Show us pictures of your japanese maples

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Fernleaf Full moon leaf showing fall colors.

Thumbnail by n2birds

Same tree

Thumbnail by n2birds

AJ Lovitt

Nice one, huh

here's the picture (these are still fall pics)

Thumbnail by n2birds

I know this is poor quality of leaves - but wanted to show the dif. in colors this 1 tree puts out.
Still the Lovitt

Thumbnail by n2birds

Orangeola
(this one looks like a spring pic based on the hostas)

Thumbnail by n2birds

Thanks wha - for letting me share. I need to go take some current pictures of my others.

doss - meant to say that my Germaine's is one of my favorites - yours is awesome !! I love the greens !!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lovely trees n2birds. Thanks for sharing. I've never seen the AJ Lovitt and really love the shape of the leaves.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i agree n2b you have some interesting jm's that i will have to consider - the lovett and the fernleaf are very nice and i've been considering the washi for a while.

and not need to thank me - the purpose was for others to share pictures. based on the view numbers on this post there have to be others with some pictures!

Thank you both. I find my green ones up against a green background are the hardest to photo. Maybe thats why I like photo'g them in the fall and spring when there isn't so much competition.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I know about photographing those greens ones. I have a Fairy Hair that is almost impossible to get a good photo of.

Thumbnail by doss

Cute one Doss. That works better with the lighter background. I have seen those and considered it. What color does it turn in the fall ? Is it very showy ?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

No it's not showy in the fall at all. It just sort of fades away. But I love my koto no ito and was excited about being able to keep this fairy hair in a pot. I'm all out of room for trees in the garden.

Hmmmm, have to think about a koto no ito when I come across one then. I've been ordering a bunch of 1 yr old grafts off ebay lately. Hope I can keep them alive until they are worth putting in the ground.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You'll love your Koto no Ito. HEre's a photo of the fall colors. Subtle but beautiful. This photo was taken in 2007. I realize I didn't take any photos of my trees this year. I guess I'll have to do it this fall.

Thumbnail by doss

Oh wow - quite stunning ! About how old would you say that one is ? Are they fast or slow growers ?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

that is very nice doss - hope my new shows a little color this year.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is fireglow that i got from beakerlj this spring. it was pretty tall. supposed to like shade - hope it looks good next to the golden shadow dogwood.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is a small autumn moon that i plan to keep in this large container - this tree is also placed in an area that is shade for all of the day.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and here is an eskimo sunset - not a acer pal. though still a pretty tree with unique colored leaves. This will grow to 25' or so and will be planted in the ground here when it grows up some.

Still have a few more trees to share.

Thumbnail by wha
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO(Zone 5b)

I like that Eskimo Sunset - is it a Jmaple too? Not sure what an acer pal. is ... sure has great leaves and color! I figure when I'm about 120 years old our trees will be grown and beautiful, lol.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

N2birds, the koto no ito was about 4 feet tall when I put it in and that photo was taken about 5 years later. It's now over 9 feet tall 7 years later. Not a slow grower at all I don't think. I'm afraid that it's going to get well over the 8-9 feet that is most often quoted for it. I once saw a photo of a mature one and it was as wide as it was tall. I had to move it to a place where it gets sun most of the day and it seems happy there.

I just checked the one yr old grafts that I have coming and one of them is a koto no ito. So glad you showed me that larger ones now. Must have impressed me even as a baby tree, lol.

wha, your choice on where to put the fireglow appears to be perfect. Love all your color combos in that picture.

edited to say - "and those blue pots you have those in are gorgeous !"

This message was edited Sep 21, 2009 5:53 AM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx n2b - i'm hoping the fireglow likes it there. And i like those pots as well!

Here is peaches and cream that i have planted in front of the rock garden that holds the fireglow and right next to the autumn moon in the blue pot - this area is shade all day.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and behind it is asahi zuru - both of these trees came from greers this spring - asahi had a tougher trip here and arrived dried out - it has bounced back nicely and is showing some new growth.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and this is the last post of my jm collection - a long view that includes autumn moon, p&c, asahi zuru, abigail rose. you can tell how small the fireglow is as it is almost invisible up by the white picket fence.

i would be very interested in seeing others pictures of their trees!

Thumbnail by wha
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for posting all those pictures, wha. You have an impressive collection. I would love to keep adding to my small collection, but I'm really out of good places to plant any more JMs so it's all potted JMs for me for now. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop buying though. In fact, I just purchased two Glowing Embers after thinking about it all summer. I'll post pictures when they arrive and get potted up.

It has really gotten to the point for me where I've been considering tearing out some plants and shrubs to make room for a few JMs.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you are very welcome - wish some more would share theirs.

i know what you mean about space! that is why bonsai is attractive as well :)

i do plan to plant more in the section i posted last - have a little jm orchard so to speak, and there is some that will go in a bed i'll expand in the top section of the front yard next spring.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

wha - how did your interest in jm's start? You should have quite a forest in 10 years!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

pretty typical i think - liked the crimson queens and bloodgoods at first. then learned about other varieties like viridis - then to the moon - he Internet made it real easy to learn what is available. local nurseries only had the standards - now they seem to be adding more varieties.

yes it should be interesting in a few years, probably will need to have some mass transplanting or constant trimming. main reason why in the last two years i purchased to many was i wanted to make sure i was around to enjoy them for a while.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well you have a beautiful garden now and will really enjoy them when they become mature. I know when I plant a new tree I think how old I'm going to be when they become mature and hope that I'm around to see the results! Smart to do it as early as possible.

776 views of this thread, Bill, that's really something. When you decide to thin out your trees, I'll be sure and send you our address, LOL. I think I'll be over 100 when my spindley lil guys grow up. Cynthia

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

the views are up because i keep looking at my own trees :)

i'm sure there are other pictures out there!?!

LOL, they are to be admired for sure! I'm making my Christmas list now!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Been a while since I visited the JM forum. Most of my JM are showing no fall colour yet. Here a few from the past couple of weeks: Ukigumo

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Sharp's Pygmy

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Suminigashi

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and Red Dragon

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Todd, you say that your trees aren't showing much fall color. Is your Red Dragon that red all year long?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Todd same question about uki - it looks great - what kind of light does it get mine does not look close to that.

and thx for sharing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.