the big maple. I remembered today and went to look. I'm so happy to have it back again!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

"I missssssed you my petttttttttttyyyyyy widddddddllle forkie"
I am serious about a group coming over. So June is my favorite time to be outside and the snow is still up in the Rockies and it is clear and fresh. So everyone plan on a 3 to 5 day time over here. Karen said she would like to meet my garden friends. You could leave on the train on Thurs or Friday Pm Seattle is about 4:45, and It gets earlier the farther south you get it. I have enjoyed the trip and have done it many times. If you want to car over it is easy to leave by 3 PM to get here by midnight. But you miss all of the beautiful mountains coming. We can visit gardens, Go out on the lake in a boat, Go shopping in Cutesi wootsi shops in Whitefish, Bigfork, and Kalispell. Just a trip up to the top of Going to the Sun gives you a pretty good look at "The big guys 'Garden Wall'"
This is June in the mountains just behind the house. We could have a hay ride, bon fire, and wine tasting trip.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2009 9:59 PM

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I absolutely love the Empire Builder. I can catch it in Portland, even.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

YAY! I'm so glad you found it, Melissa! :D

Steve, Tracy and I may very well be up for a little trip to Montana. Um... but no hot tubs or hookahs. *snerk*

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

we have hot springs and local entertainment to replace the tub. I will be home longer than the weekend so if people want to stay longer they are welcome. so much to do here. I too enjoy the empire builder for travel.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

We've talked about taking that train to your area but were bummed to discover it ran overnight when everything would be dark and we couldn't enjoy the scenery! When we've done the drive, it's 9 hours. It is mostly a very pretty drive; just that part before and past Spokane is not my fave.

I would definitely come but would stay with our friends in Kalispell. My youngest son graduates on June 12, so any time after that would be best for me.

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

A spring Ru and plant exchange is a good idea! A lot of stuff I would have to exchange is a lot easier to transport before they get too large. Like Joe Pye weed and Darmera.
Montana is a tempting thought..since we have so much time to plan we might check out some possibliities like pooling our pennies for a bus or something.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2009 8:59 AM

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Or we could go together in our motorhome.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll rent a small motorhome/camper to drive from Portland and bring my dog. Are dogs allowed? I would love to see more of Montana.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

We've done the drive to Big Fork. We left the main highway and headed northeast on a two-lane road and the scenery was fantastic. Left here at 7:00 and got in early afternoon. Easy.
My ex-SIL lives east of Big Fork on the Swan River. If you are over there be sure to go to Big Fork for a shopping trip. Wonderful little tourist town. Very quaint.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Bigfork must be huckleberry capital of the world.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Pretty close. I came home with some huckleb erry products. Yummy. I also brought home a car packed to the gills with antiques and neat stuff. Fun!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Okay Steve, Me and hubby are in but we will drive, he has not been there in years. We need to get outta dodge LOL I have always loved Montana. Set the date so I can put it on my vac. time for next year. This is so what we need. ^_^

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Richmond B.C., Canada

Siigghhhhhhh....
If only I could bring plants across the border. :(

I would be totally game for a roadtrip to Montana! I have visited a couple of times in short stints, and have always wanted to go back and see more. Could probably con DH into coming as well if I could lure him with a place to ride the motorcycles. Steve, are the trails/roads there for licensed/dual sport bikes only?

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Julie, I just mentioned the trip to Joey, and he sounded interested. Maybe we could go together in the motorhome and trailer the bikes. We could take turns driving the mh and riding the bikes if we wanted to. When we arrive, Steve could lead the pack, and we could all go for a ride(s). The only drawback is time, just not enough of it!!! We would like to ride to Eastern Montana to see friends there, as well.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Steve, sounds like a really good idea to me. I have only been in your area once before but know how beautiful it can be.
I would probably tag along with Rarejem and her DH, should he choose to go, or else us girls could just drive over together.
The train sounds fun, but not so good if it is during nightime hours.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Me too! Me too! Can I join in? We are planning a trip back to Montana next summer with a stop to see Sof and Karen and I'll arrange it for the same time if I can. Great idea to plan early so every one can work with the dates!

Yup, time is an issue, but the Motorhome for transpo would get quite a few of us there in one rig. Sigh.... to be retired and independantly wealthy enough to have a staff to tend our worlds when we decided to travel....

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

We in, To bad we sold are Goldwing this would be a good ride. LOL

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm sobbing!! I want to go too. I will if I can, how's that?

Eugene, OR

Sounds like another fun trip, but too many responsibilities keep me grounded for the time being. Maybe someday.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Sally, it depends on family responsibilities for me as well - my parents are aging quickly at 93 and 87 and they are in Lake Tahoe. That's a long way from Montana!

I hope all is well with you.

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

I am hesitant to make a long term committment with my elders on the edge as well!! If nothing else I will just have to sob with Willowwind2. Your place or mine?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Willow, if you are able you can go with us. and share the driving. LOL

Eugene, OR

Mom is 95 and slowly getting better after being ill last month. She's sharp as a tack and hates not being able to do for herself. But we manage to laugh each day. I'll dream about Montana and wait to see more of Sofer's pictures, it's just so beautiful and on such a grand scale. Mom enjoys the pictures too, especially Julie's Phoenix. LOL

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Please, folks, don't hesitate to take the Amtrak because it's not ALL at night. You still get a view of Glacier that only mountain goats do.

I'm so jealous of people with families that do things together, like riding bikes & motorhomes together.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Maybe my brother would meet me there -- he's the one looking to buy near Essex, I think, on a fork of the Flathead.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Azorina we can meet in Port Orchard at Debbie McComber's Tea Room and cry together.

Tils if I can go I would be glad to drive all the way.

But I have to be here most of the time now for my DH.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

We are talking about next year, hope things work out for you two. Hugs
I am headed to calif. end of Oct.

Good news, they took my Step Dad off the ventilator and he is breathing on his own. They have to do a small surgery so he can eat. and they are sending him back to the nursing home. He is 94 I don't know how long he will last.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.