What's happening in your early fall garden?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1031234/

Japanese maple leaves are just beginning to turn. They won't be in their full glory until October and November.

Thumbnail by doss
No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Very pretty, doss. I love seeing the different varieties when I visit my sister and mom in OR - everyone seems to grow them there.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

"Maybe" things are getting back to their normal schedule. This Sasanqua Camellia is loaded with buds. Last year at this time it was in full bloom already. Normally it's October and November when it's in all of it's glory...so this is a good sign.

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

This purple yarrow has been blooming non stop since May.

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Two-fer tree rose "Livin Easy" and "Easy Going" on one trunk. Extremely prolific bloomer.

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Last scape on Royal Easter daylily. This year was a bonanza of blooms on all my dl's...makes sense , as it was their 3rd year after being planted and they did indeed "leap".

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh rats! I was hoping that it was a real pelican!
Beautiful roses. It is good news that the camellias are doing their thing at the right time. And I'm so glad that you are having good luck with your daylilies. Only my Stellas are blooming right now.

Lookin' good, Mike!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Things that seem out of season: The hippeastrum sent up a flower stalk with four+one buds on it. The Hymenocallis narcissiflora began blooming in the worst of the heat and its last flower stalk of 4 or 5 is still going strong. The Platycodon is doing a scattered rebloom. The Campanula sp. has a few flowers on it.

Continuing satisfactions: the Lady in Red Salvias that line my walkway are up to 5 feet or so. The dark red Shrimp Plant is taller (at least 6') and fuller, looking like the ones I saw in Daytona FL. The Santa Barbara "dwarf" Mexican Bush Sage is not blooming, but IS approximately 5' in every direction (dwarf my eye!).

I let my herb garden pretty much die of neglect (oh, right, I don't cook so I don't need herbs!), but I'm seriously considering going to the Fullerton Salvia Sale and replanting it with some of the smaller sages like May Night, Blue Hills, etc.

Osborne Prolific Fig is just done with an ENORMOUS crop. Hachiya persimmon has a number of green fruit on it; it didn't flower or bear at all last year, so that is good. The dwarf Meyer lemon has a *bunch* of green lemons on it. I don't see fruit coming on the Moro blood orange, but it may just be too soon. No fruit setting on the Mexican lime but it is a baby tree that got damaged by gophers in the spring.

~'spin!~

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking good JasperDale. : - )
All I can say is that the acorns have started to fall, the walnut trees are full of crows and leaves are starting to fall off of the poplar trees. I hope that means rain soon.
My b.fly/h.bird garden, with the San Jacinto Mountains in the background. Taken a couple of days ago.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

PedericksCorner, and anyone else who is wondering. Every day when I get up, I go out and look for Olympic swimmers (toads/frogs). I hate to find floaters in the pool. I can't keep them out, but I do rescue them when possible and try to keep them out but they keep coming back in. Must be tunneling under to get in.
The clorine doesn't seem to bother them.
That little toad swims faster than me too! He didn't want to be caught and I had to chase him down with the net on the long pole. He hopped away, and I haven't seen "Stumpy" since.
I'm glad he has the ability to regrow his leg. That makes me feel better.
Way cool looking exotic salamanders. Too dry here for them except as pets. I'll have to ask my friend Tina at Wet Pets if she has ever seen one.
WIB,
SW

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

In Hawaii we left a long board in the pool so the bufos could get out...can you leave a board floating, or some kind of artificial lily pad or something?

How clever, Sherry! That way they can have diving contests!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Wish I could grow Jap. Maples.

Last week in Eureka CA>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

the redwood trees are starting to do their dropping thing right about now. I tried to plant some things under them but without much success. Too dark down there. I know that the droppings are good for the trees but I have to get them up. My long-haired dogs get the things caught in their coats and they are a mess to get out. I do love the trees but what a mess!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I can relate, doss. My fat cat climbs up inside a wall of old Italian Cypress form the property next to me and come in with that stuff all over him and stuck to his fur...then tries to shake it off and it flies everywhere.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I think DH killed the artichokes. Looks like they went to seed. I hope I can salvage some for planting next year. Sigh.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

My baby pineapple is getting bigger.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'll usually have a floating mattress in there they can climb up on. I forgot why it was removed. I'll put it back.
I love this photo looking straight down on the baby pineapple. : - )
Nice to see a fall color that isn't yellow or brown. Japanese Maples are beautiful.
WIB.
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Love the photos of the pineapple, SW! Really looks like a bromeliad at that stage.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

It does look pretty neat, KC.
I figure you will all be sick of watching it grow before it comes time for harvest. But then again maybe not. I just have to make sure it gets watered while I'm on vacation. : - )
I have a lot of fun watching things grow, and this is a novel experience for me too.
WIB,
SW

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the geometry of things in nature, too. Also I am amazed that you are growing a pineapple, I thought only Hawaii and southern Florida were candidates for pineapple.

~'s!~

This message was edited Sep 11, 2009 9:01 PM

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

It is inside the gh, ~'spin!~. It seldom gets too cold in there, and hopefully it will ripen before it does get cold. Last winter it was fine in the gh. Am hoping it will be okay. : - )
WIB,
SW

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

OIC! Of course, those pictures on the other thread were all about greenhouse, I should have guessed.
~'s!~

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Dahlias are still going strong in Humbolt County>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I was surprised to see Lavender still blooming along the coast, must be the cooler weather that the off shore breezes brings>

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Lavenders do exceptionally well in coastal Calif. and will pretty much flower year round.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Our Lavender is spring-early summer flowering.

Verbena flowers longer, this is in Humbolt Co>

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Beautiful !

Any verbena I plant gets mildew within 5 minutes here.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Mildew is not a problem here...heat and humidity are.

V. bonairensis in Humbolt, no mildew up there>

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I should have added that one as the exception. It does do very well here...to the point of invasiveness ! But I still like it.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It is a dandy cut flower, for a verbena.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

That V. bonairensis is striking in front of the ?golden cedar?
~'spin!~

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I would guess some kind of Cypress (the golden tree above)

At the motel>

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Wow, JasperDale, I didn't know there was such a thing as a purple yarrow! Where'd you get that beauty?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Heathers are popular along the North Coast too.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I saw heathers in a lot of landscapes>

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Surf: Armstrong Nursery.

First trip to England was in June, I believe, and most of the heather was past flowering. Had my DH drive all over creation to find a field of heather so I could sit in it and get a picture. Funny, it always looked soft and cushy in the movies and TV, but I learned it was not! Still loved it.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Jas--the one in Long Beach, the old Park Nursery?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.