Heidi Chronicles: More Life With Baby

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, Marylyn,

That must have been very difficult for you growing up - and now. I hope they are doing well. Are either of them able to hold a job? Live on their own?

I've seen many programs on education channels in which autism is discussed. They often show video of the autistic children to show their behavior. Much of what I'm seeing with the kit reminds me of what I've read/seen about autism - except that the kit doesn't show signs of frustration/aggression. It's interesting to hear that you agree.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

The very incredible thing that has come out of all of this is the fact that the little kit is now comfortable coming up to me and taking treats from my hand. Just to put this into perspective:

When Heidi's kits 1st arrived, Joey and the others quickly learned to come to me for treats, but the little one would never come anywhere near me. She always stayed either in the weeds or beside or Mom nibbling or, most of the time, sleeping behind her mom. Even to give her treats, I had to toss them over Heidi and try to get them to land at the kits feet or in front of her nose.

Then, if you recall, we went through that brief period a while back where Heidi taught the others to stay back a bit. After that even Joey would no longer come close enough to take a cookie from me. Joey and the other two will come up to about 1ft away and then wait for me to toss them something.

Then, after I spent 2 or 3 nights out there waiting with the little kit after she was left behind, suddenly the next night when I went out there and sat down, when she saw Buster come up to me for treats, Heidi's little kit walked right over to me to 'ask' for a treat, too. These days she come over to me every night. Most nights she stands there at my knee between treats. Even when the treats run out, she will come back a time or two later in the night to check, you know, just in case I magically find some more. She is quite adorable and has become my new best friend - next to Buster.

Even though that kit didn't stay with me those nights, didn't even come near me except the one time when she walked up to within about 3ft of me and then promptly left to continue searching for her mom, something about me sitting out there with her those 1st few nights, talking to her, telling her it was ok and her mom would be back, something about that clearly caused the little kit to bond with me enough to go from staying behind her mother and ignoring me to now coming over to me every night. I really would not have expected this - especially since the kit didn't stay with me those nights when we were out there alone waiting for Heidi to return. I had stayed in part in the seemingly vane hope that my presence might help the kit to feel even a little bit less alone (as well as to intervene should a big raccoon come along and bother her). I guess my presence did matter after all - even if only a little.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

You are the world's best raccoon babysitter, Cheryl, bless you!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Kywoods! : )

And bless you, too. A few minutes ago I read that last post for the 1st time - and at the end I had no idea what the heck I was trying to say. Bless you for managing to figure it out! Just a minute ago I was thinking I should wipe the whole convoluted thing out (hopefully before anyone saw it) and write it over. I figured I could state the important parts in a sentence or two. But, alas, I was too lazy.

The gist, which I gather you managed to get but which I repeat her for the benefit of all, is that before I 'babysat' the little one, it wouldn't come anywhere near me. After 2 days of baby sitting it started waltzing right up to me for a snack (during regular buffet hours) - even though the rest of Heidi's kits will no longer come to me. So now when I go out, Buster and his sister sit on opposite sides of me getting their treats, and little Precious (I think that's what I'm going to call her) just walks right up to me to get hers. Meanwhile, the rest of Heidi's kits, the larger and generally more assertive ones, stand back wanting a cookie and looking at their [usually timid] little sister in awe. (Then I toss them treats, too, of course.)

I am especially amazed at all this because when I babysit her, Precious never comes to me and rarely even comes near me. She spends most of her time either canvasing the yard in search of her mom and siblings or sitting in the weeping willow tree to await there return. I sit there talking to her, telling her "it's ok" and that her mom will be back soon. I figured she wasn't paying me any attention, so I'm amazed to see that we are buddies now. I guess she was paying attention after all. (Note to all those who talk to a lost or frightened animal from afar hoping to let it know it isn't alone. Even though you may never know it, they may be listening to you and your words may be comforting them.)

Thanks, KyWoods!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I would like to preface this next remark by saying that Precious (the little one) normally flees with the crowd when something scary happens. I think it was Buster and his sister who used to stay at my feet when the others ran away. Don't worry, BTW, those 2 have long since learned to run and hide with the other raccoons when somebody hears something scary. So, anyhow...

The other night while I was feeding treats to the kits, the box slipped from my rather small hand. I juggled it for a second or so and managed to catch the box. I looked up to find Heidi hiding under the small table beside the shrubs. Everyone else had disappeared into the weeds somewhere. Only little Precious sat there at my feet saying, "Could I have another cookie, Please?"

Now even though she gets left behind when they leave each night, Precious always knows to flee when the others run from danger. That's the 1st time she ever stayed behind when they ran for cover that way. I gather she wasn't scared because the sound was coming from me, and she has decided I'm safe - so whatever I was doing to make noise, it wasn't anything to worry about.

I know her larger and more adventurous siblings are shaking their heads these days trying to figure out how little Precious managed to get ahead of all of them in making friends with the big, scary human.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
That must have been very difficult for you growing up - and now. I hope they are doing well. Are either of them able to hold a job? Live on their own?

Apparently I "sound" quite old - I mean mature - in here! LOL (I'm teasing, not offended!) My bunnies are ages 8 and 6 and are doing quite well, all things considered. We are homeschooling them - which is great most days. (grin) They are both on the high-functioning side of autism, so I expect them to be able to be able to hold a job and live on their own by the time they are adults. ^_^

Precious sounds like the perfect name for your new little friend. :-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, Marylyn,

I had to go back and re-read your post. For some reason I thought you said 2 sisters! Oops. Sorry. No, you don't sound "old", er, "mature". I often read posts at one time and posts responses at another, usually the same day, but sometimes as happened here several days may go by between the time I read the posts and when I reply. I guess that's how I made that mistake. I was just so sure you had sad 'sisters'.

When I read your post, still thinking 'sisters', I was confused. What did I say that would make her sound old? Surely, Marylyn is grown now and thus so are her 'sisters'. ; )

As for your daughters, it sounds like you have the situation well under control. It also sounds like you are a very special person who understands that the blessings in life don't always come in the exact form we anticipate. Wait, isn't that the theme of the Heidi story?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Marylyn,

Actually, I think you come across about the age you apparently are. That time when you gave us the link for your book, I recall being quite surprised when I saw the pictures (which at the time I thought were) of you. The photos did not fit my image of you in age or otherwise. (In fact, I thought I had seen a picture of you previously somewhere out there in DG land.) Of course, you later explained that the pictures in your 'book' were not of you.

So, no, you don't sound old.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Cheryl--You are the bestest human racoon mom around!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Sheri!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Is the weather still cold/cool out there for most of you? Until yesterday we were still 'enjoying' days in the 90's. Some nights I was sweating while sitting out there at the buffet, mostly because it was so stuffy and humid.

Yesterday a 'cold front' came through. Now we have daytime highs in the 80's - yes, for us that is cold - and nights in the 70's, but it was still 80 when the 11oclock news came on the other night, so it's not that cold. It is still tank top and shorts weather here.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Our highs are in the upper 80s right now - and like you, that's a welcome relief the upper 90s and higher!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Marylyn,

We are experiencing unprecedented lows in the low 80s right now as a result of that cold front from Canada that dropped down on us a couple of days ago. It's very nice, although I doubt this is what most people think of when they hear the term "cold front". The professor for my recent class had flown here from Vancouver. He was not prepared for our 'crisp' fall weather. (we were still in the 90s then as that was before the cold front.) Apparently, he was also unprepared for our lack of public transportation as we had to drive him around town all week: to class, to lunch, back to the hotel, not that we minded at all. He was hilarious, and it was a great opportunity to get to know him.

I can totally relate to what you say about upper 80's feeling good after a few months in the upper 90s and low 100s. Enjoy.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Two nights ago (I didn't go out last night. Lately I'm on a every-other-night routine) I went to my back door to find a kit (Buster) lying on the mat outside the door. He wasn't curled up but was stretched out completely on the mat, back and legs straight out, lying on his side, head down, sleeping. He looked quite peaceful there. The only sign of another raccoon was the big, fluffy tail sticking out from under an Adirondack chair on the other side of the patio.

I figure my new every-other-night on/off schedule gives me more time to get stuff done and gives them more time for foraging classes. It also cuts the food bill. The raccoons don't arrive hungrier, so clearly they are able to find sufficient food in the forest, but they do seem to be more appreciative now. It's as though even the young ones now realize that buffet meals are a gift not an entitlement of birth. Their behavior at the buffet is much better now.

Starting a few weeks ago, I have also cut back on treats. This, I think, is harder on me than on them. In the beginning, I had to some cookies or whatever in a canister and take that out leaving the bag inside. Otherwise, upon seeing those cute furry faces, I would have given out the whole bag as usual. What can I say, I'm a pushover.

The 1st few nights of cutting back on treats was difficult. Buster and Muffin (his sister) would be on either side of me standing upright trying to get me to fork over just one more cookie, and if I had had one with me, I would surely have caved. They are creature of habit though, so after a few days they learned to only expect 2 or at most 3 treat items. Soon I found myself breaking cookies in half and giving each one 2 or 3 halves for the night. Now I've reached the point where I can give them a few small treats and put the top back on the canister without feeling the need to empty it. Not surprisingly, this causes them to eat more of the nutritious food and to appreciate their treats more when they get them.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

The"cold"front is indeed chilly here. Suppose to get to mid 40's tonight and I still have some tropical's out in pots. I don't think it will get quite that low......I hope as the weather channel here is for D.C. and we are 50 miles south of there. Generally its 4to 7 degrees higher where I live. The other night they called for 48 and it was 54 here. I have to get the garage cleared out so I can store my tender plants for the winter. So much to do.....enough time.....just lazy!!!

Sounds like you are getting things under control at the buffet. The other night I got up to seven raccoons before I left. They just get the cheap dog or cat food from Tractor Supply(unless I run out and have to buy from the grocery store). I take out occasional treats,MM's cookies,etc. I don't know what has happened to the adults. These are all yearling size and kits. I never stay out more than 1/2 hour so they may show up later,but probably don't find much as the young ones eat it up pretty fast.

Judy

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Judy,

Oh, I hate it when a sudden unexpected frost threatens my plants. Hope you are able to get them in before that happens. If not, maybe you could toss an old blanket over them. That has worked for me in a pinch.

Interesting that you are seeing yearlings and kits but no adults. Different groups may do things differently, I guess, just as different human societies have different rituals and behaviors. Or it may just be that the adults are more cautious and are hanging back and hiding out when they hear the door open or see the lights on or otherwise suspect that you are around.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Lately, I've been something of a slug. Might be the meds. Anyhow, last night I had to force myself to get up and go outside - late, very late. It was just after midnight when I got out there. I was confused to find 3 kits, Freida, and a yearling.

I scratched my head at 1st wondering where Heidi and the other kits were. 3 kits meant one had to be hers, but she was no where to be found. Then as little Precious came hopping over to me, her injured hind leg held high in the air, I realized what was going on. Heidi and the other kits had tired of waiting for me and had gone of on their trek through the forest but had left Precious behind as they usually do at the end of the buffet meal.

I fed them, and as I watched Precious hobble around and eat sitting down I became all the more certain that I had previously misinterpreted the situation. Precious wasn't 'slow', she was injured. All that time in the past when she had been curled up at Heidi's feet instead of eating and playing, what if she had merely been injured. I thought back to the days of Bast lying around, eating very little, nonpaticapatory. Wasn't Precious behaving much the same?

I don't know when it started, don't know exactly when Precious started sleeping at Heidi's feet that way, It had been going on for a while. In those early days I had been too busy getting to know Buster and Muffin and Joey to pay much attention to the little one sleeping back there behind Heidi.

When the kits were very young, Heidi would have brought them straight to the buffet and home again, so even if she were injured, Precious would have stayed with them as long as she could travel at all. Later, as the kits got older and especially as the larger, more developed ones became more active, Heidi needed to take them out for foraging lessons. That would involve walking and climbing longer and longer distances. It would be painful for Precious and might slow the healing of her injured leg. At the same time, she would slow the group down.

At that point, Heidi must have decided to leave Precious at the buffet (after dinner) while she went on to take the other kits out foraging. They would then stop off on their way home to pick Precious up. By leaving her at the buffet this way, they could avoid dragging her around with them while foraging and could also avoid having to backtrack to take her home before the foraging trip. It was all making so much sense now. I began to feel silly for my earlier misinterpretation of the situation.

starlight, this scenario, if correct, would better answer your question as to why it is that Precious is able to follow the group to come to the buffet but not to leave, at least not when they make their 1st exit.

I guess I should go back to feeding them more often at least until Precious gets better. From last night's events it appears as though they are leaving her at the buffet (while they go foraging) even on nights when i don't show up. That probably means she doesn't get much if anything to eat on those nights.

Last night, BTW, she really looked as though her foot was hurting her. In retrospect, I think maybe when I used to see her curled up and 'playing with her feet' she was probably rubbing the injured leg - just like Bast used to do and as you and I probably do when we are hurt. Now that I think about it, when my back pain goes into overdrive if someone didn't know what was wrong with me, they might well think me mentally challenged. Pain makes you act, well, weird.

Is there any way you could put a good pet (canine, I would guess) vitamin for a week or or 2, is something special for Precious? Also, I am so glad that they are eating the more nutritious food rather than so many sugary treats (although they love them) .

Oh I hope little precious makes it!!

I think that you are still the bestest human Raccoon mom ever! even if you don't get it right on the first call!! Heck, what moms do !?!

Sheri ^_^

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, Sheri!

Laughing at the comment about "what moms do". I hadn't looked at it that way. I guess you are right. Even when it's our own species trying to figure out what's wrong with baby can be daunting and we don't always get it right the 1st time.

The cat food they are eating right now (and Precious does eat this) contains a full daily dose of vitamins, minerals, etc (for cats). Occasionally, they get dog food for a week. That also has vitamins/minerals. Some days I give them some of Widget's food. He is currently eating Evo Ancestral Diet for dogs, a complete, organic, hi-protein, low-fat dog food with vitamins and minerals. I also give them cat treats which have higher doses of calcium and other minerals.

I think I will see if I can add a teaspoon of that organic coconut oil to her food. The difficulty is that they often wander about eating a little here, a little there, but I will try. Maybe if she likes it she will stay in one place and eat it all. Actually, Precious doesn't eat a lot of junk food. 2 cookies is her limit even if allowed to eat all she wants.

I sure do wish her leg would heal though. She is missing so much of her early training.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

On a related note, too late to help poor Bast, while cleaning, I recently ran across Widget's 'old' pain medication from when he had the neck/back injury. He was really in a lot of pain. Don't know if you guys remember, but the little fella was really suffering something awful. When I finally found a Dr who understood what was wrong with him, she gave him Metacam. It's a liquid form of the Cox2 inhibitor (NSAID) that I take (like Motrin, but better). He only needed it once a day (as I do), and that changed him from standing around shaking and crying to running and playing. (He's off it now. All better) I still have 1/2 the bottle and multiple refills in case he needs it again.

That would have been perfect for Bast. It is the gentlest of the NSAID's which is why dogs can take it. It works great. Incredibly, they managed to make the liquid actually taste great. To this day, Widget comes running (jumping up and down, standing on his hind legs, begging) whenever he sees me with the box it came in. It came with a syringe to put a tiny drop in his mouth. I wish I had thought of this when Bast was in so much pain. Of course, I could not put a syringe in her mouth, but since it only takes a drop or two (and the syringe is marked by weight making it easy to figure dosage) and since it tastes so good, I could have put a drop or two on her kibble. Also, since it's a drug like Motrin, it doesn't cause drowsiness and therefore would not have caused her problems in the wild. Too late for Bast and I don't think Precious is in enough pain to warrant intervention, but if anyone else ever gets banged up bad like Bast, I hope I will remember this medication.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We'll try to remember to remind you.

I think I sspeak for all here , Cheryl...we admire you so much for what you give and do for these furbiess ^_^

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Marylyn,

As my memory is almost used up now, I'm counting on you guys to remind me about this stuff if we ever need it again. I'm hoping an injury like Bast's won't happen again, but if it does, I think this medicine would be perfect if we ever do have another one out there suffering like Bast was.

Like I mentioned, it's not a narcotic, not anything that would make them feel weird or sleepy, just a gentle on the stomach version of the Motrin or Aleve or aspirin that we might take if we were in pain.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Awwww, Thanks, Sheri,

; )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This afternoon I went to the chiropractor and had a massage. I just have one thing to say. What took you guys so long to suggest this?! LOL, just kidding. I loved it. I told the Dr how every time I wined, you guys would say, "Have you considered a chiropractor?" and I would ignore you.

It's too soon, of course, to say to what extent this will help with the problem, but I really did enjoy the experience. Low light, gentle waterfalls, and soothing massage. What's not to like?

Two things came of today's visit. First, the Dr said, "Wow! Are you ever flexible! That is wonderful!" That seems to be the one thing I have going for me. I'm old and broken down - but flexible as a rag doll. That is my one big skill. When that becomes a job category or even a decent resume skill, I've got it made.

Second, after the procedure was over the Dr said I have an extraordinarily high tolerance for pain. Before I could question the source of this information, the Dr went on to indicate that the amount of swelling, tightness, and such he had seen in my back/hip should be causing enormous pain. He said, "I know you said you were in a lot of pain, but with this back it's incredible that you are up and around at all." Well, to be honest, I really have been in so much pain lately that I often didn't know how I would keep going - but like Bast, I didn't feel I had much choice. It's pretty much, keep on my feet and keep going or die. I have grimaced so much and so constantly in the last few months that I've learned my Mom was right. My face really is starting to freeze this way. I'm getting scowl lines from all that time spent gritting my teeth and trying to keep going.

Ok, Enough whining - for now. ; )

I'm feeling very excited tonight. I'm really hoping this (chiro) will help with my pain. When I 1st got off the table and was following the Dr to the next room, I caught myself walking "fast" (for me), keeping up for a change. Then I realized my body felt somehow lighter, almost as if I were floating rather than walking. That effect has, unfortunately, worn off now, but I remain optimistic. At this point, optimism may be all that I have left.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, one last thing. Today while looking some things up on the internet, I learned that those epidural steroid shots I was getting can CAUSE inflammation of the lining of the spinal cord and CAUSE pain down the leg as a result - among other things. Argh! I don't know if you recall this, but I didn't start having the pain down the leg until after a few of those shots. Scream! So the shots to fix the problem can actually exacerbate it. Nice.

Later, when I was discussing my pain history with the Dr (chiro), he pointed out the very same thing independent of what I had just read. (Having apparently noticed this from my history, he asked if I had leg pain before I started the shots and then explained that the shots can cause those symptoms.)

Considering the shots require me to take a day off work, find a driver, take a couple weeks to work and then don't seem to last more than a week or so (for me), I don't think I'm going to go that route again - unless I find myself in terrible pain with no other choices. After the shots I also notice that I feel down and fatigued for a week or so. I'm really hoping to find another solution.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Don't know if I mentioned this (back to raccoons now) but I haven't seen Bast for a while now. Before she stopped showing up at all, she had gotten down to maybe one visit per week.Since she was coming by so seldom, it's possible I just missed her. I mean, maybe she came by on one of the many nights I took "off". The last time I saw her she was looking great, so I'm not concerned about her. Either way, I think she is going to be find on her own now.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, I know I said, no more about the pain thing, but now I'm just plain mad to think that the chiropractor could "see/feel" that I should be in enormous pain, but I had to fight with that $$##% pain Dr to get pain meds after weeks of torment. The ##%!# pain Dr never actually looks at the area or touches it except to insert the needle and then he's actually looking at an x-ray guided computer screen! No wonder he can't tell I have real pain and need real help. More and more, I'm thinking this guy is just in it for the $$$. Those shots cost about $1k or more and take minutes to administer. I want that job.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Yikes! That hurts in more ways than one!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Good for you Cheryl for getting to the chiropractor. Keeping my fingers crossed this avenue will give you some relief. $1000.0 for the shot..........heck I want that job also!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I have to go back to see the pain Dr again Monday. I need to keep seeing him for now because I need to stay on the pain meds until I find something that works. But no more shots!

Did I mention that now he wants to "burn the nerve". I don't like the sound of that at all. I'm thinking God didn't put in any spare parts. If I have nerves, they are probably there for a purpose. Yep, burning nerves is definitely going way, way, way down at the bottom of my list of things to try.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow... I'm mad right now at your pain doctor, so I can only imagine what you feel like!! I'm glad you found a good chiropractor and I sure hope he can help the swelling go down so the pressure is taken away from those nerves.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Cheryl, I'm so glad you decided to give the chiropractor a try, and even more glad that the visit helped you. I believe you'll find that after a few visits, the relief will start to last longer; and before long you won't need to go as often to achieve lasting relief. Burning nerves sounds awful; that would be among my last choices, also.

I'm confused about Precious' leg injury. I thought she was not the one injured by the rogue male invader; do we know how she got hurt? The injury certainly does make her behavior more understandable; but, like you, I worry about all the training she's missing out on from Heidi.

I'd check with a rehabber before using Widget's pain meds for the raccoons. I know there's a NSAID that's no problem for people (Advil, maybe?), but is highly toxic to dogs; so different species can react very differently to the same medication. Would be great if it's safe, but I'd check with an authority before trying it.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Whooo! This morning I sat up in bed and felt like I'd been taken out by a line backer. Man am I sore - but it's a good sore. That's hard to articulate. I'm seriously sore all over the area of my left hip and left lower back, but my body says it's a good sore, like when you have exercised really hard, not like an injury.

I'm surprised because it really didn't feel like the Dr did anything much, a push here and there. This morning I feel as though I was beaten up - but I don't remember the beating. I do remember that the Dr was constantly intruding on my peaceful enjoyment of the process by inquiring if this hurts or that hurts. But it didn't. At times there was mild discomfort, but somehow it was a type of discomfort that my body interpreted as good. I didn't want the process to end. I think my tolerance for the manipulations (which to me didn't hurt) despite the extreme swelling and tightness also played a part in the assessment of my having a high tolerance for pain. I recall that the Dr said we wouldn't get all of the tightness out in one session, that we could only go so deep, that it was like peeling an onion.

If it makes any sense at all, it feels as though the sore areas are somehow "alive" again and getting oxygen for the 1st time in ages. I was told to ice it today. At the time that seemed like overkill, but now I'm onboard with the idea. I have the ice pack in the deep freeze right now.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Upon further reflection, I've decided that the ability to beat someone up and not have them even realize they've been in a fight until the following day is quite impressive. ; )
I am, as you must know by now, sometimes inclined to hyperbole, so take that into consideration here.

On an unrelated note, I will try to get us switched over to a new thread tonight.

Cheryl- you are a total hoot. I understand completely what you are describing anbout the post chiro workout feelings !!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Marylyn!

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm with you, too, Cheryl, and that's actually a great description of a first (in years) experience of chiropractic adjustment. As your body becomes accustomed to the adjustments, the aftershock lessens and the relief lasts longer. And yes, wouldn't it be great to be able to beat someone up without them even knowing it? I can think of every so many occasions when I would've really appreciated that skill, lol.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth,

I'm glad I [finally] went, too. I really did enjoy the process. My back said, "Ahhhhh!" It just felt good.

As to the medication, I will do that.

I don't know what happened to Precious' foot/leg or when. I'm confused, too. I don't think she was the one attacked by the rogue male. Back then she always stayed right up against Heidi, either tucked up against Heidi's back legs so if Heidi sat down she would be smushed or right up against Heidi's front feet so that Heidi had to eat around her.

Until that 1st night when Heidi left her behind, I never really paid much attention to Precious, so I don't know how long the foot has been hurt. Precious didn't interact with me at all back then. Every time I saw her she was lying down at Heidi's feet I rarely saw her nibble more than a piece or two of cat food, and she showed no interest in treats even when I tossed them to her.

She didn't even come to the buffet in the beginning. If you recall I 1st thought Heidi only had 2 kits. When she did show up, she didn't show any interest in me, and I was too busy with Buster, Joey, and the others to pay much attention to her.

Bottom line I don't know when it started or how, but after watching her the other night trying to eat and sitting down a lot apparently due to the foot, I really came to think that the foot had probably been the problem all along and the reason why she had been exhibiting the whole range of 'strange' behavior including: not eating much if at all, lying around all the time beside Heidi, not playing, etc.

She always, always holds that foot high up in the air whether walking or standing. That 1st night when Heidi left her alone in the yard, Precious cried out in pain when she climbed the fence while looking for and calling her Mom. A few times when I was out there when Heidi and the group arrived, I actually heard Precious crying a minute or so before they got here - which was very confusing to me. In retrospect, I think she was crying out due to the pain of climbing trees and such while trying to keep up with the group - and I think that is why Heidi started leaving her behind while the others went on their long hunting trips.

That's my current take on the situation. A creature reacting to severe pain (but not afraid) often appears stupid or crazy to the untrained eye. When Widget 1st hurt his back/neck (and we don't know how that happened either), I thought he was having some kind of panic attack because he kept standing there staring off into space, sometimes shaking. He would not respond when called, would not play, didn't act like his normal self. He refused to sit or lie down and when I picked him up, his mouth opened like the character in Munch's The Scream, but no sound emerged. Since he didn't whimper or otherwise say, "Ouch. My back hurts" in any language I understood, I thought he was acting kind of nutty. Even vets couldn't figure it out. One prescribed an antidepressant, which I, thankfully, didn't give him. I gave him a tiny bit of Zanax. That the Zanax allowed him to stop trembling and lie down and rest seemed to further the idea that his problem was anxiety. Of course, when we finally learned that he was experiencing back pain, I realized the Zanax had worked (by accident) by acting as a muscle relaxer. (BTW, I would never have just given him a drug as strong as Zanax except that I knew he could take it and at what strength because his Dr had given him a few doses to help him get over his fear of going back outside after his run-in with the pit bull that time.)

I behave much the same way when my back hurts: stay in my chair, don't walk around the halls, don't go to lunch with the others, don't engage in social activities. Except that I'm able to tell them why, they might also think my behavior very odd. In the future, if I ever say some animal is nutty or 'retarded' or anything similar you might want to remind me of this and suggest pain as an alternative explanation.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yes, Ruth,

That ability to whip the heck out of someone without them knowing it - until the next day when you are no where to be found - is quite impressive. It's the closest thing I've seen in real life to the cartoon concept of becoming invisible so you can essentially do the same thing. But these people can actually do it while perfectly visible which is all the more incredible.

The doctor commented several times about the adverse effects of my having waited so long to seek chiropractic treatment for this injury thus allowing the muscles to get all the more tied in knots and firmly set in their current ways.

As for the 'fix' working for longer and longer periods after each session and all that (and why), I actually remembered all of that from my short stint of chiro in my youth. I cannot thank you enough for continuing to persevere in trying to get me to go.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.