Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Bloodgood

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Villa Taranto

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This Butterfly takes constant pruning to keep it in it's place. Given it's druthers it would be a 15 foot tree I think.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Germaine's Gyration. I picked it because it can grow in full sun here.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My favorite seedling maple

Thumbnail by doss
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thank you for sharing doss - great looking jm's - hoping for the best for your koto-no-ito - i planted one this spring and will post tomorrow - will have to consider a couple like germaine and Tsukushi gata in the future

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll look forward to seeing your Koto no Ito. It's one of my very favorite trees. I have a seedling with pseudomonas too. This is the first year I've ever had the problem and some of these trees are over 25 years old. (The Koto is only about 8 years in my garden but still....)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

mine is no where as nice as yours - got 5 jm's from greers in the spring and two did not far so well on the cross country trip - koto was one of them - do not think they watered them before shipping since the other three were still damp - it did bounce back well though and looking foward to it filling out like yours - and i can understand the issue with pseudomonas - hope the trees get through it

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is my koto-no-ito - new this year from greer's and it did lose a lot of it's leaves and bounced back - hoping for a fuller tree next year - it is a tall one though 5-6 feet which was nice.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and this is red baron - that i got from davidsans this year - similiar to the bloodgood although supposed to be hardier and it stayed a deeper burgandy this summer than BG - i have it on the slope uphill/behind the koto-no-ito so the green of the koto will stand out more when both trees grow up.

Thumbnail by wha
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO(Zone 5b)

Have I said recently how envious I am? LOL.
Cynthia

OKAY, now I am really jealous! Bill, your gardens should be on Home Beautiful network! Each photo is amazing. Makes me look at our Missouri gardens and sigh heavily.... I don't think I'd ever be inside if my yard looked as gorgeous as yours. But then, you have a Cynthia who gets to enjoy them, don't you? LOL! (And if I was a mole or vole, I'd choose your yard, ha!)
Cynthia

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

this is a paperbark maple that is in the yard below the koto-no-ito

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx cynthia and yes i do have one of my own although she is not a garden enthusiast - fortunately she puts up with my addition :) And since i have so much going on now as long as i can get them in the ground and hide the shipping boxes they go unnoticed :)

here is the last one for today a long shot that could be better - to the left in front of the yellow thread conifer is the beni shichihenge i posted earlier that you can barely make out the top of - in the middle is koto and behind that the RB and to the right the paperbark maple

tomorrow we will go up the slope and see what is going on up there

Thumbnail by wha

ROFL, you hide the shipping boxes? That's funny. I do the same thing, though. The plants go out and mine (DH Eric) never notices unless I leave them on the front porch. He's great with letting me do what I want - after all, "happy wife, happy life."

I saved this last photo and put it as my screensaver. I like to look at other people's gardens and dream. Of course, nothing in MO can compare to where you live. We're dead center of the US and have four nice seasons, but we are on pure clay and nothing really does well in clay. Oh well. Our goal is to get back to Minnesota some day!

I'm gonna have to study up on the different varieties of JM - you have so many. I moved mine to a table in the center of our covered deck, so hopefully they'll rebound with just a lil morning sun. Have a great day. Love this thread and photos.
Cynthia

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i actually burn the shipping boxes in my fire pit out back when i'm starting a campfire - it is a pain getting out all the stables in those boxes - use the ash in the garden so can't have those in there :)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

moving up top to the front of the house - i have previously posted a crimson queen and sango kaku - here is okushimo in a container.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and a viridis looking down the top of the slope

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and a small one gallon berma bridge from davidsans that is green and will turn red for the fall.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and the last one i have planted up here is pixie - this area of the yard gets full sun most of the day with some shade in the early morning from the house and a break from the white pines late in the day so not prime real estate for jm's

next we will move to the backyard where there is a lot more going on - stay tuned and do not be afraid to share some of your trees.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is inaba shirade that is in a bed next too the full moon maple i posted earlier - last year this was a pretty small tree that i posted on another thread where i tried to duct tape a branch broken over the winter and finally lost.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and this is another viridis right next to the inaba shirade that you can see to the right - will need to move the endless summer hydrangea to the left as it has grown very large this year. probably just expand the bed and get rid of more lawn.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2009 12:34 PM

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and this is a butterfly - in back is two rose glow barberry bushes, a large alberta spruce and a maroon hollyhock, i like the combination - the crazy daisy plant in front might have to move.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and last for today a wide shot of the viridis and inaba shirade

This message was edited Sep 13, 2009 12:33 PM

Thumbnail by wha

Bill, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! It's Home Beautiful for sure. And to think I showed you photos of my lil burned JM twigs - ROFL - had I seen these photos first, I'd probably have just kept my mouth shut, LOL. Beautiful gardens! Cyn

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx cynthia - i have a couple like yours here, the little ones need to grow up and get tough.

here are three jm's that i have in containers on our back patio - komanchi hime from topiary gardens this spring

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009 9:24 AM

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

koto maru

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and the third which i have posted before - beni hime

that's all for today

Thumbnail by wha

I'd have a hard time choosing a favorite - I really like the photo of the looking down the slope - I just like the leaves on it. I keep telling my lil guys to bulk up, lol.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is a new shishigashira from greers this spring

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

villa tatanto from davidsans this spring

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

acontifolium also from davidsans this spring

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

atrolineare that was purchased locally - all of these front the patio with conifers in between

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and to the left of the patio and on the slope that receives morning and afternoon shade is burning embers from davidsans - this is a nice tree and recently found a volunteer rouge cardinal clem growing up into it - will let the continue to grow - this tree is meant to provide shade for the patio when it grows up

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and here is the long view the trees where posted starting left to right - when i decided to purchase all these trees last fall and winter it also meant i had to build this patio - fortunately i had brick left over from putting in a front walkway and the blue stone was from a wall i took down and replaced with a real rock wall - so there was a lot of work for me in the spring - and after seeing how big these trees will get i will be expanding that bed fronting the patio i'm sure.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

for those that know me know one thing i love as much as jm's is rocks - added this little arch to the patio over the weekend.

Thumbnail by wha
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Seeing your garden makes me want to re-mulch mine. It makes such a difference.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

it is also expensive - i go through 20 yards a year - i am putting ground cover every where - sedum and hardy geranium are in front of the patio - they are still babies too

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

The mulch looks so clean in your pictures though . . . is it a real chore to keep looking that way when the leaves start falling?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.