Clivia leaves are yellowing

Medina, OH

Separated some Clivia pups this spring and now I see the leaves are yellowing-not to mention that one of them is showing a flower stalk. The pups are in the same outside location as the parent plants and they thrived. Any ideas? Thanks. Susan

(Zone 1)

I don't have any advice when it comes to Clivia, I don't know much about them and I can't seem to keep them alive for very long. Usually yellowing leaves is a sign of too much or too little water. Do they stay in the ground all year where you live? Do they go dormant and lose foliage in the winter?

Medina, OH

Hi Plant Lady! I keep my plants in pots and bring them in before frost. Funny how the house gets smaller as I try to figure out which plants go where! I did notice that the Clivias in plastic pots are tending to be more yellow than those in clay; so maybe water retention is playing a part. Mine do not loose their leaves in the winter, but do seem to stop growth until spring. Plan to do some transplanting this weekend and will see if the clay pots make a difference. See ya' on the forums. Susan

Danville, IN

Clivia's hate too much water, and staying damp. Be sure to water sparingly and only when the soil has really dried. Water well, then let dry almost to the point of bone-dry. Clay pots are definitely better!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9b)

Susan,
It is probably to much water. During the growing season Clivia should be watered once a week if it hasn't rained. Fertilize during these growing months. They don't like their roots disturbed so possibly the yellow leaves are a combination of transplanting and the container staying to wet with the small amount of roots on the "pups" verses the amount of soil in the new pots. Clay is the better choice as it allows the soil to breath and dry out almost eliminating root rot. Fall and winter are the dry periods in South Africa where these plants are originally from so very little water is required from fall through mid winter and only enough water to keep the foliage from wilting is required.

It is common for the older leaves on Clivia to die and the lower leaves are shed on a yearly basis ... if you are experiencing yellowing of leaves in the upper part of your plants it may be rot or disease. September is an unusual month for flowering for most Clivia this may be from transplanting stress. Hope your plants are improving.

Danville, IN

As houseplants, clivias flower anytime from September through spring, in my experience. If in doubt with watering, hold off. More plants die from over-watering than under-watering!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9b)

Blooming size Clivia miniata require a dry rest period during late fall and winter ... they also like cool or cold nighttime temps (35 to 55 degrees) during this dry rest period to set bloom. The North American Clivia Society has their yearly flower show in early March ... the height of the blooming season for Clivia in North America!

September is not a usual time for Clivia miniata to bloom and off season flowers are usually inferior with short scapes and flowers squeezed down between the leaves. There are varieties that have been hybridized (interspecific or Cyrtanthiflora Group) that do bloom a little earlier but the typical houseplant grown by most is Clivia miniata and they bloom in the spring!

Danville, IN

revlar: I agree that clivias bloom mainly in early spring, but my old plant (over 20 years) has surprised me with blooms as early as September and as late as June, but usually in February or March. I do prefer them to bloom in late winter when I'm most starved for flowers! I summer mine outdoors and in a heated sunroom from late September till May. They are great plants.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I absolutely love my clivia. It blooms at least three time a year (the plant is humongous) and never fails to please. I just repotted the thing and hope to have spectacular blooms in the spring. I left it outside until it wasn't safe from frost and keep it in a cool corner of my heated sun room for the winter. I would love to have a yellow flowered plant just to see if it is as spectacular as old faithful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.